Put in Rovig

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Sohedges
BobcatNation Redshirt

Re: Put in Rovig

Post by Sohedges » Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:47 am

ilovethecats wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:42 am
Sohedges wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:37 am
kwcat wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:17 am
Sohedges wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:09 am
I just heard that Mellot got promoted to starter (5days too late) McKay is now his back up. Anyone have any intel on this development?
If you’re going to start a rumor maybe you should identify yourself. Otherwise you’re just a troll.

[media] [/media]
What do you want to know, where I heard this? (From the father of an offensive lineman who has been practicing with Mellot at 1 and McKay 2 all this week. I’m not a troll just like to keep up, you sound butthurt do you not want to know what is going on with this team, then don’t read posts. Go Tommy go cats.
Some guy named "Jesse" over on egriz who's been lobbying for Tommy all season ironically heard the exact same thing.... :-k
We are both from Butte and talk cats and griz daily and know the kids father, small state. I hope it’s accurate the Mellot era has begun. Lol

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:48 am

We can choose to believe a rumor or not. No reason to bash a guy.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:51 am

wbtfg wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:48 am
We can choose to believe a rumor or not. No reason to bash a guy.
Yep. I have no issue with it whatsoever. Not like a little message board discussion has any impact on anything.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:58 am

I'm not going to believe any change has happened until 2 PM on the 4th. Especially not one where a true freshman QB with 4 pass attempts on the season is taking the reigns in the playoffs.

Sohedges
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Sohedges » Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:01 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:58 am
I'm not going to believe any change has happened until 2 PM on the 4th. Especially not one where a true freshman QB with 4 pass attempts on the season is taking the reigns in the playoffs.
Take it for what it’s worth, rumor or I guess we shall see come December 3.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:04 pm

Honestly would not shock me if the other QBs were getting a shot in practice this week to take over the reins. But I doubt it would be Mellott, over Rovig or Bauman (if healthy) at this point.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:06 pm

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:07 pm

Sohedges wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:01 pm
BleedingBLue wrote:
Thanks for posting....It will definitely be interesting to see how it all shakes out.

Lord Vigo
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Lord Vigo » Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:56 pm

I don't know if it's true or not, but it would totally make sense to me.

People have rightly pointed out how bad all facets of the passing game were on Saturday, not just McKay. And they're right.

But McKay has also been dreadful whenever the running game isn't really effective. So two things can be true-- the OL and the receivers didn't play well AND McKay's play has been a problem (not "OR").

Hopefully, if true, this does not mean that Ifanse and Elliott aren't getting better. It could just be a move that Vigen thinks is best for the offense, but it could also be a move made to replace some rushing production from the backs that they anticipate losing.

If the backs are health and Mellott is the full time player, the potential in the running game is pretty exciting.

Sohedges
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Sohedges » Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:06 pm

Lord Vigo wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:56 pm

People have rightly pointed out how bad all facets of the passing game were on Saturday, not just McKay. And they're right.

But McKay has also been dreadful whenever the running game isn't really effective. So two things can be true-- the OL and the receivers didn't play well AND McKay's play has been a problem (not "OR").

Hopefully, if true, this does not mean that Ifanse and Elliott aren't getting better. It could just be a move that Vigen thinks is best for the offense, but it could also be a move made to replace some rushing production from the backs that they anticipate losing.

If the backs are health and Mellott is the full time player, the potential in the running game is pretty exciting.
I agree, reminiscent of Troy playing QB, but I think Tommy has a better arm. This could be a game changer. Sure hope so.

Bozcat003
Member # Retired

Post by Bozcat003 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:12 pm

Sohedges wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:06 pm
Lord Vigo wrote:

I agree, reminiscent of Troy playing QB, but I think Tommy has a better arm. This could be a game changer. Sure hope so.
And I know nothing - but I do think Mellott is the future at QB, which isn’t something I would’ve said in September. Big time first start if true.

Lord Vigo

Post by Lord Vigo » Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:13 pm

Sohedges wrote:
Lord Vigo wrote:

Even if his passing ability is stringently limited, what have we been getting out of McKay lately in the passing game?

What Mellott brings as a runner figures to offer more to the offense than the meager passing production that McKay has brought against quality competition. And if he proves to be able to move the ball in the air a little bit, then all the more so.

Lord Vigo

Post by Lord Vigo » Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:14 pm

Bozcat003 wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:12 pm
Sohedges wrote:
Lord Vigo wrote:

And I know nothing - but I do think Mellott is the future at QB, which isn’t something I would’ve said in September. Big time first start if true.
Or at a minimum, if this actually happens, this is his audition to be the future.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:20 pm

Spring ball is gonna be interesting.

McKay
Bauman
Mellott
Austin
Reed

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:27 pm

Sohedges wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:01 pm
BleedingBLue wrote:
Troll with 11 posts riling up the McKay lynch mob is hilariously obvious.

What we won’t see is him come back when McKay plays most of the game at QB.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:32 pm

Lord Vigo wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:14 pm
Bozcat003 wrote:
Sohedges wrote:
Lord Vigo wrote:

Or at a minimum, if this actually happens, this is his audition to be the future.
Yes yes, put in a freshman at QB who has two passes in his playbook, both in mass protection, as an audition for next year when you have Benson/Hardy/O’Reilly/Andersen/Williams as seniors on defense.

Vigen loses that game by benching McKay and Mellot struggles, he loses the team and I’d question his judgment as a coach.

It won’t happen, and we’ll never see this 11 post guy again.

Seems like something that Mike dude who got banned from Missoula games would say in a post.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:41 pm

PapaG wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:32 pm
Lord Vigo wrote:
Bozcat003 wrote:
Sohedges wrote:
Lord Vigo wrote:

Yes yes, put in a freshman at QB who has two passes in his playbook, both in mass protection, as an audition for next year when you have Benson/Hardy/O’Reilly/Andersen/Williams as seniors on defense.

Vigen loses that game by benching McKay and Mellot struggles, he loses the team and I’d question his judgment as a coach.

Seems like something that Mike dude who got banned from Missoula games would say in a post.
Let’s be real here for a minute. The way McKay played on Saturday, it’s not like Tommy could do much worse. It would be hard for anybody to do much worse, tbh. It was as bad a showing as I’ve seen in a long time. At least Tommy can run. McKay supposedly can, but he sure doesn’t show it.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:43 pm

PapaG wrote:
Lord Vigo wrote:
Bozcat003 wrote:
Sohedges wrote:
Lord Vigo wrote:

Wouldn't you also question his judgement as a coach if we go into the next game with the same offensive lineup??
Like you, I'm also suspicious/doubtful of this rumor, but it wouldn't shock me a bit if the QB position was being evaluated this week and a competition was back open for the starting job, this week. We need more offensive production than we've gotten the last 2 weeks + Weber, and if the coaches decide that the biggest issue is QB then that is what they should do.

Lord Vigo

Post by Lord Vigo » Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:44 pm

PapaG wrote:
Lord Vigo wrote:
Bozcat003 wrote:
Sohedges wrote:
Lord Vigo wrote:

If someone asked me to wager on it, I'd bet that the two players continue to share the role. So I have no comment on the validity of the poster or his comments.

I'm just saying that the move would make sense to me, given how McKay has been playing.

I also think it's easy for fans to create narratives without really having any idea if they're true. "Vigen loses the team if he does this and they lose" might be the case. I could theorize that "Vigen loses the team if he continues to play McKay given how he's been playing lately." Might that be true? I honestly have no idea.

Lord Vigo

Post by Lord Vigo » Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:46 pm

91catAlum wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:43 pm
PapaG wrote:
Lord Vigo wrote:
Bozcat003 wrote:
Sohedges wrote:
Lord Vigo wrote:

Wouldn't you also question his judgement as a coach if we go into the next game with the same offensive lineup??
Like you, I'm also suspicious/doubtful of this rumor, but it wouldn't shock me a bit if the QB position was being evaluated this week and a competition was back open for the starting job, this week. We need more offensive production than we've gotten the last 2 weeks + Weber, and if the coaches decide that the biggest issue is QB then that is what they should do.
This is kind of amusing.

On this forum right now you have some fans saying that Vigen is in trouble if he sticks with McKay and others saying he's in trouble if he replaces McKay.

I don't think he's in trouble regardless. But apart from what is likely/unlikely to happen and what's rumor and what's not, I would be excited to see what would happen if they gave Mellott a full run at it.