Several advantages for the CATS on December 4th

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Several advantages for the CATS on December 4th

Post by catatac » Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:55 pm

Regardless of if we end up with MSU or TM-Martin. Thanks to a successful season, the body of work convinced the committee that we deserved a seed, and getting that seed is HUGE! Here are some things I've been thinking about that favor the Cats, and mainly I'm kind of looking at some of the peripheral things in addition to the obvious X's and O's, of which I happen to believe that the Cats are going to come out on top in all three phases of the game. But, think about these advantages.

Bye week. Obviously this is huge for getting players healthy and rested... the team we play won't have that luxury.

Home field. No brainer here... the Bobcat Faithful will be loud and proud, really hard for teams to beat us in our house.

Playoff experience. We have it, they don't. It matters.

They can only bring 64 players. We'll have close to double that available. Again, this matters.

Weather? We'll see. long term forecast does show a system moving in around game time but who knows what it will do and how it will impact the game if at all.

Cats coming off a disappointing loss to our rivals. Some people look at this as a negative, somehow thinking this team is going to fold and close up shop for the year. I strongly disagree - I think they will be motivated and fired up, ready to get the sting of a loss behind them.

I like our chances. (P.S. This isn't a thread to rip on our offense, play calling, coaches, etc. Plenty of that going on in other threads. LOL)

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Re: Several advantages for the CATS on December 4th

Post by wbtfg » Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:03 pm

catatac wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:55 pm
Regardless of if we end up with MSU or TM-Martin. Thanks to a successful season, the body of work convinced the committee that we deserved a seed, and getting that seed is HUGE! Here are some things I've been thinking about that favor the Cats, and mainly I'm kind of looking at some of the peripheral things in addition to the obvious X's and O's, of which I happen to believe that the Cats are going to come out on top in all three phases of the game. But, think about these advantages.

Bye week. Obviously this is huge for getting players healthy and rested... the team we play won't have that luxury.

Home field. No brainer here... the Bobcat Faithful will be loud and proud, really hard for teams to beat us in our house.

They can only bring 64 players. We'll have close to double that available. Again, this matters.

Weather? We'll see. long term forecast does show a system moving in around game time but who knows what it will do and how it will impact the game if at all.

Cats coming off a disappointing loss to our rivals. Some people look at this as a negative, somehow thinking this team is going to fold and close up shop for the year. I strongly disagree - I think they will be motivated and fired up, ready to get the sting of a loss behind them.

I like our chances. (P.S. This isn't a thread to rip on our offense, play calling, coaches, etc. Plenty of that going on in other threads. LOL)
Don’t both playoff rosters have to be equal size?

Also, I think we have to provide sideline heaters. But I think we get the Binford 5000 models and they get a couple space heaters from wal mart.

onceacat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by onceacat » Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:06 pm

catatac wrote:

I'm one of those people "ripping" on the offense. But I've also been saying all season that this is the most talented, best coached team that the Cats have fielded in the last 30 years.

I'm guessing that the entire team comes out swinging with a big chip on its shoulder. Id be pretty shocked to see a loss. I think you see backup RBs (either Mellot or Elliot) with over 100 yards.

Weather won't be a factor. Montana fans always think it will be. But it never is. Even if it was 10 degrees with 30 mph winds. Remember the weather when Sammy & SDSU waltzed into Bobcat Stadium & curb stomped us? Or when Coastal Carolina dismantled the Griz in fridgid weather? Never has been an issue, and it never will be.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:18 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:03 pm
catatac wrote:

Also, I think we have to provide sideline heaters. But I think we get the Binford 5000 models and they get a couple space heaters from wal mart.
Hmm, not sure about that. I know the NCAA limits the travel roster size during the regular season, but I honestly don't know if that changes for playoffs?? anybody know the answer?

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:43 pm

Yeah, I don’t go for the weather being a factor either. Both teams have to play in the whatever weather conditions are occurring and it’s not like it’s been cold this year, so far.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:11 pm

Thanks for a fresh post. As one of those that been ripping on Housewright and Vigen in particular for offensive calls I still have a bright outlook for this game. I remember my dad saying to me in high school “I’m sick and tired of hearing everybody talk about your potential son! When are you going to live up to it!”
As a second season starts we need to live up to our potential.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:36 pm

91catAlum wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:18 pm
Hmm, not sure about that. I know the NCAA limits the travel roster size during the regular season, but I honestly don't know if that changes for playoffs?? anybody know the answer?
https://ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com/champi ... Manual.pdf
SQUAD SIZE
Participating teams are limited to a maximum number of 64 student-athletes in uniform. Replacements are
permitted up to the starting time of the game; after the game begins, no replacements shall be permitted
for any reason. An institution that is advised it is in violation of this regulation and does not conform
promptly to it automatically shall forfeit the competition. There shall be no inordinate delay of the
competition to allow the institution to conform to the rule. A roster form, to be provided by the NCAA
national office, shall list the 64 student-athletes and shall be submitted to the NCAA site representative
during the administrative meeting.
Championship game bumps up to 70.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:41 pm

Hawks86 wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:36 pm
91catAlum wrote:
SQUAD SIZE
Participating teams are limited to a maximum number of 64 student-athletes in uniform. Replacements are
permitted up to the starting time of the game; after the game begins, no replacements shall be permitted
for any reason. An institution that is advised it is in violation of this regulation and does not conform
promptly to it automatically shall forfeit the competition. There shall be no inordinate delay of the
competition to allow the institution to conform to the rule. A roster form, to be provided by the NCAA
national office, shall list the 64 student-athletes and shall be submitted to the NCAA site representative
Thanks Hawks!

BStinsMSU
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by BStinsMSU » Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:22 pm

wbtfg wrote:
catatac wrote:

MSU’s heater on the sideline at EWU died half way through the 3rd quarter. Don’t think for a second any of us saw that as coincidence 🤔 (think we can steal that one for the opposing sideline?)

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Living on the KittieKop Legacy...

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:00 pm

91catAlum wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:41 pm
Hawks86 wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
SQUAD SIZE
Thanks Hawks!
Yes, thank you... and I now feel stupid for listing that as an advantage, not sure why I didn't know that - thought they'd still let the home team dress out as many as they wanted. Will be interesting to see who gets left out of the players that have been playing.

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:06 pm

BStinsMSU wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:22 pm
wbtfg wrote:
catatac wrote:

MSU’s heater on the sideline at EWU died half way through the 3rd quarter. Don’t think for a second any of us saw that as coincidence 🤔 (think we can steal that one for the opposing sideline?)
And acted like it ran out of fuel. And didn’t see MSU equipment guy do the reset either. He struggled for quite a while

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:27 pm

catatac wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:00 pm
91catAlum wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:41 pm
Hawks86 wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
SQUAD SIZE
Thanks Hawks!
Yes, thank you... and I now feel stupid for listing that as an advantage, not sure why I didn't know that - thought they'd still let the home team dress out as many as they wanted. Will be interesting to see who gets left out of the players that have been playing.
Because the rest of the team will be on the sidelines in some form of bobcat gear and cheering.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

GoCats18

Post by GoCats18 » Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:54 pm

I would rather host and then go take on Sam Houston, then to have to play EWU at home and if you win that you most likely go to JMU. After that NDSU. If SFA wins round 1, they only lost to SHS by one point in the regular season. Who knows what happens. Remember Sac losing two years ago at home that gave us another home game. Anything is possible. This team has the talent and this team will be ready.

Punters are people too!!

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:11 pm

? :-k

Trailbiker92
New Recruit

Post by Trailbiker92 » Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:37 pm

I have not read this whole thread. But if I remember correctly we had a quarterback in 2019 that helped us beat the grizz and two playoff games. As a junior he took his team to the state championship as a senior then won it as a senior. So we needed a new quarterback? My second question is about offensive play calling. It seems to be unimaginative, low risk, low rewards. Am I wrong?

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:30 pm

I'd say Furman thought the weather was a factor.

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

coochorama42
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by coochorama42 » Sat Nov 27, 2021 12:21 am

In a close game, small things like weather can be a significant advantage. I point to the Furman game as well.

Elevation is a small advantage here as well. Not having to travel is, again, an advantage.

MSU also gets extra film study.

SACCAT
Member # Retired

Post by SACCAT » Sat Nov 27, 2021 7:02 am

onceacat wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:06 pm
catatac wrote:

I'm one of those people "ripping" on the offense. But I've also been saying all season that this is the most talented, best coached team that the Cats have fielded in the last 30 years.

I'm guessing that the entire team comes out swinging with a big chip on its shoulder. Id be pretty shocked to see a loss. I think you see backup RBs (either Mellot or Elliot) with over 100 yards.

Weather won't be a factor. Montana fans always think it will be. But it never is. Even if it was 10 degrees with 30 mph winds. Remember the weather when Sammy & SDSU waltzed into Bobcat Stadium & curb stomped us? Or when Coastal Carolina dismantled the Griz in fridgid weather? Never has been an issue, and it never will be.
We lost that game 47-40...

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Sat Nov 27, 2021 7:40 am

SACCAT wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 7:02 am
onceacat wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:06 pm
catatac wrote:

We lost that game 47-40...
In 2012 Sammy beat us 34-16 I believe. You are correct on the south Dakota State score in 2014. It was a track meet in a blizzard, not a curb stomping.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:22 am

coochorama42 wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 12:21 am
In a close game, small things like weather can be a significant advantage. I point to the Furman game as well.

Elevation is a small advantage here as well. Not having to travel is, again, an advantage.

MSU also gets extra film study.
Yep. Whoever said weather is never a factor and never will be, is mistaken! I will definitely admit people make waaaaay too much about the weather being an impact, gives people something to talk about. It's rarely the deciding factor in a game but it does come into play. I think it used to be way more of an issue with Southern teams coming to cold climates and playing in sub zero temps and snow - but even those teams have learned how to deal much better with the cold and snow.