Put in Rovig

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Re: Put in Rovig

Post by technoCat » Mon Nov 22, 2021 4:48 pm

iaafan wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 3:59 pm
luckyirishguy25 wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 3:43 pm
BleedingBLue wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 3:31 pm
utucats wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 3:05 pm
BleedingBLue wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:50 am
exppi wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:44 am
catgrad05 wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 11:44 pm
mslacatfan wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 2:58 pm
Can Rovig throw and complete a quick pass over the middle when the entire defense is blitzing?

If yes, then put him in.
He can read a second option. McKay left his previous school because he’s a quitter. Rovig is a captain on the bench and won big games. Kick the new guy out and put in a winner and if not send Wyoming boy back and bring Choate back
For all the issues Rovig has had in games, their is one positive he owns clearly. Being a leader.
Not too long ago many people on here said the team didn't respect the young man and he wasn't a good leader. Glad that isn't yhe case anymore. He's done so much for this program and is a good guy.
Did people really say they didn’t respect Rovig or that he was a bad leader? I questioned him being the right guy but I wouldn’t go that far.

I’m not saying that I’m excited about Rovig but at this point we need a change. I’d be happy with anything different. At least it shows an ability to try something other than this same old unproductive offense.
I recall some posts in 2018 and even 2019 when people wanted him out, saying things like he wasn't respected by the team, wasn't a good leader, didn't have the right attitude etc. I don't remember who made any of the posts though. I wish I could remember who posted one about him being more worried about his social life, because he had a live in girlfriend, than the team (who is now his wife). There was something about how he never even hangs out with the team and is a home body as well.

I've always had a lot of respect for the young man. He's done whatever the coaches have asked of him, fought through some adversity and led the team to the semis. He's taken a whole lot of heat on here, some of it warranted, but he's still here and clearly loves this team. He is as excited as anyone all game every game, at least at home, even though he's not playing. He interacts with McKay and tries to help him, encourages him and everyone else all game long and is having fun. I'd love for him to get back out there and lead the team on the field.
Fact of matter is SOMEONE needs to lead this team. Whether it be Casey, Tucker, Tommy or Troy someone has to step up. I wish McKay was the guy we were hoping for but it's painfully obvious he's not. To make matters worse Housewright is doing no one favors with his play calling. I should not be able to watch our guys line up and have a 90% certainty of what play is coming. ****** if I can do it, you know every coach in the Big Sky knows exactly what play we're running every down.
Quit acting like Rovig did something significant as a player. It's not like he was out there guiding the offense. In fact he didn't even receive all the snaps directly. His job was to hand the ball off and make a throw when 8-9 guys were in the box. Newsflash: McKay is better at doing these things than Rovig. Nothing against Rovig, he's a good guy and the players respect him as a team first guy. That isn't what MSU needs right now. It needs something that will change the pace, as in faster/steadier, not slower/disjointier. Someone or something dynamic needs to be injected into the offense. MSU has the same problem right now that Choate had for four years.
This was a HUGE problem against the Griz. When pressure came, McKay either whipped the ball out to a comeback route but threw it 4 yards short, or he threw it out of bounds over McCutcheon's head. Maybe he is better than Rovig when he has all day but at least Rovig would look over the middle from time to time and could hit a quick slant.

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Mon Nov 22, 2021 4:56 pm

technoCat wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 4:48 pm
iaafan wrote:
luckyirishguy25 wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
utucats wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
exppi wrote:
catgrad05 wrote:
mslacatfan wrote:
Can Rovig throw and complete a quick pass over the middle when the entire defense is blitzing?

If yes, then put him in.
He can read a second option. McKay left his previous school because he’s a quitter. Rovig is a captain on the bench and won big games. Kick the new guy out and put in a winner and if not send Wyoming boy back and bring Choate back
For all the issues Rovig has had in games, their is one positive he owns clearly. Being a leader.
Not too long ago many people on here said the team didn't respect the young man and he wasn't a good leader. Glad that isn't yhe case anymore. He's done so much for this program and is a good guy.
Did people really say they didn’t respect Rovig or that he was a bad leader? I questioned him being the right guy but I wouldn’t go that far.

I’m not saying that I’m excited about Rovig but at this point we need a change. I’d be happy with anything different. At least it shows an ability to try something other than this same old unproductive offense.
I recall some posts in 2018 and even 2019 when people wanted him out, saying things like he wasn't respected by the team, wasn't a good leader, didn't have the right attitude etc. I don't remember who made any of the posts though. I wish I could remember who posted one about him being more worried about his social life, because he had a live in girlfriend, than the team (who is now his wife). There was something about how he never even hangs out with the team and is a home body as well.

