Housewright speaks!

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Re: Housewright speaks!

Post by TomCat88 » Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:27 am

ilovethecats wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:24 am
TomCat88 wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:42 am
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:26 am
TomCat88 wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:02 am
ilovethecats wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:30 am
msuhunter wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:40 pm
Alright snowflakes.
Who? People unhappy with the direction of the offense?

People who have heard there’s issues between the QB and OC?

People who heard we didn’t use a silent count at UM because “they ain’t Michigan”?

People who have heard our offense was saying out loud last Wednesday they knew we were losing to the griz once they heard the “game plan”?

Listen. I consider myself a pretty rational guy. I don’t go off the rails and call for firings and such. Wouldn’t matter if I did. But this offense has been regressing and there is too much talk for me to ignore. This doesn’t mean I’m a snowflake, done with the team or even done with the OC. It just means I have my doubts and I’m frustrated wasting an elite D and an offense that I think had the pieces to at least be decent.

Next Saturday evening is when I’ll form my final opinion. But there is just too much talk going around for me to have 100% confidence in the leadership of this offense.
Pretty sure that he’s talking about people that are offended by him bashing Housewright. I think he agrees with you.

If what you’re saying is true, then Housewright got a big time schooling at the Cat-Griz game and he was obviously ill-prepared for the game. I’ve heard he’s a very good coach, so I’m not concerned about his ability to make some positive changes.
How can you not be concerned? I don’t think we’ve seen hardly any changes. I understand you can’t exactly change up a whole playbook in a few weeks, but goodness, do something to make life easier on your players.
Because this isn’t anything worthy of being concerned about. I’ve seen teams, people, machines have bad days and either get back on track or fixed right away. Sometimes they’re not fixable. I don’t have any control over it, so I don’t get too concerned about it.
You're not wrong. I guess it just comes down to what the issues are, and how long they've been going on. You seem to be of the mindset that it was just one lousy game against a really good griz defense. And I'm praying you're correct.

Those of us that are saying we're concerned feel this has been more of an on-going issue masked by a weak schedule to start the season. Personally I was concerned at Weber but chalked it up to a short week against a good defense. But then was concerned against ISU but was happy how they finished. Then more concerned against Idaho but again, a win is a win I suppose.

Combine all that with some of the things I heard the week of the Brawl and then seeing that performance, I'm probably the most concerned as I have been all season in regards to our offense. I think if we're actually going to go anywhere in the playoffs something needs to change drastically on offense, or our defense will have to start scoring points.

Obviously the teams we're about to face are only getting better.
I’m of the mindset that it could’ve been just about anything. Injuries, poor game plan, bad day, good UM D and STs, low biorhythms, overconfidence etc.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:28 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:52 am
bobcatfan123 wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:48 am
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
msuhunter wrote:
Alright snowflakes.

People who heard we didn’t use a silent count at UM because “they ain’t Michigan”?

People who have heard our offense was saying out loud last Wednesday they knew we were losing to the griz once they heard the “game plan”?

Listen. I consider myself a pretty rational guy. I don’t go off the rails and call for firings and such. Wouldn’t matter if I did. But this offense has been regressing and there is too much talk for me to ignore. This doesn’t mean I’m a snowflake, done with the team or even done with the OC. It just means I have my doubts and I’m frustrated wasting an elite D and an offense that I think had the pieces to at least be decent.

Next Saturday evening is when I’ll form my final opinion. But there is just too much talk going around for me to have 100% confidence in the leadership of this offense.
Pretty sure that he’s talking about people that are offended by him bashing Housewright. I think he agrees with you.

If what you’re saying is true, then Housewright got a big time schooling at the Cat-Griz game and he was obviously ill-prepared for the game. I’ve heard he’s a very good coach, so I’m not concerned about his ability to make some positive changes.
How can you not be concerned? I don’t think we’ve seen hardly any changes. I understand you can’t exactly change up a whole playbook in a few weeks, but goodness, do something to make life easier on your players.
Yes, Red Flags all over the place with this interview.

He is a long ways off from being ready for the offensive coordinator position in terms of scheme, preparation, leadership, and maturity. Ultimately, Vigen is the one signing off on this product.
I’m still not convinced that I should be concerned.
So what does he need to do for you to be concerned? Run Bobcat football into the ground? Blow up out recruiting relations cause no one wants to play for a crappy offense? Actually burn down Bobcat stadium? What does it take ? Where your line?

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:31 am

luckyirishguy25 wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:28 am
TomCat88 wrote:
bobcatfan123 wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
msuhunter wrote:
Alright snowflakes.

