Put in Rovig

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Re: Put in Rovig

Post by 91catAlum » Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:47 pm

Lord Vigo wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:46 pm
91catAlum wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:43 pm
PapaG wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:32 pm
Lord Vigo wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:14 pm
Bozcat003 wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:12 pm
Sohedges wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:06 pm
Lord Vigo wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:56 pm
I don't know if it's true or not, but it would totally make sense to me.

People have rightly pointed out how bad all facets of the passing game were on Saturday, not just McKay. And they're right.

But McKay has also been dreadful whenever the running game isn't really effective. So two things can be true-- the OL and the receivers didn't play well AND McKay's play has been a problem (not "OR").

Hopefully, if true, this does not mean that Ifanse and Elliott aren't getting better. It could just be a move that Vigen thinks is best for the offense, but it could also be a move made to replace some rushing production from the backs that they anticipate losing.

If the backs are health and Mellott is the full time player, the potential in the running game is pretty exciting.
I agree, reminiscent of Troy playing QB, but I think Tommy has a better arm. This could be a game changer. Sure hope so.
And I know nothing - but I do think Mellott is the future at QB, which isn’t something I would’ve said in September. Big time first start if true.
Or at a minimum, if this actually happens, this is his audition to be the future.
Yes yes, put in a freshman at QB who has two passes in his playbook, both in mass protection, as an audition for next year when you have Benson/Hardy/O’Reilly/Andersen/Williams as seniors on defense.

Vigen loses that game by benching McKay and Mellot struggles, he loses the team and I’d question his judgment as a coach.

It won’t happen, and we’ll never see this 11 post guy again.

Seems like something that Mike dude who got banned from Missoula games would say in a post.
Wouldn't you also question his judgement as a coach if we go into the next game with the same offensive lineup??
Like you, I'm also suspicious/doubtful of this rumor, but it wouldn't shock me a bit if the QB position was being evaluated this week and a competition was back open for the starting job, this week. We need more offensive production than we've gotten the last 2 weeks + Weber, and if the coaches decide that the biggest issue is QB then that is what they should do.
This is kind of amusing.

On this forum right now you have some fans saying that Vigen is in trouble if he sticks with McKay and others saying he's in trouble if he replaces McKay.

I don't think he's in trouble regardless. But apart from what is likely/unlikely to happen and what's rumor and what's not, I would be excited to see what would happen if they gave Mellott a full run at it.
Thats not what I said. Re-read it.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:05 pm

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:41 pm
PapaG wrote:
Lord Vigo wrote:
Bozcat003 wrote:
Sohedges wrote:
Lord Vigo wrote:

People have rightly pointed out how bad all facets of the passing game were on Saturday, not just McKay. And they're right.

But McKay has also been dreadful whenever the running game isn't really effective. So two things can be true-- the OL and the receivers didn't play well AND McKay's play has been a problem (not "OR").

Hopefully, if true, this does not mean that Ifanse and Elliott aren't getting better. It could just be a move that Vigen thinks is best for the offense, but it could also be a move made to replace some rushing production from the backs that they anticipate losing.

If the backs are health and Mellott is the full time player, the potential in the running game is pretty exciting.
I agree, reminiscent of Troy playing QB, but I think Tommy has a better arm. This could be a game changer. Sure hope so.
And I know nothing - but I do think Mellott is the future at QB, which isn’t something I would’ve said in September. Big time first start if true.
Or at a minimum, if this actually happens, this is his audition to be the future.
Yes yes, put in a freshman at QB who has two passes in his playbook, both in mass protection, as an audition for next year when you have Benson/Hardy/O’Reilly/Andersen/Williams as seniors on defense.

Vigen loses that game by benching McKay and Mellot struggles, he loses the team and I’d question his judgment as a coach.

Seems like something that Mike dude who got banned from Missoula games would say in a post.
Let’s be real here for a minute. The way McKay played on Saturday, it’s not like Tommy could do much worse. It would be hard for anybody to do much worse, tbh. It was as bad a showing as I’ve seen in a long time. At least Tommy can run. McKay supposedly can, but he sure doesn’t show it.
Isn’t some of that on a game plan that insisted on running the ball up the middle against a run blitz and not once attempting a screen pass or TE over the middle route?

McKay will be starting in the Round of 16 and I’ll be called a “total ass” for not agreeing with this thread.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:08 pm

Lord Vigo wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
PapaG wrote:
Lord Vigo wrote:
Bozcat003 wrote:
Sohedges wrote:
Lord Vigo wrote:

Wouldn't you also question his judgement as a coach if we go into the next game with the same offensive lineup??
Like you, I'm also suspicious/doubtful of this rumor, but it wouldn't shock me a bit if the QB position was being evaluated this week and a competition was back open for the starting job, this week. We need more offensive production than we've gotten the last 2 weeks + Weber, and if the coaches decide that the biggest issue is QB then that is what they should do.
This is kind of amusing.

On this forum right now you have some fans saying that Vigen is in trouble if he sticks with McKay and others saying he's in trouble if he replaces McKay.

I don't think he's in trouble regardless. But apart from what is likely/unlikely to happen and what's rumor and what's not, I would be excited to see what would happen if they gave Mellott a full run at it.
Mine was tongue-in-cheek but it wasn’t clear so I own that lack of context. The meltdown by some here after losing to the Griz was comical for me considering I lived through and attended at least 7 of the games during The Streak.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

onceacat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by onceacat » Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:09 pm

PapaG wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:05 pm
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
PapaG wrote:
Lord Vigo wrote:
Bozcat003 wrote:
Sohedges wrote:
Lord Vigo wrote:

Let’s be real here for a minute. The way McKay played on Saturday, it’s not like Tommy could do much worse. It would be hard for anybody to do much worse, tbh. It was as bad a showing as I’ve seen in a long time. At least Tommy can run. McKay supposedly can, but he sure doesn’t show it.
Isn’t some of that on a game plan that insisted on running the ball up the middle against a run blitz and not once attempting a screen pass or TE over the middle route?

McKay will be starting in the Round of 16 and I’ll be called a “total ass” for not agreeing with this thread.
I've seen nothing in Vigens background that would make me think that he would bench the 9-1 starter for the freshman from Butte. That would be a massive roll of the dice for a guys who has show zero interest in ever gambling.

I guess more shocking things have happened, but I can't really imagine it.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:10 pm

This might be the most unhappy BN has been when we've had a good team - I mean the Cats have only won 9 regular season games 4 times since 1984, 3 of those were Ash in 10, 11 and 12, and it took the 2019 squad 12 games to do it.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

Lord Vigo
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Lord Vigo » Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:14 pm

PapaG wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
PapaG wrote:
Lord Vigo wrote:
Bozcat003 wrote:
Sohedges wrote:
Lord Vigo wrote:

Lol. I saw that! It was quite the loaded question.

"Hey do you want to respond to what happened seeing as how you're the worst person on planet earth??"

:shock:

Lord Vigo

Post by Lord Vigo » Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:16 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:10 pm
This might be the most unhappy BN has been when we've had a good team - I mean the Cats have only won 9 regular season games 4 times since 1984, 3 of those were Ash in 10, 11 and 12, and it took the 2019 squad 12 games to do it.
It's because of the phase of the season we're in.

The team was roaring in the early and middle portions of the schedule. They predictably slowed down when they faced stiffer competition. They then slowed some more when injuries started piling up. So fans are just responding to what's happened lately.

If they thump Mo. State or UT-Martin, and the offense moves the ball, it will pipe down.

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:16 pm

CelticCat wrote:

I’ve said this in other posts. But what u are saying is not accurate.

You can be excited about this years team and frustrated/critical about something at the same time. That’s ok.

I could not be more jacked about this season! But yes, I’m extremely frustrated with what we are seeing on offense. It’s a joke.

FTG- GO CATS GO!

Lord Vigo

Post by Lord Vigo » Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:17 pm

onceacat wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:09 pm
I've seen nothing in Vigens background that would make me think that he would bench the 9-1 starter for the freshman from Butte. That would be a massive roll of the dice for a guys who has show zero interest in ever gambling.

