1st round matchups

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Prodigal Cat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

1st round matchups

Post by Prodigal Cat » Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:52 pm

What game on Saturday will you be keeping an eye on? Yes I know, we will most want to break down the Cats opponent in two weeks. However, there a few games that if the Cats weren’t involved would be more interesting. SDSU vs Davis, EWU vs UNI. The Valley fan boys are all predicting the Jacks to run through the California teams fairly easy. Be nice if Davis and EWU shut them up.

I’ll probably watch the SDSU/Davis game till our future matchup starts. Then if it get out of hand I’ll switch to the EWU game.

Brewer/Owner Copper Furrow Brewing

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Re: 1st round matchups

Post by BleedingBLue » Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:20 pm

I'm really interested in Stephen F. Austin @ Incarnate Word and Florida A & M @ SELA. SFA is pretty good defensively and has a solid QB who takes care of the ball. I think they are better than a lot of people give them credit for and they can give SHSU a game in round 2.

I have no idea how good any of the SWAC teams really are, which is why I'm interested in the 2nd game. SELA is bad defensively and A & M is really good, or at least the SWAC says so.

Joe Bobcat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Joe Bobcat » Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:58 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:20 pm
I'm really interested in Stephen F. Austin @ Incarnate Word and Florida A & M @ SELA. SFA is pretty good defensively and has a solid QB who takes care of the ball. I think they are better than a lot of people give them credit for and they can give SHSU a game in round 2.

I have no idea how good any of the SWAC teams really are, which is why I'm interested in the 2nd game. SELA is bad defensively and A & M is really good, or at least the SWAC says so.
Yeah SFA certainly hung with Sam earlier in the season. SFA started the 4thQ with a score of 20 to 6 having held Sam scoreless in the 1st and 3rd.
Sam had to convert a 4th down on each of their late TDs. On one of those 4th downs they were actually stopped short but got bailed out by a face mask penalty. SFA missed a long FG attempt at the end of the game that would've given them the win.
I have no idea now how healthy SFA is and they won't have the advantage of the bye like Sam will but if they or Incarnate could beat Sam then we'd get to host that quarter final providing we win our Dec 4 match up.

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:06 pm

Prodigal Cat wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:52 pm
What game on Saturday will you be keeping an eye on? Yes I know, we will most want to break down the Cats opponent in two weeks. However, there a few games that if the Cats weren’t involved would be more interesting. SDSU vs Davis, EWU vs UNI. The Valley fan boys are all predicting the Jacks to run through the California teams fairly easy. Be nice if Davis and EWU shut them up.

I’ll probably watch the SDSU/Davis game till our future matchup starts. Then if it get out of hand I’ll switch to the EWU game.
I think SDSU will smoke Davis. Wouldn't be terribly surprised if UNI beats EWU, but EWU should win that one. There's a scenario where all five BSC teams are one-and-done at the hands of a MVFC team. That would really suck for the BSC, but it's not outside the realm of possibilities by any means.

SDSU beats Davis, then beats SAC. UNI beats EWU, then beats UM. Missouri State beats MSU. Seems like it would be tough for UNI to beat both EWU and UM on consecutive weeks, but they crushed SAC 34-16 and SAC was down 34-9 until midway through the fourth quarter and the game was at SAC. Yikes! The more I type this in, the more likely it seems.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:25 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:06 pm
Prodigal Cat wrote:

I think SDSU will smoke Davis. Wouldn't be terribly surprised if UNI beats EWU, but EWU should win that one. There's a scenario where all five BSC teams are one-and-done at the hands of a MVFC team. That would really suck for the BSC, but it's not outside the realm of possibilities by any means.

SDSU beats Davis, then beats SAC. UNI beats EWU, then beats UM. Missouri State beats MSU. Seems like it would be tough for UNI to beat both EWU and UM on consecutive weeks, but they crushed SAC 34-16 and SAC was down 34-9 until midway through the fourth quarter and the game was at SAC. Yikes! The more I type this in, the more likely it seems.
SDSU beats Davis, EWU beats UNI, and a rested and hopefully healthy Montana State beats up a tired and beat up Missouri State team in Bozeman. I do agree SDSU probably beats SAC, but the winner of UM and EWU probably beats UNI. That's how I see it all playing out anyway.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:28 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Prodigal Cat wrote:

The UNI was the last game Sac featured Asher O'Hara at QB, at least having him be the main passer that is. They made the switch to have Dunniway be the main guy moving forward with O'Hara being a complimentary running QB who still is capable of about 5-10 passes a game. O'Hara was 32/53 for 338 yards and 3 INTs against UNI, he hasn't thrown more than 10 attempts since.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

Prodigal Cat

Post by Prodigal Cat » Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:15 pm

I may be totally off but i don't think the MVFC is as much head and shoulders above the other conferences as in past years. SDSU was awesome at the beginning of the season and they got up or NDSU but they are beatable. Davis probably not but I have been impressed with Sac St when I watched them. I also think EWU will take out UNI.

Brewer/Owner Copper Furrow Brewing

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:34 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Prodigal Cat wrote:

I agree that SDSU beats Davis. SDSU has had a bit of a weird season. They started out by crushing FBS Colorado State in a game that looked like SDSU was playing a D2 team. Their losses were in OT to then-top-10 SIU, UNI, and that insane last-second hail mary to South Dakota. If not for that, SDSU would be seeded and MSU might not be.
They are good enough to go all the way.

coochorama42
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by coochorama42 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:09 pm

I feel that the MVFC/Big Sky matchups in round one are the most interesting. I really don't give Davis much of a chance against SDSU, but think that Sac State will beat them. Like @Prodigal Cat, I believe the MVFC is down this year. I really like Sac State, MSU, and UM in potential 2nd round MVFC matchups (though I like EWU vs. UNI). I think that NDSU is likely the best team out of the two conferences, but believe the Big Sky has the next four best, with SDSU just behind EWU.

NorthernPlains
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by NorthernPlains » Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:15 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Prodigal Cat wrote:

NO, IT IS NOT LIKELY. Quickly step away from your keyboard! We sure as heck are not going to allow that nightmare scenario!

BobcatDel

Post by BobcatDel » Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:25 pm

91catAlum wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:34 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
Prodigal Cat wrote:

I agree that SDSU beats Davis. SDSU has had a bit of a weird season. They started out by crushing FBS Colorado State in a game that looked like SDSU was playing a D2 team. Their losses were in OT to then-top-10 SIU, UNI, and that insane last-second hail mary to South Dakota. If not for that, SDSU would be seeded and MSU might not be.
Yeah I kinda had SDSU as the dark horse on our side of the bracket. And I thought the same thing re seeding….they would have been seeded rather than MSU except for the Hail Mary pass loss to SD. They also played in the spring championship game and their quality starting QB went down on the first series of the game. I don’t know how healthy they are right now…but I can easily see them get to semifinals.

onceacat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by onceacat » Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:56 pm

BobcatDel wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:25 pm
91catAlum wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:34 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
Prodigal Cat wrote:

Yeah I kinda had SDSU as the dark horse on our side of the bracket. And I thought the same thing re seeding….they would have been seeded rather than MSU except for the Hail Mary pass loss to SD. They also played in the spring championship game and their quality starting QB went down on the first series of the game. I don’t know how healthy they are right now…but I can easily see them get to semifinals.
SDSUs losses are to South Dakota (on the hail mary) UNI, and SIU...All playoff teams. They have wins against NDSU & CSU.

Hard to say they aren't as capable as winning out as anyone. I saw them as a top 5 team before the loss to USD.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:11 pm

Florida A&M proved today why the SWAC doesn't belong in the playoffs.