He is a long ways off from being ready for the offensive coordinator position in terms of scheme, preparation, leadership, and maturity. Ultimately, Vigen is the one signing off on this product.
So what does he need to do for you to be concerned? Run Bobcat football into the ground? Blow up out recruiting relations cause no one wants to play for a crappy offense? Actually burn down Bobcat stadium? What does it take ? Where your line?
I’ll let Leon and Waded take care of it. I’m sure they’re quite capable. I’ll be concerned about my children and belongings and my own health. Oh, and tuning my skis. 😉

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:37 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:31 am
luckyirishguy25 wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:28 am
TomCat88 wrote:
bobcatfan123 wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
msuhunter wrote:
Alright snowflakes.

I’ll let Leon and Waded take care of it. I’m sure they’re quite capable. I’ll be concerned about my children and belongings and my own health.
:lol:

I think that is fairly obvious Tom. Obviously none of us should be "concerned" about college football in the same capacity we're concerned about our children's well-being or our health or anything else in life that is far more important than sports which is everything. That goes without saying.

But as this is a message board to discuss sports, primarily Bobcat football, I think the rest of us are talking about "concerns" as it relates to this football team. Of course none of us can control anything. That doesn't mean we shouldn't discuss all things Bobcat football here, the good and the bad.

It's like when the Cats beat the Griz. We're all giddy. The excitement on this board is fantastic. But then someone comes on and says it's not like watching their firstborn enter the world, or it's not as special as their wedding day. :wink:

94VegasCat
Golden Bobcat
Location: Physically in northern Montana but my heart and soul are in Bobcat Stadium

Post by 94VegasCat » Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:42 am

Vigen needs to sit down with his Offensive coaches (which I’d bet he’s done several times since um) and get to the root of the problem. He needs to tell Housewright that the Rose goes in the front, breathe through your eyelids, and hit the mascot once in awhile but never on third down.

GO CATS GO. ESG! GO CATS GO

utucats
Member # Retired

Post by utucats » Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:42 am

Ultimately this is Vigen’s fault. He seems to get a pass as we pile on Housewright but why is Vigen running a staff that thinks they don’t need to be wearing team apparel when speaking publicly?

Who hired the OC who seems to have 3 plays in the playbook? Vigen is the HC! Don’t tell me he doesn’t know the play calls. Does he step in? Does he even disagree?

There is absolutely no way that Vigen is being run over by this guy.

That is why Ash wouldn’t fire Marshall. They were on the same side and agreed about our awful defensive strategy. Same thing here.

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:46 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:27 am
ilovethecats wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
msuhunter wrote:
Alright snowflakes.

Because this isn’t anything worthy of being concerned about. I’ve seen teams, people, machines have bad days and either get back on track or fixed right away. Sometimes they’re not fixable. I don’t have any control over it, so I don’t get too concerned about it.
You're not wrong. I guess it just comes down to what the issues are, and how long they've been going on. You seem to be of the mindset that it was just one lousy game against a really good griz defense. And I'm praying you're correct.

Those of us that are saying we're concerned feel this has been more of an on-going issue masked by a weak schedule to start the season. Personally I was concerned at Weber but chalked it up to a short week against a good defense. But then was concerned against ISU but was happy how they finished. Then more concerned against Idaho but again, a win is a win I suppose.

Combine all that with some of the things I heard the week of the Brawl and then seeing that performance, I'm probably the most concerned as I have been all season in regards to our offense. I think if we're actually going to go anywhere in the playoffs something needs to change drastically on offense, or our defense will have to start scoring points.

I’m of the mindset that it could’ve been just about anything. Injuries, poor game plan, bad day, good UM D and STs, low biorhythms, overconfidence etc.
If it was just one game you’d have a point. It’s been multiple. And you’re misconstruing the idea of being concerned. I understand we don’t make the decisions here, but the whole idea of a message board is to discuss what we like and dislike. And you know that. Don’t be purposefully obtuse.

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:48 am

utucats wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:42 am
Ultimately this is Vigen’s fault. He seems to get a pass as we pile on Housewright but why is Vigen running a staff that thinks they don’t need to be wearing team apparel when speaking publicly?

Who hired the OC who seems to have 3 plays in the playbook? Vigen is the HC! Don’t tell me he doesn’t know the play calls. Does he step in? Does he even disagree?

