Choate May Be In Trouble

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Re: Choate May Be In Trouble

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:52 pm

onceacat wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:09 pm
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:02 pm
91catAlum wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:55 pm
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:27 pm
AFCAT wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 3:27 pm
justafan wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 1:03 pm
I do not feel sorry for him one iota. glad he left.
You’re glad the guy who never lost to the griz left?
What if I told you one of the factors in his leaving was he thought MSU was at the peak of what could be done here?
Thats false. Heard him myself say that the next step was to get a top 2 seed so that you can get NDSU outside the fargodome.
Had we won last week, we would've done just that. Along with a conference title.
You don’t have to believe it if you don’t want. What a person tells a family member is often different than what he tells the public.
I'm not saying you don't have some inside information that we don't. But this doesn't pass the smell test.

Choate didn't try to leave after the 2019 season when his stock was highest, he waited for his dream job in Boise to open up. When he didn't get the Boise job, I think it was clear that he wasn't going to get looks for a good HC job sticking with the Cats.

I also think its totally possible that he didn't think HE could take the Cats any further.

But the suggestion that Choate doesn't think MSU can compete for a natty? Sounds like something a dude convinced himself of after he already decided that it was in his own personal interest to move on.
Hey, I understand that it sounds crazy. I’d take it with a grain of salt, but it does make sense when you think about the way he left. It probably just wasn’t going to happen as soon as he wanted it to.

I’ve held onto this information for a long time, I knew about it shortly after Choate left. Everything else I had gotten information wise had always been correct, no reason for me not to think on this. If people wanna be mad about it, I really don’t care. It is what it is.

rivercat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by rivercat » Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:58 pm

onceacat wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:42 pm
BobcatDel wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:37 pm
FYI wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:04 pm
rivercat wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:36 pm
spring creek cat wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:33 pm
CatsNoMatterWhat wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:11 pm
Texas defense looking lost against K-State and a recent FCS coach.

Ouch.
Isn’t messinhahm still at k state? So choate is coaching against a coach that he might of pushed out of town. 🤷🏼‍♂️
I think Messingham got offered the OC position at NDSU and wasn't pushed out by Choate.
Correct.
I never really warmed up to Choate. It appeared to me, based on his track record, he would do what he needed to do to move on. He did and he did.
Yes Messingham is still at Kansas State. I was at the game two weeks ago with KSU vs. West Virginia. KSU has one of the best running backs in the nation and prevailed in that particular game.

Someone else might remember better than me, but when Choate came in…as I recall he basically told us as fans that to build the program he wanted….he told us to expect….in Year 1 we would lose big…..in Year 2 we were going to lose small….in Year 3 we were going to win small….and in Year 4 we were going to win big. That was pretty much how it went….with a 11-3 record, dominating win over Griz and semi-final appearance in Year 4. I think we, as an FCS team, had the patient to wait and observe the benefit of building a program over the long haul. At the same time, I wonder if a Power 5 program like UT has a fan base willing to wait out a rebuilding program like that….when I was in Texas that fan base was pretty rabid.

As to Choate doing what he needed to do to move up…….I would much rather have a coach who wanted to succeed and move on than one happy to “exist” in his position. As a supervisor/manager in my past life I found bright smart aggressive ambitious leaders made my job much easier and I enjoyed helping them to move on to a better job….and kept me on my toes to develop and build the next group of leaders…..sure a better scenario than watching someone retire in place.
I don't remember anything remotely close to that back in 2016. I remember everyone being shocked at how poorly the offense played in 2016 despite being stacked with NFL talent & then after a terrible season going back & trying to revise early season expectations.

Super happy with Choate going 4-0 against the Griz, but literally nobody said anything remotely close to that in public until later.
I remember Choate saying that but don't remember being "stacked with NFL talent"

Maybe I missed your joke.

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

BobcatDel
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by BobcatDel » Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:00 pm

onceacat wrote:
BobcatDel wrote:
FYI wrote:
rivercat wrote:
spring creek cat wrote:
CatsNoMatterWhat wrote:

Ouch.
Isn’t messinhahm still at k state? So choate is coaching against a coach that he might of pushed out of town. 🤷🏼‍♂️
I think Messingham got offered the OC position at NDSU and wasn't pushed out by Choate.
Correct.
I never really warmed up to Choate. It appeared to me, based on his track record, he would do what he needed to do to move on. He did and he did.
Yes Messingham is still at Kansas State. I was at the game two weeks ago with KSU vs. West Virginia. KSU has one of the best running backs in the nation and prevailed in that particular game.

Someone else might remember better than me, but when Choate came in…as I recall he basically told us as fans that to build the program he wanted….he told us to expect….in Year 1 we would lose big…..in Year 2 we were going to lose small….in Year 3 we were going to win small….and in Year 4 we were going to win big. That was pretty much how it went….with a 11-3 record, dominating win over Griz and semi-final appearance in Year 4. I think we, as an FCS team, had the patient to wait and observe the benefit of building a program over the long haul. At the same time, I wonder if a Power 5 program like UT has a fan base willing to wait out a rebuilding program like that….when I was in Texas that fan base was pretty rabid.

As to Choate doing what he needed to do to move up…….I would much rather have a coach who wanted to succeed and move on than one happy to “exist” in his position. As a supervisor/manager in my past life I found bright smart aggressive ambitious leaders made my job much easier and I enjoyed helping them to move on to a better job….and kept me on my toes to develop and build the next group of leaders…..sure a better scenario than watching someone retire in place.
I don't remember anything remotely close to that back in 2016. I remember everyone being shocked at how poorly the offense played in 2016 despite being stacked with NFL talent & then after a terrible season going back & trying to revise early season expectations.

Super happy with Choate going 4-0 against the Griz, but literally nobody said anything remotely close to that in public until later.
Well he did say it early on when he came in. Might have only been in one of the QB club meetings but it was clear he had a vision of what it would take to build a program.

jgrilley406
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by jgrilley406 » Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:08 pm

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:52 pm
onceacat wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
justafan wrote:
What if I told you one of the factors in his leaving was he thought MSU was at the peak of what could be done here?
Thats false. Heard him myself say that the next step was to get a top 2 seed so that you can get NDSU outside the fargodome.
Had we won last week, we would've done just that. Along with a conference title.
You don’t have to believe it if you don’t want. What a person tells a family member is often different than what he tells the public.
I'm not saying you don't have some inside information that we don't. But this doesn't pass the smell test.

Choate didn't try to leave after the 2019 season when his stock was highest, he waited for his dream job in Boise to open up. When he didn't get the Boise job, I think it was clear that he wasn't going to get looks for a good HC job sticking with the Cats.

I also think its totally possible that he didn't think HE could take the Cats any further.

But the suggestion that Choate doesn't think MSU can compete for a natty? Sounds like something a dude convinced himself of after he already decided that it was in his own personal interest to move on.
Hey, I understand that it sounds crazy. I’d take it with a grain of salt, but it does make sense when you think about the way he left. It probably just wasn’t going to happen as soon as he wanted it to.

I’ve held onto this information for a long time, I knew about it shortly after Choate left. Everything else I had gotten information wise had always been correct, no reason for me not to think on this. If people wanna be mad about it, I really don’t care. It is what it is.
Find it hard to believe that he didn’t think the cats didn’t have a chance at it this year. Before he left he had to think McKay had the chance to be the qb he had been waiting for, Wood was still on the team, so he had to feel confident that he had a dominant o line, and oh Troy was still here. Think he had a great opportunity and he took it, bet looking back at it, if he knew how things would end up he would’ve stayed. Meaning if he knew UW would fire their coach this year, he would’ve stayed, just cause taking this program deep in the playoffs again would look better than what’s going on in Texas now, if he’s in fact wanting to coach at UW.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:15 pm

If we had peaked under Choate it was because he couldn't develop a QB, get anyone to develop a QB, or honestly recruit a QB that could be the guy.

