2021/22 signing period thread

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Re: 2021/22 signing period thread

Post by Hawks86 » Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:01 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:55 am
LoggerCat wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:31 am
Seems like a pretty small class this year. I know there is another signing period but in the choate years it seemed we had around 25 guys commit during the early signing period.

Does this coaching staff have less spots to fill due to the extra year covid provides the players? Also, not too many out of state kids this year.
Limited scholarship spots and most of these kids are PWOs. Attrition will continue throughout next spring so transfers will continue to be added as well.
I think Vigen will recruit to his numbers available and then hit the market as spots open up. Choate just oversigned and worked it out later. Two different ways of doing it. Neither way is wrong.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:04 pm

I think there are a lot of reasons. Catching back up from the extra covid class, and I also think we will likely be active on the transfer portal.

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Post by LTown Cat » Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:12 pm

Vim--of the high school kids not named after food who do you think could contribute right away?

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:21 pm

Are there any MT kids left that we're fighting over with the gris?

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

Bozcat003
Member # Retired

Post by Bozcat003 » Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:22 pm

LTown Cat wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:12 pm
Vim--of the high school kids not named after food who do you think could contribute right away?
VIM knows more - but Christian Anaya is a huge get and WR isn't a huge position to adjust to, I could see him playing pretty early.

I'm very high on this OL class, Moore is very athletic for that size, give him a year or 2 and he may be a contributor

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:45 pm

LTown Cat wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:12 pm

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:59 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:04 pm
I think there are a lot of reasons. Catching back up from the extra covid class, and I also think we will likely be active on the transfer portal.
I'll be surprised if the Cats are real active in the portal, maybe one or two more players, three tops. I'm betting on JC transfers. What are the Cats needs and can those be filled through the portal? I believe the biggest needs are at both lines and maybe a linebacker. Good linemen are a premium and portal linemen will be gobbled up quickly, just look at Woody. I guess we'll see when the season is officially over and how many players decide to move on. This Spring will be interesting.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:07 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:59 pm
wbtfg wrote:
I'll be surprised if the Cats are real active in the portal, maybe one or two more players, three tops. I'm betting on JC transfers. What are the Cats needs and can those be filled through the portal? I believe the biggest needs are at both lines and maybe a linebacker. Good linemen are a premium and portal linemen will be gobbled up quickly, just look at Woody. I guess we'll see when the season is officially over and how many players decide to move on. This Spring will be interesting.
I kind of lump jc and drop down Transfers into the same bucket. That said I wouldn’t mind landing a guy like sterk, amandre or John Clark.

jgrilley406
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by jgrilley406 » Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:11 pm

AFCAT wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
Can never have enough people for the lines, but I wouldn’t mind seeing a RB transfer if they don’t see Elliot or Renning getting valuable reps for next season. Idk if ifanse can handle as big of a workload next season, we need him fresh and healthy for another deep playoff run next year. Seems like he’s always running on one leg by the end of every season, wouldn’t mind having another big back that could help him carry the load.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:13 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:07 pm
AFCAT wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
I kind of lump jc and drop down Transfers into the same bucket. That said I wouldn’t mind landing a guy like sterk, amandre or John Clark.
Heck, I'm with ya. If some stud unknown comes available and would like to play for the Cats, grab em up!

“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:17 pm

jgrilley406 wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:11 pm
AFCAT wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
Can never have enough people for the lines, but I wouldn’t mind seeing a RB transfer if they don’t see Elliot or Renning getting valuable reps for next season. Idk if ifanse can handle as big of a workload next season, we need him fresh and healthy for another deep playoff run next year. Seems like he’s always running on one leg by the end of every season, wouldn’t mind having another big back that could help him carry the load.
I thought the RB corps was pretty deep but the Cats sure didn't go too far down into that stable this year. That tells me the talent the Cats have in the room may not be what we thought it was or Ifanse is just that far ahead of his peers. The Cats did offer that Hawaii RB who ended up signing with Liberty, so it certainly wouldn't be out of the question for them to offer someone else.

HelenaCat95
Golden Bobcat

Post by HelenaCat95 » Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:22 pm

Do we bring in a QB?
1- I assume that Touchdown Tommy is QB1 going in to fall camp.
2- Since Rovig is graduated, I assume that he is done playing. He has said he wants to be a coach - could he want to stay as a GA for MSU?
3- Does Baumann stay?
4- Any word on how Austin has done?
5- Do we bring in a QB for competition/depth?

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:23 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:17 pm
jgrilley406 wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
I thought the RB corps was pretty deep but the Cats sure didn't go too far down into that stable this year. That tells me the talent the Cats have in the room may not be what we thought it was or Ifanse is just that far ahead of his peers. The Cats did offer that Hawaii RB who ended up signing with Liberty, so it certainly wouldn't be out of the question for them to offer someone else.
I really would like to know why we didn't see more Martin and Hosey this year. Martin seems like the perfect guy to come in and soften up the defense a bit, even from the FB spot. Hosey looked like the next guy in 2019 but has barely seen the field this year. I agree though that it would be ideal to get II down to 10-15 carries a game through the year so he can be rested come playoff time.

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:28 pm

HelenaCat95 wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:22 pm
Do we bring in a QB?
2- Since Rovig is graduated, I assume that he is done playing. He has said he wants to be a coach - could he want to stay as a GA for MSU?
3- Does Baumann stay?
I think Austin is hurt.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:32 pm

HelenaCat95 wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:22 pm
Do we bring in a QB?
3- Does Baumann stay?
QB Jordan Reed is a gray shirt coming to town in January

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:34 pm

technoCat wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:23 pm
AFCAT wrote:
jgrilley406 wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
I really would like to know why we didn't see more Martin and Hosey this year. Martin seems like the perfect guy to come in and soften up the defense a bit, even from the FB spot. Hosey looked like the next guy in 2019 but has barely seen the field this year. I agree though that it would be ideal to get II down to 10-15 carries a game through the year so he can be rested come playoff time.
Martin played a bit early in the season when RJ was hurt but then was relegated to special teams. Martin is a beast on special teams. I love watching him. Hosey is healthy but just hasn't got in the games. Hosey is an enigma to me right now, he certainly looks the part (size, speed) of a great running back but maybe he just doesn't produce in practice. I just don't know. I won't be surprised to see his name in the portal though.

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Post by gtapp » Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:45 pm

AFCAT wrote:
jgrilley406 wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
Your right. Sumner's carries were down from last year and Elliot, Hosey, Martin and Coon all but disappeared. Going into the season I thought we had the best and deepest running back room in the nation at the FCS level. Not sure what to think now.

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

ECBobcat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by ECBobcat » Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:52 pm

As one who earlier expressed doubts on this staff's ability to recruit, I'll give Vigen and crew credit. When it comes to Montana recruits, MSU's haul was larger than that of the Gris--12 to 10 (maybe 11 if Crews signs). And when it comes to head-to-head battles for Montana players, MSU also won there. From what I can tell, the head-to-head went like this:

Cats (4)
T. Dowler
B. Mastel
E. Abbott
T. Nilson

Gris (1, maybe 2)
Huot
Crews (might not sign)

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Wed Dec 15, 2021 2:51 pm

Can’t wait to watch Taco.

Been a while since we had a home run type threat return guy like him.

FTG- GO CATS GO!

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Wed Dec 15, 2021 3:15 pm

mslacatfan wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 2:51 pm
Can’t wait to watch Taco.

Been a while since we had a home run type threat return guy like him.
I feel like we sign one every year. Charles Brown, Andrew Patterson being the latest examples.

But I agree...I'm excited for Taco