Housewright speaks!

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Housewright speaks!

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:18 pm

Stumbled on this just now on youtube. Housewright speaks about the griz game-though he doesn't say anything. He channels his best Cliff Hysell, "Well Dean, we got our asses kicked." Remember those great postgame interviews? :lol:

imacat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Re: Housewright speaks!

Post by imacat » Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:30 pm

I actually liked this interview. He does not get into specifics, but he is taking ownership. He certainly did not sugarcoat the offensive performance on Saturday.

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:40 pm

After watching the Housewright’s interview watch the second one with Freddy Banks on the Catgriz loss at the 230 mark. Banks gets it Housewright doesn’t

ND0479
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by ND0479 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:47 pm

I don’t know what I wanted him to say…I guess I’m just not a fan and I really would like to be. Comes off as a kid in trouble and just saying what he has to say to get his parents to shut up and stop yelling at him.

I’d also prefer to see him in logo’d team apparel or at least UA gear. Yes, I realize that’s extreme nitpicking, but let’s show some pride and solidarity in who we are.

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:55 pm

Well, that’s a sort of strange interview. Several times he paints the picture that his players were just too soft to play in that environment, and then backpedals each time and assures the interviewer that he has a great group of guys. And a lot of words over and over, without saying much. Yes, coach-speak is a part of the game, but he didn’t really come across as a very articulate communicator. Thanks for posting!

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:55 pm

ND0479 wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:47 pm
I don’t know what I wanted him to say…I guess I’m just not a fan and I really would like to be. Comes off as a kid in trouble and just saying what he has to say to get his parents to shut up and stop yelling at him.

I’d also prefer to see him in logo’d team apparel or at least UA gear. Yes, I realize that’s extreme nitpicking, but let’s show some pride and solidarity in who we are.
Yep. Guys on the field wear uniforms, the coaches should too. A suit is also acceptable, but to appear in non-logo warm ups reeks of unprofessionalism. Which is what I think we all saw as the problem on the field...a sort of half assed approach to the game and a failure to attend to the little details

Of course, I've always thought that college students paying $25 or $50k/year to attend school should have professors give them the respect of showing up for class in a suit and tie as well.

Obviously, it doesn't REALLY matter...but it sort of matters.
Last edited by onceacat on Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BStinsMSU
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by BStinsMSU » Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:56 pm

I appreciated how he handled getting asked about Mckay… you won’t gain anything as a coach by throwing your QB1 under the bus.
Step 1 he took accountability, let’s see step 2 and take some action! Also just to stir the pot, he didn’t NOT say Tucker wouldn’t play in a week 🤷‍♂️

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Living on the KittieKop Legacy...

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:58 pm

ND0479 wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:47 pm

Good questions by the reporter, hard hitting, but didn’t cross the line of being inappropriate.

I didn’t take a lot away from the responses. “We got our asses kicked” and “we need to fight harder” and “it starts with me” is all coach speak. Nothing really informative in there.

Also really weird to see him wearing a black Nike hoodie. Did they take away his team gear? Was it his day off and didn’t know he had a presser?

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:01 pm

I don't like his shoes.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:04 pm

I placed the videos in the playoffs thread. Rather than making a new heading. But Banks gets it and you can hear him talk about learning from last week and Housewright does not.

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:13 pm

At the three minute mark he says last Saturday’s film needs to be evaluated off-season. I thought this was a new season called playoffs!

[media] [/media]

LoggerCat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by LoggerCat » Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:26 pm

kwcat wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:13 pm
At the three minute mark he says last Saturday’s film needs to be evaluated off-season. I thought this was a new season called playoffs!

[media] [/media]

I don’t think he’ll be evaluating film for the Bobcats during the off season.

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:49 pm

kwcat wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:04 pm
I placed the videos in the playoffs thread. Rather than making a new heading. But Banks gets it and you can hear him talk about learning from last week and Housewright does not.
That’s my takeaway too. Lots of specifics. Housewright said something to the effect of “We just need 11guys to kick ass”.