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:16 pm

jgrilley406 wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:08 pm
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
onceacat wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
justafan wrote:

Find it hard to believe that he didn’t think the cats didn’t have a chance at it this year. Before he left he had to think McKay had the chance to be the qb he had been waiting for, Wood was still on the team, so he had to feel confident that he had a dominant o line, and oh Troy was still here. Think he had a great opportunity and he took it, bet looking back at it, if he knew how things would end up he would’ve stayed. Meaning if he knew UW would fire their coach this year, he would’ve stayed, just cause taking this program deep in the playoffs again would look better than what’s going on in Texas now, if he’s in fact wanting to coach at UW.
If he stayed, the only way UW hires him is if we went undefeated and won every game by 30+ on the way to a championship.

UW is going to want to hire an experienced FBS HC, or phenom coordinator. You just don’t go from a BSC school to premier PAC-12 program.

jgrilley406
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by jgrilley406 » Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:41 pm

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:16 pm
jgrilley406 wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:08 pm
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
onceacat wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
justafan wrote:

If he stayed, the only way UW hires him is if we went undefeated and won every game by 30+ on the way to a championship.

UW is going to want to hire an experienced FBS HC, or phenom coordinator. You just don’t go from a BSC school to premier PAC-12 program.
Not necessarily saying the HC job but getting an in as a position something similar to what he’s doing at Texas there. The whole time he was in at Bozeman it just seemed he wanted to go back to UW or Boise and as something more than just coaching special teams. I’m just saying hypothetically, if he knew how things would pan out at Texas and what unfolded at UW, doubt he leaves Bozeman this year. With how poor Texas have done this year compared to years past (especially on defense), I wouldn’t be surprised they let Choate go after the season.

GoldstoneCat

Post by GoldstoneCat » Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:50 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:15 pm
If we had peaked under Choate it was because he couldn't develop a QB, get anyone to develop a QB, or honestly recruit a QB that could be the guy.
This. We're still feeling the effects of those failures. He gets credit for building this defense, although the current staff does too because 15 in the middle is what makes it go. But their inability to solve QB lingers to this day. I'd look for at least 1 transfer QB coming in after the season.

onceacat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by onceacat » Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:54 pm

rivercat wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:58 pm
onceacat wrote:
BobcatDel wrote:
FYI wrote:
rivercat wrote:
spring creek cat wrote:
CatsNoMatterWhat wrote:

Ouch.
Correct.

I remember Choate saying that but don't remember being "stacked with NFL talent"

JP Fynn. Chad Newell got a tryout. Mitch Herbert probably would have if his senior season hadn't been so bad. Maybe NFL talent is an exaggeration, but that was as good an offensive unit (outside of QB) as the Cats have ever put on the field.

Maybe Choate said that in QB club meetings. In public, he made it crystal clear that the team needed tweaks, not a fundamental rebuild. Until it became clear that nobody on staff understood how to run an offense or coach a QB.

Revisionism of history is no way to go through life.

catpound
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by catpound » Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:27 pm

Coach Choate wants to be a HC in the PAC 12, at the very least the Mountain West. He was never going to get that shot by staying with the Cats. Taking his team the Semifinals is pretty close to the pinnacle and it's difficult to get that far no matter how talented your team is (unless you're NDSU of course) and who knows how long until you make it back that far in the playoffs so I imagine he thought the time was right to make the jump, especially with the Boise job opening. When he didn't get that job he took the best opportunity he had to get him to his end goal of being a PAC 12 HC. Sark and Kwiatkowski both have deep PAC 12 roots so "hooking" (pun intended) on with them is not a surprise.

BStinsMSU
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by BStinsMSU » Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:34 pm

catpound wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:27 pm
Coach Choate wants to be a HC in the PAC 12, at the very least the Mountain West. He was never going to get that shot by staying with the Cats. Taking his team the Semifinals is pretty close to the pinnacle and it's difficult to get that far no matter how talented your team is (unless you're NDSU of course) and who knows how long until you make it back that far in the playoffs so I imagine he thought the time was right to make the jump, especially with the Boise job opening. When he didn't get that job he took the best opportunity he had to get him to his end goal of being a PAC 12 HC. Sark and Kwiatkowski both have deep PAC 12 roots so "hooking" (pun intended) on with them is not a surprise.
+1, I wasn’t as active on BN at the time he took the Texas job, but I thought we were all generally in agreement that he wants to be a head coach at the FBS level (which he can do I fully believe) and taking an assistant coach job at, regardless of this years success, one of the most recognized football programs in the country. I agree that the attachment to Sark was iffy and this year proved it, but regardless of how this year went, his experience at Texas on the resume is arguably more valuable than another year at MSU.

