Mellott

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Dmsubrew
BobcatNation Letterman

Re: Mellott

Post by Dmsubrew » Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:28 pm

Whoa...I thought maybe I could inject a little humor into this thread.
Then I read this thread...
I'll try a different thread

DMMDCats
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by DMMDCats » Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:39 pm

Dmsubrew wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:28 pm
Whoa...I thought maybe I could inject a little humor into this thread.
Then I read this thread...
I'll try a different thread
Good call

Have a wonderful day!!

Sohedges
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Sohedges » Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:45 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:47 pm
luckyirishguy25 wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 5:48 pm
Yeah, you guys were right.... he's not ready. :coffee:
You are a sh1tty fan. Lose your fu@@ing password.

And FYI, the winds were awful. Did you see any of the kicks today? Did the other guy pass for 200 yards? And Mellot ran for 183 yards.

Fuc@ing pathetic excuse for a fan.
Uhm, I’m pretty sure he was being sarcastic and roasting all the faithful who were whining about Tommy not being ready, and how Vigen will lose the team if he makes the move and loses, MM won 9 games, etc. So yeah it was the perfect burn for the doubters who are still not completely on the Tommy bandwagon but I bet they are starting to warm up to him. Let’s try and all get along we won for ****** sake. Next game up.

GoCats18
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by GoCats18 » Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:12 am

I just want to see us going back to running some of the passing plays we ran earlier in the season. Using our tight ends more in the flats and maybe some passes to the running backs. Mellott played amazing. The run game was amazing, the wind sucked, the holding the receivers was horrible. I just know we have plays in that book that we haven’t used in over a month and a half. They worked, let’s get back to using them.

Punters are people too!!

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:17 am

I don' think Tommy is made for that kind of game. He's a running QB. Matt was a stationary drop back QB. One who needed good protection from the OL because he couldn't flush effectively....mostly due to waiting too long. Think back....how many first downs did he get by avoiding the rush with his feet?

So my point is let Tommy be Tommy.....we'll get our points!

2024 Resume dominance

BobCatFan

Post by BobCatFan » Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:57 am

bcats wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:17 pm
Our o line looked very good as well.
I have to disagree. The oline could not pass block. When the play called for a pocket, the qb had no time. It seemed like the entire defense line was in the backfield before the football was.

Running blocking, the oline was much better. I could tell from the first series, the oline was the better unit vs the defense when it came to running the ball. I thought if the coaches continued the run first attitude, we would win the game.

They must have watched the griz tapes. They rushed the middle and we still had no screen plays to counter and just a few rollouts plays. Once again, that is on the coaches.

thefrank1

Post by thefrank1 » Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:02 am

BobCatFan wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:57 am
bcats wrote:
I have to disagree. The oline could not pass block. When the play called for a pocket, the qb had no time. It seemed like the entire defense line was in the backfield before the football was.

Running blocking, the oline was much better. I could tell from the first series, the oline was the better unit vs the defense when it came to running the ball. I thought if the coaches continued the run first attitude, we would win the game.

They must have watched the griz tapes. They rushed the middle and we still had no screen plays to counter and just a few rollouts plays. Once again, that is on the coaches.
Any time the offense averages more than 6 yards per carry, the offensive line is doing a great job. They initially had some difficulty picking up blitzers, but it wasn't a serious problem. The line is continuing to improve and may be peaking at the right time.

While registering my vehicles the assessor stated "I have had both Cat and Griz students and alums work for me and the Griz end up working under the direction of the Cats."

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:21 am

I think yesterday’s game plan was more well suited to the OL. And UT Martin isn’t really that great of a team.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:45 am

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:21 am
I think yesterday’s game plan was more well suited to the OL. And UT Martin isn’t really that great of a team.
Why is it that anytime the Cats beat someone, they just weren't very good? UTM is at least a top 20 team, probably top 15. How about we give the Cats some credit?

bcats

Post by bcats » Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:59 am

thefrank1 wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:02 am
BobCatFan wrote:
bcats wrote:

Any time the offense averages more than 6 yards per carry, the offensive line is doing a great job. They initially had some difficulty picking up blitzers, but it wasn't a serious problem. The line is continuing to improve and may be peaking at the right time.
From what I recall of the game most of the pressure came from blitzes and a couple of them the RB missed the pickup. Our O Line played one of their better games of the year. Don’t recall any holding calls or false starts either. And how about Mellot’s ability to draw the defense offsides. Seemed like he was able to do that all game.

"Don't give up, don't ever give up." Jimmy V

Just my opinion-- Byron Stulc

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:47 am

91catAlum wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:45 am
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Why is it that anytime the Cats beat someone, they just weren't very good? UTM is at least a top 20 team, probably top 15. How about we give the Cats some credit?
There's never anything wrong with beating a Top 15 team. Its just that there's a HUGE difference between #15 & the top 7 or 8. Beating the consensus #1 in the country, returning national champs on the road is a whole different story.

