Choate May Be In Trouble

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

aucat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Re: Choate May Be In Trouble

Post by aucat » Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:44 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 3:27 pm
justafan wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 1:03 pm
I do not feel sorry for him one iota. glad he left.
You’re glad the guy who never lost to the griz left?
Amen to that. I remember right after Choate was hired. We were tailgating near the tennis courts and I went into the Brick to use the bathroom. Choate was walking down the steps and I merely said "Good luck Coach." He turned around, came all the way back up the stairs, stuck out his hand to a complete stranger and said "Thank you very much, I appreciate it." He could have just yelled back thanks and kept going.

No, after getting kicked around for so many years by the Griz, I absolutely loved Choate. The guy had swagger and that came across with our team. I remember the Rob Ash years too well. This year's game with the Griz reminded me of those years.

I wish he was still here but he's not. So I hope Vigen has developed an good understanding of the importance of this game. I would rather be 7-4 with a win over the Griz than 9-2 and getting our tails handed to us.

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:49 pm

Common Cat wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:33 pm
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:27 pm
AFCAT wrote:
justafan wrote:
What if I told you one of the factors in his leaving was he thought MSU was at the peak of what could be done here?
Maybe, but I find that hard to believe. Are you implying he didn’t think we could win a Big Sky or NC title?
I also was surprised to hear it. NC title.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:53 pm

aucat wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:44 pm
AFCAT wrote:
justafan wrote:
Amen to that. I remember right after Choate was hired. We were tailgating near the tennis courts and I went into the Brick to use the bathroom. Choate was walking down the steps and I merely said "Good luck Coach." He turned around, came all the way back up the stairs, stuck out his hand to a complete stranger and said "Thank you very much, I appreciate it." He could have just yelled back thanks and kept going.

No, after getting kicked around for so many years by the Griz, I absolutely loved Choate. The guy had swagger and that came across with our team. I remember the Rob Ash years too well. This year's game with the Griz reminded me of those years.

I wish he was still here but he's not. So I hope Vigen has developed an good understanding of the importance of this game. I would rather be 7-4 with a win over the Griz than 9-2 and getting our tails handed to us.
Not me, I'll take the 9-2. Last week sucked for sure, I can't stand losing to those guys. But 9-2 means a bye week and a seed. 7-4 means playing the first round and then going on the road to a seed, usually NDSU. HUGE difference there.
I think most MSU fans would agree with me in this day and age. If this was 2002, then you're right, it was more important to beat the griz. But now, we need to set our sights a little higher.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:55 pm

bertram wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:35 pm
Vandal fans are drooling at thought of him being let go.
Zero chance he goes to Idaho

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:55 pm

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
justafan wrote:
What if I told you one of the factors in his leaving was he thought MSU was at the peak of what could be done here?
Thats false. Heard him myself say that the next step was to get a top 2 seed so that you can get NDSU outside the fargodome.
Had we won last week, we would've done just that. Along with a conference title.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:58 pm

aucat wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
justafan wrote:

I have no problem with Choate going the P5 assistant route at a power program but as mentioned earlier, attaching his future to Sark makes it a risky move.

That said, if Texas ends on a win today they probably being back the gang one more time unless Sark needs Choate as a scapegoat.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:01 pm

91catAlum wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:55 pm
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
justafan wrote:
Thats false. Heard him myself say that the next step was to get a top 2 seed so that you can get NDSU outside the fargodome.
Had we won last week, we would've done just that. Along with a conference title.
Yeah, Choate thinking the program peaked makes no sense. It was an opportunity move for his goal as a lower P5 or upper G5 HC job, not a fleeing a program that had peaked move IMO.

The most successful coach in recent FCS history took over a bad Wyoming program and has them near their peak and people still want him fired.

What a ride

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:02 pm

91catAlum wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
justafan wrote:
You don’t have to believe it if you don’t want. What a person tells a family member is often different than what he tells the public.

CatsNoMatterWhat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by CatsNoMatterWhat » Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:11 pm

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:02 pm
91catAlum wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
justafan wrote:
You don’t have to believe it if you don’t want. What a person tells a family member is often different than what he tells the public.
If we are talking about his belief that NDSU and JMU can pay players cash on top of scholarship and MSU can’t, so therefor, until the playing field is level, MSU will have trouble getting over the hump, then I could perhaps understand him feeling this way.

If he felt that MSU isn’t the sort of environment that can support a NC program year after year, I would find it very hard to believe he felt that way. Bozeman is one of the greatest FCS campuses, it has one of the greatest FCS stadiums, a University President who is hellbent on winning, and a great fan base.

Just my feel. But if you’re his family member you’d know better than me.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:14 pm

aucat wrote:
I would rather be 7-4 with a win over the Griz than 9-2 and getting our tails handed to us.
You’re one of the fans who the Griz talk about as caring life about beating the Griz than winning championships.

I disagree with your opinion but I understand why some feel that way.

What a ride

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:15 pm

Fox with a shot of Sark and Choate smiling and embracing. May have just saved Jeff’s job.

What a ride

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:32 pm

91catAlum wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
justafan wrote:
This!

But that ship has sailed. Let’s hope Vigen can find his footing ASAP

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:35 pm

CatsNoMatterWhat wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:11 pm
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
justafan wrote:
If we are talking about his belief that NDSU and JMU can pay players cash on top of scholarship and MSU can’t, so therefor, until the playing field is level, MSU will have trouble getting over the hump, then I could perhaps understand him feeling this way.

