Matt McKay into the NCAA Transfer Portal

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Re: Matt McKay into the NCAA Transfer Portal

Post by PapaG » Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:31 am

ND0479 wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:23 am
CelticCat wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:22 am
The optics on this look pretty bad for MSU right now. A win fixes that and we'll all look back on it as a good move for everyone involved. If Tommy comes out and we don't look much better on offense and we end up losing, sh*t is going to hit the fan hard in Bozeman.
I feel confident Tommy has all the capabilities to get the offense back on the right track, but I don’t think it’ll happen this weekend…hope I’m wrong. I’m just hung up on the lack of experience and given UTM is admittedly already playing with house money, they’re going to play so aggressive defensively and throw every trick they can at him.

I think we still win with our defense, but I fully expect TM to make a handful of mistakes…as well as a few explosive plays!
Saturday is going to be the Isaiah Ifanse Show along with the defense.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

Hi-Line Bobcat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:31 am

91catAlum wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:22 am
utucats wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:00 am
PapaG wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:58 am
Cledus wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:01 pm
kennethnoisewater wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:19 pm
Anxiety is a killer. We all get anxiety, but some people just don't have the tools to deal with it and they're completely paralyzed by it. Hard for most people to understand. He played most of the season like he was dealing with anxiety. I hope he can get that straightened out. I do wish he had somebody in his ear telling him to tough it out for the sake of his character and reputation. If there's some reason why he had to make the decision right now I'd be curious to know what it is.
Yup. By leaving now he’s kicking the can down the road instead of learning how to constructively deal with it. Quitting now just makes it that much easier to quit in the future when there could be something on the line much more important than a game and his feelings.
This person has never dealt with severe anxiety.
To be fair, there is a good chance that neither has McKay. Weird how a passing comment can catch like wildfire around here.
Ya, sheesh. Someone says Matt gets anxious during games, and suddenly he has clinical anxiety and needs help and meds and we're all a bunch of insensitive jerks.
It’s sad, but that is the world we live in. You have to be politically correct and if you are not the mob will cancel you or make you out as the problem. I personally think, and have heard, McKay was checked out 5 games ago when Tommy got some run. I would put money that he quit because of that and now he is looking to go to a school where he can start again. I don’t think it has anything to do with anxiety, especially with his past actions on the field and around the guys once Tommy entered the picture.

If your left, you aren’t right.

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:33 am

coloradocat wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:33 pm
McKay broke our Cat-griz streak of only scoring on rushing TDs. Good riddance. :wink:

Hopefully he finds a spot where he fits in. Nobody here knows why he decided to leave the program, especially two days before our first playoff game. I can't imagine he just found out he'd be the backup this morning but I also can't imagine that entering the portal today instead of Sunday is going to increase his chances of getting the kind of offers he wants.
If he’d waited until Sunday, Saturday would have been really odd and an even bigger distraction. Come game time, and people are heading into the stadium and no McKay warming up. No McKay anywhere. Weird vibe in the crowd. An audible wave of “where’s McKay? What’s going on?” That unease from 14,777 people could easily transfer to the team. If he was done, they really couldn’t ask him to suit up and just stand on the sidelines. (Maybe could have used a body double!) It seems like Thursday was the best day to get it out in the open, and as was mentioned, release the news while T-Mart was flying the friendly skies watching film on Matt. I feel a certain sense of relief, a significant lessening of uncertainty. I hope the team does, too.

Go, ‘Cats. 💙 💛 😺

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Post by LTown Cat » Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:36 am

PapaG wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:30 am
bcatfan1 wrote:
Long Time Cat wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:57 am
Regardless of why Matt left I like the timing of getting Tommy the start this week over last week. Three reasons. 1) They have two weeks to get him ready and make game plan adjustments necessary. 2) UTM not near as good on defense as the griz. 3) This relates to the first two. If he is indeed the QB of the future you don't want to turn the reigns over to him in the middle of the game but its smart to get him game reps in a limited offense. I am pretty sure this has been hotly debated by the coaching staff for a while, as it has been hotly debated here, and they have been planning for a way to start him of with success. A win tomorrow would do just that. Go Tommy! Go Cats!
I was thinking the same thing this morning. I wonder if the coaches wanted to make a change after the Idaho games but didn't want to throw Tommy to the wolves in Wagriz stadium (ala Jake Bleskin). This seems like a perfect time to make the move. And I'm excited to see what he does with the opportunity. Go Cats!
I was sitting maybe 5 yards in the second row from where Jake Bleskin was sitting on the bench when the defense was on the field and his shoulder was being worked on all game. He should have never been put into that position by Ash. I genuinely felt bad for him. I went up to a friend’s luxury suite for the second half of that game because it got to be too much to witness.
I agree--I went to the Press Box!

