Put in Rovig

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Re: Put in Rovig

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:00 pm

onceacat wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:30 am
91catAlum wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:51 am
TomCat88 wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:50 pm
Lulay and McGhee both started for MSU earlier in their careers. McGhee played on a run heavy team in HS.

This has been a fun development to watch unfold. Just a few months ago Thelen was considered by many posters on here to be the best quarterback and Mellott was going to be a safety.
Just speaking for myself, I liked Thelen a lot. I'm not one who said he was the best quarterback, but he absolutely was the best passer on the roster in the last Spring game, and I still stand by that.
Hated to see him leave.
There was no question that McGhee was a great passer from the first moment he stepped on the field. Lulay replaced the other QB because the entire offense was underperforming.

So is Mellot more like Chris Murray/Troy Andersen? Or more
Ike McGhee/Lulay?

I don’t think anyone on this board knows that.
None of the above. He’s most like Dakota Prukop in terms of combo passing/running. Except he’s much better in the clutch and plays under control more. In person he reminds me of Lulay. Both physically and mannerisms. His smarts (control and clutch) remind me of Andersen. He has better touch on his passes than any of them and knows how to drop the ball in over DBs. His spin move and ability to avoid defenders reminds me of McGhee.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:10 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:00 pm
onceacat wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
Lulay and McGhee both started for MSU earlier in their careers. McGhee played on a run heavy team in HS.

This has been a fun development to watch unfold. Just a few months ago Thelen was considered by many posters on here to be the best quarterback and Mellott was going to be a safety.
Just speaking for myself, I liked Thelen a lot. I'm not one who said he was the best quarterback, but he absolutely was the best passer on the roster in the last Spring game, and I still stand by that.
Hated to see him leave.
There was no question that McGhee was a great passer from the first moment he stepped on the field. Lulay replaced the other QB because the entire offense was underperforming.

Ike McGhee/Lulay?

None of the above. He’s most like Dakota Prukop in terms of combo passing/running. Except he’s much better in the clutch and plays under control more. In person he reminds me of Lulay. Both physically and mannerisms. His smarts (control and clutch) remind me of Andersen. He has better touch on his passes than any of them and knows how to drop the ball in over DBs. His spin move and ability to avoid defenders reminds me of McGhee.
This would be a very pleasant surprise! \:D/

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:22 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:10 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
onceacat wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:

Hated to see him leave.

Ike McGhee/Lulay?

This would be a very pleasant surprise! \:D/
🤣
I’m not saying he’s all those players rolled into one. Just comparing some of his traits to theirs.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:25 pm

Lord Vigo wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:43 pm
91catAlum wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:20 pm
spring creek cat wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:47 am
This whole topic is interesting to me. It’s the same topic we’ve had for four years. Which is extremely frustrating. I was one person that wasn’t exactly excited about Rovig at quarterback, but thought he was serviceable. I was also very excited to see McKay enter the competition, I’m also a person that is extremely disappointed in the quarterback that he has developed into. That is mostly because of my expectations of what I thought he would be coming from an fbs school. As we all know from past experience just because they’re a drop-down does not mean they’re going to tear up the FCS. I was hoping that McKay would be a more athletic and accurate passer than he is, But he is actually just a less confident version of Rovig. Lots of fade routes and one read passes! I am actually not even convinced he’s more athletic than Rovig, he just looks the part. I am not sure am not sure now is the time to just hand the spot to TM, but if we are going to keep playing him his role needs to be expanded. I am not sure he is 100% ready to run the whole offense right now, but I don’t get to see how he is in practice running the offense and if he understands the passing game. But the future with him is interesting.
The next question I have for the quarterback room is it because of the guys we have in there or because of the coaching they are getting this year? Are we putting them in the best chance to be successful? To me it looks like our coaching staff has zero faith in our quarterback position. What little coaching I have done at the high school level I know when I have lost confidence in a player in a position you start messing with it and toying with it and running different formations in place to hide it. To me it appears that is what has happened and that is why our playcalling has become so bland and vanilla. It’s very frustrating to me that the coaching staff couldn’t figure that out sooner and has no solutions as it appears at the moment. I am both anxious and nervous about what kind of offense we will se this weekend, I am really hoping we see some adjustments and some healthy players to help out.
If you're not convinced that McKay is more athletic than Rovig, after McKay's 55 yard TD run at eastern, then I don't know what to tell you. Its pretty obvious.
He's way more athletic. He doesn't use his athleticism all that well, but he is certainly way more athletic.
Well said, 100% agree. Honestly I have a feeling the coaches have instructed him that he really needs to focus on managing the game, efficiently running the offense, and distributing the ball to his playmakers. Running the ball is absolute last option, or chucking it away. I honestly feel like it's time to cut him loose a bit and work in several draws, designed run plays for him, some option that I know we already do, and when the pocket breaks down yes - he needs to first look for that open receiver but if it's not there he needs to put that athleticism to work. He's not EB3 but he is fast and has some moves.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

