MSU 26, UTM 7: Post-Game Thoughts

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

kwcat
Member # Retired

Re: MSU 26, UTM 7: Post-Game Thoughts

Post by kwcat » Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:41 pm

[media] [/media]

lutecat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by lutecat » Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:23 pm

kwcat wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:32 pm
[media] [/media]

I know this interview was posted as part of the overall post game presser. But I thought I would post it individually for those that wanted to see it.
What a likable guy. I'll cheer for that guy anytime they're not playing us. I like how he calls out the portal in a way that Vigan can't.

sdsyvie
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by sdsyvie » Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:18 am

kwcat wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:41 pm
[media] [/media]
Watching the highlights I was reminded how well mellott used the hard count to his benefit. Very impressed with this young man, and a very impressive performance for his first start.

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:49 am

I was able to watch the game and was really curious to see how the team responded to the two weeks off, the new QB situation, and the D's response to the post griz loss.

I was really impressed with Tommy Mellott's play considering the fact that his first start is a playoff game and all the drama from the bye week. All I can say is he has poise and was ready to engage the moment. Clearly he is ready to grow into the role of starter and without 50 MPH winds, I think he will show far better in the passing game. I expect SHSU will discover this kid can also pass as well as run.

I also though the Offensive play calling was far more diverse and less predictable. That said, I think there is much more to explore on roll outs and TE shots as well as screens and wheel routes. Excited to see it this week!

The Defense simply showed up and resorted to their normal nastiness, and with them playing at this level there is no team we can't compete with and beat! I rather have a shut down D than a run it up O!

I'm encouraged, and I don't think we're done with this seasons run even after this weekend.

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:48 am

catsrback76 wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:49 am
I was able to watch the game and was really curious to see how the team responded to the two weeks off, the new QB situation, and the D's response to the post griz loss.

I was really impressed with Tommy Mellott's play considering the fact that his first start is a playoff game and all the drama from the bye week. All I can say is he has poise and was ready to engage the moment. Clearly he is ready to grow into the role of starter and without 50 MPH winds, I think he will show far better in the passing game. I expect SHSU will discover this kid can also pass as well as run.

I also though the Offensive play calling was far more diverse and less predictable. That said, I think there is much more to explore on roll outs and TE shots as well as screens and wheel routes. Excited to see it this week!

The Defense simply showed up and resorted to their normal nastiness, and with them playing at this level there is no team we can't compete with and beat! I rather have a shut down D than a run it up O!

I'm encouraged, and I don't think we're done with this seasons run even after this weekend.
I wonder if we aren't dealing with the wind if we will see Elliot more and see more of those wheel routes. We tried it once with Ifanse but didn't really go back to it for the rest of the game.

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

WalkOn79

Post by WalkOn79 » Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:00 am

rivercat wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:34 pm
I thought this was one of Houserights better called games. Even though they completed only 40%, the fact that the Cats were passing occasionally when not forced to loosened up the run game. If Houseright would have kept running play after play UTM would have loaded the box even more than they did and then forced the Cats to pass. Passing by choice is better than being forced to pass because it allows the run game to work.

I'm not sold on Houseright but this was one of his best efforts, especially given the weather conditions.
Not sure that's possible when you have 9 in the box already. I guess you could leave guys uncovered :)

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

WalkOn79

Post by WalkOn79 » Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:11 am

I also thought the atmosphere was really good on Saturday. At least on our side and in the endzone.

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

Pecos24
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Pecos24 » Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:27 am

WalkOn79 wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:11 am
I also thought the atmosphere was really good on Saturday. At least on our side and in the endzone.
I concur. Was it crazy loud? No. But definitely not a morgue. I may or may not have caused a couple to move to different seats because I was “too loud”. 😂

Bill Zander
CS '93
AKA - "F'n sorry ass"

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:24 pm

WalkOn79 wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:11 am
It was great. We were shouting into the wind which is probably why some people thought the crowd wasn't loud enough.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:01 pm

This may have been mentioned somewhere, but #1 for UTM was a freshman All-SEC player for Alabama. He was 5-star rated player out of HS and the No. 4 player in the nation; No. 2 at DE. Eyabi Anoma is his name.

Watch the play shortly before the MSU's first TD. It's a handoff to Patterson and Ifanse is supposed to block this guy. Ifanse's reaction after the play says it all. I saw him talking to Anoma after the game. He's the one who got the PF on the first TD drive. He smacked into Ifanse after the whistle on the play with the offsides.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

CatFanatic
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by CatFanatic » Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:41 am

#1 was on the sidelines right in front of us most of the first half when the UTM offense was on the field. Big dude. After UTM recovered the fumble and returned it for a TD right before halftime, #1 turned around and said to us "We've got ya'll figured out!" I replied that you haven't figured out sh*t. He was remarkably absent in the second half, both on the field and standing in front of us on the sideline. I was really hoping he'd come back our way so I could ask him if they still had us figured out.

Guck the Frizz

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:51 pm

CatFanatic wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:41 am
#1 was on the sidelines right in front of us most of the first half when the UTM offense was on the field. Big dude. After UTM recovered the fumble and returned it for a TD right before halftime, #1 turned around and said to us "We've got ya'll figured out!" I replied that you haven't figured out sh*t. He was remarkably absent in the second half, both on the field and standing in front of us on the sideline. I was really hoping he'd come back our way so I could ask him if they still had us figured out.
Ha, nice. We had the O-line group in front of us all game. At one point their coach reminded them to just keep doing their job cause we were playing our 3rd string QB and wouldn't get much or something to that effect. We kept trying to tell them our QB1 was in the portal if they wanted him, we were quite content with our 3rd string guy.

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

tdub
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by tdub » Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:11 pm

kmax wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:51 pm
CatFanatic wrote:
Ha, nice. We had the O-line group in front of us all game. At one point their coach reminded them to just keep doing their job cause we were playing our 3rd string QB and wouldn't get much or something to that effect. We kept trying to tell them our QB1 was in the portal if they wanted him, we were quite content with our 3rd string guy.
And it was REALLY fun to remind them after the 70+ yd touchdown run that he was just our 3rd stringer.

And also when they were running off at half and number 31, the Jordan Peele clone, said to us “gonna be quiet in here in the 2nd half”. I said, “no, it won’t”, he said “Ya it will”. Then I fired back, “We’ll be loud no matter what”. He shrugged and nodded like “you won this round, TDub”. 🤣

I liked that these guys were looser with fan interaction. We had some laughs and smiles with their players.

Gold medals aren't really made of gold. They're made of sweat, determination, and a hard-to-find alloy called guts. - Dan Gable

Joe Bobcat

Post by Joe Bobcat » Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:52 pm

tdub wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:11 pm
kmax wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:51 pm
CatFanatic wrote:
And it was REALLY fun to remind them after the 70+ yd touchdown run that he was just our 3rd stringer.

And also when they were running off at half and number 31, the Jordan Peele clone, said to us “gonna be quiet in here in the 2nd half”. I said, “no, it won’t”, he said “Ya it will”. Then I fired back, “We’ll be loud no matter what”. He shrugged and nodded like “you won this round, TDub”. 🤣

I liked that these guys were looser with fan interaction. We had some laughs and smiles with their players.
Haha thanks for the stories. It sounds like you guys in the front seats had a good time and dominated the smack talk on the sideline as much as the Cats dominated the play on the field. Actually I bet #1 finally figured out by the end of the game that the Bobcats were simply the best team on the field that day or any day for that matter. It must have been too much of a humbling experience for him to what to come back and share his new found knowledge with you. :lol:

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

CatFanatic
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by CatFanatic » Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:15 pm

Yes, I was disappointed #1 never got back within earshot as I was curious to know what exactly he had figured out during the game. After the game when he was talking with Ifanse, he was just far enough away that I couldn't catch his attention. Maybe that was because I had lost my voice from yelling so hard all game. :D

Guck the Frizz

Prodigal Cat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Prodigal Cat » Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:01 am

https://twitter.com/joshperk/status/146 ... 64864?s=20

The clutching of the pearls at the end is :lol: :lol: :lol:

On a side note how do you get twitter to link the image of the tweet, not just the link?

Brewer/Owner Copper Furrow Brewing

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:14 am

Prodigal Cat wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:01 am

On a side note how do you get twitter to link the image of the tweet, not just the link?

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:21 am

Prodigal Cat wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:01 am

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:21 am

CatFanatic wrote:
I'm right there with you too. He was fun to go back and forth with. I heard the comments you're talking about. I just laughed at him. Was never worried about that game from start to finish.

After he got the personal foul to put us near the goal line and we scored I had some fun with him. Was telling him thank you for being so smart and thank you for the points. All was good until an old guy in front of me told me to shut up! I said no. I was in my season tickets, and I had never seen him or his group before. It was pretty annoying. If you don't like going back and forth with the opponents you shouldn't sit over there. Nothing terrible was said. Nothing out of line.

I loved that #1 guy though. Let him hear it all game but the guy is a stud.