Matt McKay into the NCAA Transfer Portal

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

utucats
Member # Retired

Re: Matt McKay into the NCAA Transfer Portal

Post by utucats » Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:11 am

bobcatfan123 wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:50 am
utucats wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:26 pm
onceacat wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:17 pm
utucats wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:41 pm
onceacat wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:12 pm
utucats wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:40 pm
onceacat wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:10 pm
utucats wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:01 pm
onceacat wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:06 pm
Gr8 day to be a Bobcat wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:41 pm
To properly understand the full context on this, didn't the coach that originally recruited MM to Montana State do something similar in leaving to Texas?
I am confused why the people who sign contracts and collect salaries are largely cleared in these situations when compared to student-athletes.
And didn’t the current HC do something similar in leaving his former spot? And the current OC do something similar in Eugene?
Well they all did that in the off season so not apples to apples. The timing shows me his a whiny little b****. We don’t need that so I think it’s for the best.
It would be useful to have a set of rules so players know what their obligations are to entitlement fans like you.
Entitlement fans, that’s hilarious. Makes perfect sense that you’d rip me, someone with endless devotion to the Cats both emotionally and monetarily in favor of someone who quit them in the playoffs.
I'm not ripping you. I'm calling you out for being a d-bag. And, yes, ENTITLED. You are the very definition of ENTITLEMENT FAN.

"I financially support the team, so I get to call names."

**** Off.
Another internet tough guy. :roll:

I’m not calling names because I financially support the Cats. I’m calling names cause they are justified by his actions. He literally played in front of Rovig who acted exactly the opposite. So Rovig can sit for him but he can’t sit for anyone?

You are defending someone who acted entitled and like a d bag and then you come on here and say that about people who maintain loyalty to MSU. Priorities tough guy.
You wanna fight bro? Do you even lift?

Seriously, you are the one who called names because you feel entitled since you give so much money to the program.

Which is sort of the point about snowflakes that feel entitled.

McKay didn't "act entitled". He made a business decision just like the coaching staff that recruited him. And like the coaches who bailed on their teams in order to be here.

Funny how you slobber all over the coaches but call names of the kids that do the same thing.

Entitled snowflake.
Do you even lift :lol:

I quit cause I don’t get to start. Yeah nothing entitled about that at all.

You aren’t smart enough to debate with any more. Thanks and have a good night.
Utcats i get what your saying as MMs actions run contrary to my values and the values I try and instill in my kids. However, I’ve made mistakes and acted in ways contrary to my values. MM didn’t handle a difficult situation well, but he’s also just a kid that is having a really rough couple of weeks.
I think he’s a young adult and we’ve all made mistakes. I called him a whiny little bitch, there are times when I’ve been a whiny little bitch. The best remedy for it is to call it out and not find ways to excuse people’s actions.

I’m not trying to do that though. I’m not his Dad! He quit our team the first time he got told to let someone else play. The timing of his decision was BS. Now in addition to acting ENTITLED, all of us need to make sure we protect his feelings on this site? I doubt even he is dumb enough to expect that.

It’s not surprising that he had issues as the year went on when he only cares about his teammates if he gets to be the starting QB. Who wants to block for that guy?

Bobcatsinmso
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by Bobcatsinmso » Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:11 am

I think it's time for a freaking football game.
Move on, move up, rally around the team...the guys with no names on their jerseys other than MONTANA STATE BOBCATS .
Going to be a great day, loud and proud, both players and fans...I am on the road shortly with Missoula in my rear view mirror.
Go Cats Go!

The State of Montana is Bobcat country.
missoula....still just 20 miles from Montana.
FTG

Marana CAT
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Marana CAT » Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:50 am

onceacat wrote:
utucats wrote:
onceacat wrote:
utucats wrote:
onceacat wrote:
utucats wrote:
onceacat wrote:
To properly understand the full context on this, didn't the coach that originally recruited MM to Montana State do something similar in leaving to Texas?
I am confused why the people who sign contracts and collect salaries are largely cleared in these situations when compared to student-athletes.
And didn’t the current HC do something similar in leaving his former spot? And the current OC do something similar in Eugene?
Well they all did that in the off season so not apples to apples. The timing shows me his a whiny little b****. We don’t need that so I think it’s for the best.
It would be useful to have a set of rules so players know what their obligations are to entitlement fans like you.
Entitlement fans, that’s hilarious. Makes perfect sense that you’d rip me, someone with endless devotion to the Cats both emotionally and monetarily in favor of someone who quit them in the playoffs.
I'm not ripping you. I'm calling you out for being a d-bag. And, yes, ENTITLED. You are the very definition of ENTITLEMENT FAN.

**** Off.

I’m not calling names because I financially support the Cats. I’m calling names cause they are justified by his actions. He literally played in front of Rovig who acted exactly the opposite. So Rovig can sit for him but he can’t sit for anyone?

