Housewright speaks!

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

WalkOn79
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: Housewright speaks!

Post by WalkOn79 » Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:09 pm

griz5700 wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:35 am
For real? That’s your Offensive Coordinator?

He looked and sounded like a guy planted at the R bar on Sunday morning drinking bloody Mary’s struggling to piece together the previous day while rambling to the barback about the lack of confident ass kickers on offense and that you don’t see many bartenders that are at the highest level of some standpoint that aren’t confident in their abilities or probably some that are over confident but that’s ok.

☝️ Bartender, nother one.
So spot on!! Embarrassed with that whole thing. If you saw or heard any positives from that presser, I just don’t know what to tell ya! :(

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

bobcatbob
Member # Retired

Post by bobcatbob » Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:13 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:48 am
WeedKillinCat wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:45 am
Maybe getting our "asses kicked" was a blessing in disguise. We had a lot of faults in our offense and it came to a head last week. It was piss poor planning on the coaches part. They need to get the offense right and ready for next week.
I’m really hoping that’s the case.

Cat/Griz looked like the definition of insanity. Trying the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
Yes, I hope that is the case too. However, after Housewright’s awful press conference I think the chances for us to go deep in the playoffs are very slim. The press conference was a disaster, from is apparel, to his body language and his spoken words. He doesn’t project much confidence. If the problem with McKay is that he has lost his confidence, then this OC isn’t going to turn that around. I am in most situations a very optimistic person. But seeing our offense deteriorate over the last few games and then the press conference it was a downer. It is hard to fathom how Vigen could let this happen with his offensive background. This upcoming playoff game will will tell us a lot about where the program is headed. Hoping for the best!

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:50 pm

WalkOn79 wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:09 pm
griz5700 wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:35 am
For real? That’s your Offensive Coordinator?

He looked and sounded like a guy planted at the R bar on Sunday morning drinking bloody Mary’s struggling to piece together the previous day while rambling to the barback about the lack of confident ass kickers on offense and that you don’t see many bartenders that are at the highest level of some standpoint that aren’t confident in their abilities or probably some that are over confident but that’s ok.

☝️ Bartender, nother one.
So spot on!! Embarrassed with that whole thing. If you saw or heard any positives from that presser, I just don’t know what to tell ya! :(
Most of the Sunday morning crowd at the R Bar display a higher football IQ.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:01 pm

WalkOn79 wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:06 pm
If true what he said about silent counts and Michigan, well that’s just being ignorant :evil:
Ya, I haven't seen that comment in any articles but I may have missed it. Also haven't heard anything at all about somebody on the team telling someone they knew they were going to lose when they heard the game plan. :roll: Nor did I hear anything about the coaches going into an all out panic Sunday and benching McKay and handing the reigns over to our true Freshman 4th string QB for the playoffs.

What I actually DID hear though, Friday night before Cat\Griz from three girls that were good friends with Bobcat Football players, was that Ifanse would not be suiting up for the game. I actually thought this one was true because they sounded believable and didn't seem like they would have any good reason to lie about this.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

imacat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by imacat » Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:53 pm

There is nothing that Housewright could have said or done in the press conference to placate the wolves at his door. The only thing that will do that is offense production on the field.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:01 pm

imacat wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:53 pm
There is nothing that Housewright could have said or done in the press conference to placate the wolves at his door. The only thing that will do that is offense production on the field.
I disagree with this.

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:09 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:01 pm
imacat wrote:
I disagree with this.
And I disagree with this. Lol.

Let’s be honest, if the offense is doing well, for the most part, people won’t care about clothes and bad interviews. Look at Mike Leach. He’s a crazy person (also hilarious), and people look over it because he’s a good enough coach that it doesn’t matter. This is a results based business. The rest is just window dressing.

bobcat92
Member # Retired

Post by bobcat92 » Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:18 pm

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:09 pm
wbtfg wrote:
imacat wrote:
I disagree with this.

Let’s be honest, if the offense is doing well, for the most part, people won’t care about clothes and bad interviews. Look at Mike Leach. He’s a crazy person (also hilarious), and people look over it because he’s a good enough coach that it doesn’t matter. This is a results based business. The rest is just window dressing.
Yep he will be an OC god if we win the first playoff game.

Sometimes it takes adversity to re-evaluate what you are doing. Vigen has lots of experience as an OC I would think and hope that there will be focus on diversifying the offense for the next game.

2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by 083190 » Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:49 pm

Winning is a great deodorant. There may be things about a team that stink, That nasty ol' stink is just a little more tolerable with the high that comes from winning. When winning doesn't come, the smell gets less tolerable. After last weekend, the smell...not so good!

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:02 pm

wbtfg wrote:
imacat wrote:
I disagree with this.
What would you have said during that interview that would have put everyone at ease about how the Cat-Griz game played out?

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:06 pm

catatac wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:02 pm
wbtfg wrote:
imacat wrote:
I disagree with this.
What would you have said during that interview that would have put everyone at ease about how the Cat-Griz game played out?
"I didn't adjust well to what Montana was doing and that's on me. I didn't put our offense in the positions I needed to in order to let succeed and its clear we need some more diversity." End press conference.

