Put in Rovig

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Re: Put in Rovig

Post by PapaG » Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:56 pm

Sohedges wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:27 am
PapaG wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:32 pm
Lord Vigo wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:14 pm
Bozcat003 wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:12 pm
Sohedges wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:06 pm
Lord Vigo wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:56 pm
I don't know if it's true or not, but it would totally make sense to me.

People have rightly pointed out how bad all facets of the passing game were on Saturday, not just McKay. And they're right.

But McKay has also been dreadful whenever the running game isn't really effective. So two things can be true-- the OL and the receivers didn't play well AND McKay's play has been a problem (not "OR").

Hopefully, if true, this does not mean that Ifanse and Elliott aren't getting better. It could just be a move that Vigen thinks is best for the offense, but it could also be a move made to replace some rushing production from the backs that they anticipate losing.

If the backs are health and Mellott is the full time player, the potential in the running game is pretty exciting.
I agree, reminiscent of Troy playing QB, but I think Tommy has a better arm. This could be a game changer. Sure hope so.
And I know nothing - but I do think Mellott is the future at QB, which isn’t something I would’ve said in September. Big time first start if true.
Or at a minimum, if this actually happens, this is his audition to be the future.
Yes yes, put in a freshman at QB who has two passes in his playbook, both in mass protection, as an audition for next year when you have Benson/Hardy/O’Reilly/Andersen/Williams as seniors on defense.

Vigen loses that game by benching McKay and Mellot struggles, he loses the team and I’d question his judgment as a coach.

It won’t happen, and we’ll never see this 11 post guy again.

Seems like something that Mike dude who got banned from Missoula games would say in a post.
So you think you know how the team feels about who should be qb1? How do you know what it will take for Vigen to “lose”them? How do you know he hasn’t already lost them by starting McKay? Same o-lineman told me during fall camp that it was obvious to the team who should be starting and it wasn’t McKay, Rovig or Bauman. I want the cats to make a deep run in the playoffs and McKay doesn’t give them that opportunity the way he is playing. He has been regressing in my opinion and Tommy just keeps getting better and contributes more like he did in the Idaho game and yes the team does notice these things. That’s 13 posts now.
You claimed something you now know to be false and just had a epic meltdown post, Mike.

You made national news due to your bullying and misogyny.

Is maroonbloodWeirdo.com still a thing?

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

rivercat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by rivercat » Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:01 pm

PapaG wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:56 pm
Sohedges wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:27 am
PapaG wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:32 pm
Lord Vigo wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:14 pm
Bozcat003 wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:12 pm
Sohedges wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:06 pm
Lord Vigo wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:56 pm
I don't know if it's true or not, but it would totally make sense to me.

People have rightly pointed out how bad all facets of the passing game were on Saturday, not just McKay. And they're right.

But McKay has also been dreadful whenever the running game isn't really effective. So two things can be true-- the OL and the receivers didn't play well AND McKay's play has been a problem (not "OR").

Hopefully, if true, this does not mean that Ifanse and Elliott aren't getting better. It could just be a move that Vigen thinks is best for the offense, but it could also be a move made to replace some rushing production from the backs that they anticipate losing.

If the backs are health and Mellott is the full time player, the potential in the running game is pretty exciting.
I agree, reminiscent of Troy playing QB, but I think Tommy has a better arm. This could be a game changer. Sure hope so.
And I know nothing - but I do think Mellott is the future at QB, which isn’t something I would’ve said in September. Big time first start if true.
Or at a minimum, if this actually happens, this is his audition to be the future.
Yes yes, put in a freshman at QB who has two passes in his playbook, both in mass protection, as an audition for next year when you have Benson/Hardy/O’Reilly/Andersen/Williams as seniors on defense.

Vigen loses that game by benching McKay and Mellot struggles, he loses the team and I’d question his judgment as a coach.

It won’t happen, and we’ll never see this 11 post guy again.

Seems like something that Mike dude who got banned from Missoula games would say in a post.
So you think you know how the team feels about who should be qb1? How do you know what it will take for Vigen to “lose”them? How do you know he hasn’t already lost them by starting McKay? Same o-lineman told me during fall camp that it was obvious to the team who should be starting and it wasn’t McKay, Rovig or Bauman. I want the cats to make a deep run in the playoffs and McKay doesn’t give them that opportunity the way he is playing. He has been regressing in my opinion and Tommy just keeps getting better and contributes more like he did in the Idaho game and yes the team does notice these things. That’s 13 posts now.
You claimed something you now know to be false and just had a epic meltdown post, Mike.

