Playoffs! #8 MSU vs UT-Martin

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

superbobcat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Re: Playoffs! #8 MSU vs UT-Martin or Bobby Petrino and Missouri State

Post by superbobcat » Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:03 am

BleedingBLue wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:42 am
I've already forgotten about Saturday. At this point t it doesn't matter anymore. It is disheartening to hear fans are letting this ruin the rest of the season when it comes to them attending or not attending games though.

I did have a co-worker email our entire office this morning saying poooooooor poooooor Bobcats, GREAT Grizzlies. I replied and said congrats on the win, hopefully your team is more focused on the upcoming gauntlet they'll have to run run through to even sniff a national championship. Have fun in Harrisonburg, and Fargo, if you even get past Eastern or UNI.

Oh and just a side note you are the reason people don't like Griz fans. :lol:
My 4th grade son was dreading going to school today because as he told me last night, "everybody will be a griz fan after they won." I snidely told him that MSU fans are fans because they earned a degree at MSU and griz fans root for them because they are bandwagoners, buy their gear at Walmart, and many have never set foot in Missoula but they shoot their mouth off anyway. My wife wasn't to happy so I followed it up with a "hold your head high, remain loyal, compliment the winner, and don't get emotional." That seemed to suffice!

I was proud of him this morning, as he wore his best bobcat hoodie and beanie cap . I told him, in the pickup as I dropped him off, to be complimentary of the griz defense and kicker, remember that neither offense was worth a darn, and the griz beat us on special teams. He told me, you know how (best friend) is, and it was going to be hard, to that I said, "I feel your pain!" Poor kid probably deserves a milk shake after school!

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:09 am

superbobcat wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:03 am
BleedingBLue wrote:
I've already forgotten about Saturday. At this point t it doesn't matter anymore. It is disheartening to hear fans are letting this ruin the rest of the season when it comes to them attending or not attending games though.

I did have a co-worker email our entire office this morning saying poooooooor poooooor Bobcats, GREAT Grizzlies. I replied and said congrats on the win, hopefully your team is more focused on the upcoming gauntlet they'll have to run run through to even sniff a national championship. Have fun in Harrisonburg, and Fargo, if you even get past Eastern or UNI.

My 4th grade son was dreading going to school today because as he told me last night, "everybody will be a griz fan after they won." I snidely told him that MSU fans are fans because they earned a degree at MSU and griz fans root for them because they are bandwagoners, buy their gear at Walmart, and many have never set foot in Missoula but they shoot their mouth off anyway. My wife wasn't to happy so I followed it up with a "hold your head high, remain loyal, compliment the winner, and don't get emotional." That seemed to suffice!

I was proud of him this morning, as he wore his best bobcat hoodie and beanie cap . I told him, in the pickup as I dropped him off, to be complimentary of the griz defense and kicker, remember that neither offense was worth a darn, and the griz beat us on special teams. He told me, you know how (best friend) is, and it was going to be hard, to that I said, "I feel your pain!" Poor kid probably deserves a milk shake after school!
That's great! I'm sure he will have some stories when he gets home. Hopefully if the kid that's his best friend really is his friend he'll take it easy on him, especially if your son doesn't engage and tells him yep they had a good game.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:15 am

BleedingBLue wrote:

This is where I land right now. I was able to push that game out of my mind quicker than I have in year's past. I'm trying to pinpoint why exactly, but the main reason is likely the fact that we won 4 in a row before this, and that we still got a top 8 seed. It's not the end of the world, we need to flush it and move on and the sooner we do that the better.

Imagine how the players will feel if they run out of the BAC in two weeks to a half empty stadium? I mean I get it's the playoffs and they never sell out, but let's pack it in as much as we normally do for this type of year, the players deserve it.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:17 am

Teach your kids that it’s just a game, and the rivalry is supposed to be for fun, and then they might grow up to be well adjusted adults unlike the majority of this board (myself included).

superbobcat

Post by superbobcat » Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:34 am

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:17 am
Teach your kids that it’s just a game, and the rivalry is supposed to be for fun, and then they might grow up to be well adjusted adults unlike the majority of this board (myself included).
If the truth were known, my wife strongly suggested before the game that I conduct myself in a less emotional manner as we watch the game with our kids. My oldest kept asking me if something was wrong during the game, as he had never seen me so calm. I just told him higher powers told me to calm down and enjoy it rather than get to emotional and that someday he would understand!

aucat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by aucat » Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:55 am

Regarding this rivalry I have been around Montana a long time and I can honestly say that I remember a time when MSU fans would actually pull
for UM in the playoffs. But I can tell you when it all changed for me and that is when Bobby Hauck became their coach and he quickly wanted to show everyone what a classless jerk he was. All great coaches know how to WIN with class and LOSE with class. Hauck demonstrated how not to do both.
There are so many examples of his classless behavior that I could bring up, but no need to detail it. THEN, it seems that many of the UM Griz fans
started to emulate Houck's behavior. They exhibited very poor sportsmanship when they came to Bobcat Stadium and whipped our tails. They reveled in the "MSU is our little red headed stepchild" mentality. Personally, I am all about good sportsmanship. I like to see teams fight it out and then at the end of the game the loser congratulates the winner and the winner displays class. So yes, with the Hauck influence at UM, I find myself pulling against UM in everything. I guess that's why I liked Choate so much. He got in UM's face and exhibited swagger. I think Vegin is a good coach and is a class act, but he really needs to understand the arena he is in. But hell yeah, wouldn't it be a blast to lose the state championship and win the national championship? I think Alabama did that a few years ago. They lost to Auburn and didn't even play in the SEC championship game, yet ended up as national champs. So the precedent is out there, but we gotta improve our QB play! GO CATS and see you in Bobcat Stadium Dec. 4!

The MICKSTER

Post by The MICKSTER » Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:04 pm

So here's a ?.....

Below are some current polls/ratings........

POLL............UT Martin.......Missouri St..........CATS
Sagarin...............160..............100..............107
STATS..................16................12...............7
Coaches...............13................10...............9

UT Martin is traveling to Missouri State.

Per the polls/rankings combined with the fact that UT Martin is having to travel.........should Coach Vigen have the team spend 100% of their time this week preparing for Missouri State because the chance of them winning seem to be quite high, or should it be split 50-50 and be prepared for either opponent?

I'm thinking have the team prepare 100% for Missouri State, but have the coaches do some film review of UT Martin in case they pull the upset, then the coaches will have a 'head start' on next weeks game plan.

??????

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:07 pm

The MICKSTER wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:04 pm
So here's a ?.....

Per the polls/rankings combined with the fact that UT Martin is having to travel.........should Coach Vigen have the team spend 100% of their time this week preparing for Missouri State because the chance of them winning seem to be quite high, or should it be split 50-50 and be prepared for either opponent?

I'm thinking have the team prepare 100% for Missouri State, but have the coaches do some film review of UT Martin in case they pull the upset, then the coaches will have a 'head start' on next weeks game plan.

??????
I’d have the offense and defense work on the basics this week, blocking, footwork, route running, tackling, etc and worry about the next opponent next week.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

thefrank1

Post by thefrank1 » Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:08 pm

100% on our offense this week. Next week prep for the opponent ahead of us.

While registering my vehicles the assessor stated "I have had both Cat and Griz students and alums work for me and the Griz end up working under the direction of the Cats."

thefrank1

Post by thefrank1 » Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:08 pm

100% on our offense this week. Next week prep for the opponent ahead of us.

While registering my vehicles the assessor stated "I have had both Cat and Griz students and alums work for me and the Griz end up working under the direction of the Cats."

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by kennethnoisewater » Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:11 pm

The MICKSTER wrote:
So here's a ?.....

??????
I guess that's the beauty of the bye week. This week MSU can focus on getting healthy and getting better. Maybe spend a little bit of time on something from each possible opponent. Then you have the entire week to prepare for a specific opponent. And that's an opponent who has about 6 days to heal, rest, get better, prepare for a specific opponent, and travel at least 1,000 miles to Bozeman.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:11 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:07 pm
The MICKSTER wrote:
So here's a ?.....

??????
I’d have the offense and defense work on the basics this week, blocking, footwork, route running, tackling, etc and worry about the next opponent next week.

…and find a special teams coach and put a LOT of work into that area too.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:11 pm

The MICKSTER wrote:
So here's a ?.....

??????
Do teams with byes usually game plan for the second round before the first round game is complete? I assume this week is self-scouting and general fundamentals practice rather than game prep. Maybe on Friday they start looking at the two opponents but before then I think they'll have enough to work on internally.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

Camo_Cat

Post by Camo_Cat » Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:31 pm

The MICKSTER wrote:
So here's a ?.....

??????
There is plenty enough work that needs to be done correcting the offensive woes. Working on fundamentals, McKay's confidence/ability to read the RPOs better, and add a couple new wrinkles. Doesn't matter who our opponent is if we can't even properly execute our current game plan. In addition, get healthy. Give some guys a breather; refresh/recharge.

"I love Bozeman. I love these people. I love the Cats. I even love this weather. You think I'm gonna pick Missoula? You're crazy - gimme the Cat head!!" -- Lee Corso, ESPN GameDay

utucats
Member # Retired

Post by utucats » Mon Nov 22, 2021 4:07 pm

This week should be 100% about prepping our new starting QB for the playoffs. If we aren’t doing that we aren’t going far.

WalkOn79

Post by WalkOn79 » Mon Nov 22, 2021 4:39 pm

QBC cancelled for tonight. Is that typical after Cat/Griz? It's my first year so I truly don't know.

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

kennethnoisewater

Post by kennethnoisewater » Mon Nov 22, 2021 4:46 pm

WalkOn79 wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 4:39 pm
QBC cancelled for tonight. Is that typical after Cat/Griz? It's my first year so I truly don't know.
I can't remember what happened two years ago, but this is similar to the bye week earlier in the season. Don't have a QBC meeting if there's not a game. If I were Vigen I wouldn't want to have the meeting either haha.

WalkOn79

Post by WalkOn79 » Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:00 pm

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 4:46 pm
WalkOn79 wrote:
I can't remember what happened two years ago, but this is similar to the bye week earlier in the season. Don't have a QBC meeting if there's not a game. If I were Vigen I wouldn't want to have the meeting either haha.
We had a meeting before the bye week, not after though. No game film to go over.

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:16 pm

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 4:46 pm
WalkOn79 wrote:
Haha, yeah, remember way back in early November of two thousand, twenty and one when everyone thought Vigen was the next logical step after Choate, who was only going to get MSU so far?

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

JimboCat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by JimboCat » Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:23 pm