And then Mad Libs with the coach speak.

I’m honestly not sure he gets what’s happened over the last 4 games. He doesn’t sound like it other than “accountable get better kick ass”.

I did think he handled the QB question well.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:52 pm

I agree he handled the qb question well.

Mad lib coach speak made me laugh… great line.

superbobcat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by superbobcat » Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:10 pm

I’ve tried to support and defend him, but this interview rubbed me a little raw. I agree with the comments on dress. Especially after getting it handed to you, show up dressed as Bobcat, not as the local HS Coach. Our offense appears to have lost confidence for several weeks now. It starts with him and we can’t expect the defense to always provide the spark. Coach Banks comes off as professional, Coach House has a ways to go.

94VegasCat
Golden Bobcat
Location: Physically in northern Montana but my heart and soul are in Bobcat Stadium

Post by 94VegasCat » Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:29 pm

The way I see things in life, there are two kinds of people. There are those that recognize and own their mistakes and then there’s those that slink around and act like nothing is wrong. For my employees, the expectation upon screwing up is letting me know what they did wrong and how they corrected the mistake.

For Housewright to come on camera and flat out say they got their “asses kicked” let’s me know that he’s going to work hard at fixing what went wrong. Maybe there was a bunch of ‘coach speak’ in there but I think there’s some serious ownership as well. He sounds like a beat dog.

As for starting Rovig, unless the team as a whole is asking for Rovig, McKay is the guy. Counsel him through his issues and light a fire under his ass. There’s more than the 11 guys on the field that can man up and own the ass whipping. The OC is a great start. Fix it and move forward. Live your lives looking out the windshield and not the rear view mirror.

GO CATS GO. ESG! GO CATS GO

PHAT CAT

Post by PHAT CAT » Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:25 pm

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:18 pm
Stumbled on this just now on youtube. Housewright speaks about the griz game-though he doesn't say anything. He channels his best Cliff Hysell, "Well Dean, we got our asses kicked." Remember those great postgame interviews? :lol:
Loved Cliff. I worked for three years on MSU coaches show. Hys was the best. Not a chance in hell he would of hired Housewright. This dude is a chump.

Post by 083190 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:44 pm

A wise old coach (Lou Holtz) said, "A coaches first job is to put his players in the best possible position to succeed." In this interview, it seemed like Coach H was like the early opponents of Mike Tyson. They all had a plan until they got hit in the mouth, and then, when they woke up, they didn't have any answers. Housewright still looked like his eyes were glassy after the knockout. No real answers. Just, "We'll keep working..."

asstastic
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by asstastic » Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:53 pm

“keep getting better every year, keep recruiting, watch tape this off-season, you need 11 guys to be tough as nails who want the ball”…….why bring up recruiting and why bring up off-season review. We have 2 weeks and the season starts again. this rubs me wrong. Not impressed with his take on any of it. I don’t even believe him when he says it falls on me. Half of what he says sounds like the team didn’t play hard enough.

“Hindsight is 20/20”……you mean forwardsight is 20/200. “They were exactly who we thought they where”. &$#% that makes me mad. Everybody knew how intense that game was going to play out except the one making decisions. They haven’t beat us for 6 years.

All I can hope is that he is just extremely embarrassed and didn’t know what to say.

Punchin Griz fans in the mouth since 2002 [-o<

#RTD

19-4-0

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:01 am

PHAT CAT wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:25 pm
Loved Cliff. I worked for three years on MSU coaches show. Hys was the best. Not a chance in hell he would of hired Housewright. This dude is a chump.
But Housewright and Cliff have that one thing in common. They went on the air and said we got our ass kicked in those exact words. I distinctly remember Hysell being interviewed by Dean Alexander-I think after getting pummeled by EWU, and Cliff made that declaration on the air. His post game interviews were pretty painful even after a good game but Dean Alexander always got him talking. The similarities probably end there.