Matt McKay into the NCAA Transfer Portal

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Gr8 day to be a Bobcat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Re: Matt McKay into the NCAA Transfer Portal

Post by Gr8 day to be a Bobcat » Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:41 pm

To properly understand the full context on this, didn't the coach that originally recruited MM to Montana State do something similar in leaving to Texas?
I am confused why the people who sign contracts and collect salaries are largely cleared in these situations when compared to student-athletes.

Long live the donjoy mafia

“The knife is in…keep twisting”

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:42 pm

Sotallytober wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:26 pm
PapaG wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:53 am
His former teammates say otherwise but anonymity here means you can say whatever you want about him. I think the timing is questionable but do understand it because of the December signing period and finding a new fit as a grad transfer.
Early signing doesn't even start until 12/15.
Yeah, that’s 13 days away.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

The Butcher
Golden Bobcat

Post by The Butcher » Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:53 pm

BigBruceBaker wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:29 pm
The Butcher wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:10 pm
All the people that think the O-line is the problem; honest question have you watched the game film?
I haven't sat down and watched the O-line play extremely close, but this whole O-line narrative being the problem is suspect to me.
With an extremely predictable game plan it is pretty easy for a defense to call in plays that will beat your protections. When the defense is continually stacking the box and you run right into it, your O-line's success rate is going to be pretty low. We seldom audibled out of play calls as we all were looking at 7 or 8 rushes to 5 or 6 blockers. Sorry guys; the O-line isn't going to beat that look 75% of the time. UM killed us with run blitzes, so what did we do? We ran it of course. Again; unless someone has watched the breakdown of the game film, I would maybe take a step back on pinning the offensive problems on the O-line.
Who is saying the O-Line is solely to blame?

I have watched the oline underperform for weeks. It’s multiple problems, not just poor play. If you think the oline is playing well, you need to watch game film.
You have watched the actual breakdown of the game film? Included with that film you would need to know offensive calls (blocking duties) and what defense is being run (what gaps are the defenders responsible for). It would be pretty difficult to understand that from watching the TV recorded game, but if you have access to the actual line of scrimmage film from the football program than I would differ to your knowledge.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:22 pm

rivercat wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:53 pm
This may piss off a few, but oh well.

Matthew McKay quit. I don't care what the excuse or reason is/was. He quit. He quit 2 days prior to the first playoff game. I don't see other players quitting because the offense isn't perfect. It's been rumored he wouldn't start this week. Does he fulfill the role of backup? No, he quit and entered the transfer portal to go play for a different team, again!

I view this as a positive going forward. I don't wish him ill will but I'm not going to point a finger at anyone but him for him leaving. And I'm not going to drag the rest of the team through the dirt because the offense hasn't been great (9-2 folks). They stayed to play with their teammates and fulfill whatever role they need to to help the team win. Because that's what teammates do!

Go Bobcats
Do you feel like the quitting thing is unacceptable regardless of the circumstances? What if he was just told that he had terminal cancer and three months to live? I told myself I wouldn't get sucked into all this speculation and opinion sharing thing but here I am. I have NO idea why he left, but I have my opinions. If it did happen to be due to severe anxiety (Again, no idea), then I do know for the people that deal with it it can be every bit as terrifying as being told you are going to die within three months.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:25 pm

catatac wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:22 pm
rivercat wrote:

Matthew McKay quit. I don't care what the excuse or reason is/was. He quit. He quit 2 days prior to the first playoff game. I don't see other players quitting because the offense isn't perfect. It's been rumored he wouldn't start this week. Does he fulfill the role of backup? No, he quit and entered the transfer portal to go play for a different team, again!

I view this as a positive going forward. I don't wish him ill will but I'm not going to point a finger at anyone but him for him leaving. And I'm not going to drag the rest of the team through the dirt because the offense hasn't been great (9-2 folks). They stayed to play with their teammates and fulfill whatever role they need to to help the team win. Because that's what teammates do!

Go Bobcats
Do you feel like the quitting thing is unacceptable regardless of the circumstances? What if he was just told that he had terminal cancer and three months to live? I told myself I wouldn't get sucked into all this speculation and opinion sharing thing but here I am. I have NO idea why he left, but I have my opinions. If it did happen to be due to severe anxiety (Again, no idea), then I do know for the people that deal with it it can be every bit as terrifying as being told you are going to die within three months.
Pretty sure he wouldn't be in the transfer portal for next season if he had 3 months to live.

justafan
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by justafan » Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:30 pm

catatac wrote:
rivercat wrote:

Go Bobcats
I doubt he would have entered the portal if that were the case....if his anxiety were so bad it made him quit I doubt entering the portal at this stage of his career would lessen his anxiety...Hopefully Mellot will have the break out game that we have been waiting for.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:36 pm

PapaG wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:03 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:56 am
PapaG wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:31 am
ND0479 wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:23 am
CelticCat wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:22 am
The optics on this look pretty bad for MSU right now. A win fixes that and we'll all look back on it as a good move for everyone involved. If Tommy comes out and we don't look much better on offense and we end up losing, sh*t is going to hit the fan hard in Bozeman.
I feel confident Tommy has all the capabilities to get the offense back on the right track, but I don’t think it’ll happen this weekend…hope I’m wrong. I’m just hung up on the lack of experience and given UTM is admittedly already playing with house money, they’re going to play so aggressive defensively and throw every trick they can at him.

I think we still win with our defense, but I fully expect TM to make a handful of mistakes…as well as a few explosive plays!
Saturday is going to be the Isaiah Ifanse Show along with the defense.
So like our entire season so far!
Pretty much! Whether that’s on the coaching or the QB remains to be seen.
Agreed. All this just makes me even more excited for tomorrow.

rivercat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by rivercat » Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:08 pm

catatac wrote:
rivercat wrote:

Go Bobcats
He entered the transfer portal to play elsewhere. He doesn't have terminal cancer and almost surely not debilitating anxiety because if that were the case, he would quit football altogether which I would respect.

I'm not pissed at him but I'm not wasting sympathy on him either.

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

ND0479
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by ND0479 » Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:23 pm

PapaG wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:42 pm
Sotallytober wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:26 pm
PapaG wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:53 am
His former teammates say otherwise but anonymity here means you can say whatever you want about him. I think the timing is questionable but do understand it because of the December signing period and finding a new fit as a grad transfer.
Early signing doesn't even start until 12/15.
Yeah, that’s 13 days away.
Maybe I’m wrong, but I don’t think there are any dates limiting when transfers can or can’t sign. Pretty sure that only applies to HS seniors.

BigBruceBaker
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by BigBruceBaker » Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:39 pm

The Butcher wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:53 pm
BigBruceBaker wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:29 pm
The Butcher wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:10 pm
All the people that think the O-line is the problem; honest question have you watched the game film?
I haven't sat down and watched the O-line play extremely close, but this whole O-line narrative being the problem is suspect to me.
With an extremely predictable game plan it is pretty easy for a defense to call in plays that will beat your protections. When the defense is continually stacking the box and you run right into it, your O-line's success rate is going to be pretty low. We seldom audibled out of play calls as we all were looking at 7 or 8 rushes to 5 or 6 blockers. Sorry guys; the O-line isn't going to beat that look 75% of the time. UM killed us with run blitzes, so what did we do? We ran it of course. Again; unless someone has watched the breakdown of the game film, I would maybe take a step back on pinning the offensive problems on the O-line.
Who is saying the O-Line is solely to blame?

I have watched the oline underperform for weeks. It’s multiple problems, not just poor play. If you think the oline is playing well, you need to watch game film.
You have watched the actual breakdown of the game film? Included with that film you would need to know offensive calls (blocking duties) and what defense is being run (what gaps are the defenders responsible for). It would be pretty difficult to understand that from watching the TV recorded game, but if you have access to the actual line of scrimmage film from the football program than I would differ to your knowledge.
I'm confused, have you watched the actual line of scrimmage film from the football program with the aforementioned items? If so I'll gladly tell you I'm wrong.

Noone one here (from what i've seen) is saying the O-Line is the only offensive entity at fault. Does some poor blocking, missing assignments etc contribute to an offense that is already struggling? Absolutely. I'm unsure why you would argue this point.

I love the Bobcats and the Miami Hurricanes an unhealthy level

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:05 pm

According to his (or whomever posts) his Captain McKay post he cites Bobcat Fans as his problem. Maybe he reads BN (which all coaches warn players not to do) and he's very sensitive...so he's going away pouting. Just my take....
Last edited by Helcat72 on Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

2024 Resume dominance

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:08 pm

Helcat72 wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:05 pm
According to his Captain McKay post he cites Bobcat Fans as his problem. Maybe he reads BN (which all coaches warn players not to do) and he's very sensitive...so he's going away pouting. Just my take....
I'd guess the dude who posted the reply on twitter saying it was everyone else's fault runs the Capt Twitter.