Feels just selfish and idiotic to just assume Choate quit on MSU because he “peaked” or whatever. Let’s be thankful for what he did for us and root for his success that he can reach his goal

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Living on the KittieKop Legacy...

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:19 pm

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:40 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:36 pm
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
justafan wrote:
What the hell is wrong with you? You hear an unsubstantiated statement/rumor and come post it here like it is fact. Then claim that it came from a family member of Choate??? If any of that is true, wouldn’t that family member have shared that with you in confidence? Yet you go post it like fact? What satisfaction do you get out of such a post?

This is great example of why this board has become so difficult to enjoy anymore.
I’m sure you stalking people has nothing to do with the enjoyment of the board going down, huh?
Deflect much??? At least you could admit that you are spreading unfounded rumors. Attacking the character of Coach who did a lot for the program. Why do you do something like that? Does prop up your anonymous ego? Or are you just trying to defame a guy?

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:28 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:19 pm
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
justafan wrote:
What the hell is wrong with you? You hear an unsubstantiated statement/rumor and come post it here like it is fact. Then claim that it came from a family member of Choate??? If any of that is true, wouldn’t that family member have shared that with you in confidence? Yet you go post it like fact? What satisfaction do you get out of such a post?

This is great example of why this board has become so difficult to enjoy anymore.
I’m sure you stalking people has nothing to do with the enjoyment of the board going down, huh?
Deflect much??? At least you could admit that you are spreading unfounded rumors. Attacking the character of Coach who did a lot for the program. Why do you do something like that? Does prop up your anonymous ego? Or are you just trying to defame a guy?
Lol.

There’s nothing in there that attacked his character. Shoot, I’ve seen a lot worse said about him than that. I have nothing against Choate. Good coach. Very good at marketing himself. Again, nothing defaming or anything that could be defined as attacking character.

You, on the other hand, are a choade and a stalker. Bad combo bro. I’ll make sure to put my Twitter on private so you don’t go looking for me.

rivercat

Post by rivercat » Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:29 pm

onceacat wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:54 pm
rivercat wrote:
onceacat wrote:
BobcatDel wrote:
FYI wrote:
rivercat wrote:
spring creek cat wrote:
CatsNoMatterWhat wrote:

Ouch.
Correct.

JP Fynn. Chad Newell got a tryout. Mitch Herbert probably would have if his senior season hadn't been so bad. Maybe NFL talent is an exaggeration, but that was as good an offensive unit (outside of QB) as the Cats have ever put on the field.

Maybe Choate said that in QB club meetings. In public, he made it crystal clear that the team needed tweaks, not a fundamental rebuild. Until it became clear that nobody on staff understood how to run an offense or coach a QB.

Choate said it and Colter repeated it throughout the years at least a dozen times.

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

BobcatDel

Post by BobcatDel » Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:47 pm

rivercat wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:29 pm
onceacat wrote:
rivercat wrote:
onceacat wrote:
BobcatDel wrote:
FYI wrote:
rivercat wrote:
spring creek cat wrote:
CatsNoMatterWhat wrote:

Ouch.
Correct.

Choate said it and Colter repeated it throughout the years at least a dozen times.
No revisionism. Perhaps just educating those who are unaware or did not hear the message. Choate said many many times to trust the process through the years. Even Ioane referred to “trusting the process” when he came back to MSU….in an interview.

From an interview on his return:
Ioane: “I think that first year when we were all together in 2016, we were starting the process of, ‘How can we get ourselves back to where Montana State football should be?’ Coach (Jeff) Choate was trying to implement what he felt should be the proper culture in which a successful team should have, a successful program should have. Initially it was a struggle, it was tough, because when you’re talking about changing culture, you’re talking about changing habits, you’re talking about changing a lot of things, and it takes time. It’s a process. I step away, I actually going to the University of Washington and kind of see the end result, to a certain extent, of coach (Chris) Petersen and how he had built that culture there at the University of Washington from when had first got there until then. It was kind of cool to kind of go from, here’s the start, here’s really what the end result could be. And then now getting a chance to come back and see how much progress has been made and see how close we are and to have seen, watched the playoff games, and to see the guys and just the way they go about their business, how they handle the locker room, and it’s so different from when I first left in 2016. That has been extremely encouraging, extremely positive. It’s been fun to just watch, ‘Ok, we’re on the verge. We’re on the verge of doing some special things around here.’ And we’ve just got continue on the path and stay disciplined to that path and to that process.”

GoCats18

Post by GoCats18 » Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:47 pm

If Choate gets a head coaching job anywhere in the FBS after the season Texas has had, I would be very shocked. If he goes to another Big Sky school, that would really suck. I would give anything to see him back on our sidelines, but we all know that would never happen.

Punters are people too!!

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:03 pm

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:28 pm
Cataholic wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
justafan wrote:

Lol.

There’s nothing in there that attacked his character. Shoot, I’ve seen a lot worse said about him than that. I have nothing against Choate. Good coach. Very good at marketing himself. Again, nothing defaming or anything that could be defined as attacking character.

You, on the other hand, are a choade and a stalker. Bad combo bro. I’ll make sure to put my Twitter on private so you don’t go looking for me.
Like anybody would want to follow a belligerent dude like you… :lol: :lol: :lol:

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:39 pm

BobcatDel wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:47 pm
rivercat wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:29 pm
onceacat wrote:
rivercat wrote:
onceacat wrote:
BobcatDel wrote:
FYI wrote:
rivercat wrote:
spring creek cat wrote:
CatsNoMatterWhat wrote:

Ouch.
Correct.

No revisionism. Perhaps just educating those who are unaware or did not hear the message. Choate said many many times to trust the process through the years. Even Ioane referred to “trusting the process” when he came back to MSU….in an interview.

From an interview on his return:
Ioane: “I think that first year when we were all together in 2016, we were starting the process of, ‘How can we get ourselves back to where Montana State football should be?’ Coach (Jeff) Choate was trying to implement what he felt should be the proper culture in which a successful team should have, a successful program should have. Initially it was a struggle, it was tough, because when you’re talking about changing culture, you’re talking about changing habits, you’re talking about changing a lot of things, and it takes time. It’s a process. I step away, I actually going to the University of Washington and kind of see the end result, to a certain extent, of coach (Chris) Petersen and how he had built that culture there at the University of Washington from when had first got there until then. It was kind of cool to kind of go from, here’s the start, here’s really what the end result could be. And then now getting a chance to come back and see how much progress has been made and see how close we are and to have seen, watched the playoff games, and to see the guys and just the way they go about their business, how they handle the locker room, and it’s so different from when I first left in 2016. That has been extremely encouraging, extremely positive. It’s been fun to just watch, ‘Ok, we’re on the verge. We’re on the verge of doing some special things around here.’ And we’ve just got continue on the path and stay disciplined to that path and to that process.”
Yes. 2 years later, they changed their tune. That wasn’t the story when they got here.

But you got to give them credit for effectively erasing the pressers from the first 6 months from everyone’s memory.

Here’s a nice trip down memory lane.

https://bobcatnation.com/bobcatbb/viewt ... 20&t=38105

Lord Vigo

Post by Lord Vigo » Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:35 pm

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:28 pm
Cataholic wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
justafan wrote:

Lol.

Your post was not sufficiently positive and thus is was met with severe disapproval from our favorite Twitter surfer.

Lord Vigo

Post by Lord Vigo » Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:39 pm

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
justafan wrote:
That may be true, but if I heard him say that my first thought would be “recruit a quarterback and then let’s decide what the peak is…”