Indoor facility

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

kmax
Site Admin

Re: Indoor facility

Post by kmax » Mon Nov 21, 2022 5:02 pm

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 3:45 pm
Montanabob wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 3:17 pm
kennethnoisewater wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 1:04 pm
MSU01 wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:42 pm
The original plan for the IPF did in fact call for a track that would be used for competition as well as practice.

https://msubobcats.com/sports/2017/9/20 ... spx?id=357
I stand corrected. I don't know why they'd want to build a full facility for that with an 80 yard football field. I'd guess that's a 300m track around that field, which I believe is what NAU has. Don't get me wrong, it would be nice, but USATF indoor nationals last year was on a 200m track in Spokane, and MSU has a good facility for that in the Brick. I suppose if you had all the money in the world you build that, but I'm guessing there aren't a lot of big money donations rolling in to fund an indoor competition facility for track when there's already one good enough to host BSC championships.
The brick is not available year round and has to be reconfigured too often. Permanent track that can be used 365 and probably when players are on the field. Cross country can even use it for winter training
Well sure, it would be great if money wasn't an obstacle. Even with the new proposed facility they could get a lot of training in. I hope they can raise enough money to get a track in there, but I'd imagine most of the donations/pledges coming in are with a football facility in mind. If we were talking about a facility paid for with state money, I'd say build as much as you can build. Otherwise tell donors their contribution is half for football and half for track and see where it lands. I'd love to see somebody step up with a huge donation for the track program.

But if it costs $15M to build the football facility and say $20M to build it for track as well, I'm not sure where that extra money comes from. I say build it big enough to accommodate a track down the road if you can't get the funding for all of it right now. If the money is there, by all means add track facilities. It would be nice to have the fieldhouse freed up for basketball and other special events.
If it were just 15M to 20M difference for the track I don't think it is that big of a problem. The real difference in cost between the two is much, much larger than that.

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

CodyCat
Member # Retired

Post by CodyCat » Sat Nov 26, 2022 4:12 pm

Why did they move the location of this?

Hating the griz since 02.

CatBot
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by CatBot » Sat Nov 26, 2022 4:21 pm

CodyCat wrote:
Sat Nov 26, 2022 4:12 pm
Why did they move the location of this?
Think of this building as an extension of the BAC. They wanted it adjacent so the team doesn't have to cross Kagy to practice.

bcats
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by bcats » Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:09 pm

I thought originally they were going to put a tunnel in so the team could go directly for BAC to indoor. Maybe that didn’t get approved or something.

"Don't give up, don't ever give up." Jimmy V

Just my opinion-- Byron Stulc

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sat Nov 26, 2022 9:22 pm

bcats wrote:
Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:09 pm
I thought originally they were going to put a tunnel in so the team could go directly for BAC to indoor. Maybe that didn’t get approved or something.
Deemed too expensive

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Sun Nov 27, 2022 1:39 pm

Yeah, I think that master plan was a dream that would take a boatload of cash to accomplish. Practicality has now set in and the Cats will take what they can get. No billionaire benefactors that want to put their name on stuff for MSU. I think this new indoor facility will work just fine for what the Cats need right now. I am a bit concerned that the IPF may be some sort of a fabric covered building and not a hard shell, but I’m no designer or engineer.
Last edited by AFCAT on Sun Nov 27, 2022 1:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by kennethnoisewater » Sun Nov 27, 2022 1:43 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 1:39 pm
Yeah, I think that master plan was a dream that would take a boatload of cash to accomplish. Practicality has now set in and the Cats will take what they can get. No billionaire benefactors that want to put their name on stuff for MSU. I think this new indoor facility will work just fine for what the Cats need right now. I am a bit concerned that the IPF may be some sort of a fabric covered building and not a hard shell, but I’m no designer or engineer.
I'm pretty sure the IPF is basically a big warehouse...probably a metal building. I think the price tag is $15M or so, which is definitely not a fabric shell, even in today's construction market.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Sun Nov 27, 2022 1:46 pm

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 1:43 pm
AFCAT wrote:
I'm pretty sure the IPF is basically a big warehouse...probably a metal building. I think the price tag is $15M or so, which is definitely not a fabric shell, even in today's construction market.
Yeah, I don’t know. The photos I saw were of some sort of a fabric covered building, kind of part hard and soft shell. I’m no expert on these things though. Google McFerrin indoor facility at Texas A&M. I know the Cats are looking for something similar to that structure, but probably not with two sides.

Actually, here is a link.

https://www.enr.com/articles/24029-texa ... ge-station

“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:12 pm

The focus certainly seems to have shifted from the IPF as a long-term project requiring much more funding, to a short-term one to keep up with the other schools who are building or have recently opened theirs. Not a bad shift IMO as nobody can afford to get too far behind in the facilities race, but we'll also all need to accept that it's entirely ok if the building gives MSU what it needs even if it doesn't have all the bells and whistles of the original design.

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by kennethnoisewater » Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:19 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 1:46 pm
kennethnoisewater wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
Yeah, I don’t know. The photos I saw were of some sort of a fabric covered building, kind of part hard and soft shell. I’m no expert on these things though. Google McFerrin indoor facility at Texas A&M. I know the Cats are looking for something similar to that structure, but probably not with two sides.

Ah I see. I was thinking more like a bubble.

Honestly if it fits the needs (practicing indoors) and the building can withstand snow loads and Bozeman wind, I'm good with it. It's not a fan space and I'm sure the players don't care.

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:20 pm

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:19 pm
AFCAT wrote:
kennethnoisewater wrote:
AFCAT wrote:

Honestly if it fits the needs (practicing indoors) and the building can withstand snow loads and Bozeman wind, I'm good with it. It's not a fan space and I'm sure the players don't care.
Agree totally...

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:53 pm

RickRund wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:20 pm
kennethnoisewater wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
kennethnoisewater wrote:
AFCAT wrote:

Agree totally...
Another article here: https://coachad.com/articles/from-desig ... niversity/

My understanding we are looking at this same company and would be something like this though exact size and everything may be different. That article gives a good overview of the building construction and benefits.

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sun Nov 27, 2022 3:09 pm

kmax wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:53 pm
RickRund wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:20 pm
kennethnoisewater wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
kennethnoisewater wrote:
AFCAT wrote:

Agree totally...
Another article here: https://coachad.com/articles/from-desig ... niversity/

My understanding we are looking at this same company and would be something like this though exact size and everything may be different. That article gives a good overview of the building construction and benefits.
Makes sense to put it next to the stadium. No Kagy crossing. Restrooms are already there. Next to the locker rooms. And perhaps the facility could be used on gamedays for something-concessions, VIP tailgating, big warming hut-something like that. Also, the space south of the Fieldhouse/tennis facility is still available for a more permanent and multi-purpose structure in the future as originally planned-should that long hoped for sugar-daddy ever shows up.

Steve D
New Recruit

Post by Steve D » Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:35 pm

A standard 200 meter indoor track could be added to the IPF in the future (if desired), if the structure enclosed a full size football field. But it would be difficult to include space for spectators.

A standard 200 meter indoor track is 291 ft x 152 ft

https://sportsvenuecalculator.com/knowl ... out-guide/

And the track could/would be a temporary prefabricated installation with banked corners. Up for track use, and down in storage when being used for football.

https://www.mondoworldwide.com/na/en/pr ... ked-track/

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:18 pm

Donate if you can.

Counter Assault
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Counter Assault » Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:39 pm

Looks about 20% as good as SDSU and NDSU’s.

RICO CAT
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by RICO CAT » Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:39 pm

So it’s not a full size field?

“OVER THEM MOUNTAINS”

ThoughtUKnew14
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by ThoughtUKnew14 » Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:43 pm

Where/how do we donate?

rivercat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by rivercat » Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:51 pm

Counter Assault wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:39 pm
Looks about 20% as good as SDSU and NDSU’s.
Based on what?

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:54 pm

RICO CAT wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:39 pm
So it’s not a full size field?
Pending amount of funding it may just be 80 yards + endzones. Though was told that the type of building can easily be added on to in the future to expand to accomadate full length.