I've always had a lot of respect for the young man. He's done whatever the coaches have asked of him, fought through some adversity and led the team to the semis. He's taken a whole lot of heat on here, some of it warranted, but he's still here and clearly loves this team. He is as excited as anyone all game every game, at least at home, even though he's not playing. He interacts with McKay and tries to help him, encourages him and everyone else all game long and is having fun. I'd love for him to get back out there and lead the team on the field.
Fact of matter is SOMEONE needs to lead this team. Whether it be Casey, Tucker, Tommy or Troy someone has to step up. I wish McKay was the guy we were hoping for but it's painfully obvious he's not. To make matters worse Housewright is doing no one favors with his play calling. I should not be able to watch our guys line up and have a 90% certainty of what play is coming. ****** if I can do it, you know every coach in the Big Sky knows exactly what play we're running every down.
Quit acting like Rovig did something significant as a player. It's not like he was out there guiding the offense. In fact he didn't even receive all the snaps directly. His job was to hand the ball off and make a throw when 8-9 guys were in the box. Newsflash: McKay is better at doing these things than Rovig. Nothing against Rovig, he's a good guy and the players respect him as a team first guy. That isn't what MSU needs right now. It needs something that will change the pace, as in faster/steadier, not slower/disjointier. Someone or something dynamic needs to be injected into the offense. MSU has the same problem right now that Choate had for four years.
This was a HUGE problem against the Griz. When pressure came, McKay either whipped the ball out to a comeback route but threw it 4 yards short, or he threw it out of bounds over McCutcheon's head. Maybe he is better than Rovig when he has all day but at least Rovig would look over the middle from time to time and could hit a quick slant.
You’re revising history. Rovig threw two pick 6s at least last year among other miscues. If McKay was in Miller’s offense he’d out perform Rovig.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:23 pm

iaafan wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 4:56 pm
technoCat wrote:
iaafan wrote:
luckyirishguy25 wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
utucats wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
exppi wrote:
catgrad05 wrote:
mslacatfan wrote:

If yes, then put him in.

You’re revising history. Rovig threw two pick 6s at least last year among other miscues. If McKay was in Miller’s offense he’d out perform Rovig.
You're acting like history supports your argument. Both Rovig's pick 6s were on rollouts where the LB coming at him batted the ball or caught it and ran it back. That has nothing to do with anything TechnoCat said. The dude also hangs in the pocket and will take a hit to make a throw. He's not running backwards trying to make an accurate throw. Also McKay threw a ball straight to a LB against EWU I think and was lucky all he did was knock it down. Should have had a pick 6 against Idaho as well and got lucky the DB can't catch.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:16 pm

Pretty simple. Just start whichever QB had the best high school team and has a really good off-season QB coach.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:18 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:23 pm
iaafan wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 4:56 pm
technoCat wrote:
iaafan wrote:
luckyirishguy25 wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
utucats wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
exppi wrote:
catgrad05 wrote:

You're acting like history supports your argument. Both Rovig's pick 6s were on rollouts where the LB coming at him batted the ball or caught it and ran it back. That has nothing to do with anything TechnoCat said. The dude also hangs in the pocket and will take a hit to make a throw. He's not running backwards trying to make an accurate throw. Also McKay threw a ball straight to a LB against EWU I think and was lucky all he did was knock it down. Should have had a pick 6 against Idaho as well and got lucky the DB can't catch.
The Hater-Ade is flowing freely on Bobcatnation more than 48 hours after losing. Good job fellas!

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

thefrank1
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by thefrank1 » Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:45 pm

We arrived in the fifth year of Choate recruited players with the same strengths and weaknesses. Strong defense and weak QB play

While registering my vehicles the assessor stated "I have had both Cat and Griz students and alums work for me and the Griz end up working under the direction of the Cats."

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:14 pm

thefrank1 wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:45 pm
We arrived in the fifth year of Choate recruited players with the same strengths and weaknesses. Strong defense and weak QB play
This is important for people to remember. When Vigen was hired we'd already gone through the HS recruiting cycle and a lot of the transfers were picked up as well. I think he brought in a couple new guys to fall camp but that's it. This is essentially a Choate team coached by a staff with a slightly different philosophy. Saturday was ugly on the offensive end but as a whole we should be proud of the way this team fought to a 9-2 record. They won 9 straight games after having the Wyoming game taken away from them. Who realistically saw that coming with a new staff?

