Housewright speaks!

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

onceacat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: Housewright speaks!

Post by onceacat » Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:32 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:31 pm
iaafan wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:24 pm
Remember that OC we had than no one liked then he took a job at NDSU and won a national title? The track record of people evaluating OCs isn't good on this website.
He wasn't very good when he was here and that's a fact. He didn't have a ton to work with but he didn't try to do anything to tailor the offense to the strengths of the players. Housewright is having the same problem, except he's got some real weapons, and it's like he has amnesia when it comes to what works well.
If by “not a ton” you mean guys like JP Flynn, Chad Newell, Mitch Herbert, Kevin Kassis, Gunnar Brekke, Nick LaSane, John Weidenaar, the best OLine recruiting class in Bobcat history…

Big gap at QB for sure. But that was a pretty stacked roster, including legit NFL talent.

Reminds me a lot of the talent on this roster tbh.

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:33 pm

onceacat wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:23 pm
iaafan wrote:
Remember that OC we had than no one liked then he took a job at NDSU and won a national title? The track record of people evaluating OCs isn't good on this website.
I remember how he (or the head coach) kept sending Bruggeman in until the entire stadium booed the kid.

I never really forgave either Choate or Messingham for that.

Yeah, if you are stacked with 1st round NFL talent at QB & first day talent at WR & OL even the average BN poster is going to put up good numbers…
Felt horrible for Bruggeman that day.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:38 pm

onceacat wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:32 pm
BleedingBLue wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:31 pm
iaafan wrote:
He wasn't very good when he was here and that's a fact. He didn't have a ton to work with but he didn't try to do anything to tailor the offense to the strengths of the players. Housewright is having the same problem, except he's got some real weapons, and it's like he has amnesia when it comes to what works well.
If by “not a ton” you mean guys like JP Flynn, Chad Newell, Mitch Herbert, Kevin Kassis, Gunnar Brekke, Nick LaSane, John Weidenaar, the best OLine recruiting class in Bobcat history…

Big gap at QB for sure. But that was a pretty stacked roster, including legit NFL talent.

Reminds me a lot of the talent on this roster tbh.
Yeah I was more meaning the QB position than anything. Kassis wasn't the Kassis we know yet though so Herbert was the main receiving option.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:48 pm

iaafan wrote:
Remember when Belichick was an awful coach who didn’t know football and got fired by the Browns? And people thought he sucked and wanted him fired. Man they were idiots. Look at what he did with the Patriots! Apples to apples for sure!

For myself, I’m not evaluating anything. I see what the offense has looked like for 6 weeks. I saw a complete lack of adjustments. I trust what I hear about the OC from people who I assume know more than myself. And I’m skeptical. I still haven’t heard one good reason why this is a wild take on the offense?

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:09 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:48 pm
iaafan wrote:
Remember when Belichick was an awful coach who didn’t know football and got fired by the Browns? And people thought he sucked and wanted him fired. Man they were idiots. Look at what he did with the Patriots! Apples to apples for sure!

For myself, I’m not evaluating anything. I see what the offense has looked like for 6 weeks. I saw a complete lack of adjustments. I trust what I hear about the OC from people who I assume know more than myself. And I’m skeptical. I still haven’t heard one good reason why this is a wild take on the offense?
It’s not a wild take. It’s spot on. I don’t think any of us outside the offensive coaches know for sure. But the game plan against WY was questionable at best. Then the staff doubled down on it…And “run Ifanse into an 8-9 man front & let him singlehandedly break tackles & pick up yards after contact” has been the only strategy we’ve seen all year. It’s adequate against bad teams…and even sometimes against decent ones.

But we’ve been waiting since Laramie to see it adjust, and it hasn’t.

No idea why. But reasonable fans can be skeptical.

msuhunter
Member # Retired

Post by msuhunter » Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:01 pm

Msu
Last edited by msuhunter on Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Prodigal Cat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Prodigal Cat » Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:23 pm

msuhunter wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:01 pm
MSU won’t get past the first round with this tool calling the shots. The apparel thing is not a big deal but also a big deal at the same time. As stated before, it all points to a lack of maturity and a lack of attention to detail. Or both. And that’s a major issue. You’re a professional. Act like it. Once you pay your dues and have legit credentials, then you can dress like bill bellichek.
The time to delete this is now. It’s fine to question the young man’s ability to run an offense but calling him a tool takes it well past the line.

Brewer/Owner Copper Furrow Brewing

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:39 pm

Prodigal Cat wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:23 pm
msuhunter wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:01 pm
MSU won’t get past the first round with this tool calling the shots. The apparel thing is not a big deal but also a big deal at the same time. As stated before, it all points to a lack of maturity and a lack of attention to detail. Or both. And that’s a major issue. You’re a professional. Act like it. Once you pay your dues and have legit credentials, then you can dress like bill bellichek.
The time to delete this is now. It’s fine to question the young man’s ability to run an offense but calling him a tool takes it well past the line.
Agreed. No need for names. Of course, this is a world where people chant F*** The president in church.

msuhunter
Member # Retired

Post by msuhunter » Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:40 pm

Alright snowflakes.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:30 am

msuhunter wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:40 pm
Alright snowflakes.
Who? People unhappy with the direction of the offense?

People who have heard there’s issues between the QB and OC?

People who heard we didn’t use a silent count at UM because “they ain’t Michigan”?

People who have heard our offense was saying out loud last Wednesday they knew we were losing to the griz once they heard the “game plan”?

Listen. I consider myself a pretty rational guy. I don’t go off the rails and call for firings and such. Wouldn’t matter if I did. But this offense has been regressing and there is too much talk for me to ignore. This doesn’t mean I’m a snowflake, done with the team or even done with the OC. It just means I have my doubts and I’m frustrated wasting an elite D and an offense that I think had the pieces to at least be decent.

Next Saturday evening is when I’ll form my final opinion. But there is just too much talk going around for me to have 100% confidence in the leadership of this offense.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:02 am

ilovethecats wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:30 am
msuhunter wrote:
Alright snowflakes.

People who heard we didn’t use a silent count at UM because “they ain’t Michigan”?

People who have heard our offense was saying out loud last Wednesday they knew we were losing to the griz once they heard the “game plan”?

Listen. I consider myself a pretty rational guy. I don’t go off the rails and call for firings and such. Wouldn’t matter if I did. But this offense has been regressing and there is too much talk for me to ignore. This doesn’t mean I’m a snowflake, done with the team or even done with the OC. It just means I have my doubts and I’m frustrated wasting an elite D and an offense that I think had the pieces to at least be decent.

Next Saturday evening is when I’ll form my final opinion. But there is just too much talk going around for me to have 100% confidence in the leadership of this offense.
Pretty sure that he’s talking about people that are offended by him bashing Housewright. I think he agrees with you.

If what you’re saying is true, then Housewright got a big time schooling at the Cat-Griz game and he was obviously ill-prepared for the game. I’ve heard he’s a very good coach, so I’m not concerned about his ability to make some positive changes.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:26 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:02 am
ilovethecats wrote:
msuhunter wrote:
Alright snowflakes.

Pretty sure that he’s talking about people that are offended by him bashing Housewright. I think he agrees with you.

If what you’re saying is true, then Housewright got a big time schooling at the Cat-Griz game and he was obviously ill-prepared for the game. I’ve heard he’s a very good coach, so I’m not concerned about his ability to make some positive changes.
How can you not be concerned? I don’t think we’ve seen hardly any changes. I understand you can’t exactly change up a whole playbook in a few weeks, but goodness, do something to make life easier on your players.

griz5700
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by griz5700 » Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:35 am

For real? That’s your Offensive Coordinator?

He looked and sounded like a guy planted at the R bar on Sunday morning drinking bloody Mary’s struggling to piece together the previous day while rambling to the barback about the lack of confident ass kickers on offense and that you don’t see many bartenders that are at the highest level of some standpoint that aren’t confident in their abilities or probably some that are over confident but that’s ok.

☝️ Bartender, nother one.
Last edited by griz5700 on Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

PRIDE - TRADITION - GRIZ
http://goo.gl/A6rsSA

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:42 am

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:26 am
TomCat88 wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
msuhunter wrote:
Alright snowflakes.

How can you not be concerned? I don’t think we’ve seen hardly any changes. I understand you can’t exactly change up a whole playbook in a few weeks, but goodness, do something to make life easier on your players.
Because this isn’t anything worthy of being concerned about. I’ve seen teams, people, machines have bad days and either get back on track or fixed right away. Sometimes they’re not fixable. I don’t have any control over it, so I don’t get too concerned about it.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

bobcatfan123
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by bobcatfan123 » Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:48 am

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
msuhunter wrote:
Alright snowflakes.

Yes, Red Flags all over the place with this interview.

He is a long ways off from being ready for the offensive coordinator position in terms of scheme, preparation, leadership, and maturity. Ultimately, Vigen is the one signing off on this product.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:52 am

bobcatfan123 wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:48 am
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
msuhunter wrote:
Alright snowflakes.

He is a long ways off from being ready for the offensive coordinator position in terms of scheme, preparation, leadership, and maturity. Ultimately, Vigen is the one signing off on this product.
I’m still not convinced that I should be concerned.

toM StUber

bobcatfan123
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by bobcatfan123 » Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:05 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:52 am
bobcatfan123 wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
msuhunter wrote:
Alright snowflakes.

Hmmm. . . this is how I see it.

Choate was brought in because our defense was a mess. What happened? The difference in coaching was apparent and we became better right away!
We didn't have the players on defense we do now. . . but we competed well.

Vigen was brought in because our offense needed to be more productive to compete nationally. However, we are actually taking a step back in terms of creativity, scheme, and production. How would you describe our identity on offense? What is our strengths? I honestly don't know except we have a really good running back that we've run into the ground. This is more like first and second year Choate offensive strategies that were not good.

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Post by LTown Cat » Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:05 am

griz5700 wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:35 am
For real? That’s your Offensive Coordinator?

He looked and sounded like a guy planted at the R bar on Sunday morning drinking bloody Mary’s struggling to piece together the previous day while rambling to the barback about the lack of confident ass kickers on offense and that you don’t see many bartenders that are at the highest level of some standpoint that aren’t confident in their abilities or probably some that are over confident but that’s ok.

☝️ Bartender, nother one.
You are spot on!

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:24 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:42 am
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
msuhunter wrote:
Alright snowflakes.

Because this isn’t anything worthy of being concerned about. I’ve seen teams, people, machines have bad days and either get back on track or fixed right away. Sometimes they’re not fixable. I don’t have any control over it, so I don’t get too concerned about it.
You're not wrong. I guess it just comes down to what the issues are, and how long they've been going on. You seem to be of the mindset that it was just one lousy game against a really good griz defense. And I'm praying you're correct.

Those of us that are saying we're concerned feel this has been more of an on-going issue masked by a weak schedule to start the season. Personally I was concerned at Weber but chalked it up to a short week against a good defense. But then was concerned against ISU but was happy how they finished. Then more concerned against Idaho but again, a win is a win I suppose.

Combine all that with some of the things I heard the week of the Brawl and then seeing that performance, I'm probably the most concerned as I have been all season in regards to our offense. I think if we're actually going to go anywhere in the playoffs something needs to change drastically on offense, or our defense will have to start scoring points.

Obviously the teams we're about to face are only getting better.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:24 am

bobcatfan123 wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:05 am
TomCat88 wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:52 am
bobcatfan123 wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
msuhunter wrote:
Alright snowflakes.

Hmmm. . . this is how I see it.

Choate was brought in because our defense was a mess. What happened? The difference in coaching was apparent and we became better right away!
We didn't have the players on defense we do now. . . but we competed well.

Vigen was brought in because our offense needed to be more productive to compete nationally. However, we are actually taking a step back in terms of creativity, scheme, and production. How would you describe our identity on offense? What is our strengths? I honestly don't know except we have a really good running back that we've run into the ground. This is more like first and second year Choate offensive strategies that were not good.
There’s nothing I have any power to do about it. So I’m not concerned. Could be any of a lot of reasons for why MSU lost to UM. Too many for me to try to figure out which one.

toM StUber