2021/22 signing period thread

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

1984champ
BobcatNation Letterman

Re: 2021/22 signing period thread

Post by 1984champ » Wed Feb 02, 2022 9:22 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 9:08 pm
1984champ wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 9:05 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 9:01 pm
1984champ wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 7:47 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 6:33 pm
kennethnoisewater wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 6:10 pm
1984champ wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 5:22 pm
catatac wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 5:04 pm
1984champ wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 4:39 pm
Congratulations to All that signed and glad to have them as Bobcats. Definitely feel some disappointment coming off of the season we just had and what we have been able to put together on this final signing day.
Why is that? There are some absolute studs in this class. You're never going to have a signing class where 100% of them are starters day one. There will be some starters in this group, several contributors, and some future stars that need a couple years to develop.
I agree with the development aspect but I don’t see the top level talent that we were able to sign in past Choate classes and I don’t see what I would expect to represent a full year of recruiting effort, a brand new athletic complex and the recent momentum from a national championship appearance. We also have 2 non coaching positions dedicated to recruiting.
You may very well end up being right, but I think recruiting has changed a lot even since Choate left. With the transfer portal, teams are going to get a few players with experience every year, which will take a few spots away from high school studs. Some programs are doing up to 40% transfer portal guys. I think MSU is holding back a few scholarships for those guys when they come available. There are some players on this list that don't really pop out at you, sure, but those are generally walk-ons.

Having said all that, I wouldn't be terribly surprised if Vigen just isn't quite as good a recruiter as Choate. If that ends up being true, I don't think it necessarily has to be a knock on Vigen, I just think Choate was that good at getting some of those FCS/FBS tweeners. That guy could sell condoms to a nun.
Choate also missed on plenty in his four years. It's a fickle game and recruting classes stories are not complete on signing day.
If transfers are the answer to fill half a dozen spots, would have been nice to have as many as possible here for Spring. I’m not sure how this will fill out before the season starts but for me it seems we missed the mark and there were opportunities for high school recruits and transfer across the board that could have been pursued and at least offered.
Choate brought in most of his transfers post spring ball. Again, let the whole recruiting cycle play out (which now basically lasts until beginning of summer) before we shut the door on the "on paper" talent of this class.
Agreed most were post Spring. Remind me what was the highest number of post sprig transfers?
Man...it was either 2017 or 2018. I think one of those years it ended up being 5 or 6 post spring ball with Hardy being the biggest name in 2018. Not sure on that number though. The roster is very full right now heading into spring ball so kwep that in mind as well. Natural attrition will need to happen first before more spots can become available.
Thanks. That’s part of my concern. I think we need around 6 guys to get where we want to be and thats a larger number than I can remember.

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by kennethnoisewater » Wed Feb 02, 2022 9:36 pm

1984champ wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 9:22 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
1984champ wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
1984champ wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
kennethnoisewater wrote:
1984champ wrote:
catatac wrote:
1984champ wrote:
Congratulations to All that signed and glad to have them as Bobcats. Definitely feel some disappointment coming off of the season we just had and what we have been able to put together on this final signing day.
Why is that? There are some absolute studs in this class. You're never going to have a signing class where 100% of them are starters day one. There will be some starters in this group, several contributors, and some future stars that need a couple years to develop.
I agree with the development aspect but I don’t see the top level talent that we were able to sign in past Choate classes and I don’t see what I would expect to represent a full year of recruiting effort, a brand new athletic complex and the recent momentum from a national championship appearance. We also have 2 non coaching positions dedicated to recruiting.
You may very well end up being right, but I think recruiting has changed a lot even since Choate left. With the transfer portal, teams are going to get a few players with experience every year, which will take a few spots away from high school studs. Some programs are doing up to 40% transfer portal guys. I think MSU is holding back a few scholarships for those guys when they come available. There are some players on this list that don't really pop out at you, sure, but those are generally walk-ons.

Having said all that, I wouldn't be terribly surprised if Vigen just isn't quite as good a recruiter as Choate. If that ends up being true, I don't think it necessarily has to be a knock on Vigen, I just think Choate was that good at getting some of those FCS/FBS tweeners. That guy could sell condoms to a nun.
Choate also missed on plenty in his four years. It's a fickle game and recruting classes stories are not complete on signing day.
If transfers are the answer to fill half a dozen spots, would have been nice to have as many as possible here for Spring. I’m not sure how this will fill out before the season starts but for me it seems we missed the mark and there were opportunities for high school recruits and transfer across the board that could have been pursued and at least offered.
Choate brought in most of his transfers post spring ball. Again, let the whole recruiting cycle play out (which now basically lasts until beginning of summer) before we shut the door on the "on paper" talent of this class.
Agreed most were post Spring. Remind me what was the highest number of post sprig transfers?
Man...it was either 2017 or 2018. I think one of those years it ended up being 5 or 6 post spring ball with Hardy being the biggest name in 2018. Not sure on that number though. The roster is very full right now heading into spring ball so kwep that in mind as well. Natural attrition will need to happen first before more spots can become available.
Thanks. That’s part of my concern. I think we need around 6 guys to get where we want to be and thats a larger number than I can remember.
I think the other thing that's unique this year is the covid year. MSU has 60-ish freshmen on the roster. I doubt that's ever happened. The coaches have to figure out through the winter and spring ball who they need to cut loose. Also, last year MSU had some "non-counters" who were sixth year guys and they didn't count against the scholarship limit. Those guys leave and don't free up spots because there's no non-counter spots moving forward. Vigen said tonight that recruiting is not over. I just don't think they had the scholarships to work with but they will after they see how guys develop (or don't).

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Wed Feb 02, 2022 9:39 pm

I’m not sure the Cats are even done recruiting high school kids yet and certainly not done recruiting transfers. The portal has changed college football, still lots of talent out there in both the high school ranks and transfers.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:04 pm

1984champ wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
1984champ wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
1984champ wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
kennethnoisewater wrote:
1984champ wrote:
catatac wrote:
1984champ wrote:

I think we only need three players (one offensive lineman, one interior defensive lineman, and one running back) that push for starting spots to get where we need to be next fall. The rest are just depth additions as transfers.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Post by gtapp » Thu Feb 03, 2022 6:18 am

VimSince03 wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:04 pm
1984champ wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
1984champ wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
1984champ wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
kennethnoisewater wrote:
1984champ wrote:
catatac wrote:

I think we only need three players (one offensive lineman, one interior defensive lineman, and one running back) that push for starting spots to get where we need to be next fall. The rest are just depth additions as transfers.
I would add a second defensive lineman and a safety to the list.

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:12 am

I can't help but feel a little underwhelmed as well but I can't quite put my finger on it. Maybe it was all of those highly regarded Choate classes, but half of his 3 star guys never even made it to year 2. Buy in and projection are critical for FCS programs.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Post by LTown Cat » Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:34 am

CelticCat wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:12 am
I can't help but feel a little underwhelmed as well but I can't quite put my finger on it. Maybe it was all of those highly regarded Choate classes, but half of his 3 star guys never even made it to year 2. Buy in and projection are critical for FCS programs.
I'm in the same boat.

I keep telling myself that it is a different direction in strategy and that Vigen knows what needs to be done to take the next step.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:47 am

LTown Cat wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:34 am
CelticCat wrote:
I'm in the same boat.

I keep telling myself that it is a different direction in strategy and that Vigen knows what needs to be done to take the next step.
I'm also in the same boat. The narrative I'm telling myself is that recruiting is different now than what it was 2-3 years ago. February signing day isn't as exciting as it used to be, as most of the class is filled out in december. Also, the evolution of the transfer portal is a total game changer, so we may add a significant number of guys after yesterday's signing day. In addition to all of that, covid and a coaching change in the past year has limited opportunities to develop meaningful relationship with a lot of recruits.

I'm sure there's some truth to all of that, but I'm not totally convinced with the additional recruiting admin staff, a run to the national championship game, the BAC, etc., that we are at our full recruiting potential. Hopefully Vigen and staff can step that up this spring/summer and into next year.

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:57 am

CelticCat wrote:

That’s a good point.

On paper, choates recruiting classes looked like something you would see at a pac 12 school. Crazy impressive!

But..... yeah, like 1 out of 10 actually stuck around, ha. So it’s kinda hard to say which style is better...

We do have some very impressive recruits in this class, that I think will be great players.... like always, time will tell.

FTG- GO CATS GO!

gocats77
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by gocats77 » Thu Feb 03, 2022 11:00 am

Was there a press conference yesterday at MSU with Coach Vigen regarding the signing class? If so, where can it be viewed?

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Thu Feb 03, 2022 11:01 am

wbtfg wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:47 am
LTown Cat wrote:
CelticCat wrote:
I'm in the same boat.

I'm also in the same boat. The narrative I'm telling myself is that recruiting is different now than what it was 2-3 years ago. February signing day isn't as exciting as it used to be, as most of the class is filled out in december. Also, the evolution of the transfer portal is a total game changer, so we may add a significant number of guys after yesterday's signing day. In addition to all of that, covid and a coaching change in the past year has limited opportunities to develop meaningful relationship with a lot of recruits.

I'm sure there's some truth to all of that, but I'm not totally convinced with the additional recruiting admin staff, a run to the national championship game, the BAC, etc., that we are at our full recruiting potential. Hopefully Vigen and staff can step that up this spring/summer and into next year.
Yeah, I don't want to bash any of the guys we got, happy they are all Bobcats, but is there anyone in this class you don't think we could have got 3 years ago? I'm just really nervous that we are going to miss our window and won't take full advantage of the momentum we've built. Leon needs to get the IPF going and Vigen needs to parlay our on-field success into some big-time transfers. He obviously has time but waiting is killing me! :lol:

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Thu Feb 03, 2022 11:05 am

mslacatfan wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:57 am
CelticCat wrote:

That’s a good point.