That said, Vigen/Housewright need to spend this week figuring out what they can do differently to get the most out of all the pieces they have on offense. If that includes switching to Rovig then do it without hesitation. It might require bringing in a transfer QB for 2022 but that's next year's problem.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:04 am

coloradocat wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:14 pm
thefrank1 wrote:
This is important for people to remember. When Vigen was hired we'd already gone through the HS recruiting cycle and a lot of the transfers were picked up as well. I think he brought in a couple new guys to fall camp but that's it. This is essentially a Choate team coached by a staff with a slightly different philosophy. Saturday was ugly on the offensive end but as a whole we should be proud of the way this team fought to a 9-2 record. They won 9 straight games after having the Wyoming game taken away from them. Who realistically saw that coming with a new staff?

That said, Vigen/Housewright need to spend this week figuring out what they can do differently to get the most out of all the pieces they have on offense. If that includes switching to Rovig then do it without hesitation. It might require bringing in a transfer QB for 2022 but that's next year's problem.
Vigen is a better coach than Choate. Miller is a better coach than Housewright at this point. With the exception of Andersen getting hurt, MSU caught a lot of breaks late last season. The Grizzlies came to Bozeman with Akem out, Sulser out, Dalton gimpy. Their inability to sustain any drives due in large part to those injuries made that game a blowout. Albany was not a good team. Austin Peay was not a good team. This year MSU has caught no breaks. Five toughest games on the road, yet they go 3-2. Choate never had a regular season like that. MSU had a four-game stretch where it was running on vapors in 2019. Got taken to OT by a below average Cal Poly, fell way behind NAU at home, got crushed by SAC at home, then crapped the bed at UND. That season probably would've been lost if they lost to CP or NAU. They were able to right the ship with a couple cream puff games against SUU and UNC.

This year's playoffs are already less favorable than 2019 with the solid likelihood of having to play Missouri State (the #2 team in the MVFC, which tells me they're probably better than us and we'll probably lose even if McKay or Rovig throws for 300 yards and 3 TDs) the first game instead of Albany; IF they win that then it's on the road to #1 SHSU, not home against APU. Vigen took over a team that hadn't played in two years and had a better regular season than his predecesor had in his fourth year. Even if you throw out the TTech game, this year's schedule was tougher and MSU had the same record. Choate caught a huge break when APU beat SAC. Instead of playing APU at home we would've had to go to SAC. If we had to go there, we probably lose because we traditionally have a hard time winning there and that's when SAC isn't good. They already beat us at home. They got to the semi-finals, but they got a lot of help.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:49 am

iaafan wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:04 am
coloradocat wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:14 pm
thefrank1 wrote:

Vigen is a better coach than Choate. Miller is a better coach than Housewright at this point. With the exception of Andersen getting hurt, MSU caught a lot of breaks late last season. The Grizzlies came to Bozeman with Akem out, Sulser out, Dalton gimpy. Their inability to sustain any drives due in large part to those injuries made that game a blowout. Albany was not a good team. Austin Peay was not a good team. This year MSU has caught no breaks. Five toughest games on the road, yet they go 3-2. Choate never had a regular season like that. MSU had a four-game stretch where it was running on vapors in 2019. Got taken to OT by a below average Cal Poly, fell way behind NAU at home, got crushed by SAC at home, then crapped the bed at UND. That season probably would've been lost if they lost to CP or NAU. They were able to right the ship with a couple cream puff games against SUU and UNC.

This year's playoffs are already less favorable than 2019 with the solid likelihood of having to play Missouri State (the #2 team in the MVFC, which tells me they're probably better than us and we'll probably lose even if McKay or Rovig throws for 300 yards and 3 TDs) the first game instead of Albany; IF they win that then it's on the road to #1 SHSU, not home against APU. Vigen took over a team that hadn't played in two years and had a better regular season than his predecesor had in his fourth year. Even if you throw out the TTech game, this year's schedule was tougher and MSU had the same record. Choate caught a huge break when APU beat SAC. Instead of playing APU at home we would've had to go to SAC. If we had to go there, we probably lose because we traditionally have a hard time winning there and that's when SAC isn't good. They already beat us at home. They got to the semi-finals, but they got a lot of help.
Well those are somewhat Debby Downer takes! We'll probably lose to MSU because they're the #2 team in the MVFC, even if our QB throws for 300 and 3 TDs... with our defense? I'd take that bet for $1,000. Anyway, they'll probably be somewhat tired and worn down, Cats have some extra time to get rested, healed up, and absolutely need to figure out some things on offense. Oh, and we get to play at home where the fans are going to be rowdy and we have a perfect record this year. If we don't see significant improvement on our offensive execution, I'd see a low scoring brawl and a squeaker win for the Cats... and then Cats go on to lose at SHSU assuming they win (no gimmie). If we get some things going on offense and find some QB confidence, wherever that comes from - we beat MSU handily and then have a decent shot at SHSU. People need to remember this Cat defense is one of the best in the country.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

Sohedges
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Sohedges » Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:09 am

I just heard that Mellot got promoted to starter (5days too late) McKay is now his back up. Anyone have any intel on this development?

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:16 am

Sohedges wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:09 am
I just heard that Mellot got promoted to starter (5days too late) McKay is now his back up. Anyone have any intel on this development?
Oooooh this will make for a fun thread! :suds:

Bozcat003
Member # Retired

Post by Bozcat003 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:16 am

Sohedges wrote:
Oh boy here we go -

Awfully bold strategy for playoffs - but I suppose if you’ll do it it would be when you have a bye week.

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:17 am

Sohedges wrote:
If you’re going to start a rumor maybe you should identify yourself. Otherwise you’re just a troll.

[media] [/media]

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:20 am

kwcat wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:17 am
Sohedges wrote:
If you’re going to start a rumor maybe you should identify yourself. Otherwise you’re just a troll.

[media] [/media]
Is this the new rule for everyone? Because I read countless rumors on this board all the time and only know a few of you in person.

I don't care about the rumors. Could be true. Could be false. Doesn't make a difference. If we're throwing out rules I'd prefer those that bash players and coaches should identify themselves first. :lol:

Bobcatsinmso
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by Bobcatsinmso » Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:21 am

Sohedges wrote:
I just heard California had a massive earthquake and Los Angeles is now under the pacific.... :roll:

Rovig is one play away from stepping in. Mellot plays because he is a damn good athlete, and a viable weapon which causes the opposition to prepare and defend against an alternative offense, which requires more effort, planning, and practice.

The State of Montana is Bobcat country.
missoula....still just 20 miles from Montana.
FTG

Sohedges
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Sohedges » Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:30 am

Bobcatsinmso wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:21 am
Sohedges wrote:
I just heard California had a massive earthquake and Los Angeles is now under the pacific.... :roll:

Rovig is one play away from stepping in. Mellot plays because he is a damn good athlete, and a viable weapon which causes the opposition to prepare and defend against an alternative offense, which requires more effort, planning, and practice.
If you say so, but I think he they should have made this move before the brawl.

Sohedges
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Sohedges » Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:37 am

kwcat wrote:
Sohedges wrote:

[media] [/media]
What do you want to know, where I heard this? (From the father of an offensive lineman who has been practicing with Mellot at 1 and McKay 2 all this week. I’m not a troll just like to keep up, you sound butthurt do you not want to know what is going on with this team, then don’t read posts. Go Tommy go cats.

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:40 am

Sohedges wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:30 am
Bobcatsinmso wrote:
Sohedges wrote:

We can all say we wish that would have happened but how do you bench a QB that has his team on a 9 game winning streak and hasn't cost his team a game?

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:42 am

Sohedges wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:37 am
kwcat wrote:
Sohedges wrote:

[media] [/media]
What do you want to know, where I heard this? (From the father of an offensive lineman who has been practicing with Mellot at 1 and McKay 2 all this week. I’m not a troll just like to keep up, you sound butthurt do you not want to know what is going on with this team, then don’t read posts. Go Tommy go cats.
Some guy named "Jesse" over on egriz who's been lobbying for Tommy all season ironically heard the exact same thing.... :-k

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:47 am

technoCat wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:40 am
Sohedges wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:30 am
Bobcatsinmso wrote:
Sohedges wrote:

We can all say we wish that would have happened but how do you bench a QB that has his team on a 9 game winning streak and hasn't cost his team a game?
The end of your sentence has been heavily debated in multiple threads. I'm not saying you're wrong but his performance, or lack thereof, is why a QB change is believable.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!