Troy Big Sky DPOY!!

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

bowmat65
New Recruit

Re: Troy Big Sky DPOY!!

Post by bowmat65 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:03 pm

Jerry Kramer--Jordan, MT

In an 11-year career, Kramer was a three-time Pro Bowler, four times First-Team All-Pro and recognized 23 times on various All-Pro teams, in seven different seasons. He's also a member of the NFL's All-Decade Team of the 1960s and in 2018, 50 years after he retired, he was enshrined in the Pro Football Hall of Fame, making him the only Montana-born player to be inducted.

mongoo99
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by mongoo99 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:47 pm

Troy, Mariani, Briemann, Donovan all had the same thing in common. They were great players on great teams. That’s why I’m going with Corey Widmer. He had a good NFL career, but that’s beside the point. Look what he did at MSU, most notably 1990. Bad team, worse coach (who won’t be named). MSU was 4-7 and 3-5. Widmer had no help on defense, yet he was named the DPOY. How many POY on offense or defense came from a lousy team with a worse coach (who won’t be named). 2 time All-America. Best Montana athlete, right there. Could he play offense like Troy? We’ll never know, but he could play defense better than anyone. In 1991 the team was even worse (2-9 & 1-7) yet he repeated as All-America. Because MSU was so bad, people forget about Widmer.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:50 pm

Camo_Cat wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:16 pm
AFCAT wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:36 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:25 pm
CodyCat wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:56 pm
Is Troy the best FCS football player to ever come out of Montana??? This question should get some of you knowledgeable people going.
Pat Donovan (Helena High, Stanford, Dallas) is the best as of right now.
Yup, best all around athlete in Montana history, so far. Let's see what Troy can do going forward.
I think in terms of positional players, then yes, Donovan tops the list. But in terms of shear athletic talent, then it's Troy and no one is close. Troy reminds me of a Bo Jackson, Deion Sanders, or as someone else mentioned, Jim Thorpe. Someone who can do it all. If you put Donovan at QB or RB, no way he has success like Troy has had when asked to play a different position.
You’re exactly right, which is why I said “so far.” Andersen and Cooper Kupp are the two best players I’ve seen in the BSC. Troy is the most versatile and athletic. I think he’s the greatest athlete in Montana history. His high school hoop team was the best team in the state and he was a stud on it. He was also an exceptional as a sprinter. Donovan was a great basketball and track athlete as well.

Jerry Kramer is a native Montanan, but like Phil Jackson I don’t consider him a Montanan. That sounds harsh, but they both spent a majority of their childhoods out of Montana. Kramer went to HS in Idaho. Jackson in North Dakota.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:55 pm

mongoo99 wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:47 pm
Troy, Mariani, Briemann, Donovan all had the same thing in common. They were great players on great teams. That’s why I’m going with Corey Widmer. He had a good NFL career, but that’s beside the point. Look what he did at MSU, most notably 1990. Bad team, worse coach (who won’t be named). MSU was 4-7 and 3-5. Widmer had no help on defense, yet he was named the DPOY. How many POY on offense or defense came from a lousy team with a worse coach (who won’t be named). 2 time All-America. Best Montana athlete, right there. Could he play offense like Troy? We’ll never know, but he could play defense better than anyone. In 1991 the team was even worse (2-9 & 1-7) yet he repeated as All-America. Because MSU was so bad, people forget about Widmer.
What's more amazing to me was the Bozeman Hawks and Corey Widmer and Shane Collins in the same class and they didn't even have a winning record in football. Collins played at Arizona State and the Washington Redskins.

onceacat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by onceacat » Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:26 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:47 pm
(Updated per Vim's comment)
Troy Andersen:
2017 - Big Sky Freshman of the Year (running back/linebacker)
2018 - First team All-Big Sky quarterback
2019 - First team All-Big Sky outside linebacker
2021 - Defensive Player of the Year; First team All-Big Sky middle linebacker

Impressive to look at all stacked up together. That's just Big Sky honors.

No one will ever do that again.
The ONLY thing that would have made playing the Spring season would have been that Troy would have been all BSC 5x.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:04 pm

Camo_Cat wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:16 pm
AFCAT wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:36 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:25 pm
CodyCat wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:56 pm
Is Troy the best FCS football player to ever come out of Montana??? This question should get some of you knowledgeable people going.
Pat Donovan (Helena High, Stanford, Dallas) is the best as of right now.
Yup, best all around athlete in Montana history, so far. Let's see what Troy can do going forward.
I think in terms of positional players, then yes, Donovan tops the list. But in terms of shear athletic talent, then it's Troy and no one is close. Troy reminds me of a Bo Jackson, Deion Sanders, or as someone else mentioned, Jim Thorpe. Someone who can do it all. If you put Donovan at QB or RB, no way he has success like Troy has had when asked to play a different position.
Donovan was drafted as a defensive lineman, moved to offensive line (having not played the position since high school) in training camp and later went on to be all pro multiple times. Go check out Pats high school athletics career. I’ll give Troy the all time title if and when he has a successful NFL career. Troy is my all-time favorite Bobcat though.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

vike_king

Post by vike_king » Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:40 pm

Well, I don't know about the rest of you hutterites but, I have plane tickets and a room in Vegas for the NFL draft.....to watch Troy get drafted.

