Tennessee Martin at MSU

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Re: Tennessee Martin at MSU

Post by cats2506 » Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:37 pm

BobbyPetrinoBearsFan wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:00 am
Best of luck to y'all this weekend. UTM had to be +5 in turnover margin to win the game by a single point. I don't know where your student section sits/stands in relation to the visiting bench, but be prepared for the UTM team to mock and antagonize your fans throughout the game. The worst offenders were the long snapper, kicker, and punter if you can believe it. They just would not shut up. Then after the game and I assume their media availability period and the time when the coach addresses the team, numerous UTM players and coaches came back to the field to stand on our logo and take pictures. Not very sporting behavior.

If I try and let go of the emotion and look from a neutral perspective, this Montana State team is several TD's better regardless of who plays QB. If you avoid turnovers and don't get thrown off of your game by the Skyhawks antics it should be a comfortable win for the Bobcats. We'll be cheering you on from Springfield.
I am just wondering if they have a coach with tight pants that will throw souvenir clipboards into the crowd, I'd like to get one of those. 8)

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

Common Cat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Common Cat » Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:37 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:21 pm
Common Cat wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:10 pm
I think Dresser Winn will present bigger problems than Keon Howard. I think a good passer is what could hurt the cats- especially when we play cover 2.
Hmm what about Eastern? 214 yards through the air, with a better QB and a better WR corps.

Winn was 23-43 (53%) and had several big time catches by WRs bail him out on poorly thrown balls. MO State is also 89th in the country in pass D, we're 7th. We're also 10th in total sacks. If Winn is playing the D line will get to him often.
You’re not wrong, but a qb that can zip the ball in the seams is what’s been challenging for us.

@rfoley77 @rrcatcast Golden Coolie

MSU Toddler
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by MSU Toddler » Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:40 pm

Common Cat wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:37 pm
BleedingBLue wrote:
Common Cat wrote:
I think Dresser Winn will present bigger problems than Keon Howard. I think a good passer is what could hurt the cats- especially when we play cover 2.
Hmm what about Eastern? 214 yards through the air, with a better QB and a better WR corps.

Winn was 23-43 (53%) and had several big time catches by WRs bail him out on poorly thrown balls. MO State is also 89th in the country in pass D, we're 7th. We're also 10th in total sacks. If Winn is playing the D line will get to him often.
You’re not wrong, but a qb that can zip the ball in the seams is what’s been challenging for us.
Best passing game against the Cats is 266 by Alexander (PSU). Do you think Dresser is better than Alexander or like anyone else the Cats have faced?

Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Joe Bobcat

Post by Joe Bobcat » Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:13 pm

MSU Toddler wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:40 pm
Common Cat wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
Common Cat wrote:

Best passing game against the Cats is 266 by Alexander (PSU). Do you think Dresser is better than Alexander or like anyone else the Cats have faced?
We have definitely seen better QBs and receiver corps but these guys look good enough that if we let them come in and get in sync with each other they could prove to be problematic for us. Punch them in the mouth early and knock them off balance and we'll have our way with them.

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

Common Cat

Post by Common Cat » Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:41 pm

Joe Bobcat wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:13 pm
MSU Toddler wrote:
Common Cat wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
Common Cat wrote:

We have definitely seen better QBs and receiver corps but these guys look good enough that if we let them come in and get in sync with each other they could prove to be problematic for us. Punch them in the mouth early and knock them off balance and we'll have our way with them.
I think Dresser and Donnell Williams had a special connection that game. We all know dangerous momentum and confidence can be. Put that together with the fact they are playing with house money, well then that's a concern. However, I do think we will disrupt their passing game by pressuring Dresser. Make him uncomfortable early and often, get them out of rhythm.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:47 pm

Common Cat wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:41 pm
Joe Bobcat wrote:
MSU Toddler wrote:
Common Cat wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
Common Cat wrote:

I think Dresser and Donnell Williams had a special connection that game. We all know dangerous momentum and confidence can be. Put that together with the fact they are playing with house money, well then that's a concern. However, I do think we will disrupt their passing game by pressuring Dresser. Make him uncomfortable early and often, get them out of rhythm.
He must be good if we're calling him by his first name! :lol:

Common Cat

Post by Common Cat » Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:51 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:47 pm
Common Cat wrote:
Joe Bobcat wrote:
MSU Toddler wrote:
Common Cat wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
Common Cat wrote:

Oh man - I didn’t even thin about it. Maybe you don’t name your kid Dresser haha!

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:58 pm

Common Cat wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:51 pm
BleedingBLue wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:47 pm
Common Cat wrote:
Joe Bobcat wrote:
MSU Toddler wrote:
Common Cat wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
Common Cat wrote:

Oh man - I didn’t even thin about it. Maybe you don’t name your kid Dresser haha!
Yeah when I first saw that last weekend I was thinking who does that?

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:43 pm

https://theanalyst.com/2021/12/fcs-seco ... ana-state/

FCS
FCS Second-Round Playoff Preview: UIW at Sam Houston and UT Martin at Montana State

DEC 1, 2021
CRAIG HALEY
Twitter
WhatsApp
Email
With late-game heroics, overtime, road upsets and three first-time winners, the FCS playoffs got off to a fast start with the first round last Saturday.

This week, the action will be even sweeter with the round of 16 continuing on the Road to Frisco (Texas).

Following are capsule previews of two of the eight second-round games, with the winners set to meet in the quarterfinals:

UIW (10-2) at No. 1 seed Sam Houston (10-0)

Kickoff – 3 p.m. ET Saturday at Bowers Stadium in Huntsville, Texas (ESPN+)

Series – Sam Houston leads 8-1

Coaches – UIW: Eric Morris (24-17, four seasons); Sam Houston: K.C. Keeler (79-22, eight seasons; 253-95-1 overall)

3 Players to Watch – UIW: QB Cameron Ward (345 of 529, 4,167 yards, 42 TDs, 10 INTs), WR Taylor Grimes (78 receptions, 1,041 yards, 14 TDs), LB Kelechi Anyalebechi (119 tackles, 4 forced fumbles, 3 takeaways); Sam Houston: QB Eric Schmid (167 of 296, 2,254 yards, 26 TDs, 7 INTS; 291 rushing yards, 3 TDs), RB Ramon Jefferson (140 carries, 972 yards, 11 TDs), LB Markel Perry (38 tackles, 15 TFL, 5 sacks)

3 Key Factors – 1. Sam Houston, the reigning FCS champion, owns the longest active win streak in Division I at 21 games and is 16-0 all-time in FCS home playoff games. UIW is 0-5 all-time at Bowers Stadium. 2. UIW is ready to go end zone-to-end zone with the Bearkats. Ward is tied for No. 1 in the FCS in TD passes (42), while Grimes (15) and RB Kevin Brown (14) have combined for 29 TDs, the most for a pair of FCS teammates. 3. Special teams could play a pivotal role. In their careers, Sam Houston’s Jequez Ezzard is averaging 12.6 yards on punt returns and UIW’s Robert Ferrel 12.3 per return. SHSU’s Matt McRobert is averaging 46.1 yards per punt this season, while UIW is second in the FCS in net punting average, featuring Keven Nguyen and his 45.6-yard average.

Up Next – The winner will play UT Martin (10-2) or No. 8 seed Montana State (9-2) in a national quarterfinal on Dec. 10 or 11.