ND0479
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by ND0479 » Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:03 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:34 pm
Let’s get this thing to 7 pages!
🤝

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:31 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:06 pm
catatac wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
imacat wrote:
I disagree with this.
"I didn't adjust well to what Montana was doing and that's on me. I didn't put our offense in the positions I needed to in order to let succeed and its clear we need some more diversity." End press conference.
Yes. An understanding of what the problem is. Also, a little less obsession with kicking ass.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:56 pm

Quick YouTube search shows maybe he doesn’t ever wear Cat gear during pressers.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

MTnative
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by MTnative » Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:25 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:56 pm
Quick YouTube search shows maybe he doesn’t ever wear Cat gear during pressers.
That's a huge foul. The brand is important, and if he is unwilling to support said brand outwardly, there's a bigger problem.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:29 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
catatac wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
imacat wrote:
I disagree with this.
I'm not going to listen to it again but I'm almost positive he stated multiple times that the lack of execution on offense, and the questionable play calling, was on him. As for the diversity stuff, I've stated this in a couple other threads but we played our secret weapon on offense for the first time this season, played Mellott at Wide Receiver for the first time ever, tried a fake field goal, and ran some plays on offense that I had not seen this year. Pretty much none of them worked, due to poor execution and playing against the best defense in the FCS. So, for everyone claiming that all we did was run Ifanse up the gut for the first two plays, then chucked the ball up for LM o third and long all game..... go ahead and watch the game again. That's not how it played out.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:22 pm

catatac wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:29 pm
BleedingBLue wrote:
catatac wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
imacat wrote:
I disagree with this.
I'm not going to listen to it again but I'm almost positive he stated multiple times that the lack of execution on offense, and the questionable play calling, was on him. As for the diversity stuff, I've stated this in a couple other threads but we played our secret weapon on offense for the first time this season, played Mellott at Wide Receiver for the first time ever, tried a fake field goal, and ran some plays on offense that I had not seen this year. Pretty much none of them worked, due to poor execution and playing against the best defense in the FCS. So, for everyone claiming that all we did was run Ifanse up the gut for the first two plays, then chucked the ball up for LM o third and long all game..... go ahead and watch the game again. That's not how it played out.
First, we ran the ball almost every 1st down in the 1st half (a lot up the gut). Second, he didn't adjust to the blitz until the 2nd half (late). It wasn't all about thinking we only run up the gut and then threw bombs to McCutcheon. We don't do anything any different than we have all year, and we haven't been diverse.

Tommy isn't a secret weapon at WR when the ball doesn't get in his hands out there and his blocking is, for a lack of a better term... Awful. There were several outside runs that may have been successful had a real WR been in (because our WRs are actually pretty damn good blockers) but instead it was our wildcat QB and he can't block.

Against a heavy blitzing team you have to throw into vacated areas, not the covered areas. Slants and crosses don't need more than a second or 2 to develop, then your QB doesn't have to worry as much about the blitz. I don't care if McKay doesn't throw great balls over the middle, at some point you have to what works at every level against the blitz. Throw where the blitz came from. Housewrong didn't adjust before the game, during the game and I doubt he has after.

Sohedges
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Sohedges » Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:36 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:22 pm
catatac wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
catatac wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
imacat wrote:
I disagree with this.
First, we ran the ball almost every 1st down in the 1st half (a lot up the gut). Second, he didn't adjust to the blitz until the 2nd half (late). It wasn't all about thinking we only run up the gut and then threw bombs to McCutcheon. We don't do anything any different than we have all year, and we haven't been diverse.

Tommy isn't a secret weapon at WR when the ball doesn't get in his hands out there and his blocking is, for a lack of a better term... Awful. There were several outside runs that may have been successful had a real WR been in (because our WRs are actually pretty damn good blockers) but instead it was our wildcat QB and he can't block.

Against a heavy blitzing team you have to throw into vacated areas, not the covered areas. Slants and crosses don't need more than a second or 2 to develop, then your QB doesn't have to worry as much about the blitz. I don't care if McKay doesn't throw great balls over the middle, at some point you have to what works at every level against the blitz. Throw where the blitz came from. Housewrong didn't adjust before the game, during the game and I doubt he has after.
What about the fake field goal. The second guy in on the right side turned to block out rather then first turning inside and blocking and Lewis blew by untouched. The guy who whiffed and the tight end next to him both released and were going to run routes. Hauck was cheating up like he always does and was out of position. Played may have scored if the guy had made the block right in front of him before he released. Bad execution but I liked the call because of their tendencies would have shut up the crowd if it had worked out. Momentum changer. maybe we need a full time special teams coach but I liked the call.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:45 pm

Sohedges wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:36 pm
BleedingBLue wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:22 pm
catatac wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
catatac wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
imacat wrote:
I disagree with this.

What about the fake field goal. The second guy in on the right side turned to block out rather then first turning inside and blocking and Lewis blew by untouched. The guy who whiffed and the tight end next to him both released and were going to run routes. Hauck was cheating up like he always does and was out of position. Played may have scored if the guy had made the block right in front of him before he released. Bad execution but I liked the call because of their tendencies would have shut up the crowd if it had worked out. Momentum changer. maybe we need a full time special teams coach but I liked the call.
If we were a little closer to the EZ I'd have like the call more. Execution was definitely awful on that play and I agree about the ST coordinator. I posted in another thread, or maybe this one, that ST coordinator should be the first order of business in the offseason. 2nd should be an experienced OC, or at the very least an experiemced position coach, prefferably QB.

Joe Bobcat

Post by Joe Bobcat » Sat Nov 27, 2021 12:19 am

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:09 pm
wbtfg wrote:
imacat wrote:
I disagree with this.

It’s just as honest to say that when things aren’t going well and you don’t win is the time that fans are going to point out any and all of the little things (window dressing) that a coach isn’t doing right or well. Kind of if the coach can’t do the little easy simple things right it’s no wonder he can’t do the big important things right. Wearing the right clothes to a press conference is about the simplest easiest lowest bar a coach has to clear.

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!