Let's talk offense.

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Re: Let's talk offense.

Post by Hawks86 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:13 pm

I'm going to steal the R&R Cat Cast guys observation. Go back to having fun.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:21 pm

Well, I’m having fun. Bye weeks always lead to some really great discussions. But — it’s Thanksgiving and one thing I am truly thankful for is that we have enough posters to make this board be alive. I’m always surprised on the rare occasions when I check in to our opponents’ boards and find next to nothing. The discussions we have wouldn’t occur in the vacuums they have. I’ve learned a lot about football (and life, I suppose) here, and I thank each and every one for taking the time to interact.

Happy Thanksgiving, Bobcat Nation! 💙 💛 😺

bobcatfan123
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by bobcatfan123 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:32 pm

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:21 pm
Well, I’m having fun. Bye weeks always lead to some really great discussions. But — it’s Thanksgiving and one thing I am truly thankful for is that we have enough posters to make this board be alive. I’m always surprised on the rare occasions when I check in to our opponents’ boards and find next to nothing. The discussions we have wouldn’t occur in the vacuums they have. I’ve learned a lot about football (and life, I suppose) here, and I thank each and every one for taking the time to interact.

Very true and well said.

RockyBearCat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by RockyBearCat » Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:41 pm

Bobcat4Ever wrote:

Back at ya, and I echo, Happy Thanksgiving to all! Go Cats

rivercat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by rivercat » Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:25 pm

RockyBearCat wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:41 pm
Bobcat4Ever wrote:

Back at ya, and I echo, Happy Thanksgiving to all! Go Cats
That is a really great take Bobcat4Ever. Thank you and thanks Bobcat Nation for caring and supporting this great University.

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

catsack
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by catsack » Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:29 am

Bear Spray II wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:21 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:56 am
Offense? There's not much to talk about. Neither team was very good on offense. UM had one good play. MSU had one good, meaningless drive, which was the most impressive scoring drive of the game. If that doesn't say it all right there.

MSU was either weak at QB, OL or OC. UM was okay at QB, but the rest of their offense was just as bad, even worse in some areas, than MSU's.

Just an all-around ugly, sloppy game. Neither team deserved to win, offensively.

Two of three TDs were just flukes. The other was at garbage time. One FG bounced over the crossbar, the others were set up by short drives with one being a negative yardage drive.
This. 2 outstanding defenses, there's is a little better than I thought. MT rushed for 56. 56 ain't gonna get it done in the playoffs. They passed for 237 - 74 on the first pass. Take away that 1 play and the fake field goal disaster & you have a 15 - 10 game, and the ugly one we expected. Don't get me wrong, UM's a good team & deserved the win, but it wasn't as bad as you may think. Our O line has to step it up. Our game plan has to adjust as well - we can't expect to go far in the playoffs running up the middle all day & hoping the D can keep the game in hand. We have to go out there and play to win, which starts with the OC designing a game plan to exploit the D & spread it out. My 10 cents,
And the cats had a whopping 122 yards prior to the last series!
To end the game with 204 yards

Bear Spray II
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Bear Spray II » Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:39 am

catsack wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:29 am
Bear Spray II wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:21 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:56 am
Offense? There's not much to talk about. Neither team was very good on offense. UM had one good play. MSU had one good, meaningless drive, which was the most impressive scoring drive of the game. If that doesn't say it all right there.

MSU was either weak at QB, OL or OC. UM was okay at QB, but the rest of their offense was just as bad, even worse in some areas, than MSU's.

Just an all-around ugly, sloppy game. Neither team deserved to win, offensively.

Two of three TDs were just flukes. The other was at garbage time. One FG bounced over the crossbar, the others were set up by short drives with one being a negative yardage drive.
This. 2 outstanding defenses, there's is a little better than I thought. MT rushed for 56. 56 ain't gonna get it done in the playoffs. They passed for 237 - 74 on the first pass. Take away that 1 play and the fake field goal disaster & you have a 15 - 10 game, and the ugly one we expected. Don't get me wrong, UM's a good team & deserved the win, but it wasn't as bad as you may think. Our O line has to step it up. Our game plan has to adjust as well - we can't expect to go far in the playoffs running up the middle all day & hoping the D can keep the game in hand. We have to go out there and play to win, which starts with the OC designing a game plan to exploit the D & spread it out. My 10 cents,
And the cats had a whopping 122 yards prior to the last series!
To end the game with 204 yards
Agreed. I don't know if the griz d softened it's scheme, played their 3rd string, or if they were drinking on the field - by that time I'd stopped scrutinizing. I heard we scored on a pass play to a tight end on the last drive- imagine that! A completed pass....to a tight end.....are ya listening Vigen??

utucats
Member # Retired

Post by utucats » Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:42 am

Hawks86 wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:13 pm
I'm going to steal the R&R Cat Cast guys observation. Go back to having fun.
Well winning is fun so that’s a good start.

If our offense is being planned to avoid mistakes, that isn’t fun. We have to be smart but can’t be afraid to execute. I say loosen the reigns a bit and let these kids play!

WalkOn79
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by WalkOn79 » Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:45 am

Slackjaw wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:37 pm
It seems to me that we just have collection of dis-jointed plays. IZ, deep fades, some stop, and out routes outside the hashes, and Tommy Mellot keeps. Serious question, can anybody tell me what kind of "system" we run? I figured we see a lot more RPO type slants/throws when I first watched all the zone reads we were running, but that never developed. I honestly don't know how to describe our offense in terms of system.

We run up the middle and then throw it up outside the hashes. It's like a kindergartener drew it up with an etch a sketch.
That’s what I’m seeing too.

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz