Put in Rovig

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Sohedges
BobcatNation Redshirt

Re: Put in Rovig

Post by Sohedges » Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:26 pm

thefrank1 wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:01 pm
Possibly the talent at D1 is a little better than MT AA and he isn't ready yet.
Remember when that same dumbass provincial thinking decided that because Troy played qb for class A Dillon, he couldn’t possibly play quarterback for the Cats? What could have and should have been Troy as a 4 year starter at Qb. Where would the program be now. Lol

killinthegriz4
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by killinthegriz4 » Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:29 pm

If there was talk to put in Rovig in 2nd half and the offense came out just as bad...and NO coaching changes were done, means we don't have an OC with any spine or awareness and needs to go. Any other school in the Big Sky makes those changes easily.

Even if they do make a change, they'll put in McKay on every 3rd and 6 or more.

THE DEFINITION OF CRAZY IS WHEN YOU DO THE SAME THING AND EXPECT A DIFFERENT RESULT. So after Cat-Griz, we can call some coaches CRAZY.

utucats
Member # Retired

Post by utucats » Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:34 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:25 pm
utucats wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:58 pm
BleedingBLue wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:50 pm
Dmsubrew wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:42 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:22 pm
BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:46 pm

If Mellott is QB1 for the playoffs I'm ****** done with Vigen. Any coach should know that an effective passing game is essential in the playoffs. Completely giving up on the passing game is dumb. I saw enough non-throwing quarterbacks under Choate and I'm sick of it.

So no backup plan here? What happens if Mellott goes off for 86 or 132 passing, for 1,048 yards, 9 TDs and 1 INT over four games in the playoffs? :wink:
Well, then mellott gets offensive mvp of the fcs and we prob fire all of our coaches for inablitlity to see talent until the second week of the playoffs. That's my guess
I believe Montanabob and utucats would then be hired as Co head coaches as well.
First decision, offer Choate assistant head coach!

Seriously, Mellot was a great QB in high school. Not sure where the idea he can’t throw the ball came from?
I don’t necessarily disagree, however, I don’t think you can use montana high school success as a barometer. These are the top 10 all time best seasons in terms of total yards in Montana football. Only one of these had a successful fcs (I-AA) career at QB.

5011 Dallas Cook
4497 Dallas Cook
4425 Tanner Roderick
4239 Braden Larsen
3909 Brady McChesney
3772 Mark Desin
3728 Mark Desin
3480 Max Feight
3444 Dylan Cook
3331 Dave Dickenson
Great point. I’m certainly no expert on many names on this list but did they have the wheels Mellot has? Just that alone I think makes him successful coming out of high school. We’ve already seen that.

My point is simply that anyone saying he can’t throw is basing that off of nothing more than he reminds them of Troy when he comes in. He hasn’t had much opportunity and his past would suggest that he could be a good throwing QB.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:43 pm

utucats wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:34 pm
wbtfg wrote:
utucats wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
Dmsubrew wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:

If Mellott is QB1 for the playoffs I'm ****** done with Vigen. Any coach should know that an effective passing game is essential in the playoffs. Completely giving up on the passing game is dumb. I saw enough non-throwing quarterbacks under Choate and I'm sick of it.

So no backup plan here? What happens if Mellott goes off for 86 or 132 passing, for 1,048 yards, 9 TDs and 1 INT over four games in the playoffs? :wink:
Well, then mellott gets offensive mvp of the fcs and we prob fire all of our coaches for inablitlity to see talent until the second week of the playoffs. That's my guess
I believe Montanabob and utucats would then be hired as Co head coaches as well.

Seriously, Mellot was a great QB in high school. Not sure where the idea he can’t throw the ball came from?
I don’t necessarily disagree, however, I don’t think you can use montana high school success as a barometer. These are the top 10 all time best seasons in terms of total yards in Montana football. Only one of these had a successful fcs (I-AA) career at QB.

5011 Dallas Cook
4497 Dallas Cook
4425 Tanner Roderick
4239 Braden Larsen
3909 Brady McChesney
3772 Mark Desin
3728 Mark Desin
3480 Max Feight
3444 Dylan Cook
3331 Dave Dickenson
Great point. I’m certainly no expert on many names on this list but did they have the wheels Mellot has? Just that alone I think makes him successful coming out of high school. We’ve already seen that.

My point is simply that anyone saying he can’t throw is basing that off of nothing more than he reminds them of Troy when he comes in. He hasn’t had much opportunity and his past would suggest that he could be a good throwing QB.
I would say Roderick could run with Tommy.

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:34 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
Dmsubrew wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:

Fine with me, just as long as I have a good buy out after the first year.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:50 pm

utucats wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:34 pm
wbtfg wrote:
utucats wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
Dmsubrew wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:

5011 Dallas Cook
4497 Dallas Cook
4425 Tanner Roderick
4239 Braden Larsen
3909 Brady McChesney
3772 Mark Desin
3728 Mark Desin
3480 Max Feight
3444 Dylan Cook
3331 Dave Dickenson

“Could be” being the operative term. We also know that McKay or Rovig also CAN BE at least average passers in the Big Sky-which is actually a REALLY high bar when you consider that HS studs like Roderick, Desin, and McChesney (also Jake Bleskin, Iddins, & a host of others) couldn’t ever make the field. Even Travis Jonsen, a 4 star recruit at Oregon, was so awful in practice that the coaches decided to sacrifice their best defensive player to do a half ***ed job at QB.

Did you watch Kris Brown (another stud) try to play QB for the Griz as a freshman?

Playing QB at this level is REALLY tough. I have no idea, and I’m pretty sure no one else on this board knows, if Mellot can or can’t currently do the ‘average’ QB things that are expected to start at QB.

Chris Murray had absurd wheels too…but he was a terrible passer as a freshman. Barely better as a sophomore.

At this point there’s literally zero reason for any fans to think that Mellot is ready to come in and throw 25 passes for 250 yards.

Lord Vigo
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Lord Vigo » Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:38 pm

If he took over or played the majority of the snaps, I would expect very little in the passing game.

However, I’m still surprised to read someone say they’d be upset even if he came in and got the offense back to scoring points.

I agree that we don’t want to be one dimensional forevermore, but it’s the playoffs. Do what you need to do to put up points now so that you can survive and advance.

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:51 pm

Lord Vigo wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:38 pm
If he took over or played the majority of the snaps, I would expect very little in the passing game.

However, I’m still surprised to read someone say they’d be upset even if he came in and got the offense back to scoring points.

I agree that we don’t want to be one dimensional forevermore, but it’s the playoffs. Do what you need to do to put up points now so that you can survive and advance.
If the staff decides Mellot is ready to play & he puts up 300 yards passing & 40 points on UTM…I’m all in on the Tommy Mellot show.

But my gut check is that BB&G is closer to reality on this one.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:18 pm

For Tommy to be a good BSC QB it will be all about decision making, which we haven't seen in the passing game yet. His 1 deep ball to McCutcheon was actually the right decision, just slightly under thrown.

He most definitely has the arm, and the legs to be a formidable dual threat, but it's all about the decisions. Not a lot of true freshman are ready in that department, especially at the FCS level. I'd be wiling to bet no matter how much he plays Saturday, he'll throw more than normal.

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:38 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:18 pm
For Tommy to be a good BSC QB it will be all about decision making, which we haven't seen in the passing game yet. His 1 deep ball to McCutcheon was actually the right decision, just slightly under thrown.

He most definitely has the arm, and the legs to be a formidable dual threat, but it's all about the decisions. Not a lot of true freshman are ready in that department, especially at the FCS level. I'd be wiling to bet no matter how much he plays Saturday, he'll throw more than normal.
+1

There are 125 football teams in FCS. TM today is likely a starter on at least 50 of them, including every single FCS team that the Cats have played this year except PSU, EWU, and UM. Hell, if Weber has TM, they probably salvage their season with a 7-4 record and a trip to the playoffs.

But MSU isn't competing with the likes of Cal Poly or Drake. We are competing with the likes of Cole Johnson, Jason Shelley, Cole Kelly, Cameron Ward, Eric Barriere, Davis Alexander, etc.

Its just really rare for a freshman to be that ready.
Last edited by onceacat on Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:39 pm

Sohedges wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:26 pm
thefrank1 wrote:
Remember when that same dumbass provincial thinking decided that because Troy played qb for class A Dillon, he couldn’t possibly play quarterback for the Cats? What could have and should have been Troy as a 4 year starter at Qb. Where would the program be now. Lol
Poes law...no one can ever tell if you are being sarcastic on the internet.

Hope you are being sarcastic.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:50 pm

Lulay and McGhee both started for MSU earlier in their careers. McGhee played on a run heavy team in HS.

This has been a fun development to watch unfold. Just a few months ago Thelen was considered by many posters on here to be the best quarterback and Mellott was going to be a safety.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Post by CatBlitz » Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:17 am

Sohedges wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:26 pm
thefrank1 wrote:
Troy is a great football player at a lot of positions. If you think Troy is the QB everyone wants Rovig or McKay to be, you haven't been paying attention.
You're assuming a lot because he can make plays with his legs and happens to line up as a "QB" on occasion.

Don't let this distract you from the fact that the griz blew a 22-0 lead.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:51 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:50 pm
Lulay and McGhee both started for MSU earlier in their careers. McGhee played on a run heavy team in HS.

This has been a fun development to watch unfold. Just a few months ago Thelen was considered by many posters on here to be the best quarterback and Mellott was going to be a safety.
Just speaking for myself, I liked Thelen a lot. I'm not one who said he was the best quarterback, but he absolutely was the best passer on the roster in the last Spring game, and I still stand by that.
Hated to see him leave.

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:30 am

91catAlum wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:51 am
TomCat88 wrote:

Just speaking for myself, I liked Thelen a lot. I'm not one who said he was the best quarterback, but he absolutely was the best passer on the roster in the last Spring game, and I still stand by that.
Hated to see him leave.
There was no question that McGhee was a great passer from the first moment he stepped on the field. Lulay replaced the other QB because the entire offense was underperforming.

