Housewright speaks!

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Re: Housewright speaks!

Post by wbtfg » Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:34 pm

Let’s get this thing to 7 pages!

bobcatbob
Member # Retired

Post by bobcatbob » Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:37 pm

mommacat wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:18 pm
As an alumna and proud supporter of MSU, I expect anyone representing our university in a press conference to wear MSU apparel. Not wearing MSU branded gear is disrespectful of the the university and the alumni. I don’t think that is extreme nitpicking.
I agree wholeheartedly on the apparel. More importantly though, I came away from his press conference thinking he is in over his head. The coach speak doesn’t get the job done. He didn’t talk about doing anything different. Did not project confidence. Based on this I do not think it bodes well for the playoffs. Was very disappointing.

onceacat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by onceacat » Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:54 pm

rivercat wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:26 pm
onceacat wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:05 pm
rivercat wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:58 am
onceacat wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:51 am
rivercat wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:45 am
onceacat wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:41 am
rivercat wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:19 am
onceacat wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:10 am
rivercat wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:50 am
onceacat wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:29 am

Looks like Kane was making $100k last year. So I was a little high. Regardless, a coach making $100k/year who's unit is underperforming ought to be able to figure it out.

I guess its better for Housewright if people are talking about his clothes rather than the performance of the Offense though.
Making $100K/year in the Gallatin Valley is roughly equivalent to $70K/year in the majority of other FCS areas. The high cost of living will be something that needs to be considered when setting assistant salaries. Just adding context here.
Yeah, but most reasonable people would slit their wrists living in Cheney or Greeley or Moscow. And Bozeman's expensive, but its a lot cheaper than SLO. Its not any more expensive than Davis, Sacramento, or Flagstaff. Or St. George (Dixie St). Its not even any more expensive that Boise (obviously Boise St isn't FCS anymore, but just for comparison).

No way on Gods green earth that Bozeman is 50% more expensive than the lowest cost of living FCS school. Not even close.

Regardless, $100k/year is a really good living in Bozeman, especially for a 32 year old.
Median Price of a Single Family Home in Bozeman
$800,000
Median Price of a Townhome in Bozeman
$527,500
Median Price of a Condo in Bozeman
$442,000
Yes. I live in Bozeman & am deeply involved in housing.

Still cheaper than SLO. Comparable to Davis, Sac, or Flag. And nowhere close to 50% total cost of living premium to ****** like Cheney or Greeley.
See my comparison to other towns with top FCS programs. And I've lived here since 84 and have been involved with all aspects of housing too. Don't get your point.
Still conveniently ignoring the rest of the Big Sky (other than Cheney).

My point is that you are a master in the art of cherry picking data taht confirms your bias rather than looking at the preponderance of the evidence.

Bozeman is barely in the top half of the BSC in terms of cost of living. And Housewright won't be here long enough to buy a house (either he doesn't improve & gets fired, or he lights it up and gets a promotion...either way, it would make a lot more sense to compare rents rather than cost to buy since theres no reason for him to buy).
Monthly mortgage payment for median priced homes near SDSU, NDSU, JMU, and SHSU with 20% down on a 30 note is $800/mo. In Bozeman it's over $2,800/mo. That's $24K a year more plus the taxes and, etc and it's $30K more a year in Bozeman.
Please see my previous point: Either TH is going to get a promotion or fired in the next two years. I could care less what the mortgage payment is. TH is a renter. Rent on a really sweet 2 BR is $2000/month in Bozeman. Vs $1200 or $1300 in Fargo. You are using fuzzy math.

Also, please see my point about higher home prices in SLO, Davis, Portland, Sacramento and Flagstaff.

One prediction we can make with absolute certainty: Housewright will not be interviewed for the open OC position in Cheney, and if OC jobs open in Brookings, Huntsville, Brookings, or Fargo, Housewright isn't going to be getting calls about those jobs either.

Cherry picker, meet red herring.
You picked the GD argument. My point was that $100K for an OC in Bozeman isn't that much compared to $100K at other FCS programs. It ain't. End of story.
Not that much...unless the comparison is Missoula, Portland, SLO, Flagstaff, Davis, etc. Basically, the rest of the Big Sky Conference. Yes, if you want to live in the Midwest or the South, it's cheaper. ](*,)

Mostly the point is that a 30 year old making a really financially healthy living in one of the most desirable places to live in the country at a top 10 FCS gig ought to be able to show enough pride in his job/employer to mimic Vigen, Nick Saban, Jeff Choate, Waded Cruzado, or whoever and put on a freaking MSU branded hoodie. He sure as hell can afford it. And hes got some really good role models.

Whats the old cliche about taking care of small details?
Last edited by onceacat on Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:59 pm

bobcatbob wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:37 pm
mommacat wrote:
As an alumna and proud supporter of MSU, I expect anyone representing our university in a press conference to wear MSU apparel. Not wearing MSU branded gear is disrespectful of the the university and the alumni. I don’t think that is extreme nitpicking.
I agree wholeheartedly on the apparel. More importantly though, I came away from his press conference thinking he is in over his head. The coach speak doesn’t get the job done. He didn’t talk about doing anything different. Did not project confidence. Based on this I do not think it bodes well for the playoffs. Was very disappointing.
Wearing professional attire has been a thing for as long as I've been alive. This is not extreme nitpicking, he should either wear attire that looks professional or if he wants to wear a hoodie it better say Montana State University or Bobcats. That is not an unreasonable expectation. Housewright doesn't get it, and does not belong in his position. Some day maybe he'll get it and be a good OC but that's not what we hired Vigen for. He was hire to continue with a team that was built to win championships. It's a fact Housewright was out coached in the majority of his games, he needs to thank his talent for bailling his ass out of those games.. If Vigen is a great offensive mind he's doing a disservice to Housewright by not taking control and showing him what's expected and how to make an offense flow.

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:01 pm

mommacat wrote:
Not to pile on but this has little to do with respect, although it’s valid if you think that’s a factor.

On camera interviews, it’s a violation of contract with UA to wear other gear. Almost always, players come in wearing a variety of hats, shirts etc. MSU always has a Bobcat polo
For them to put on. This time it must’ve slipped. But it was the first thing I noticed and it’s certainly an issue from a gear apparel licensing standpoint.

LoggerCat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by LoggerCat » Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:05 pm

This post completely fell off the rails…can we all just agree that we need a new OC?

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:09 pm

Colter_Nuanez wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:01 pm
mommacat wrote:
Not to pile on but this has little to do with respect, although it’s valid if you think that’s a factor.

On camera interviews, it’s a violation of contract with UA to wear other gear. Almost always, players come in wearing a variety of hats, shirts etc. MSU always has a Bobcat polo
For them to put on. This time it must’ve slipped. But it was the first thing I noticed and it’s certainly an issue from a gear apparel licensing standpoint.
Good point Colter, but I don't think any us care about licensing. He should just be proud he's an OC of a great program and represent accordingly. It's obvious this is just a paycheck to him and he's nowhere near being ready for the position he holds.

Doc3kgt
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Doc3kgt » Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:15 pm

Meh. Houseright better get his ****** together or he is going to get replaced by Phenice.

ND0479
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by ND0479 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:16 pm

It all just screams of a maturity issue w/ TH. He’s a young up & comer that’ll probably have a very successful coaching career…after he gets served a few slices of humble pie. Sucks that we’re going to have to endure a few of those with him.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:33 pm

LoggerCat wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:05 pm
This post completely fell off the rails…can we all just agree that we need a new OC?
Yes! We need someone who can handle to responsibility and pressure of calling plays for a top 10 program. Vigen needs to look outside his immediate circle and find a coach that can do the job.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:34 pm

I’ve seen a lot of dumb threads, but this really takes the cake.

ND0479
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by ND0479 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:48 pm

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:34 pm
I’ve seen a lot of dumb threads, but this really takes the cake.
Stop clicking on it then.

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:46 pm

ND0479 wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:16 pm
It all just screams of a maturity issue w/ TH. He’s a young up & comer that’ll probably have a very successful coaching career…after he gets served a few slices of humble pie. Sucks that we’re going to have to endure a few of those with him.
Probably the best comment yet.

The coach speak mad libs, the Nike hoodie, the “we just need to kick ass”…just really speaks to a maturity issue. There are guys still playing FCS football this year that started playing the year after TH graduated.

I’m fully on board with the idea that 1) TH has a really high football IQ and 2) sometimes hiring a young, talented, and inexperienced coach leads to some growing pains for all involved.

Happy Thanksgiving.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:49 pm

Need to see MUCH more from the OC to start having faith. Seeing and hearing things I don’t like. Just my opinion, not trying to change minds. Just not sure how some can be so confident this offense is just going to miraculously get better?

Common Cat

Post by Common Cat » Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:59 pm

Outside of wearing cat gear issue, are you ok with what he had to say?

@rfoley77 @rrcatcast Golden Coolie

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:07 pm

Common Cat wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:59 pm
I couldn’t care less about what he wore or what he said. Actions speak louder than words. If we come out Saturday looking the same as the last 6 weeks on that side of the ball sans one game; I’ll maintain my concerns.

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:38 pm

Common Cat wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:59 pm
Not really. I'm glad that he said the right words about taking accountability, but he didn't convey that he has any idea what is broken or that he has any ideas for how to fix it.

Its entirely possible that he does & he just is terrible at press conferences.

I just don't think "We need 11 guys to kick ass" is actually a solution to the disaster of an offense that's been on the field for the last month ever since the Weber game. He's had 6 weeks to fix things & it doesn't even look like hes tried.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:24 pm

Remember that OC we had than no one liked then he took a job at NDSU and won a national title? The track record of people evaluating OCs isn't good on this website.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:31 pm

iaafan wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:24 pm
Remember that OC we had than no one liked then he took a job at NDSU and won a national title? The track record of people evaluating OCs isn't good on this website.
He wasn't very good when he was here and that's a fact. He didn't have a ton to work with but he didn't try to do anything to tailor the offense to the strengths of the players. Housewright is having the same problem, except he's got some real weapons, and it's like he has amnesia when it comes to what works well.

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:23 pm

iaafan wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:24 pm
I remember how he (or the head coach) kept sending Bruggeman in until the entire stadium booed the kid.

I never really forgave either Choate or Messingham for that.

Yeah, if you are stacked with 1st round NFL talent at QB & first day talent at WR & OL even the average BN poster is going to put up good numbers…