94VegasCat
Golden Bobcat
Location: Physically in northern Montana but my heart and soul are in Bobcat Stadium

Post by 94VegasCat » Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:11 pm

Helcat72 wrote:
According to his (or whomever posts) his Captain McKay post he cites Bobcat Fans as his problem. Maybe he reads BN (which all coaches warn players not to do) and he's very sensitive...so he's going away pouting. Just my take....
Is that a recent post? Last one I see was after we got trounced in Missoula

GO CATS GO. ESG! GO CATS GO

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:16 pm

94VegasCat wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:11 pm
Helcat72 wrote:
Is that a recent post? Last one I see was after we got trounced in Missoula
It's not a real post. Photoshop on egriz.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

duelalumnicat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by duelalumnicat » Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:23 pm

I just checked. Matt McKay's last post on his Captain Matt McKay Twitter account was November 20, prior to Cat/Griz. His last post on his regular Twitter account was his portal tweet yesterday December 2nd. He has no recent posts blaming Bobcat fans for his departure. I don't think it helps the situation to post false statements on this board. [-X

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:59 pm

PapaG wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:40 am
Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:31 am
91catAlum wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:22 am
utucats wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:00 am
PapaG wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:58 am
Cledus wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:01 pm
kennethnoisewater wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:19 pm
Anxiety is a killer. We all get anxiety, but some people just don't have the tools to deal with it and they're completely paralyzed by it. Hard for most people to understand. He played most of the season like he was dealing with anxiety. I hope he can get that straightened out. I do wish he had somebody in his ear telling him to tough it out for the sake of his character and reputation. If there's some reason why he had to make the decision right now I'd be curious to know what it is.
Yup. By leaving now he’s kicking the can down the road instead of learning how to constructively deal with it. Quitting now just makes it that much easier to quit in the future when there could be something on the line much more important than a game and his feelings.
This person has never dealt with severe anxiety.
To be fair, there is a good chance that neither has McKay. Weird how a passing comment can catch like wildfire around here.
Ya, sheesh. Someone says Matt gets anxious during games, and suddenly he has clinical anxiety and needs help and meds and we're all a bunch of insensitive jerks.
It’s sad, but that is the world we live in. You have to be politically correct and if you are not the mob will cancel you or make you out as the problem. I personally think, and have heard, McKay was checked out 5 games ago when Tommy got some run. I would put money that he quit because of that and now he is looking to go to a school where he can start again. I don’t think it has anything to do with anxiety, especially with his past actions on the field and around the guys once Tommy entered the picture.
You talk a lot of sh*t and tear down players. That’s been your M. O. for years.
Talks s***, tears down players with personal attacks, calls names…

And then whines like a snowflake about political correctness when someone points out he’s acting like a douche.

Good thing the Hi Line is a safe space so he doesn’t have to endure micro-aggressions from more reasonable folks on BN.

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:06 pm

Gr8 day to be a Bobcat wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:41 pm
To properly understand the full context on this, didn't the coach that originally recruited MM to Montana State do something similar in leaving to Texas?
I am confused why the people who sign contracts and collect salaries are largely cleared in these situations when compared to student-athletes.
And didn’t the current HC do something similar in leaving his former spot? And the current OC do something similar in Eugene?

utucats
Member # Retired

Post by utucats » Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:01 pm

onceacat wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:06 pm
And didn’t the current HC do something similar in leaving his former spot? And the current OC do something similar in Eugene?
Well they all did that in the off season so not apples to apples. The timing shows me his a whiny little b****. We don’t need that so I think it’s for the best.

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:10 pm

utucats wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:01 pm
onceacat wrote:
Well they all did that in the off season so not apples to apples. The timing shows me his a whiny little b****. We don’t need that so I think it’s for the best.
It would be useful to have a set of rules so players know what their obligations are to entitlement fans like you.

utucats
Member # Retired

Post by utucats » Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:38 pm

onceacat wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:10 pm
utucats wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:01 pm
onceacat wrote:
It would be useful to have a set of rules so players know what their obligations are to entitlement fans like you.
Not quitting on your team before the end of the season is one of those unwritten rules.

He could have looked at Rovig and learned a classy way to move down the depth chart.