That is why Ash wouldn’t fire Marshall. They were on the same side and agreed about our awful defensive strategy. Same thing here.
Ash was more of an offensive coach if anything, at least, that was his primary background. He ultimately was the CEO type of coach. Run the program and let the assistants do their job.

utucats
Member # Retired

Post by utucats » Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:52 am

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:48 am
utucats wrote:

Ash was more of an offensive coach if anything, at least, that was his primary background. He ultimately was the CEO type of coach. Run the program and let the assistants do their job.
Ok. Main point is the buck stops with the HC. They know the overall strategy and hear every play call. They don’t get a pass.

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:02 am

utucats wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:52 am
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
utucats wrote:

Ok. Main point is the buck stops with the HC. They know the overall strategy and hear every play call. They don’t get a pass.
Choate was accused of being a micromanager. Always seems to be a fine line of when and where to step in. Playoffs can be 1 and done. Guess we’ll find out who’s fingerprints are on the playcalling.
Last edited by kwcat on Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

onceacat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by onceacat » Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:03 am

utucats wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
utucats wrote:

It also tracks with the exact critique many WY fans have had of Vigen for some time. I certainly don’t have any inside info, but it’s hard to believe that Housewright isn’t doing EXACTLY what Vigen-an offensive coach-is telling him to do.

Other than the Nike sweatshirt. That’s on Housewright.

utucats
Member # Retired

Post by utucats » Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:09 am

onceacat wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:03 am
utucats wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
utucats wrote:

It also tracks with the exact critique many WY fans have had of Vigen for some time. I certainly don’t have any inside info, but it’s hard to believe that Housewright isn’t doing EXACTLY what Vigen-an offensive coach-is telling him to do.

Other than the Nike sweatshirt. That’s on Housewright.
I agree. If Vigen is just letting Housewright do his own thing with these awful results then that is a problem itself.

Choate was accused of some things with his style but he got results. We always were improving and had something to hang our hats on at the end of each year. It’s hard to not worry that this year will be a step in the wrong direction. I’m hoping that doesn’t happen but without a revelation on the offensive side of the ball we are not going far.

bobcatfan123
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by bobcatfan123 » Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:18 am

TomCat88 wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
msuhunter wrote:
Alright snowflakes.

Tom you have over 16,000 posts on Bobcat nation. Quit acting nonchalant lol

rivercat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by rivercat » Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:25 am

Gotta love the differing takes on whose at fault, are there faults and how great things used to be.

The glass is half full...

The glass is half empty....

Who peed in my glass?

That's what fans boards are for.

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

utucats
Member # Retired

Post by utucats » Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:27 am

bobcatfan123 wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:18 am
TomCat88 wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
msuhunter wrote:
Alright snowflakes.

Tom you have over 16,000 posts on Bobcat nation. Quit acting nonchalant lol
Methinks Tom feels disappointment from Cat griz and more coming in the future so perhaps this is a defense mechanism. Be brave Tommy, we will get thru this together!

Long Time Cat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Long Time Cat » Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:38 am

TomCat88 wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
msuhunter wrote:
Alright snowflakes.

While I obvioulsly would have preferred a win in Cat/griz I think that getting thumped was the next best thing. Our offense had been struggling but still winning. This was a "big time schooling" just before we have two weeks to make changes whatever they might be. Hopefully Housewright can see that and will make the changes necessary. I just don't think a close loss would have been the wake up call he needed. I also am not a fan of throwing a coach under the bus or out the window during the season. However if we are one and done in the playoffs after another anemic performance from the offense I think Vigen needs to take a serious look at the coaching staff.

In Tom's vernacular what am I concerned about? Today I'm concerned about a friend who is in danger of having her house foreclosed on so I'm going over to help her clean up and do some repairs in hopes that she can refinance or sell her home. I probably won't think about the Cat's offense the rest of the day, but I sure hope that Vigen and HW do because I will certainly be thinking about it next Saturday.

"Confidence is contagious. So is a lack of confidence." Vince Lombardi

WeedKillinCat
Member # Retired

Post by WeedKillinCat » Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:45 am

Maybe getting our "asses kicked" was a blessing in disguise. We had a lot of faults in our offense and it came to a head last week. It was piss poor planning on the coaches part. They need to get the offense right and ready for next week.

1993 Agronomy
If You Want To Get To Heaven-----You Gotta Raise A Little Hell

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:48 am

WeedKillinCat wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:45 am
Maybe getting our "asses kicked" was a blessing in disguise. We had a lot of faults in our offense and it came to a head last week. It was piss poor planning on the coaches part. They need to get the offense right and ready for next week.
I’m really hoping that’s the case.

Cat/Griz looked like the definition of insanity. Trying the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:55 am

WalkOn79
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by WalkOn79 » Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:06 pm

If true what he said about silent counts and Michigan, well that’s just being ignorant :evil:

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz