Texas here we come!

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

DMMDCats
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Re: Texas here we come!

Post by DMMDCats » Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:31 am

84CatGrad wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:08 am
Just booked my airfare. Headed to Huntsville.

I was there in 2011 (I think that's the right year) when we played a tough first half then got toasted by the triple option in the 2nd half. Hope for a better outcome this time.
Booster charter?

Have a wonderful day!!

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:14 am

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:48 am

$20 tickets, that's not bad!

ND0479

Post by ND0479 » Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:07 pm

91catAlum wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:48 am
$20 tickets, that's not bad!
Just paid $15 ea x 4

84CatGrad

Post by 84CatGrad » Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:34 pm

DMMDCats wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:31 am
84CatGrad wrote:

I was there in 2011 (I think that's the right year) when we played a tough first half then got toasted by the triple option in the 2nd half. Hope for a better outcome this time.
Booster charter?
Nope. Roundtrip out of Billings.

GoCats18
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by GoCats18 » Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:24 pm

Great exposure, especially if we play our asses off and win. Also, would be cool if Choate shows up to cheer on the Cats. I don’t think U or T has much going on this coming weekend.

Punters are people too!!

ND0479

Post by ND0479 » Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:38 pm

GoCats18 wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:24 pm
Great exposure, especially if we play our asses off and win. Also, would be cool if Choate shows up to cheer on the Cats. I don’t think U or T has much going on this coming weekend.
Haha Choate better be on the road crootin!

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:45 pm

I would think he (Choate)would find some time to go watch his son play.

84CatGrad

Post by 84CatGrad » Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:12 pm

Would also love to see D McGhee there.

BobcatDel

Post by BobcatDel » Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:45 pm

84CatGrad wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:34 pm
DMMDCats wrote:
84CatGrad wrote:

Booster charter?
Creative Charter was trying to organize a flight a while back. Haven’t heard anything lately.

GoCats18
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by GoCats18 » Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:33 am

If you live near Denver, you better go. When I looked today it was only like $120 round trip. If it was that cheap here, I would be down there for sure. We need to pack that place like we did EWU.

Punters are people too!!

WolfPtCat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by WolfPtCat » Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:24 am

I've always said: If you want to see the armpit of a state, look at where it's Penitentiary is. Rawlins, WY Canyon City, CO....Sorry Deer Lodge. Looks like Huntsville, TX not only houses the TX State Prison Museum, but also the Dept Headquarters, and at least 4 Prisons (Units).

Bocephus
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Bocephus » Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:33 am

BobcatDel wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:45 pm
84CatGrad wrote:
DMMDCats wrote:
84CatGrad wrote:

Booster charter?
Creative Charter was trying to organize a flight a while back. Haven’t heard anything lately.
Where are you flying into?

D-Wreck
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by D-Wreck » Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:25 am

84CatGrad wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:12 pm
Would also love to see D McGhee there.
Houston is home the next day and it looks like a little over an hour drive. That would be awesome to see!

ND0479

Post by ND0479 » Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:34 am

Houston airports are the closest to Huntsville - George Bush (1hr) & Hobby (1.5-3hrs pending on traffic…traffic is atrocious in Houston)

Bergstrom in Austin, DFW, & Love Field in Dallas are all just under 3 hours from Huntsville.

If you want to make a weekend out of it, Austin is the coolest city in Texas by a long shot. Lots of independent bars & restaurants w/ a tremendous live music scene. Also a lot more scenic than the rest of the state. Houston is very metro and high end w/ a ton of chain restaurants but the beach is less than an hour South. Dallas is similar to Houston and Fort Worth is very laid back w a very historically western vibe - Stockyards, downtown, & West 7th area are all really cool.

If you want recommendations for any of those areas, feel free to PM me. There’s really not much that I know of in Huntsville outside of the giant Sam Houston statue & prisons. You’ll see the statue & big prison right off the highway..don’t pick up any hitchhikers :D I don’t think there are any executions scheduled for this weekend so you’re out of luck if that’s your thing!

MSU Toddler
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by MSU Toddler » Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:22 pm

Rumor has it that a charter was planned as far back as two weeks ago and it is already full. Perhaps an influential booster of BQC member has some insight.

Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

BobcatDel

Post by BobcatDel » Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:30 am

Bocephus wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:33 am
BobcatDel wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:45 pm
84CatGrad wrote:
DMMDCats wrote:
84CatGrad wrote:

Booster charter?
Where are you flying into?
Into Houston International (IAH) but we are flying commercial. We have grandkids in Houston area so we are going to take advantage of seeing them for week and going to a game. Money well spent.

Like someone else said I heard all the charter arrangements are full.

Other options we have used in the past (we lived in Texas 3 different times): American has (or had) a direct flight into Dallas Fort Worth from Bozeman…..but then it is a 4 hour drive into Huntsville. Also we often could fly into Austin or San Antonio for significantly less…like half price sometimes…..and yes I know the 2-3 hour drive to Houston area is a pain in backside but guess we were cheap. I think Huntsville is 2.5 to 3 hours from Austin. My thinking is the problem will be getting out of Bozeman because I am pretty confident you can get into Houston, Dallas, or Austin if you can get to Denver, Salt Lake, Seattle. Maybe there are connections out of Helena or Billings.

BobcatDel

Post by BobcatDel » Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:00 pm

ND0479 wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:34 am
Houston airports are the closest to Huntsville - George Bush (1hr) & Hobby (1.5-3hrs pending on traffic…traffic is atrocious in Houston)

Bergstrom in Austin, DFW, & Love Field in Dallas are all just under 3 hours from Huntsville.

If you want to make a weekend out of it, Austin is the coolest city in Texas by a long shot. Lots of independent bars & restaurants w/ a tremendous live music scene. Also a lot more scenic than the rest of the state. Houston is very metro and high end w/ a ton of chain restaurants but the beach is less than an hour South. Dallas is similar to Houston and Fort Worth is very laid back w a very historically western vibe - Stockyards, downtown, & West 7th area are all really cool.

If you want recommendations for any of those areas, feel free to PM me. There’s really not much that I know of in Huntsville outside of the giant Sam Houston statue & prisons. You’ll see the statue & big prison right off the highway..don’t pick up any hitchhikers :D I don’t think there are any executions scheduled for this weekend so you’re out of luck if that’s your thing!
Sounds like someone else has been there too.

Agree, Austin is good if you want to spend an extra day or three. I love visiting the Hill Country to the southwest of Austin more so than downtown. I enjoyed Going to LBJ ranch in Johnsville, also drive out to Fredericksburg…love that little burg….nice little tourist shops, wineries, bed and breakfasts, and if you are a military or museum buff go to “The Museum of the Pacific” in Fredericksburg….doesn’t look like much but I greatly enjoyed this WWII museum……it is Admiral Nimitz home. Drive out to Luchenbach Texas and catch some music if playing. Or as suggested just enjoy the bar scene in Austin….I bet Choate would join you!

Only an hour down the road is San Antonio. Not that much further than Austin to fly into. We enjoyed staying in a place right on the River Walk, lot of pubs and places to eat on the RW as well as a gondola ride with your babe, seeing the Alamo, went on the Mission Tour Which I really enjoyed being an engineering type and seeing structures and water systems built centuries ago. Guerne Hall (pronounce Green) gets some excellent music performances. New Braunfels has a great Oktoberfest and some great German polka halls and sausage (been a year or two or three since I was there so not sure of current status).

Lot of lakes in the region, Lake Travis, LBJ, Canyon Lake….we have rented pontoon boats and grabbed the ladies and enjoyed time on the lake with a beverage. Floating the Guadeloupe is fun…and if the weather is cooperative the scenery is quite nice if you get the drift! If a golfer there are many many many excellent courses in the area. I have a goal to get to all the presidential homes and libraries so you can pick up three stamps in Texas….LBJ as mentioned, and the Bush libraries in College Station and Dallas area (on SMU campus). Of course you also have the Texas Book Depository in Dallas area and if a history buff you may want to see that site of a tragic moment in our history.

Starting to sound like a travel agent so better shut up. Just a final word…..Texas is big and driving takes a long time to get anywhere (even more so than Montana)…like going to Big Bend National Park and enjoying dinner at the Starlight Express….forget it from Houston Area…uuugh! Traffic is a mess in the metro areas….makes you chuckle at what we call traffic in Bozeman or Billings or Great Falls!!,

DMMDCats

Post by DMMDCats » Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:41 pm

I’m going. Just booked the flight and hotel.

Go BOBCATS!!

Have a wonderful day!!

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:00 pm

4 of us driving from Bozeman!
Look forward to seeing you all there.