Prediction – Sam Houston 38, UIW 28

UT Martin (10-2) at No. 8 seed Montana State (9-2)

Kickoff – 4 p.m. ET Saturday at Bobcat Stadium in Bozeman, Montana (ESPN+)

Series – First meeting

Coaches – UT Martin: Jason Simpson (100-79, 16 seasons); Montana State: Brent Vigen (9-2, one season)

3 Players to Watch – UT Martin: RB Peyton Logan (143 carries, 1,050 yards, 4 TDs; 27 receptions, 253 yards, 3 TDs), RB Zak Wallace (142 carries, 788 yards, 15 TDs), LB John Ford (76 tackles, 5 TFL, 4 INTs, 4 pass breakups); Montana State: QB Matthew McKay (153 of 246, 2,021 yards, 16 TDs, 3 INTs; 316 yards, 2 TDs), RB Isaiah Ifanse (210 carries, 1,258 yards, 8 TDs; 11 receptions, 100 yards, 1 TD). LB Troy Andersen (111 tackles, 9.5 TFL, 2 INTs, 7 pass breakups)

3 Key Factors – 1. Following UT Martin QB Keon Howard, the Ohio Valley Conference’s offensive player of the year, missing the first-round win at Missouri State with an injury, the school has listed Dresser Winn atop the depth chart this week. Winn passed for 272 yards and two TDs in the Skyhawks’ first FCS playoff win while they had their season low in rushing (89 yards; second low 165). 2. Montana State ranks No. 9 in the FCS in rushing yards per game (218.5), just one spot behind UTM. The Bobcats have had their lowest rushing totals in their two losses. 3. The Bobcats rank third nationally in scoring defense (13.2 ppg), allowing a TD on only 11 of their opponents’ 25 trips into the red zone. Led by DE Daniel Hardy, they have four players with at least eight tackles for loss.

Up Next – The winner will play UIW (10-2) or No. 1 seed Sam Houston (10-0) in a national quarterfinal on Dec. 10 or 11.

Prediction – Montana State 34, UT Martin 21

Team10
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Team10 » Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:14 pm

Joe Bobcat wrote:
MSU Toddler wrote:
Common Cat wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
Common Cat wrote:

Not sure what it’s worth but looking at the forecast for Saturday and it looks like it’s gonna be a windy one. A couple of games have been a bit breezy but this has steady winds estimated between 20-30mph. All passing might look a bit different and so might the game plan.

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:46 pm

Team10 wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:14 pm
Joe Bobcat wrote:
MSU Toddler wrote:
Common Cat wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
Common Cat wrote:

Not sure what it’s worth but looking at the forecast for Saturday and it looks like it’s gonna be a windy one. A couple of games have been a bit breezy but this has steady winds estimated between 20-30mph. All passing might look a bit different and so might the game plan.
Definitely makes it hard on the tailgating !

The MICKSTER
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by The MICKSTER » Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:07 am

kwcat wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:46 pm
Team10 wrote:
Joe Bobcat wrote:
MSU Toddler wrote:
Common Cat wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
Common Cat wrote:

Definitely makes it hard on the tailgating !
Just checked a couple of forecasts for SA............a high ~54 and winds ~20 gusting to 40....ground-n-pound. GO CATS!!!

Lord Vigo
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Lord Vigo » Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:05 am

Team10 wrote:
Joe Bobcat wrote:
MSU Toddler wrote:
Common Cat wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
Common Cat wrote:

Perhaps they might want to play a QB who relies more on his legs than his arm?

:-^

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:33 pm

Team10 wrote:
Joe Bobcat wrote:
MSU Toddler wrote:
Common Cat wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
Common Cat wrote:

Wind actually seems to be good for McKay and the passing game. It was windy as heck in Cheney when McKay threw for over 250 yards, which I think was his best passing game this season... at least in conference games.

Lonepine
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Lonepine » Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:51 pm

The weather may cooperate for Tn Martin but the crowd won't . They have a bunch of FBS recruits, but so do we. I don't know what the status of TJ Sessions is, but it probably won't make a difference. It seems that if we play smart football they will hopefully play dumb. I agree that our secondary may be better than theirs.
Its really hard to scout them with their QB situation and the film I have seen on them is more limited than with Missouri State. They have the same problem scouting our QB's. McKay will probably start.