Indoor facility

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Re: Indoor facility

Post by AFCAT » Wed May 01, 2024 9:49 am

The Cats could make some easy cash by putting up a sponsored webcam for the construction. Heck, if BN wants to sponsor a cam, I’ll kick in a few hundred dollars.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Wed May 01, 2024 9:55 am

AFCAT wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 9:49 am
The Cats could make some easy cash by putting up a sponsored webcam for the construction. Heck, if BN wants to sponsor a cam, I’ll kick in a few hundred dollars.
Gotta make sure it's always on and actually pointed in the right direction though. They might ask for a lot of money to handle all that.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Wed May 01, 2024 10:01 am

GRIZFNZ wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:29 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:24 pm
St George wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:42 pm
Good thing dUMb's enrollment is not increasing, parking there has to be a total nightmare. Doesn't look that good for tailgating either.
Is their IPB taking up parking space?

No, the IPF IS located where the practice fields were before. Last fall construction took away some tailgate spaces but they should be opened back up this season. Im told there are plans to build a new parking garage when they start the new dorms.
New dorms and parking garage? Did a dorm get condemned? It is clearly not expansion due to growth. Where is that funding coming from?

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Wed May 01, 2024 10:17 am

Semi (not really)-serious webcam suggestion: Find a broke college student living in one of the new apartments west of the stadium, give him a few cases of beer and a Chipotle gift card in exchange for pointing his phone camera at the construction when he's home and streaming it on YouTube or Twitch.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Wed May 01, 2024 10:41 am

coloradocat wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 9:55 am
AFCAT wrote:
Gotta make sure it's always on and actually pointed in the right direction though. They might ask for a lot of money to handle all that.
There isn't that much to handle really. The athletic department managed to have the BAC webcam working most of the time when that construction was going on. When the cam went down, I just e-mailed or messaged the athletic department and they usually fixed the issue pretty quickly.

“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Wed May 01, 2024 10:43 am

Cataholic wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 10:01 am
GRIZFNZ wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
St George wrote:
Good thing dUMb's enrollment is not increasing, parking there has to be a total nightmare. Doesn't look that good for tailgating either.

No, the IPF IS located where the practice fields were before. Last fall construction took away some tailgate spaces but they should be opened back up this season. Im told there are plans to build a new parking garage when they start the new dorms.
New dorms and parking garage? Did a dorm get condemned? It is clearly not expansion due to growth. Where is that funding coming from?
Funding for the dorms would be done just like MSU funded theirs, student room and board fees.

Funding for the parking garage would be paid by money generated from pay parking and permits.
Last edited by AFCAT on Wed May 01, 2024 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by kennethnoisewater » Wed May 01, 2024 10:47 am

AFCAT wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 10:41 am
coloradocat wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
There isn't that much to handle really. The athletic department managed to have the BAC webcam working most of the time when that construction was going on. When the cam went down, I just e-mailed or messaged the athletic department and they usually fixed the issue pretty quickly.
Honestly this facility is so big I don't think there's a place on or in the stadium to put a camera where you'd be far enough to see everything. What should happen is the Bozeman Market and Deli (across 11th from the stadium, to the west--in the apartment building) should put up a webcam. They could put their watermark on all pictures and they could require all users to watch a 15 second ad about their business before viewing the cam. Cheapest advertising in town.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Wed May 01, 2024 10:51 am

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 10:47 am
AFCAT wrote:
coloradocat wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
Honestly this facility is so big I don't think there's a place on or in the stadium to put a camera where you'd be far enough to see everything. What should happen is the Bozeman Market and Deli (across 11th from the stadium, to the west--in the apartment building) should put up a webcam. They could put their watermark on all pictures and they could require all users to watch a 15 second ad about their business before viewing the cam. Cheapest advertising in town.
The windows on the back of the stadium tower would work just fine for a camera. I was up in the tower during the Spring game and could see most of the construction area from the stadium club room. That's a good idea on running a 5 or 10 second commercial to unlock the cam though or even better a banner or watermark on the image.

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by kennethnoisewater » Wed May 01, 2024 11:01 am

AFCAT wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 10:51 am
kennethnoisewater wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
coloradocat wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
The windows on the back of the stadium tower would work just fine for a camera. I was up in the tower during the Spring game and could see most of the construction area from the stadium club room. That's a good idea on running a 5 or 10 second commercial to unlock the cam though or even better a banner or watermark on the image.
I wonder though, once the walls go up, if you'd just be looking straight at a wall from that vantage point. Maybe at that point the construction is completed enough that we wouldn't see much anyway.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Wed May 01, 2024 11:04 am

The irrigation pond has been drained and altered. The NE corner has been cut down. No longer a rectangular shape. Now has five sides.

MSU - 16 team National Champions (most recent 2024); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Wed May 01, 2024 11:51 am

TomCat photos that he asked me to post.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Wed May 01, 2024 11:55 am

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 11:01 am
AFCAT wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 10:51 am
kennethnoisewater wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
coloradocat wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
I wonder though, once the walls go up, if you'd just be looking straight at a wall from that vantage point. Maybe at that point the construction is completed enough that we wouldn't see much anyway.
Of course, but it's still fun to watch a building go up and follow it to completion. The Tower is far enough back and high enough that you get a good sense of what's going on.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Wed May 01, 2024 5:49 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 10:43 am
Cataholic wrote:
GRIZFNZ wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
St George wrote:

Funding for the dorms would be done just like MSU funded theirs, student room and board fees.

Funding for the parking garage would be paid by money generated from pay parking and permits.
MSU and UM are two completely different scenarios. MSU dorms were at or near full capacity so justifying additional facilities is easy given the demand. No question that future revenues will fund the new facilities.

UM is the exact opposite. They have facilities that are not being used, so they build new facilities? Hmmm…. Seems that it will only make the tenants of the old dorms gravitate to the new dorm making the old dorms even less attractive.

As for the parking structure, UM once handled 12,000+ students. Now they are at half that and need new parking? If the new IPF took away parking and created a need for new parking, that is a really bad planning process. Sounds like poor project management to me. And are these new parking fees (revenue to find the project) just being caniballized from another spot on campus? That is not new revenue generation. It is just moving money from the left pocket to the right pocket.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Wed May 01, 2024 6:04 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 5:49 pm
AFCAT wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
GRIZFNZ wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
St George wrote:

MSU and UM are two completely different scenarios. MSU dorms were at or near full capacity so justifying additional facilities is easy given the demand. No question that future revenues will fund the new facilities.

UM is the exact opposite. They have facilities that are not being used, so they build new facilities? Hmmm…. Seems that it will only make the tenants of the old dorms gravitate to the new dorm making the old dorms even less attractive.

As for the parking structure, UM once handled 12,000+ students. Now they are at half that and need new parking? If the new IPF took away parking and created a need for new parking, that is a really bad planning process. Sounds like poor project management to me. And are these new parking fees (revenue to find the project) just being caniballized from another spot on campus? That is not new revenue generation. It is just moving money from the left pocket to the right pocket.
Lots of different possibilities. The existing structures are old and need to be replaced. A consultant did a study and determined that that some newer structures would entice students to go to UM. There are more cars per capita now than there were back when UM once had 12,000+ students. Etc.

I don't think the IPB took away from parking as GRZFNZ said.

MSU - 16 team National Champions (most recent 2024); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

GRIZFNZ
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by GRIZFNZ » Wed May 01, 2024 8:15 pm

Cataholic wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
GRIZFNZ wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
St George wrote:

Take off your blue and yellow glasses every once in a while and stop being such a hater. On campus housing is currently near 95% capacity and demand will continue to increase due to rising Missoula rental prices. The new dorm will have greater capacity than the 3 dormitories being replaced. Once construction is completed, the old dorms will be torn down, freeing up space for future campus construction projects. The MMAC eliminated many parking spaces in Lot P and the new dorm will take up much of the parking lot near Pantzer, thus the need for a new parking garage.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Wed May 01, 2024 9:18 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 6:04 pm
Cataholic wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
GRIZFNZ wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
St George wrote:

Lots of different possibilities. The existing structures are old and need to be replaced. A consultant did a study and determined that that some newer structures would entice students to go to UM. There are more cars per capita now than there were back when UM once had 12,000+ students. Etc.

I don't think the IPB took away from parking as GRZFNZ said.
Another possibility is simple budgetary philosophy. If their government (state and/or federal) funding isn't based purely on student numbers then they're getting more money than they deserve, at last compared to MSU. In a budget situation you have to spend everything or else your budget goes down. What are the chances they just invented a justification for new construction in order to keep their budget from declining?

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

rivercat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by rivercat » Wed May 01, 2024 9:25 pm

Ok Tom, you are too subtle for this crowd. I find your use of IPB quite hilarious.

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Wed May 01, 2024 9:27 pm

rivercat wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 9:25 pm
Ok Tom, you are too subtle for this crowd. I find your use of IPB quite hilarious.
B as building, amirite?

toM StUber

rivercat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by rivercat » Wed May 01, 2024 9:34 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 9:27 pm
rivercat wrote:
B as building, amirite?
Of course. What else starts with B that is inflatable? Yeah, must be Building.

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Wed May 01, 2024 9:37 pm

rivercat wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 9:34 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 9:27 pm
rivercat wrote:
B as building, amirite?
Of course. What else starts with B that is inflatable? Yeah, must be Building.
I was thinking more a cross between a bubble and a facility…a…

toM StUber