Mellott

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Long Time Cat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Re: Mellott

Post by Long Time Cat » Sun Dec 05, 2021 2:06 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:43 pm
91catAlum wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:26 pm
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:52 pm
91catAlum wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:45 am
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:21 am
I think yesterday’s game plan was more well suited to the OL. And UT Martin isn’t really that great of a team.
Why is it that anytime the Cats beat someone, they just weren't very good? UTM is at least a top 20 team, probably top 15. How about we give the Cats some credit?
I said this about UTM before we played them. They would be an average BSC team. The way they played showed that.

If you want to pore through my posts, I’ve given the Cats a lot of credit this year, and what I said about UTM doesn’t take anything away from the Cats either. Relax dude.
I am relaxed, dude. And my post wasn't just about you. When we went on the road and beat a tough Weber team, people here said that Weber wasn't any good. Then we go on the road and shut down Barriere and EWU, and they said EWU just didn't play good and it was the wind blah blah. And now we completely shut down a UTM team that won 10 games and knocked off a good Missouri State team last week, and now UTM isn't a good team. 🙄 it gets old.

The Cats could win the natty, and there are people on here who would say its only because we had an easy path and we never beat anybody good. :roll:

If we beat Sammy next week, I promise you that we'll be reading about how overrated Sammy was and that MSU still hasn't beat anyone :lol:
You’re likely right. Has happened a bit after every win so I don’t know why Saturday would be different.
The Cats could go 15-0 and I believe there are those who post here would say it was a down year for NDSU and the FCS in general. And probably bitch about the play calling cause we only scored 24 in the Natty.
Me I’m happy we’re still playing and seem to have a great group of guys that like to play for each other.

"Confidence is contagious. So is a lack of confidence." Vince Lombardi

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Sun Dec 05, 2021 2:08 pm

How many different years did we think "Sammy's not so good" and we lost to them twice at home and once in Huntsville. They have the same kind of team with the same kind of personnel. We have a pretty good Defense and an offense who can be good at times. Trust me it ain't gonna be no cakewalk!

2024 Resume dominance

rivercat

Post by rivercat » Sun Dec 05, 2021 2:11 pm

Helcat72 wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 2:08 pm
How many different years did we think "Sammy's not so good" and we lost to them twice at home and once in Huntsville. They have the same kind of team with the same kind of personnel. We have a pretty good Defense and an offense who can be good at times. Trust me it ain't gonna be no cakewalk!
The games those teams played almost a decade ago have no bearing on what is likely to occur with 2021 teams.

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Sun Dec 05, 2021 2:15 pm

rivercat wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 2:11 pm
Helcat72 wrote:
The games those teams played almost a decade ago have no bearing on what is likely to occur with 2021 teams.
That's what we said before the second and third beatdown. I'm just sayin...beware of their size and speed!

2024 Resume dominance

utucats
Member # Retired

Post by utucats » Sun Dec 05, 2021 2:30 pm

Helcat72 wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 2:15 pm
rivercat wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 2:11 pm
Helcat72 wrote:
That's what we said before the second and third beatdown. I'm just sayin...beware of their size and speed!
At this point, every potential opponent is no cakewalk. We have to beat some tough teams if we want to pull off something special. Sammy is next up so here we go!

89Cat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by 89Cat » Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:47 pm

Anyone who was at that game realizes that nobody was going to be able to throw in that wind - not even Brett Favre. I'm sure Vigen saw the forecasted winds and game planned accordingly with a heavy dose of the run and limited throwing. Heck, the UT = Martin QB only passed for 98 yards or something like that. Mellott showed me confidence out there and I think the team rallied behind him. I'm not concerned at all about his passing stats in that wind. Yes, going forward we'll have to throw the ball to win at some point but, given the fact that it was his first start (and a playoff game to boot), I think he did a great job. Had McKay played that entire game, I'm not so sure we win. Now, on to next week - a new team, a new game. One game at a time.

The Butcher
Golden Bobcat

Post by The Butcher » Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:01 am

Lord Vigo wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:19 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:17 pm
Just to clear this up...lucky Irish said all week that he was a fan of Tommy and didn't like how the "haters" said he couldn't throw the ball effective enough for us to win. The OP was a callback to his opinion with a sarcastic sentence directed to those haters...hence the coffee emoji at the end.

Carry on.
Yeah, I noted the sarcasm and took his point. Cataholic didn't. Which is fine. I was just weighing in on him going ballistic on the guy and telling him what a bad fan he is.
That is par for the course by Cataholic... He tends to fly off the handlebars now and again.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:14 am

The Butcher wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:01 am
Lord Vigo wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
Just to clear this up...lucky Irish said all week that he was a fan of Tommy and didn't like how the "haters" said he couldn't throw the ball effective enough for us to win. The OP was a callback to his opinion with a sarcastic sentence directed to those haters...hence the coffee emoji at the end.

Carry on.
Yeah, I noted the sarcasm and took his point. Cataholic didn't. Which is fine. I was just weighing in on him going ballistic on the guy and telling him what a bad fan he is.
That is par for the course by Cataholic... He tends to fly off the handlebars now and again.
Funny how it is the same 4 or 5 guys taking issue with my post which was actually defending our QB. And I wasn’t the only post in this thread that took the initial post as an attack on Mellot. Funny how those same couple posters said that we can’t be posting personal attacks, yet they have no problem doing it themselves…. Here is a little advice that I heard from a couple of you, use the pm if you have an issue with me. Your posts are strictly personal in nature. I don’t recall having any issue with irishguy in the past, and I was just commenting on his post about Mellot.

D-Wreck
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by D-Wreck » Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:39 am

thefrank1 wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:47 am
bcats wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:59 am
thefrank1 wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:02 am
BobCatFan wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:57 am
bcats wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:17 pm
Our o line looked very good as well.
I have to disagree. The oline could not pass block. When the play called for a pocket, the qb had no time. It seemed like the entire defense line was in the backfield before the football was.

Running blocking, the oline was much better. I could tell from the first series, the oline was the better unit vs the defense when it came to running the ball. I thought if the coaches continued the run first attitude, we would win the game.

They must have watched the griz tapes. They rushed the middle and we still had no screen plays to counter and just a few rollouts plays. Once again, that is on the coaches.
Any time the offense averages more than 6 yards per carry, the offensive line is doing a great job. They initially had some difficulty picking up blitzers, but it wasn't a serious problem. The line is continuing to improve and may be peaking at the right time.
From what I recall of the game most of the pressure came from blitzes and a couple of them the RB missed the pickup. Our O Line played one of their better games of the year. Don’t recall any holding calls or false starts either. And how about Mellot’s ability to draw the defense offsides. Seemed like he was able to do that all game.
That was great. Our whole section was rocking with laughter at both Redd and Perkins when they reacted to the offsides contact. That was hilarious!
Was that the play when the LG or LT had contact and stayed locked in his stance and rocked back like a turtle on his shell?

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:41 am

Long Time Cat wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 2:06 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:43 pm
91catAlum wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:26 pm
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:52 pm
91catAlum wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:45 am
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:21 am
I think yesterday’s game plan was more well suited to the OL. And UT Martin isn’t really that great of a team.
Why is it that anytime the Cats beat someone, they just weren't very good? UTM is at least a top 20 team, probably top 15. How about we give the Cats some credit?
I said this about UTM before we played them. They would be an average BSC team. The way they played showed that.

If you want to pore through my posts, I’ve given the Cats a lot of credit this year, and what I said about UTM doesn’t take anything away from the Cats either. Relax dude.
I am relaxed, dude. And my post wasn't just about you. When we went on the road and beat a tough Weber team, people here said that Weber wasn't any good. Then we go on the road and shut down Barriere and EWU, and they said EWU just didn't play good and it was the wind blah blah. And now we completely shut down a UTM team that won 10 games and knocked off a good Missouri State team last week, and now UTM isn't a good team. 🙄 it gets old.

The Cats could win the natty, and there are people on here who would say its only because we had an easy path and we never beat anybody good. :roll:

If we beat Sammy next week, I promise you that we'll be reading about how overrated Sammy was and that MSU still hasn't beat anyone :lol:
You’re likely right. Has happened a bit after every win so I don’t know why Saturday would be different.
The Cats could go 15-0 and I believe there are those who post here would say it was a down year for NDSU and the FCS in general. And probably bitch about the play calling cause we only scored 24 in the Natty.
Me I’m happy we’re still playing and seem to have a great group of guys that like to play for each other.
I think it’s because those kinds of fans are overly impressed with passing. MSU is 21-6 (3-1 in playoffs) the past two seasons relying on the run and defense. The most recent two years with a good, passing QB (Prukop) MSU was 13-11 with one playoff game. However, lots of people still talk about those teams glowingly.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

thefrank1
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by thefrank1 » Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:46 am

D-Wreck wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:39 am
thefrank1 wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:47 am
bcats wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:59 am
thefrank1 wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:02 am
BobCatFan wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:57 am
bcats wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:17 pm
Our o line looked very good as well.
I have to disagree. The oline could not pass block. When the play called for a pocket, the qb had no time. It seemed like the entire defense line was in the backfield before the football was.

Running blocking, the oline was much better. I could tell from the first series, the oline was the better unit vs the defense when it came to running the ball. I thought if the coaches continued the run first attitude, we would win the game.

They must have watched the griz tapes. They rushed the middle and we still had no screen plays to counter and just a few rollouts plays. Once again, that is on the coaches.
Any time the offense averages more than 6 yards per carry, the offensive line is doing a great job. They initially had some difficulty picking up blitzers, but it wasn't a serious problem. The line is continuing to improve and may be peaking at the right time.
From what I recall of the game most of the pressure came from blitzes and a couple of them the RB missed the pickup. Our O Line played one of their better games of the year. Don’t recall any holding calls or false starts either. And how about Mellot’s ability to draw the defense offsides. Seemed like he was able to do that all game.
That was great. Our whole section was rocking with laughter at both Redd and Perkins when they reacted to the offsides contact. That was hilarious!
Was that the play when the LG or LT had contact and stayed locked in his stance and rocked back like a turtle on his shell?
Yes, Redd was the turtle and Perkins feigned a heart attack.