Lord Vigo
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Lord Vigo » Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:42 pm

catatac wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:25 pm
Lord Vigo wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
spring creek cat wrote:
This whole topic is interesting to me. It’s the same topic we’ve had for four years. Which is extremely frustrating. I was one person that wasn’t exactly excited about Rovig at quarterback, but thought he was serviceable. I was also very excited to see McKay enter the competition, I’m also a person that is extremely disappointed in the quarterback that he has developed into. That is mostly because of my expectations of what I thought he would be coming from an fbs school. As we all know from past experience just because they’re a drop-down does not mean they’re going to tear up the FCS. I was hoping that McKay would be a more athletic and accurate passer than he is, But he is actually just a less confident version of Rovig. Lots of fade routes and one read passes! I am actually not even convinced he’s more athletic than Rovig, he just looks the part. I am not sure am not sure now is the time to just hand the spot to TM, but if we are going to keep playing him his role needs to be expanded. I am not sure he is 100% ready to run the whole offense right now, but I don’t get to see how he is in practice running the offense and if he understands the passing game. But the future with him is interesting.
The next question I have for the quarterback room is it because of the guys we have in there or because of the coaching they are getting this year? Are we putting them in the best chance to be successful? To me it looks like our coaching staff has zero faith in our quarterback position. What little coaching I have done at the high school level I know when I have lost confidence in a player in a position you start messing with it and toying with it and running different formations in place to hide it. To me it appears that is what has happened and that is why our playcalling has become so bland and vanilla. It’s very frustrating to me that the coaching staff couldn’t figure that out sooner and has no solutions as it appears at the moment. I am both anxious and nervous about what kind of offense we will se this weekend, I am really hoping we see some adjustments and some healthy players to help out.
If you're not convinced that McKay is more athletic than Rovig, after McKay's 55 yard TD run at eastern, then I don't know what to tell you. Its pretty obvious.
He's way more athletic. He doesn't use his athleticism all that well, but he is certainly way more athletic.
Well said, 100% agree. Honestly I have a feeling the coaches have instructed him that he really needs to focus on managing the game, efficiently running the offense, and distributing the ball to his playmakers. Running the ball is absolute last option, or chucking it away. I honestly feel like it's time to cut him loose a bit and work in several draws, designed run plays for him, some option that I know we already do, and when the pocket breaks down yes - he needs to first look for that open receiver but if it's not there he needs to put that athleticism to work. He's not EB3 but he is fast and has some moves.
He has certainly been coached to manage the game.

However, it's also my opinion that he lacks the instincts, awareness, and reflexes to maximize his athletic potential. You can have speed, quickness, strength, etc. and not have the ability to integrate those traits really well on the field. That's my take on him after watching him this season.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:48 pm

Lord Vigo wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:42 pm
catatac wrote:
Lord Vigo wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
spring creek cat wrote:

However, it's also my opinion that he lacks the instincts, awareness, and reflexes to maximize his athletic potential. You can have speed, quickness, strength, etc. and not have the ability to integrate those traits really well on the field. That's my take on him after watching him this season.
Have you watched his NC State highlights? He's a totally different player now than he was at NC State.