Chester, MT/ Helena, MT

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:46 pm

vike_king wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:40 pm
Well, I don't know about the rest of you hutterites but, I have plane tickets and a room in Vegas for the NFL draft.....to watch Troy get drafted.
That's a hell of an idea. See you there!

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:16 pm

vike_king wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:40 pm
That sounds very awesome. Send me a link on how to do that please!

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:28 pm

Troy Andersen's track record in basketball, football and track is unparalleled in Montana. No one has accomplished as much individually or team-wise in multiple sports as he has.

When Pat Donovan was senior in high school they combined Helena Central and Helena High, which both had good teams and they went .500. His basketball team was excellent and won state once. He won multiple throwing events at the state meet. He was an All-America DE at Stanford and became an OL for the Cowboys where he was a 4x Pro Bowler and was second team All-Pro four times.

Troy Andersen won the 100 and 200 in consecutive years. The 4x100 relay won two straight years. They won the team title once and finished second once. He won football titles three times in four years. He won state basketball his junior and senior years. He was an All-Big Sky first team quarterback, outside LB and middle LB. He's rec'd All-America accolades twice and most likely three times. He's a leading candidate for the Buck Buchanan Award and the Academic Heisman (Campbell) Award.

In terms of Montana sports history, he is greatness personified.

toM StUber

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:36 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:28 pm
Troy Andersen's track record in basketball, football and track is unparalleled in Montana. No one has accomplished as much individually or team-wise in multiple sports as he has.

When Pat Donovan was senior in high school they combined Helena Central and Helena High, which both had good teams and they went .500. His basketball team was excellent and won state once. He won multiple throwing events at the state meet. He was an All-America DE at Stanford and became an OL for the Cowboys where he was a 4x Pro Bowler and was second team All-Pro four times.

Troy Andersen won the 100 and 200 in consecutive years. The 4x100 relay won two straight years. They won the team title once and finished second once. He won football titles three times in four years. He won state basketball his junior and senior years. He was an All-Big Sky first team quarterback, outside LB and middle LB. He's rec'd All-America accolades twice and most likely three times. He's a leading candidate for the Buck Buchanan Award and the Academic Heisman (Campbell) Award.

In terms of HS, how does matt Miller compare?

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:43 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:36 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:28 pm

In terms of HS, how does matt Miller compare?
Matt won three football titles in four years. Good hoop player, but never won a title. Won state hurdle title.

toM StUber

Phat Daddy
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Phat Daddy » Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:27 pm

Likely the best player any of us will ever see or have seen in a Bobcat uniform, whether you’re 8 or 80. A unanimous selection at QB, which was an emergency placement in the summer to the conference defensive POY. If he isn’t the best we’ll ever see, he is inarguably the most versatile and rarest of talents. Let’s not forget elite as a student and citizen. =D^ =D^

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:40 am

Have seen nothing like Troy as a Bobcat or anywhere else in the Big Sky since it formed in 1963. His success at playing multiple positions and a two-way year when that’s about as common as the dodo are unmatched. As for individual running skills, his dashes to the end zone from 40, 50, 60, 70 yards were great feats in themselves. Has anyone in the conference ever scored from “backcourt” that often? If he’d have carried the football for all four years (barring unforeseen stuff) the record book would have needed an extra page. His play on both offense and defense has elevated his entire team and that’s a measure of greatness.

I don’t say this lightly, but I did see one back carry the ball better than Troy although he was not a Bobcat but an opponent. If you were at Gatton Field in September 1968 when West Texas came to town, then you saw Eugene “Mercury” Morris put on the greatest running show ever. I was sitting near the east goal line and on each of his five touchdowns he started in the backfield and suddenly got closer and bigger like an onrushing locomotive. He was extremely fast, powerful, and made those elusive cuts that leave defenders playing air football. Troy is bigger and not as fast, but he’s the only other back I’ve seen that makes effortless and powerful cuts at speed and leaves a trail of defenders wondering what just happened. To watch him take a handoff with 21 other players in front and beat them all to the end zone by 10 yards never got old!

Happy to have gotten to see Troy play. Legendary stuff. And by all accounts just as good off the field, although his acting seems to need some work. I love his laid back Dillon “aw, shucks” attitude and his very genuine joy at getting to play the game. Congratulations to those of you who go to the NFL draft — great idea, and you won’t be disappointed.

💙💛😺

BStinsMSU
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by BStinsMSU » Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:10 pm

Lord Vigo wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:15 pm
From Dane Brugler, the main NFL draft guy over at The Athletic:

Maybe this should be saved for post season talk, but the comment about two way potential had me smiling, Troy puts on 20 lbs and becomes a TE in the NFL?

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Living on the KittieKop Legacy...

autocat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by autocat » Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:03 pm

TROY’S better then all these guys mentioned, he can crab walk faster backwards then these running forward :D