You are defending someone who acted entitled and like a d bag and then you come on here and say that about people who maintain loyalty to MSU. Priorities tough guy.

Seriously, you are the one who called names because you feel entitled since you give so much money to the program.

McKay didn't "act entitled". He made a business decision just like the coaching staff that recruited him. And like the coaches who bailed on their teams in order to be here.

Funny how you slobber all over the coaches but call names of the kids that do the same thing.

Entitled snowflake.
Ok are you 2 really arguing about the QB situation or about who ate the last hot pocket while gaming in your mom’s basement???

“Maaaaaa more meatloaf”!!!!

"Sticks and stones may break my bones, but I will kick you repeatedly in the balls, Gardocki!"

ND0479
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by ND0479 » Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:55 am

Marana CAT wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:50 am
onceacat wrote:
utucats wrote:
onceacat wrote:
utucats wrote:
onceacat wrote:
utucats wrote:
onceacat wrote:

**** Off.

Entitled snowflake.
Ok are you 2 really arguing about the QB situation or about who ate the last hot pocket while gaming in your mom’s basement???

Hot pockets ain’t what they used to be

spring creek cat

Post by spring creek cat » Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:15 am

This has gotten ridiculous!!’ Definitely done checking this thread!

utucats
Member # Retired

Post by utucats » Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:34 am

Marana CAT wrote:
onceacat wrote:
utucats wrote:
onceacat wrote:
utucats wrote:
onceacat wrote:
utucats wrote:
onceacat wrote:

**** Off.

Entitled snowflake.

I ate the last hot pocket.

TIrwin24
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by TIrwin24 » Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:57 am

This thread is embarrassing. You guys need to go for a run or something and let off some steam. Nobody likes that McKay had to declare to leave MSU this way, but suck it up and deal with it. #StopActingLikeGrizFans

"I've always followed in my father's footsteps, not necessarily because I wanted to, but because it is in my spirit."

-Singlefin Yellow

GoldstoneCat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by GoldstoneCat » Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:09 am

Marana CAT wrote:
onceacat wrote:
utucats wrote:
onceacat wrote:
utucats wrote:
onceacat wrote:
utucats wrote:
onceacat wrote:

**** Off.

Entitled snowflake.

Mom THE MEATLOAF! ******! :lol: excellent reference

D-Wreck

Post by D-Wreck » Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:32 am

ND0479 wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:55 am
Hot pockets ain’t what they used to be
I recently had pizza rolls for the first time in about 15 years. They were awful. I was disappointed.

The Butcher
Golden Bobcat

Post by The Butcher » Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:07 pm

BigBruceBaker wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:39 pm
The Butcher wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:53 pm
BigBruceBaker wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:29 pm
The Butcher wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:10 pm
All the people that think the O-line is the problem; honest question have you watched the game film?
I haven't sat down and watched the O-line play extremely close, but this whole O-line narrative being the problem is suspect to me.
With an extremely predictable game plan it is pretty easy for a defense to call in plays that will beat your protections. When the defense is continually stacking the box and you run right into it, your O-line's success rate is going to be pretty low. We seldom audibled out of play calls as we all were looking at 7 or 8 rushes to 5 or 6 blockers. Sorry guys; the O-line isn't going to beat that look 75% of the time. UM killed us with run blitzes, so what did we do? We ran it of course. Again; unless someone has watched the breakdown of the game film, I would maybe take a step back on pinning the offensive problems on the O-line.
Who is saying the O-Line is solely to blame?

I have watched the oline underperform for weeks. It’s multiple problems, not just poor play. If you think the oline is playing well, you need to watch game film.
You have watched the actual breakdown of the game film? Included with that film you would need to know offensive calls (blocking duties) and what defense is being run (what gaps are the defenders responsible for). It would be pretty difficult to understand that from watching the TV recorded game, but if you have access to the actual line of scrimmage film from the football program than I would differ to your knowledge.
I'm confused, have you watched the actual line of scrimmage film from the football program with the aforementioned items? If so I'll gladly tell you I'm wrong.

Noone one here (from what i've seen) is saying the O-Line is the only offensive entity at fault. Does some poor blocking, missing assignments etc contribute to an offense that is already struggling? Absolutely. I'm unsure why you would argue this point.
You are the one implying you know that the o-line is failing, not me. If you make that assessment I assume you have supporting information… Evaluating the o-line from a TV production is pretty tough, but I guess you are able to do it.

Bozeman42
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Bozeman42 » Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:54 am

Serious question… does MM does get his full scholarship for this semester since he quit?

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:20 am

Bozeman42 wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:54 am
Serious question… does MM does get his full scholarship for this semester since he quit?
With 2 weeks left in the semester, I would guess that he does. It's usually paid for at the beginning, isn't it?

FYI
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by FYI » Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:35 pm

91catAlum wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:20 am
Bozeman42 wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:54 am
With 2 weeks left in the semester, I would guess that he does. It's usually paid for at the beginning, isn't it?
I don't think he's eating with the team tho'... 8-[

justafan

Post by justafan » Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:51 pm

it is my understanding that an athlete on a scholarship can be required to payback any scholarship money for the current semester if you quit your sport during the season. Maybe they do not consider playoffs part of the season I don't know. Who knows how much scholarship money he was getting maybe not that much.

Lord Vigo
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Lord Vigo » Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:07 pm

Certainly McKay would have been on a full ride, no?

justafan

Post by justafan » Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:57 pm

Lord Vigo wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:07 pm
full rides and partial scholarships can be pulled or changed at any time so who knows maybe that came into play on his decision to enter the portal. It often happens to players after coaching changes. maybe he was full ride and told he was only getting partial or maybe scholarship talk was never even in the equation.

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:55 pm

PapaG wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:08 pm
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:33 am
coloradocat wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:33 pm
McKay broke our Cat-griz streak of only scoring on rushing TDs. Good riddance. :wink:

Hopefully he finds a spot where he fits in. Nobody here knows why he decided to leave the program, especially two days before our first playoff game. I can't imagine he just found out he'd be the backup this morning but I also can't imagine that entering the portal today instead of Sunday is going to increase his chances of getting the kind of offers he wants.
If he’d waited until Sunday, Saturday would have been really odd and an even bigger distraction. Come game time, and people are heading into the stadium and no McKay warming up. No McKay anywhere. Weird vibe in the crowd. An audible wave of “where’s McKay? What’s going on?” That unease from 14,777 people could easily transfer to the team. If he was done, they really couldn’t ask him to suit up and just stand on the sidelines. (Maybe could have used a body double!) It seems like Thursday was the best day to get it out in the open, and as was mentioned, release the news while T-Mart was flying the friendly skies watching film on Matt. I feel a certain sense of relief, a significant lessening of uncertainty. I hope the team does, too.

Go, ‘Cats. 💙 💛 😺
Great point but it’s 19847 in attendance!
On the Gamecast site, espn, they showed 15327.

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

lutecat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by lutecat » Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:28 pm

justafan wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:57 pm
Lord Vigo wrote:
full rides and partial scholarships can be pulled or changed at any time so who knows maybe that came into play on his decision to enter the portal. It often happens to players after coaching changes. maybe he was full ride and told he was only getting partial or maybe scholarship talk was never even in the equation.
I seriously doubt they talked scholarships in the middle of the playoffs.

justafan

Post by justafan » Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:30 am

lutecat wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:28 pm
justafan wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:57 pm
Lord Vigo wrote:
I seriously doubt they talked scholarships in the middle of the playoffs.
hence my last part of the last sentence.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:34 am

BigBruceBaker wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:53 am
Hawks86 wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:27 am
I think the blame for the offensive problems can be sprinkled over just about everybody.
I agree wholeheartedly, and to say otherwise shows some serious lack of even the semblance of football knowledge.

House has been calling bad plays, regardless of the reason he has been poorly prepared for the last 5 games, with EWOO being the only potential acceptable spot. He has been unable to adjust mid game to defensive schemes and has been unable to call plays that allow the offense to be successful.

McKay hasn't been good the last 6 games, again regardless of the reason, he hasn't been good. He almost NEVER makes it past his first progression and stares down his receivers to the point he was burning a hole in their helmet with his eyes. Everyone knew where the ball was going, id says its a testament to his arm strength that he didn't have more balls picked off. Overall, he did an "ok" job with the rpo, you can only do so much when the defense knows whats coming. And overall he throws a nice deep ball with relative accuracy and gets it in the spot where a wr can catch it.

O-line play has not been good the last few weeks, they are overpowered at the line of scrimmage on many run plays - not opening holes, missing assignments, letting guys come in off the edge to make a TFL. They also have not been good in pass protection, some of this is on the coordinator and qb, but the o-line must play better.

WR need to run crisper routes, block a bit better and come down with some contested balls. But I largely give a pass to the wr group. In the griz game we use Mellott as a wr instead of Nate Stewart (# 10, if i have his name wrong) who is finally healthy. I believe (but could be mistaken) he caught the fade route ball in the back of the endzone at the end of the griz game - why wasn't he playing? Again a coaching issue.

I definitely think a lot of the offensive issues stem from Coach House, he needs to get the team together, effectively game plan to his weapons strengths and prove he is a d1 coach.

Just my .02.
There was a play in the game where Mellot rolled to his right. He had two options in the flats but both were covered. I thought Mellot better throw it out of bounds or he will take a sack. Tommy turned his head, made the next read and fired a dart to the wr coming across the middle from the other side. It jumped out at me as I couldn’t recall another play this season where our QB made another read like that. It could have been the play call, the line protection or the QB, but I felt a new sense of excitement for the offense at that moment. Hoping to see more of that this weekend.