So is Mellot more like Chris Murray/Troy Andersen? Or more
Ike McGhee/Lulay?

I don’t think anyone on this board knows that.

spring creek cat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by spring creek cat » Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:47 am

This whole topic is interesting to me. It’s the same topic we’ve had for four years. Which is extremely frustrating. I was one person that wasn’t exactly excited about Rovig at quarterback, but thought he was serviceable. I was also very excited to see McKay enter the competition, I’m also a person that is extremely disappointed in the quarterback that he has developed into. That is mostly because of my expectations of what I thought he would be coming from an fbs school. As we all know from past experience just because they’re a drop-down does not mean they’re going to tear up the FCS. I was hoping that McKay would be a more athletic and accurate passer than he is, But he is actually just a less confident version of Rovig. Lots of fade routes and one read passes! I am actually not even convinced he’s more athletic than Rovig, he just looks the part. I am not sure am not sure now is the time to just hand the spot to TM, but if we are going to keep playing him his role needs to be expanded. I am not sure he is 100% ready to run the whole offense right now, but I don’t get to see how he is in practice running the offense and if he understands the passing game. But the future with him is interesting.
The next question I have for the quarterback room is it because of the guys we have in there or because of the coaching they are getting this year? Are we putting them in the best chance to be successful? To me it looks like our coaching staff has zero faith in our quarterback position. What little coaching I have done at the high school level I know when I have lost confidence in a player in a position you start messing with it and toying with it and running different formations in place to hide it. To me it appears that is what has happened and that is why our playcalling has become so bland and vanilla. It’s very frustrating to me that the coaching staff couldn’t figure that out sooner and has no solutions as it appears at the moment. I am both anxious and nervous about what kind of offense we will se this weekend, I am really hoping we see some adjustments and some healthy players to help out.

Lord Vigo

Post by Lord Vigo » Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:24 am

onceacat wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:51 pm
Lord Vigo wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:38 pm

If the staff decides Mellot is ready to play & he puts up 300 yards passing & 40 points on UTM…I’m all in on the Tommy Mellot show.

But my gut check is that BB&G is closer to reality on this one.
Oh I agree with him that if Mellott is the primary QB, the passing game won't produce much at all.

But I would much rather watch a one dimensional offense that moves the ball and scores points than a lousy offensive showing that's theoretically two dimensional.

So I find it surprising to me that if they made the switch and it worked, someone would still be ticked at the coaches because of the style of offense. That makes very little sense to me.

Lord Vigo

Post by Lord Vigo » Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:25 am

onceacat wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:30 am
91catAlum wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:51 am
TomCat88 wrote:

Hated to see him leave.
There was no question that McGhee was a great passer from the first moment he stepped on the field. Lulay replaced the other QB because the entire offense was underperforming.

So is Mellot more like Chris Murray/Troy Andersen? Or more
Ike McGhee/Lulay?

I don’t think anyone on this board knows that.
No, but I think the smart money is certainly on Chris Murray/Troy Andersen.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:20 pm

spring creek cat wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:47 am
This whole topic is interesting to me. It’s the same topic we’ve had for four years. Which is extremely frustrating. I was one person that wasn’t exactly excited about Rovig at quarterback, but thought he was serviceable. I was also very excited to see McKay enter the competition, I’m also a person that is extremely disappointed in the quarterback that he has developed into. That is mostly because of my expectations of what I thought he would be coming from an fbs school. As we all know from past experience just because they’re a drop-down does not mean they’re going to tear up the FCS. I was hoping that McKay would be a more athletic and accurate passer than he is, But he is actually just a less confident version of Rovig. Lots of fade routes and one read passes! I am actually not even convinced he’s more athletic than Rovig, he just looks the part. I am not sure am not sure now is the time to just hand the spot to TM, but if we are going to keep playing him his role needs to be expanded. I am not sure he is 100% ready to run the whole offense right now, but I don’t get to see how he is in practice running the offense and if he understands the passing game. But the future with him is interesting.
The next question I have for the quarterback room is it because of the guys we have in there or because of the coaching they are getting this year? Are we putting them in the best chance to be successful? To me it looks like our coaching staff has zero faith in our quarterback position. What little coaching I have done at the high school level I know when I have lost confidence in a player in a position you start messing with it and toying with it and running different formations in place to hide it. To me it appears that is what has happened and that is why our playcalling has become so bland and vanilla. It’s very frustrating to me that the coaching staff couldn’t figure that out sooner and has no solutions as it appears at the moment. I am both anxious and nervous about what kind of offense we will se this weekend, I am really hoping we see some adjustments and some healthy players to help out.
If you're not convinced that McKay is more athletic than Rovig, after McKay's 55 yard TD run at eastern, then I don't know what to tell you. Its pretty obvious.

Lord Vigo

Post by Lord Vigo » Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:43 pm

91catAlum wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:20 pm
spring creek cat wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:47 am
If you're not convinced that McKay is more athletic than Rovig, after McKay's 55 yard TD run at eastern, then I don't know what to tell you. Its pretty obvious.
He's way more athletic. He doesn't use his athleticism all that well, but he is certainly way more athletic.