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:40 am

Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:31 am
91catAlum wrote:
utucats wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:00 am
PapaG wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:58 am
Cledus wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:01 pm
kennethnoisewater wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:19 pm
Anxiety is a killer. We all get anxiety, but some people just don't have the tools to deal with it and they're completely paralyzed by it. Hard for most people to understand. He played most of the season like he was dealing with anxiety. I hope he can get that straightened out. I do wish he had somebody in his ear telling him to tough it out for the sake of his character and reputation. If there's some reason why he had to make the decision right now I'd be curious to know what it is.
Yup. By leaving now he’s kicking the can down the road instead of learning how to constructively deal with it. Quitting now just makes it that much easier to quit in the future when there could be something on the line much more important than a game and his feelings.
This person has never dealt with severe anxiety.
To be fair, there is a good chance that neither has McKay. Weird how a passing comment can catch like wildfire around here.
Ya, sheesh. Someone says Matt gets anxious during games, and suddenly he has clinical anxiety and needs help and meds and we're all a bunch of insensitive jerks.
It’s sad, but that is the world we live in. You have to be politically correct and if you are not the mob will cancel you or make you out as the problem. I personally think, and have heard, McKay was checked out 5 games ago when Tommy got some run. I would put money that he quit because of that and now he is looking to go to a school where he can start again. I don’t think it has anything to do with anxiety, especially with his past actions on the field and around the guys once Tommy entered the picture.
You talk a lot of sh*t and tear down players. That’s been your M. O. for years.

What a ride

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:44 am

LTown Cat wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:36 am
PapaG wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:30 am
bcatfan1 wrote:
Long Time Cat wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:57 am
Regardless of why Matt left I like the timing of getting Tommy the start this week over last week. Three reasons. 1) They have two weeks to get him ready and make game plan adjustments necessary. 2) UTM not near as good on defense as the griz. 3) This relates to the first two. If he is indeed the QB of the future you don't want to turn the reigns over to him in the middle of the game but its smart to get him game reps in a limited offense. I am pretty sure this has been hotly debated by the coaching staff for a while, as it has been hotly debated here, and they have been planning for a way to start him of with success. A win tomorrow would do just that. Go Tommy! Go Cats!
I was thinking the same thing this morning. I wonder if the coaches wanted to make a change after the Idaho games but didn't want to throw Tommy to the wolves in Wagriz stadium (ala Jake Bleskin). This seems like a perfect time to make the move. And I'm excited to see what he does with the opportunity. Go Cats!
I was sitting maybe 5 yards in the second row from where Jake Bleskin was sitting on the bench when the defense was on the field and his shoulder was being worked on all game. He should have never been put into that position by Ash. I genuinely felt bad for him. I went up to a friend’s luxury suite for the second half of that game because it got to be too much to witness.
I agree--I went to the Press Box!
Griz grad from HS has the suite and I drank more IPAs that second half than I can count.

What a ride

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:56 am

PapaG wrote:
ND0479 wrote:
CelticCat wrote:
The optics on this look pretty bad for MSU right now. A win fixes that and we'll all look back on it as a good move for everyone involved. If Tommy comes out and we don't look much better on offense and we end up losing, sh*t is going to hit the fan hard in Bozeman.
I feel confident Tommy has all the capabilities to get the offense back on the right track, but I don’t think it’ll happen this weekend…hope I’m wrong. I’m just hung up on the lack of experience and given UTM is admittedly already playing with house money, they’re going to play so aggressive defensively and throw every trick they can at him.

I think we still win with our defense, but I fully expect TM to make a handful of mistakes…as well as a few explosive plays!
So like our entire season so far!

84CatGrad
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by 84CatGrad » Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:03 pm

I have a friend who is well connected to a current player. I occasionally get a little intel via this pipeline. Very little really. But a few weeks ago I heard that the coaching staff was begging McKay to keep the ball more often on the RPO but he just wouldn't. The player said it was because he didn't like contact. Dunno if this is fact or fiction given the indirect source of the info. Just food for thought.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:03 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:56 am
PapaG wrote:
ND0479 wrote:
CelticCat wrote:

So like our entire season so far!
Pretty much! Whether that’s on the coaching or the QB remains to be seen.

What a ride

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:08 pm

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:33 am
coloradocat wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:33 pm
McKay broke our Cat-griz streak of only scoring on rushing TDs. Good riddance. :wink:

Hopefully he finds a spot where he fits in. Nobody here knows why he decided to leave the program, especially two days before our first playoff game. I can't imagine he just found out he'd be the backup this morning but I also can't imagine that entering the portal today instead of Sunday is going to increase his chances of getting the kind of offers he wants.
If he’d waited until Sunday, Saturday would have been really odd and an even bigger distraction. Come game time, and people are heading into the stadium and no McKay warming up. No McKay anywhere. Weird vibe in the crowd. An audible wave of “where’s McKay? What’s going on?” That unease from 14,777 people could easily transfer to the team. If he was done, they really couldn’t ask him to suit up and just stand on the sidelines. (Maybe could have used a body double!) It seems like Thursday was the best day to get it out in the open, and as was mentioned, release the news while T-Mart was flying the friendly skies watching film on Matt. I feel a certain sense of relief, a significant lessening of uncertainty. I hope the team does, too.

Go, ‘Cats. 💙 💛 😺
Great point but it’s 19847 in attendance!

What a ride

The Butcher
Golden Bobcat

Post by The Butcher » Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:10 pm

All the people that think the O-line is the problem; honest question have you watched the game film?
I haven't sat down and watched the O-line play extremely close, but this whole O-line narrative being the problem is suspect to me.
With an extremely predictable game plan it is pretty easy for a defense to call in plays that will beat your protections. When the defense is continually stacking the box and you run right into it, your O-line's success rate is going to be pretty low. We seldom audibled out of play calls as we all were looking at 7 or 8 rushes to 5 or 6 blockers. Sorry guys; the O-line isn't going to beat that look 75% of the time. UM killed us with run blitzes, so what did we do? We ran it of course. Again; unless someone has watched the breakdown of the game film, I would maybe take a step back on pinning the offensive problems on the O-line.

Sotallytober
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Sotallytober » Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:26 pm

PapaG wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:53 am
His former teammates say otherwise but anonymity here means you can say whatever you want about him. I think the timing is questionable but do understand it because of the December signing period and finding a new fit as a grad transfer.
Early signing doesn't even start until 12/15.

BigBruceBaker

Post by BigBruceBaker » Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:29 pm

The Butcher wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:10 pm
All the people that think the O-line is the problem; honest question have you watched the game film?
I haven't sat down and watched the O-line play extremely close, but this whole O-line narrative being the problem is suspect to me.
With an extremely predictable game plan it is pretty easy for a defense to call in plays that will beat your protections. When the defense is continually stacking the box and you run right into it, your O-line's success rate is going to be pretty low. We seldom audibled out of play calls as we all were looking at 7 or 8 rushes to 5 or 6 blockers. Sorry guys; the O-line isn't going to beat that look 75% of the time. UM killed us with run blitzes, so what did we do? We ran it of course. Again; unless someone has watched the breakdown of the game film, I would maybe take a step back on pinning the offensive problems on the O-line.
Who is saying the O-Line is solely to blame?

I have watched the oline underperform for weeks. It’s multiple problems, not just poor play. If you think the oline is playing well, you need to watch game film.

I love the Bobcats and the Miami Hurricanes an unhealthy level

rivercat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by rivercat » Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:53 pm

This may piss off a few, but oh well.

Matthew McKay quit. I don't care what the excuse or reason is/was. He quit. He quit 2 days prior to the first playoff game. I don't see other players quitting because the offense isn't perfect. It's been rumored he wouldn't start this week. Does he fulfill the role of backup? No, he quit and entered the transfer portal to go play for a different team, again!

I view this as a positive going forward. I don't wish him ill will but I'm not going to point a finger at anyone but him for him leaving. And I'm not going to drag the rest of the team through the dirt because the offense hasn't been great (9-2 folks). They stayed to play with their teammates and fulfill whatever role they need to to help the team win. Because that's what teammates do!

Go Bobcats

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

utucats
Member # Retired

Post by utucats » Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:11 pm

rivercat wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:53 pm

Matthew McKay quit. I don't care what the excuse or reason is/was. He quit. He quit 2 days prior to the first playoff game. I don't see other players quitting because the offense isn't perfect. It's been rumored he wouldn't start this week. Does he fulfill the role of backup? No, he quit and entered the transfer portal to go play for a different team, again!

I view this as a positive going forward. I don't wish him ill will but I'm not going to point a finger at anyone but him for him leaving. And I'm not going to drag the rest of the team through the dirt because the offense hasn't been great (9-2 folks). They stayed to play with their teammates and fulfill whatever role they need to to help the team win. Because that's what teammates do!

Go Bobcats
If this pisses people off then they are the problem. He quit, that’s a fact. Reasons don’t matter. Any issues that may exist, the rest of the team is going to see through to the end. He’s the only one who chose to exit the arena. Unfortunate decision, IMO.

GoCats18

Post by GoCats18 » Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:39 pm

If what I am hearing is true, he was asked to leave or face being expelled.

Punters are people too!!

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:42 pm

GoCats18 wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:39 pm
If what I am hearing is true, he was asked to leave or face being expelled.
umm. what? Expelled from the team or from school?

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:46 pm

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

bobcatbob
Member # Retired

Post by bobcatbob » Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:15 pm

Tommy Mellott's video reminds me of Travis Lulay! Hopefully that translates in a good game tomorrow!

nanacat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by nanacat » Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:27 pm

rivercat wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:53 pm

Go Bobcats
Very good post! Our current culture breeds entitlement, and lack of commitment. If you're not happy, quit and find your happiness. While looking for better opportunity isn't a bad thing, having "stick", loyalty, sets you up so much better. College aged kids need to hear that. Rovig totally has my respect as he's stuck it out, been a team player, waited for his opportunity and I, for one, hope he gets a chance to shine tomorrow.