Lord Vigo
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Lord Vigo » Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:00 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:48 pm
Lord Vigo wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:42 pm
catatac wrote:
Lord Vigo wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
spring creek cat wrote:

Have you watched his NC State highlights? He's a totally different player now than he was at NC State.
Yeah, but it's been a while. IIRC, he looked more decisive as a passer and used the middle of the field more often. But I don't recall him looking like a markedly more dangerous rusher/scrambler in his play there.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:06 pm

TomCat88 wrote:

Both showed coaches they could handle a full playbook. I recall in this board that posters at practices were saying McGhee was the best QB on the roster even as a true freshman. Lulay was a total stunner because he played at a small HS just east of Salem and was a total unknown until he wasn’t.

Tommy runs a very limited playbook. Wouldn’t logic say if the coaches thought he could handle more, he’d have more plays to work with as QB?

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:10 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
onceacat wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:

Hated to see him leave.

Ike McGhee/Lulay?

Wait … you’re comparing a freshman QB with a handful of pass completions to one of the best QBs in MSU history? One who also played pro ball after college.

At this point from what I’ve seen of Mellot, he’s Chris Murray as a QB. Hopefully that changes, but that’s how the coaches use him and I’ll trust their judgment.

What a ride

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:14 pm

PapaG wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:06 pm
TomCat88 wrote:

Both showed coaches they could handle a full playbook. I recall in this board that posters at practices were saying McGhee was the best QB on the roster even as a true freshman. Lulay was a total stunner because he played at a small HS just east of Salem and was a total unknown until he wasn’t.

Tommy runs a very limited playbook. Wouldn’t logic say if the coaches thought he could handle more, he’d have more plays to work with as QB?
I’ve been hearing since mid-season that the coaches and players are very high on him. Not sure what all that means. He may or may not have a good handle on things. If so, timing is everything sometimes. He’s a very bright individual and he’s had quite a bit of time.

toM StUber

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:17 pm

PapaG wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:10 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
onceacat wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:

Hated to see him leave.

Ike McGhee/Lulay?

Wait … you’re comparing a freshman QB with a handful of pass completions to one of the best QBs in MSU history? One who also played pro ball after college.

At this point from what I’ve seen of Mellot, he’s Chris Murray as a QB. Hopefully that changes, but that’s how the coaches use him and I’ll trust their judgment.
No, I’m comparing him to four of the best.

toM StUber

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:21 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:14 pm
PapaG wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:06 pm
TomCat88 wrote:

I’ve been hearing since mid-season that the coaches and players are very high on him. Not sure what all that means. He may or may not have a good handle on things. If so, timing is everything sometimes. He’s a very bright individual and he’s had quite a bit of time.
Well yeah, he’s a smart young man and a leader. I’m high on him too, but not as a QB at the moment. A real spring camp and stability in coaching after Choate bailed will do wonders I’m guessing.

What a ride

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:11 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:17 pm
PapaG wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
onceacat wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:

Hated to see him leave.

Ike McGhee/Lulay?

Based on what? I do think Mellot has a great chance of being one of the best WRs or Ss in program history

What a ride

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:39 pm

PapaG wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:11 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:17 pm
PapaG wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
onceacat wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:

Hated to see him leave.

Ike McGhee/Lulay?

Based on what? I do think Mellot has a great chance of being one of the best WRs or Ss in program history
Watching him play and talking to coaches and MSU insiders. It's Mellott with 2 t's. (pronounced Mel Ott, like the baseball player)

toM StUber

coochorama42
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by coochorama42 » Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:07 am

I absolutely love Tommy Mellott. I think there is something about him that is just different. It would not surprise me at all if he wins the starting job next fall and never cedes it. He is just a phenomenal talent and his leadership capacity is elite.

That being said, you are not setting him up to succeed by throwing him out there against UTM, let alone Sam Houston. If the coaches decide that someone other than McKay gives the team a better chance to win, they will play him. I just doubt that happens.

I also would like to remind everyone that these people are real human beings we are talking out. We do not know what injuries they might be playing through, let alone what might be going on in their lives outside the 3-4 hours we see them on the field on Saturdays.