On paper, choates recruiting classes looked like something you would see at a pac 12 school. Crazy impressive!

But..... yeah, like 1 out of 10 actually stuck around, ha. So it’s kinda hard to say which style is better...

We do have some very impressive recruits in this class, that I think will be great players.... like always, time will tell.
Yup. Some of these players that just committed to the Bobcats are going to be very, very good. Some might end up being the next Troy Andersen, Tommy Mellott, Daniel Hardy, Chase Benson, Ty Okada, Lance McCutcheon, and the list goes on - type of players.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Thu Feb 03, 2022 3:09 pm

I like Vigen's comments in this article. Vigen led the Cats to the National Championship for the first time in 37 years, and I don't think even the most overzealous fans thought he would be able to do that in his first year. I think he knows exactly what he's doing in all areas of the program, and I trust him.

“I think by and large we did address all our position groups. But I know that we’ll have a chance to continue to evaluate our roster and add, whether there’s more high school kids out there or potential transfers as this semester unfolds.”

“Then you look forward to continuing to add talent, work ethic and character to our program, which I think we have in abundance in the group that we added today and the group that we added in December,” Vigen said. “It never stops. You have 16, 17 seniors move on, you have guys continuing to mature in your program, and you need those guys coming up from the bottom and continue to push everybody and keep the ball rolling.”

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

kennethnoisewater

Post by kennethnoisewater » Thu Feb 03, 2022 3:27 pm

technoCat wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 11:01 am
wbtfg wrote:
LTown Cat wrote:
CelticCat wrote:
I'm in the same boat.

Yeah, I don't want to bash any of the guys we got, happy they are all Bobcats, but is there anyone in this class you don't think we could have got 3 years ago? I'm just really nervous that we are going to miss our window and won't take full advantage of the momentum we've built. Leon needs to get the IPF going and Vigen needs to parlay our on-field success into some big-time transfers. He obviously has time but waiting is killing me! :lol:
I don't disagree with you, but you also have to take into account that 3 years ago Choate could say "you can come in here and contribute for all four years, maybe even start for all of them". Even if he would've stuck around, he wouldn't be able to say that now with the depth that's been built up at most positions.

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Thu Feb 03, 2022 3:46 pm

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 3:27 pm
technoCat wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
LTown Cat wrote:
CelticCat wrote:
I'm in the same boat.

I don't disagree with you, but you also have to take into account that 3 years ago Choate could say "you can come in here and contribute for all four years, maybe even start for all of them". Even if he would've stuck around, he wouldn't be able to say that now with the depth that's been built up at most positions.
I mean we just had the QB for our playoff run, our top CB, and our top backup at RB all year be freshman. Several freshman played lots of meaningful snaps along the lines. If the talent is there, they will still get on the field. I get what you are saying though.

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Thu Feb 03, 2022 4:18 pm

mslacatfan wrote:
CelticCat wrote:

That’s a good point.

Made me curious.
Class of 2017 of the 27 listed, 14 still here or graduating. of the 13 missing in 2017, Chad Kanow retired from injuries. Also includes Connor Wood who is at Missouri.
Class of 2018 of the 31 listed on the thread , 13 still here or graduated.

Class of 2019 of the 37 listed, 25 still here or graduated.
Last edited by kwcat on Thu Feb 03, 2022 5:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.

kennethnoisewater

Post by kennethnoisewater » Thu Feb 03, 2022 4:24 pm

technoCat wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 3:46 pm
kennethnoisewater wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 3:27 pm
technoCat wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
LTown Cat wrote:
CelticCat wrote:
I'm in the same boat.

I mean we just had the QB for our playoff run, our top CB, and our top backup at RB all year be freshman. Several freshman played lots of meaningful snaps along the lines. If the talent is there, they will still get on the field. I get what you are saying though.
Haha yeah true. But that's just 3 more spots a guy doesn't have a chance at...plus kicker and punter!

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Thu Feb 03, 2022 5:34 pm

mslacatfan wrote:
CelticCat wrote:

That’s a good point.

Have…have you ever seen a PAC-12 recruiting class?

RICO CAT
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by RICO CAT » Fri Feb 04, 2022 4:48 pm

Coach Vigen must be 7-foot tall because he is head and shoulders above some of those recruits.

“OVER THEM MOUNTAINS”

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Fri Feb 04, 2022 5:00 pm

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 5:34 pm
mslacatfan wrote:
CelticCat wrote:

That’s a good point.

Have…have you ever seen a PAC-12 recruiting class?
I was being sarcastic

FTG- GO CATS GO!