You made national news due to your bullying and misogyny.

Is maroonbloodWeirdo.com still a thing?
Is this really AG1?

It would explain a lot.

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

Prodigal Cat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Prodigal Cat » Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:54 pm

I’m old enough to remember multiple posts and thread questioning Rovig’s play in 2019 as we went to a semifinal. Maybe it’s been brought up but I really don’t care to read this entire thread. At this point we race the horse that got us here. Making some huge change now is moronic.

Brewer/Owner Copper Furrow Brewing

utucats
Member # Retired

Post by utucats » Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:48 am

Prodigal Cat wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:54 pm
I’m old enough to remember multiple posts and thread questioning Rovig’s play in 2019 as we went to a semifinal. Maybe it’s been brought up but I really don’t care to read this entire thread. At this point we race the horse that got us here. Making some huge change now is moronic.
Ride the horse that got us here? Ok defense, see if you can win a Natty with no help!

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:23 pm

mslacatfan wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:16 pm
CelticCat wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:10 pm
This might be the most unhappy BN has been when we've had a good team - I mean the Cats have only won 9 regular season games 4 times since 1984, 3 of those were Ash in 10, 11 and 12, and it took the 2019 squad 12 games to do it.

I’ve said this in other posts. But what u are saying is not accurate.

You can be excited about this years team and frustrated/critical about something at the same time. That’s ok.

I could not be more jacked about this season! But yes, I’m extremely frustrated with what we are seeing on offense. It’s a joke.
Glass half-empty people are easy to spot and this thread is a great example of it. There is no perfect team. If this team somehow makes a run, it will be because of an all-time defense. I recall the days when Prukop/Cramsey were putting up 40ppg and some posters here complaining how the offense scored too quickly and Jamie Marshall’s defense just couldn’t get the rest they needed.

Same posters, maybe?

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

onceacat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by onceacat » Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:00 pm

PapaG wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:23 pm
mslacatfan wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:16 pm
CelticCat wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:10 pm
This might be the most unhappy BN has been when we've had a good team - I mean the Cats have only won 9 regular season games 4 times since 1984, 3 of those were Ash in 10, 11 and 12, and it took the 2019 squad 12 games to do it.

I’ve said this in other posts. But what u are saying is not accurate.

You can be excited about this years team and frustrated/critical about something at the same time. That’s ok.

I could not be more jacked about this season! But yes, I’m extremely frustrated with what we are seeing on offense. It’s a joke.
Glass half-empty people are easy to spot and this thread is a great example of it. There is no perfect team. If this team somehow makes a run, it will be because of an all-time defense. I recall the days when Prukop/Cramsey were putting up 40ppg and some posters here complaining how the offense scored too quickly and Jamie Marshall’s defense just couldn’t get the rest they needed.

Same posters, maybe?
Back then I was complaining that the Cramsey/Prukop offense could only score in garbage time and against bad teams. They sucked whenever the game was on the line.

Some people call that "half empty"...I call it being realizing about analyzing strengths and weaknesses.

MTnative
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by MTnative » Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:30 pm

I have it on pretty good authority that there was serious discussion at halftime about putting Rovig in during Cat-griz.

Lord Vigo

Post by Lord Vigo » Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:23 am

MTnative wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:30 pm
I have it on pretty good authority that there was serious discussion at halftime about putting Rovig in during Cat-griz.
If that’s true, then it might lend some credence to the idea that they’re going to move to Mellott after the bye. If they were nearly ready to move to Rovig in that moment, perhaps they’d be ready to take the extra week and revamp the offense around a much different type of QB.

Of course, the above might be true. Or it might be true, and it might mean nothing for Mellott. But I digress.

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
Member # Retired

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:46 pm

If Mellott "starts" the game because Vigen decides to screw with the other team by running the first series with his package QB, it's a wrinkle that could work, and I'll trust the coaches.

If Rovig is QB1 for the playoffs, I'll trust the coaches.

If Mellott is QB1 for the playoffs I'm ****** done with Vigen. Any coach should know that an effective passing game is essential in the playoffs. Completely giving up on the passing game is dumb. I saw enough non-throwing quarterbacks under Choate and I'm sick of it.

I would guess that it's just going to be McKay though. Hopefully two weeks of practice is enough to get him back to what he was doing earlier in the year.

"What's our job? Gettin the offense the ball! How we gonna do it? By any means necessary!"

-Trent King, Playmakers

Lord Vigo

Post by Lord Vigo » Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:29 pm

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:46 pm
If Mellott "starts" the game because Vigen decides to screw with the other team by running the first series with his package QB, it's a wrinkle that could work, and I'll trust the coaches.

If Rovig is QB1 for the playoffs, I'll trust the coaches.

If Mellott is QB1 for the playoffs I'm ****** done with Vigen. Any coach should know that an effective passing game is essential in the playoffs. Completely giving up on the passing game is dumb. I saw enough non-throwing quarterbacks under Choate and I'm sick of it.

I would guess that it's just going to be McKay though. Hopefully two weeks of practice is enough to get him back to what he was doing earlier in the year.
So if they played Mellott the majority of the time at QB and they roll UTM and advance in the playoffs, you’re done with Vigen?

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
Member # Retired

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:39 pm

Yes. Vigen inherited a program that went to the semifinals in their previous season. He would have no excuse for resorting to a one-dimensional offense.

"What's our job? Gettin the offense the ball! How we gonna do it? By any means necessary!"

-Trent King, Playmakers

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:22 pm

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:

So no backup plan here? What happens if Mellott goes off for 86 or 132 passing, for 1,048 yards, 9 TDs and 1 INT over four games in the playoffs? :wink:

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

NewEra
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by NewEra » Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:16 pm

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:39 pm
Yes. Vigen inherited a program that went to the semifinals in their previous season. He would have no excuse for resorting to a one-dimensional offense.
Was Mellot one dimensional in high school? Serious question as i never watched him other when he’s come in for the Cats.

rivercat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by rivercat » Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:25 pm

NewEra wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:16 pm
BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:39 pm
Was Mellot one dimensional in high school? Serious question as i never watched him other when he’s come in for the Cats.
His Sr year he had a 64% completion rate and averaged 245 yds/game passing. So no.

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

Dmsubrew
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Dmsubrew » Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:42 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:22 pm
BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:

So no backup plan here? What happens if Mellott goes off for 86 or 132 passing, for 1,048 yards, 9 TDs and 1 INT over four games in the playoffs? :wink:
Well, then mellott gets offensive mvp of the fcs and we prob fire all of our coaches for inablitlity to see talent until the second week of the playoffs. That's my guess

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:50 pm

Dmsubrew wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:42 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:

Well, then mellott gets offensive mvp of the fcs and we prob fire all of our coaches for inablitlity to see talent until the second week of the playoffs. That's my guess
I believe Montanabob and utucats would then be hired as Co head coaches as well.

utucats
Member # Retired

Post by utucats » Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:58 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:50 pm
Dmsubrew wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:

I believe Montanabob and utucats would then be hired as Co head coaches as well.
First decision, offer Choate assistant head coach!

Seriously, Mellot was a great QB in high school. Not sure where the idea he can’t throw the ball came from?

thefrank1

Post by thefrank1 » Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:01 pm

Possibly the talent at D1 is a little better than MT AA and he isn't ready yet.

While registering my vehicles the assessor stated "I have had both Cat and Griz students and alums work for me and the Griz end up working under the direction of the Cats."

utucats
Member # Retired

Post by utucats » Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:04 pm

thefrank1 wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:01 pm
Possibly the talent at D1 is a little better than MT AA and he isn't ready yet.
Certainly possible but he has shown the ability. Can he be worse than what we’ve seen the last few games? I don’t think so.

He hasn’t had the opportunity to play enough snaps to say anything about his ability. What we do know is that he is to good to keep off the field. I like giving athletes like that more opportunities.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:25 pm

utucats wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:58 pm
BleedingBLue wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:50 pm
Dmsubrew wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:

First decision, offer Choate assistant head coach!

Seriously, Mellot was a great QB in high school. Not sure where the idea he can’t throw the ball came from?
I don’t necessarily disagree, however, I don’t think you can use montana high school success as a barometer. These are the top 10 all time best seasons in terms of total yards in Montana football. Only one of these had a successful fcs (I-AA) career at QB.

5011 Dallas Cook
4497 Dallas Cook
4425 Tanner Roderick
4239 Braden Larsen
3909 Brady McChesney
3772 Mark Desin
3728 Mark Desin
3480 Max Feight
3444 Dylan Cook
3331 Dave Dickenson