I guess more shocking things have happened, but I can't really imagine it.
One factor to consider is that Mellott has been playing at the QB position more and more. So it's not like they haven't seen him out there or have nothing to judge the move by.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:18 pm

mslacatfan wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:16 pm
CelticCat wrote:

You can be excited about this years team and frustrated/critical about something at the same time. That’s ok.

I could not be more jacked about this season! But yes, I’m extremely frustrated with what we are seeing on offense. It’s a joke.
I mean if you came onto this board and read all the posts after the Cat/Griz game not knowing the record of the team we are talking about you'd think we are 3-8. :lol:

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

Lord Vigo

Post by Lord Vigo » Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:19 pm

91catAlum wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:47 pm
Lord Vigo wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
PapaG wrote:
Lord Vigo wrote:
Bozcat003 wrote:
Sohedges wrote:
Lord Vigo wrote:

This is kind of amusing.

I wasn't clear. I was trying to talk to you, not about you. There are some (not you) who think Vigen should be canned if he doesn't replace McKay, and others (also not you) who think Vigen should be canned if he does replace McKay. Your comment caused that to occur to me.

I find it funny.

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:45 pm

PapaG wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
PapaG wrote:
Lord Vigo wrote:
Bozcat003 wrote:
Sohedges wrote:
Lord Vigo wrote:

Just because McKay didn’t pass over the middle does not mean there weren’t routes there. He just didn’t throw to them.

And you’re not a total ass for not agreeing with this thread, it’s just your general attitude that makes you a total ass.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:56 pm

Lord Vigo wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:19 pm
91catAlum wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:47 pm
Lord Vigo wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
PapaG wrote:
Lord Vigo wrote:
Bozcat003 wrote:
Sohedges wrote:
Lord Vigo wrote:

This is kind of amusing.

I wasn't clear. I was trying to talk to you, not about you. There are some (not you) who think Vigen should be canned if he doesn't replace McKay, and others (also not you) who think Vigen should be canned if he does replace McKay. Your comment caused that to occur to me.

I find it funny.
Gotcha, thanks for clarifying. I agree, Vigen's job is certainly not on the line here regardless of what happens in the playoffs.

But I do think that the coaches need to do something offensively to create a spark or something to get more production. For example, if Sessions can't go at RT they need to consider kicking Tui out to RT and putting someone else at RG, as Colter suggested prior to Cat/griz. Also, like I said, I wouldn't be shocked if the QB position was being evaluated this week if the coaches determined that there's a recurring issue there that isn't getting corrected.
But if I were a betting man, McKay starts on 12/4.

onceacat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by onceacat » Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:00 pm

mslacatfan wrote:
CelticCat wrote:

100% excited about a 9-1 record. Thats very solid.

But the 2019 team had a MUCH tougher schedule.

Part of the frustration (at least speaking for myself) is that 9-1 against a super soft schedule including several games where the Cats struggled against mediocre competition doesn't bode well for the playoffs. The fans here are still hanging their hats on squeaking out a "tough" win at a 6-5 Weber team taht didn't even come close to sniffing the playoffs.

At the start of the season, I think 8-3 was a "floor". Now, knowing that Weber wasn't good, I think 9-2 is "performing as expected". Are NDSU fans "thrilled" about their record this season? JMU?

I guess its all about perspective. If you think the Cats are lucky to win 9 games & get a #8 seed, then yeah. Celebrate.

If you think the Cats are an elite FCS team and should be in the running for a championship? 9-2 is totally fine, but not super exciting.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:40 pm

onceacat wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:00 pm
mslacatfan wrote:
CelticCat wrote:

100% excited about a 9-1 record. Thats very solid.

But the 2019 team had a MUCH tougher schedule.

Part of the frustration (at least speaking for myself) is that 9-1 against a super soft schedule including several games where the Cats struggled against mediocre competition doesn't bode well for the playoffs. The fans here are still hanging their hats on squeaking out a "tough" win at a 6-5 Weber team taht didn't even come close to sniffing the playoffs.

At the start of the season, I think 8-3 was a "floor". Now, knowing that Weber wasn't good, I think 9-2 is "performing as expected". Are NDSU fans "thrilled" about their record this season? JMU?

I guess its all about perspective. If you think the Cats are lucky to win 9 games & get a #8 seed, then yeah. Celebrate.

If you think the Cats are an elite FCS team and should be in the running for a championship? 9-2 is totally fine, but not super exciting.
My question for you is this. What makes you think we're an elite FCS team/program? Until 2019 we hadn't been to the semis since 1984. We sucked in the 90s, were good in the early/mid 2000s, mediocre for a few years, good but not great in the late 2000s, really good in the early 10s, then bad again for a few years. Got beat down in the quarters in 2018, then beat down in the semis in 2019. We lost in the 1st round/quarters in 02 and 03. Lost in the quarters in 06. Got our teeth kicked in in the quarters in 10, 11, 12 and 14. Nothing about our playoff performances over the the last 20 years says we're elite.

There are 3, 4 maybe 5 elite programs in the FCS. We're not currently one of them. They are NDSU, SDSU, JMU and.... To be considered elite you actually have to compete for conference titles AND national championships year in and year out. We are a great FCS program, but we're not to elite yet. Do we all want to win yhe national championship every year? Yeah we do. Is it realistic? No it's not, at least not now. The fact that a 9-2 season with a 7-1 conference record and the #8 seed isn't good enough for some is pretty unbelievable. What in the last 20 years says that's not a great season? I mean we've been seeded 5 times since 02, 2 straight times. Seems like we're building up to where we want to be. Which is somewhere we've never been. Even if you think we have.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:49 pm

CelticCat wrote:
You have to keep in mind that a lot more people are posting on here when the Cat-Griz game rolls around, especially when MSU is ranked high. Those people are kind of like the people that show for Christmas Eve mass after not going to a Sunday mass all year. You know the type, the ones that don't know it's called mass, they call it 'going to church'. Then when they don't get complimented on their clothes they go home and sulk until New Year's Eve (playoffs).

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

coochorama42
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by coochorama42 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:12 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:49 pm

You have to keep in mind that a lot more people are posting on here when the Cat-Griz game rolls around, especially when MSU is ranked high. Those people are kind of like the people that show for Christmas Eve mass after not going to a Sunday mass all year. You know the type, the ones that don't know it's called mass, they call it 'going to church'. Then when they don't get complimented on their clothes they go home and sulk until New Year's Eve (playoffs).
They are so confused when they hear "and with your spirit" ("where's Choate?").

killinthegriz4
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by killinthegriz4 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:44 pm

In all my years of watching football, I've never seen a more scared QB than McKay was last game. You can't cure that or coach it out in two weeks of practice that doesn't come close to represent game speed and intensity. You have the instinct or you don't and he doesn't have it. There is a clock in every quarterback's head and his clock is now 1-2 seconds faster. You can't coach that out. You can only play it out in multiple game situations where the memory is replaced with successful events. You all want to risk a one and done postseason for him to reset his internal clock? It's the most stupid idea ever. Yes, he was good for 4-5 games but as the OL started to weaken and he got pressure, his reads were not great. McKay is a good player against mediocre defenses. Lance "jump ball" McCutcheon made most of the plays himself on underthrown passes.
Someone else needs to takeover QB duties. Coaches need to give the TEAM

Sohedges
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Sohedges » Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:28 pm

PapaG wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:27 pm
Sohedges wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:01 pm
BleedingBLue wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:58 am
I'm not going to believe any change has happened until 2 PM on the 4th. Especially not one where a true freshman QB with 4 pass attempts on the season is taking the reigns in the playoffs.
Take it for what it’s worth, rumor or I guess we shall see come December 3.
Troll with 11 posts riling up the McKay lynch mob is hilariously obvious.

What we won’t see is him come back when McKay plays most of the game at QB.
I don’t post here much basically because of guys like you who can’t handle the truth, so you bash opinions and posts that you don’t agree with. Whatever, this makes 12 posts riling up all you McKay fans. I thought he would be better then he has played and in my opinion he is regressing while Tommy is improving and contributes more like he did in the Idaho game.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:58 pm

CelticCat wrote:
To be fair, I waded through the gameday thread on my way home from Missoula Sunday and you seemed VERY unhappy. :lol: