Housewright speaks!

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

LoggerCat
BobcatNation Letterman

Re: Housewright speaks!

Post by LoggerCat » Sat Nov 27, 2021 12:46 am

BleedingBLue wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:22 pm
catatac wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:29 pm
BleedingBLue wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:06 pm
catatac wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:02 pm
wbtfg wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:01 pm
imacat wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:53 pm
There is nothing that Housewright could have said or done in the press conference to placate the wolves at his door. The only thing that will do that is offense production on the field.
I disagree with this.
What would you have said during that interview that would have put everyone at ease about how the Cat-Griz game played out?
"I didn't adjust well to what Montana was doing and that's on me. I didn't put our offense in the positions I needed to in order to let succeed and its clear we need some more diversity." End press conference.
I'm not going to listen to it again but I'm almost positive he stated multiple times that the lack of execution on offense, and the questionable play calling, was on him. As for the diversity stuff, I've stated this in a couple other threads but we played our secret weapon on offense for the first time this season, played Mellott at Wide Receiver for the first time ever, tried a fake field goal, and ran some plays on offense that I had not seen this year. Pretty much none of them worked, due to poor execution and playing against the best defense in the FCS. So, for everyone claiming that all we did was run Ifanse up the gut for the first two plays, then chucked the ball up for LM o third and long all game..... go ahead and watch the game again. That's not how it played out.
First, we ran the ball almost every 1st down in the 1st half (a lot up the gut). Second, he didn't adjust to the blitz until the 2nd half (late). It wasn't all about thinking we only run up the gut and then threw bombs to McCutcheon. We don't do anything any different than we have all year, and we haven't been diverse.

Tommy isn't a secret weapon at WR when the ball doesn't get in his hands out there and his blocking is, for a lack of a better term... Awful. There were several outside runs that may have been successful had a real WR been in (because our WRs are actually pretty damn good blockers) but instead it was our wildcat QB and he can't block.

Against a heavy blitzing team you have to throw into vacated areas, not the covered areas. Slants and crosses don't need more than a second or 2 to develop, then your QB doesn't have to worry as much about the blitz. I don't care if McKay doesn't throw great balls over the middle, at some point you have to what works at every level against the blitz. Throw where the blitz came from. Housewrong didn't adjust before the game, during the game and I doubt he has after.

Hopefully this link works, if not just go search YouTube for Matt McKay when he played for NC State. Seems he thrives with short/intermediate routes. Slants/crossing routes across the middle. All the things bobcatnation wants to see! I sure hope in a weeks time the offense opens up more but I’m not counting on it.

Joe Bobcat
Member # Retired

Post by Joe Bobcat » Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:06 am

catatac wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
catatac wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
imacat wrote:
There is nothing that Housewright could have said or done in the press conference to placate the wolves at his door. The only thing that will do that is offense production on the field.
I disagree with this.
What would you have said during that interview that would have put everyone at ease about how the Cat-Griz game played out?
"I didn't adjust well to what Montana was doing and that's on me. I didn't put our offense in the positions I needed to in order to let succeed and its clear we need some more diversity." End press conference.
I'm not going to listen to it again but I'm almost positive he stated multiple times that the lack of execution on offense, and the questionable play calling, was on him. As for the diversity stuff, I've stated this in a couple other threads but we played our secret weapon on offense for the first time this season, played Mellott at Wide Receiver for the first time ever, tried a fake field goal, and ran some plays on offense that I had not seen this year. Pretty much none of them worked, due to poor execution and playing against the best defense in the FCS. So, for everyone claiming that all we did was run Ifanse up the gut for the first two plays, then chucked the ball up for LM o third and long all game..... go ahead and watch the game again. That's not how it played out.
I’m not going to go back and listen to it either and while he did say multiple times that the poor offense was on him, he always seemed to pair it with a statement that it was actually as much or more the players fault. No we didn’t only run it up the gut but we also didn’t go back to the type of plays that we had the best success with either.

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:11 am

@LoggerCat I've never watched his highlights from NC State. That Matt McKay is an entirely different player than the Matt McKay playing for the Cats. He went through progressions, made decisive reads on the read option and made crisp confident throws. I'm more certain than ever that the system is a big part of the issue for him. It's pretty clear the 1st read only part of his game isn't just on him. He's been handcuffed all year, and his confidence has seemed to diminish each week. If the old McKay shows up for the playoffs, even with questionable play calling, this team could look a lot different.

Joe Bobcat
Member # Retired

Post by Joe Bobcat » Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:26 am

Thanks for posting that video Loggercat. It reminded me of something I meant to say quite a while ago about MM’s passing and that is; he can throw dimes to a spot where a receiver has run stopped and turned. Every WR TE and RB should have at least 3 plays where they run 5 to 10 yards stop turn and catch.

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:53 am

Joe Bobcat wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:26 am
Thanks for posting that video Loggercat. It reminded me of something I meant to say quite a while ago about MM’s passing and that is; he can throw dimes to a spot where a receiver has run stopped and turned. Every WR TE and RB should have at least 3 plays where they run 5 to 10 yards stop turn and catch.
He also can ROLL OUT and hit wheel routes. Maybe we should try some of that stuff!

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Sat Nov 27, 2021 4:09 am

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:01 am
PHAT CAT wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:25 pm
Loved Cliff. I worked for three years on MSU coaches show. Hys was the best. Not a chance in hell he would of hired Housewright. This dude is a chump.
But Housewright and Cliff have that one thing in common. They went on the air and said we got our ass kicked in those exact words. I distinctly remember Hysell being interviewed by Dean Alexander-I think after getting pummeled by EWU, and Cliff made that declaration on the air. His post game interviews were pretty painful even after a good game but Dean Alexander always got him talking. The similarities probably end there.
Loved Cliff. Did some computer programming for him to analyze opponent’s tendencies from data collected from film. Pretty forward-looking in those days. For all the time he was the head coach he always showed up in my door with a couple of packets of season tickets. I’d break into a smoke and thank him, and he’d say welcome and that was it. But he never forgot the help he got from the little guys. Humble man.

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:22 am

BleedingBLue wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:11 am
@LoggerCat I've never watched his highlights from NC State. That Matt McKay is an entirely different player than the Matt McKay playing for the Cats. He went through progressions, made decisive reads on the read option and made crisp confident throws. I'm more certain than ever that the system is a big part of the issue for him. It's pretty clear the 1st read only part of his game isn't just on him. He's been handcuffed all year, and his confidence has seemed to diminish each week. If the old McKay shows up for the playoffs, even with questionable play calling, this team could look a lot different.

Keep in mind it’s a highlight tape, so we are only seeing the good plays.

But yes I agree, he looks like a completely different player.

The biggest thing that jumps out to me is that he just looks like he has more energy. Quick feet in the pocket, first step when taking off, etc....

FTG- GO CATS GO!

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:36 am

BleedingBLue wrote:
catatac wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
catatac wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
imacat wrote:
I disagree with this.
First, we ran the ball almost every 1st down in the 1st half (a lot up the gut). Second, he didn't adjust to the blitz until the 2nd half (late). It wasn't all about thinking we only run up the gut and then threw bombs to McCutcheon. We don't do anything any different than we have all year, and we haven't been diverse.

Tommy isn't a secret weapon at WR when the ball doesn't get in his hands out there and his blocking is, for a lack of a better term... Awful. There were several outside runs that may have been successful had a real WR been in (because our WRs are actually pretty damn good blockers) but instead it was our wildcat QB and he can't block.

Against a heavy blitzing team you have to throw into vacated areas, not the covered areas. Slants and crosses don't need more than a second or 2 to develop, then your QB doesn't have to worry as much about the blitz. I don't care if McKay doesn't throw great balls over the middle, at some point you have to what works at every level against the blitz. Throw where the blitz came from. Housewrong didn't adjust before the game, during the game and I doubt he has after.
Again, the statement above is 100 percent false. We played TM at receiver, we played TA on offense, we tried a fake FG, and we ran some plays on offense that I had not seen yet. Those are all things we had not done yet this year so to say we didn't do anything different than what we had done all year is wrong. Now, if someone would have said we needed to run some different plays that will for sure work, or plays that I want to see them run and they didn't... well then I certainly can't argue against that.

Also, I agree 100% with your assessment of TM, and some other moves we made... while they were different than what we've seen all year, I didn't really like them. Right when I saw him line up at receiver I was concerned. I totally understand the concept of getting the ball into your best players hands, but he's super young, and we have some good talent at the receiver positions. Totally seemed like a reaction to people wanting coaches to "try something different".

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

Lord Vigo
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Lord Vigo » Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:47 am

My impression is that Vigen is more of an overhead “CEO” type of head coach, rather than a guy who engineers one side of the ball or the other.

That can work, but it places more importance on coordinator hires. It seems like they knocked DC out of the park, but OC hasn’t worked out that way.

If Housewright is really one of the main issues, hopefully they can get it right next time.

lutecat
Member # Retired

Post by lutecat » Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:52 am

I think the new plays being referred to weren't prepared for sufficiently enough. The fake FG. It looked like a "we tried this one time in practice so let's see what happened.

lutecat
Member # Retired

Post by lutecat » Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:52 am

I think the new plays being referred to weren't prepared for sufficiently enough. The fake FG. It looked like a "we tried this one time in practice so let's see what happened.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:36 am

catatac wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:36 am
BleedingBLue wrote:
catatac wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
catatac wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
imacat wrote:
I disagree with this.

Again, the statement above is 100 percent false. We played TM at receiver, we played TA on offense, we tried a fake FG, and we ran some plays on offense that I had not seen yet. Those are all things we had not done yet this year so to say we didn't do anything different than what we had done all year is wrong. Now, if someone would have said we needed to run some different plays that will for sure work, or plays that I want to see them run and they didn't... well then I certainly can't argue against that.

Also, I agree 100% with your assessment of TM, and some other moves we made... while they were different than what we've seen all year, I didn't really like them. Right when I saw him line up at receiver I was concerned. I totally understand the concept of getting the ball into your best players hands, but he's super young, and we have some good talent at the receiver positions. Totally seemed like a reaction to people wanting coaches to "try something different".
I wouldn't call running the same plays diverse, just because Tommy was in at WR, or Troy in at RB for 2 plays. That's just smoke and mirrors.

utucats
Member # Retired

Post by utucats » Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:48 am

Lord Vigo wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:47 am
My impression is that Vigen is more of an overhead “CEO” type of head coach, rather than a guy who engineers one side of the ball or the other.

That can work, but it places more importance on coordinator hires. It seems like they knocked DC out of the park, but OC hasn’t worked out that way.

If Housewright is really one of the main issues, hopefully they can get it right next time.
That may be true but time for him to knock it off and get in the trenches. He was an OC for how many seasons? He’s been a HC for less than 1. He needs to adjust his style.

The lack of offense is on his head.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:49 am

BleedingBLue wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:36 am
catatac wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
catatac wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
catatac wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
imacat wrote:
I disagree with this.

I wouldn't call running the same plays diverse, just because Tommy was in at WR, or Troy in at RB for 2 plays. That's just smoke and mirrors.
Tommy also has played WR in about 8-9 games this year. That wasn't new for the Griz game.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

rivercat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by rivercat » Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:51 am

BleedingBLue wrote:
catatac wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
catatac wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
catatac wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
imacat wrote:
I disagree with this.

Yeah, it felt a little desperate and "last hope" in nature. It was as if they tried to reproduce the Cats diverse running game from last season, but not really. If the offense had been diverse up to that point without success, I don't think it would have looked so bad. But the continuous RPO hand off between the tackles and long developing pass plays were not what I consider diverse.

I'm going to hope for a better game plan, better execution, and better in-game adjustments in the playoffs and not dwell on what I've seen these past 4 games.

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

Lord Vigo
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Lord Vigo » Sat Nov 27, 2021 12:10 pm

utucats wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:48 am
Lord Vigo wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:47 am

That may be true but time for him to knock it off and get in the trenches. He was an OC for how many seasons? He’s been a HC for less than 1. He needs to adjust his style.

The lack of offense is on his head.
Yeah he needs to step in for sure.

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Sat Nov 27, 2021 12:17 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:49 am
BleedingBLue wrote:
catatac wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
catatac wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
catatac wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
imacat wrote:
I disagree with this.

Tommy also has played WR in about 8-9 games this year. That wasn't new for the Griz game.
I swear people don’t actually watch the games. The only new thing was TA on offense, and that is a different package, not different schematics. The fake FG has nothing to do with offensive scheme.