I will be cheering whoever is out on that field Saturday. This team has just as much chance of making a run as any in recent memory.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:17 am

coochorama42 wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:07 am
I absolutely love Tommy Mellott. I think there is something about him that is just different. It would not surprise me at all if he wins the starting job next fall and never cedes it. He is just a phenomenal talent and his leadership capacity is elite.

That being said, you are not setting him up to succeed by throwing him out there against UTM, let alone Sam Houston. If the coaches decide that someone other than McKay gives the team a better chance to win, they will play him. I just doubt that happens.

I also would like to remind everyone that these people are real human beings we are talking out. We do not know what injuries they might be playing through, let alone what might be going on in their lives outside the 3-4 hours we see them on the field on Saturdays.

I will be cheering whoever is out on that field Saturday. This team has just as much chance of making a run as any in recent memory.
I think UTM is the perfect time to start Mellott. I think he's ready. Not sure why anyone thinks he isn't. He isn't too young or too inexperienced, and he isn't a bad player.

That being said, I have no idea if he's going to start. I haven't heard anything from anyone that would clearly know that says he is starting.

So we'll just have to see. I think if he starts he'll play very well. Makes absolutely no difference to me who starts where for MSU. Just like to watch them play.

toM StUber

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:28 am

I don’t know if the answer is rovig, mellott or someone else. All I know is that the answer is NOT Mckay. If u step back and look at the big picture, he has regressed significantly the 2nd half of the season.

I am still shocked that the coaches refused to pull him in the 2nd half of cat-griz.

If literally ANY other position on the field is playing that poorly, they are replaced immediately. What’s the hold up?

Again, it’s not like rovig is some scrub. He has been in the program like 5 years and took the team to the semis the last go around.

I guess we will see in a couple days.

FTG- GO CATS GO!

coochorama42
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by coochorama42 » Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:46 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:17 am

I think UTM is the perfect time to start Mellott. I think he's ready. Not sure why anyone thinks he isn't. He isn't too young or too inexperienced, and he isn't a bad player.

That being said, I have no idea if he's going to start. I haven't heard anything from anyone that would clearly know that says he is starting.

So we'll just have to see. I think if he starts he'll play very well. Makes absolutely no difference to me who starts where for MSU. Just like to watch them play.
I hope you are right. I was in WGS for Dave Dickenson's insane debut against SDSU (grew up in Western MT; became a Cat fan after we moved to Belgrade in the 1990s). Everyone has compared Mellott to MSU QB, but the swagger he has reminds me of Dave. Different style, but his leadership is easy to see.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:48 am

mslacatfan wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:28 am
I don’t know if the answer is rovig, mellott or someone else. All I know is that the answer is NOT Mckay. If u step back and look at the big picture, he has regressed significantly the 2nd half of the season.

I am still shocked that the coaches refused to pull him in the 2nd half of cat-griz.

If literally ANY other position on the field is playing that poorly, they are replaced immediately. What’s the hold up?

Again, it’s not like rovig is some scrub. He has been in the program like 5 years and took the team to the semis the last go around.

I guess we will see in a couple days.
Yes, the passing game production has regressed. Very hard to say what all the factors are that led to that. The QB is under a big spotlight, but a lot goes in to having a successful, efficient passing game. Pass blocking, route running, play calling, down and distance just off the top of my head can affect those things, not just QB play. If the coaches think the issue is the QB, then they would -- as you said -- replace that player immediately. I have no doubt about that.

toM StUber

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:56 am

coochorama42 wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:46 am
TomCat88 wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:17 am

I hope you are right. I was in WGS for Dave Dickenson's insane debut against SDSU (grew up in Western MT; became a Cat fan after we moved to Belgrade in the 1990s). Everyone has compared Mellott to MSU QB, but the swagger he has reminds me of Dave. Different style, but his leadership is easy to see.
Yes, I can see similar leadership characteristics between Mellott and Dickenson. Dickenson was just an insanely instinctual, smart football player with great vision. He could see things develop at a very high level.

toM StUber