While registering my vehicles the assessor stated "I have had both Cat and Griz students and alums work for me and the Griz end up working under the direction of the Cats."

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:56 am

Cataholic wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:14 am
The Butcher wrote:
Lord Vigo wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:

Carry on.
Funny how it is the same 4 or 5 guys taking issue with my post which was actually defending our QB. And I wasn’t the only post in this thread that took the initial post as an attack on Mellot. Funny how those same couple posters said that we can’t be posting personal attacks, yet they have no problem doing it themselves…. Here is a little advice that I heard from a couple of you, use the pm if you have an issue with me. Your posts are strictly personal in nature. I don’t recall having any issue with irishguy in the past, and I was just commenting on his post about Mellot.
Then you missed the entire BobcatNation community telling me that Mellott wasn't ready, I called their BS and said he was. He proved it again Saturday. As other suggested this was a tongue in cheek/roasting of all the Mellott haters. We're on the same side on this one Catholic I think Mellott is our future.

Haters in 3 , 2 ....

Lord Vigo

Post by Lord Vigo » Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:40 am

Cataholic wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:47 pm
luckyirishguy25 wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 5:48 pm
Yeah, you guys were right.... he's not ready. :coffee:
You are a sh1tty fan. Lose your fu@@ing password.

And FYI, the winds were awful. Did you see any of the kicks today? Did the other guy pass for 200 yards? And Mellot ran for 183 yards.

Fuc@ing pathetic excuse for a fan.
Cataholic wrote:
:lol:

=D^ =D^

Thank you for that.

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:09 pm

We as a nation clearly need a universal sarcasm filter for those unfortunates who just don’t get it. Like my wife, my sister, my mom, Cataholic, just to name a few.

Catsrgrood

Post by Catsrgrood » Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:10 pm

luckyirishguy25 wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:56 am
Cataholic wrote:
The Butcher wrote:
Lord Vigo wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:

Carry on.
Then you missed the entire BobcatNation community telling me that Mellott wasn't ready, I called their BS and said he was. He proved it again Saturday. As other suggested this was a tongue in cheek/roasting of all the Mellott haters. We're on the same side on this one Catholic I think Mellott is our future.

Haters in 3 , 2 ....
I guess you’ll have to point these haters out to me. I haven’t seen one yet.

Not a person on here doesn’t want Mellott to succeed. I can’t recall anyone “hating”.

What I have read is some people are skeptical if he’s ready to be the difference maker on a team that has championship aspirations.

Nothing wrong with that.

Mellott could turn out to be an all time great by the time he leaves here and have one of the best careers we’ve ever seen. That doesn’t mean you can’t question how he’ll handle his first few starts of his career, as a freshman, in the playoffs.

He did well on Saturday. Led the team to a victory. That’s huge. But it was against a team the Cats were simply better than.

This Saturday will be different. Road game against the #1 team. Absolutely a winnable game, but it’s still fair to wonder or question how Mellott will play.

That’s not hating, that’s called being a reasonable, rational fan and looking at the facts.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:17 pm

Today's society - if you're not 100% sold and on board with something, you are a hater.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

Lord Vigo

Post by Lord Vigo » Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:24 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:17 pm
Today's society - if you're not 100% sold and on board with something, you are a hater.
Yep. Everything has to be binary.

MSU Toddler

Post by MSU Toddler » Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:26 pm

Lord Vigo wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:24 pm
CelticCat wrote:
Yep. Everything has to be binary.
No it doesn’t!!!

Just kidding of course…

Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:27 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Yeah, no one got after me for my opinion of Mellott. And absolutely no one was dogging Tommy for not being ready, unable to throw the ball....

Funny how the narrative changes when your wrong.

There's 2 fricken threads full of haters since the Idaho game. enjoy stroking each other.

Slackjaw
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Slackjaw » Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:41 pm

This whole board needs to chill out. People are going to see things differently and they should be able to voice their opinions on what they see without all the childish attacks back and forth. As a long time cat fan, reading the back and forth attacks on this board has been pretty embarrassing the last couple weeks. This isn't life and death and having your opinions validated by anonymous people isn't that important. Chill.

Do I think Mellott is our best shot and do I expect he's a better passer than people are giving him credit for? Yes.

Do I think he is getting branded as being a bad passer because he's athletic ability seems on par with Andersen, who happened to struggle passing? Yes.

Do I believe it to be unreasonable to be suspect in his passing abilities because of the limited sample size and the results to date? No.

Do I think the starting QB of Montana Sate University should give a rats ass what an online message forum filled with a bunch of has-beens thinks? No, and if they do, they aren't equipped with the proper mentality to lead a college football team.

You all need to chill out.

If not this year?.........When?