2021/22 signing period thread

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Re: 2021/22 signing period thread

Post by coloradocat » Wed Feb 02, 2022 1:41 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 1:25 pm
coloradocat wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 1:16 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 12:54 pm
catgrad05 wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 12:49 pm
AFCAT wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 12:47 pm
CelticCat wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 12:33 pm
Who are we even waiting on? Anaya?
Anaya signed in December. Waiting on Bear Old and any surprises. PWOs don't sign anything but they are announced as well.
A couple more big bodies one each offense and defense would sure be nice.
Transfers will come over the next 5 months. Expect multiple transfer additions to the defensive line, an offensive tackle, safety, linebacker, and possibly another RB. Spring will set the roster depth and attrition will likely happen soon after for a handful of older players on the bubble.
"Expect" or "Hope for"? A lot of people have talked about how we should go after transfers for the OL/DL but is that realistically going to happen or are we just identifying areas of need as fans? Sometimes it's hard to determine the difference between regular fan talk and insider fan talk.
Every year they have brought in transfers at the spots they either need depth or potential starters. My list is what I know they are looking for and the fan base needs to have the mindset that the transfer portal does not have a signing period. The light is always on.

Tre Webb was added in the summer last year and he was one of our best players. Blake Hehl came in May or June and he was a starter for half the year.

Just know this...scholarships are being saved or allocated for transfers pre-spring ball and post.
Thanks for the info. I bolded the part that answers my question.

I think most of us know the rest but aren't always sure if what is being discussed is realistically going to happen and is just a matter of time or general fan discussion. The great thing about the state of the team is that we have the ability to fill our needs and not just talk about them.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Wed Feb 02, 2022 2:08 pm

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Wed Feb 02, 2022 3:13 pm

Last edited by AFCAT on Wed Feb 02, 2022 4:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.

“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Wed Feb 02, 2022 3:13 pm

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Wed Feb 02, 2022 3:19 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 3:13 pm
Jerry Ball right there.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Wed Feb 02, 2022 3:21 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 2:08 pm
Anyone seen the movie, Me, Myself and Irene with Jim Carrey and Rene Zellweger?

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Feb 02, 2022 3:22 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 3:21 pm
AFCAT wrote:
Wow Tom :lol:

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Wed Feb 02, 2022 3:31 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 3:21 pm
AFCAT wrote:
They don't look anything like Rene Zellweger.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Wed Feb 02, 2022 4:03 pm

1984champ
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by 1984champ » Wed Feb 02, 2022 4:39 pm

Congratulations to All that signed and glad to have them as Bobcats. Definitely feel some disappointment coming off of the season we just had and what we have been able to put together on this final signing day.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Wed Feb 02, 2022 4:55 pm

Bear Old

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Wed Feb 02, 2022 5:04 pm

1984champ wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 4:39 pm
Congratulations to All that signed and glad to have them as Bobcats. Definitely feel some disappointment coming off of the season we just had and what we have been able to put together on this final signing day.
Why is that? There are some absolute studs in this class. You're never going to have a signing class where 100% of them are starters day one. There will be some starters in this group, several contributors, and some future stars that need a couple years to develop.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

1984champ
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by 1984champ » Wed Feb 02, 2022 5:22 pm

catatac wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 5:04 pm
1984champ wrote:
Why is that? There are some absolute studs in this class. You're never going to have a signing class where 100% of them are starters day one. There will be some starters in this group, several contributors, and some future stars that need a couple years to develop.
I agree with the development aspect but I don’t see the top level talent that we were able to sign in past Choate classes and I don’t see what I would expect to represent a full year of recruiting effort, a brand new athletic complex and the recent momentum from a national championship appearance. We also have 2 non coaching positions dedicated to recruiting.

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by kennethnoisewater » Wed Feb 02, 2022 6:10 pm

1984champ wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 5:22 pm
catatac wrote:
1984champ wrote:
I agree with the development aspect but I don’t see the top level talent that we were able to sign in past Choate classes and I don’t see what I would expect to represent a full year of recruiting effort, a brand new athletic complex and the recent momentum from a national championship appearance. We also have 2 non coaching positions dedicated to recruiting.
You may very well end up being right, but I think recruiting has changed a lot even since Choate left. With the transfer portal, teams are going to get a few players with experience every year, which will take a few spots away from high school studs. Some programs are doing up to 40% transfer portal guys. I think MSU is holding back a few scholarships for those guys when they come available. There are some players on this list that don't really pop out at you, sure, but those are generally walk-ons.

Having said all that, I wouldn't be terribly surprised if Vigen just isn't quite as good a recruiter as Choate. If that ends up being true, I don't think it necessarily has to be a knock on Vigen, I just think Choate was that good at getting some of those FCS/FBS tweeners. That guy could sell condoms to a nun.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Feb 02, 2022 6:33 pm

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 6:10 pm
1984champ wrote:
catatac wrote:
1984champ wrote:
You may very well end up being right, but I think recruiting has changed a lot even since Choate left. With the transfer portal, teams are going to get a few players with experience every year, which will take a few spots away from high school studs. Some programs are doing up to 40% transfer portal guys. I think MSU is holding back a few scholarships for those guys when they come available. There are some players on this list that don't really pop out at you, sure, but those are generally walk-ons.

Having said all that, I wouldn't be terribly surprised if Vigen just isn't quite as good a recruiter as Choate. If that ends up being true, I don't think it necessarily has to be a knock on Vigen, I just think Choate was that good at getting some of those FCS/FBS tweeners. That guy could sell condoms to a nun.
Choate also missed on plenty in his four years. It's a fickle game and recruting classes stories are not complete on signing day.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Wed Feb 02, 2022 7:45 pm

Vast majority of this class are partials and walk-ons. Money and scholarships are tight right now. There will be some available after spring.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

1984champ
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by 1984champ » Wed Feb 02, 2022 7:47 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 6:33 pm
kennethnoisewater wrote:
1984champ wrote:
catatac wrote:
1984champ wrote:

Choate also missed on plenty in his four years. It's a fickle game and recruting classes stories are not complete on signing day.
If transfers are the answer to fill half a dozen spots, would have been nice to have as many as possible here for Spring. I’m not sure how this will fill out before the season starts but for me it seems we missed the mark and there were opportunities for high school recruits and transfer across the board that could have been pursued and at least offered.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Feb 02, 2022 9:01 pm

1984champ wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 7:47 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
kennethnoisewater wrote:
1984champ wrote:
catatac wrote:
1984champ wrote:

If transfers are the answer to fill half a dozen spots, would have been nice to have as many as possible here for Spring. I’m not sure how this will fill out before the season starts but for me it seems we missed the mark and there were opportunities for high school recruits and transfer across the board that could have been pursued and at least offered.
Choate brought in most of his transfers post spring ball. Again, let the whole recruiting cycle play out (which now basically lasts until beginning of summer) before we shut the door on the "on paper" talent of this class.

1984champ
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by 1984champ » Wed Feb 02, 2022 9:05 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 9:01 pm
1984champ wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
kennethnoisewater wrote:
1984champ wrote:
catatac wrote:
1984champ wrote:

Choate brought in most of his transfers post spring ball. Again, let the whole recruiting cycle play out (which now basically lasts until beginning of summer) before we shut the door on the "on paper" talent of this class.
Agreed most were post Spring. Remind me what was the highest number of post sprig transfers?

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Feb 02, 2022 9:08 pm

1984champ wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 9:05 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 9:01 pm
1984champ wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
kennethnoisewater wrote:
1984champ wrote:
catatac wrote:
1984champ wrote:

Agreed most were post Spring. Remind me what was the highest number of post sprig transfers?
Man...it was either 2017 or 2018. I think one of those years it ended up being 5 or 6 post spring ball with Hardy being the biggest name in 2018. Not sure on that number though. The roster is very full right now heading into spring ball so kwep that in mind as well. Natural attrition will need to happen first before more spots can become available.