UTM isn't Cal Poly. But they aren't the Griz, Bizen, or Bearkats either.

thefrank1

Post by thefrank1 » Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:47 am

bcats wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:59 am
thefrank1 wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:02 am
BobCatFan wrote:
bcats wrote:

From what I recall of the game most of the pressure came from blitzes and a couple of them the RB missed the pickup. Our O Line played one of their better games of the year. Don’t recall any holding calls or false starts either. And how about Mellot’s ability to draw the defense offsides. Seemed like he was able to do that all game.
That was great. Our whole section was rocking with laughter at both Redd and Perkins when they reacted to the offsides contact. That was hilarious!

While registering my vehicles the assessor stated "I have had both Cat and Griz students and alums work for me and the Griz end up working under the direction of the Cats."

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:08 am

onceacat wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:47 am
91catAlum wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
There's never anything wrong with beating a Top 15 team. Its just that there's a HUGE difference between #15 & the top 7 or 8. Beating the consensus #1 in the country, returning national champs on the road is a whole different story.

But I don't think anyone expects us to blank the SHSU offense and win by 3 scores on the road. I'd say doing what we did to UTM after what they did to the other MSU, is a pretty good opening statement.

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:42 am

technoCat wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:08 am
onceacat wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:47 am
91catAlum wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:

But I don't think anyone expects us to blank the SHSU offense and win by 3 scores on the road. I'd say doing what we did to UTM after what they did to the other MSU, is a pretty good opening statement.
I'm just answering your question about "not very good". There are a handful of cupcakes in the play in-round, but by the round of 16, everyone is "good". But the drop between the seeds and everyone else (not named SDSU) is huge.

So maybe not fair to say UTM is "not good"...but they aren't at the top of the heap either. Its just a matter of perspective if the expectation is to be playing in Frisco.

KIX
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by KIX » Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:33 pm

Tommy gave this team the spark that was needed after game after game of offensive mediocrity. He is a winner. We can look at the present and the throwing stats but getting put into this position at this time of year, impressed. With a complete off-season of work, specifically throwing and working with receivers, its exciting for a Cats fan. I thought that the throw down the sideline to McCutchen was his best all day, just a bit off. Go Cats!

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:52 pm

91catAlum wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
I said this about UTM before we played them. They would be an average BSC team. The way they played showed that.

If you want to pore through my posts, I’ve given the Cats a lot of credit this year, and what I said about UTM doesn’t take anything away from the Cats either. Relax dude.

rivercat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by rivercat » Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:59 pm

SHSU was lucky to squeak by Incarnate Word and make it to the quarter finals. They play in a weak conference that results in their stats looking really good. They've played 2 ranked, but not top 15, teams and they were very close games.

Honestly I'd rather play SHSU than any remaining team from the Missouri Valley, Big Sky, or CAA. The Bobcats have a great chance of winning.

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:26 pm

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:52 pm
91catAlum wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
I said this about UTM before we played them. They would be an average BSC team. The way they played showed that.

If you want to pore through my posts, I’ve given the Cats a lot of credit this year, and what I said about UTM doesn’t take anything away from the Cats either. Relax dude.
I am relaxed, dude. And my post wasn't just about you. When we went on the road and beat a tough Weber team, people here said that Weber wasn't any good. Then we go on the road and shut down Barriere and EWU, and they said EWU just didn't play good and it was the wind blah blah. And now we completely shut down a UTM team that won 10 games and knocked off a good Missouri State team last week, and now UTM isn't a good team. 🙄 it gets old.

The Cats could win the natty, and there are people on here who would say its only because we had an easy path and we never beat anybody good. :roll:

If we beat Sammy next week, I promise you that we'll be reading about how overrated Sammy was and that MSU still hasn't beat anyone :lol:

rivercat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by rivercat » Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:33 pm

91catAlum wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:26 pm
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:

I am relaxed, dude. And my post wasn't just about you. When we went on the road and beat a tough Weber team, people here said that Weber wasn't any good. Then we go on the road and shut down Barriere and EWU, and they said EWU just didn't play good and it was the wind blah blah. And now we completely shut down a UTM team that won 10 games and knocked off a good Missouri State team last week, and now UTM isn't a good team. 🙄 it gets old.

The Cats could win the natty, and there are people on here who would say its only because we had an easy path and we never beat anybody good. :roll:

If we beat Sammy next week, I promise you that we'll be reading about how overrated Sammy was and that MSU still hasn't beat anyone :lol:
Sammy is overrated but that will not take anything away from the win the Cats will get in TX.

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:43 pm

91catAlum wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:26 pm
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:

You’re likely right. Has happened a bit after every win so I don’t know why Saturday would be different.