If he felt that MSU isn’t the sort of environment that can support a NC program year after year, I would find it very hard to believe he felt that way. Bozeman is one of the greatest FCS campuses, it has one of the greatest FCS stadiums, a University President who is hellbent on winning, and a great fan base.

Just my feel. But if you’re his family member you’d know better than me.
To clarify, I’m not. Be cool if I was though, I bet he’s a hoot at get togethers.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:45 pm

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
justafan wrote:
OK, are you his son Jory? his daughter? or his wife?
Or are you talking about 3rd hand information you got from someone?

onceacat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by onceacat » Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:09 pm

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
justafan wrote:
I'm not saying you don't have some inside information that we don't. But this doesn't pass the smell test.

Choate didn't try to leave after the 2019 season when his stock was highest, he waited for his dream job in Boise to open up. When he didn't get the Boise job, I think it was clear that he wasn't going to get looks for a good HC job sticking with the Cats.

I also think its totally possible that he didn't think HE could take the Cats any further.

But the suggestion that Choate doesn't think MSU can compete for a natty? Sounds like something a dude convinced himself of after he already decided that it was in his own personal interest to move on.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:36 pm

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
justafan wrote:
What the hell is wrong with you? You hear an unsubstantiated statement/rumor and come post it here like it is fact. Then claim that it came from a family member of Choate??? If any of that is true, wouldn’t that family member have shared that with you in confidence? Yet you go post it like fact? What satisfaction do you get out of such a post?

This is great example of why this board has become so difficult to enjoy anymore.

BobcatDel
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by BobcatDel » Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:37 pm

FYI wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:04 pm
rivercat wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:36 pm
spring creek cat wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:33 pm
CatsNoMatterWhat wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:11 pm
Texas defense looking lost against K-State and a recent FCS coach.

Ouch.
Isn’t messinhahm still at k state? So choate is coaching against a coach that he might of pushed out of town. 🤷🏼‍♂️
I think Messingham got offered the OC position at NDSU and wasn't pushed out by Choate.
Correct.
I never really warmed up to Choate. It appeared to me, based on his track record, he would do what he needed to do to move on. He did and he did.
Yes Messingham is still at Kansas State. I was at the game two weeks ago with KSU vs. West Virginia. KSU has one of the best running backs in the nation and prevailed in that particular game.

Someone else might remember better than me, but when Choate came in…as I recall he basically told us as fans that to build the program he wanted….he told us to expect….in Year 1 we would lose big…..in Year 2 we were going to lose small….in Year 3 we were going to win small….and in Year 4 we were going to win big. That was pretty much how it went….with a 11-4 record, dominating win over Griz and semi-final appearance in Year 4. I think we, as an FCS team, had the patient to wait and observe the benefit of building a program over the long haul. At the same time, I wonder if a Power 5 program like UT has a fan base willing to wait out a rebuilding program like that….when I was in Texas that fan base was pretty rabid.

As to Choate doing what he needed to do to move up…….I would much rather have a coach who wanted to succeed and move on than one happy to “exist” in his position. As a supervisor/manager in my past life I found bright smart aggressive ambitious leaders made my job much easier and I enjoyed helping them to move on to a better job….and kept me on my toes to develop and build the next group of leaders…..sure a better scenario than watching someone retire in place.
Last edited by BobcatDel on Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:40 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:36 pm
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
justafan wrote:
What the hell is wrong with you? You hear an unsubstantiated statement/rumor and come post it here like it is fact. Then claim that it came from a family member of Choate??? If any of that is true, wouldn’t that family member have shared that with you in confidence? Yet you go post it like fact? What satisfaction do you get out of such a post?

This is great example of why this board has become so difficult to enjoy anymore.
I’m sure you stalking people has nothing to do with the enjoyment of the board going down, huh?

utucats
Member # Retired

Post by utucats » Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:42 pm

BobcatDel wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:37 pm
FYI wrote:
rivercat wrote:
spring creek cat wrote:
CatsNoMatterWhat wrote:

Ouch.
Isn’t messinhahm still at k state? So choate is coaching against a coach that he might of pushed out of town. 🤷🏼‍♂️
I think Messingham got offered the OC position at NDSU and wasn't pushed out by Choate.
Correct.
I never really warmed up to Choate. It appeared to me, based on his track record, he would do what he needed to do to move on. He did and he did.
Yes Messingham is still at Kansas State. I was at the game two weeks ago with KSU vs. West Virginia. KSU has one of the best running backs in the nation and prevailed in that particular game.

Someone else might remember better than me, but when Choate came in…as I recall he basically told us as fans that to build the program he wanted….he told us to expect….in Year 1 we would lose big…..in Year 2 we were going to lose small….in Year 3 we were going to win small….and in Year 4 we were going to win big. That was pretty much how it went….with a 11-4 record, dominating win over Griz and semi-final appearance in Year 4. I think we, as an FCS team, had the patient to wait and observe the benefit of building a program over the long haul. At the same time, I wonder if a Power 5 program like UT has a fan base willing to wait out a rebuilding program like that….when I was in Texas that fan base was pretty rabid.

As to Choate doing what he needed to do to move up…….I would much rather have a coach who wanted to succeed and move on than one happy to “exist” in his position. As a supervisor/manager in my past life I found bright smart aggressive ambitious leaders made my job much easier and I enjoyed helping them to move on to a better job….and kept me on my toes to develop and build the next group of leaders…..sure a better scenario than watching someone retire in place.
=D^

onceacat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by onceacat » Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:42 pm

BobcatDel wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:37 pm
FYI wrote:
rivercat wrote:
spring creek cat wrote:
CatsNoMatterWhat wrote:

Ouch.
Correct.

Someone else might remember better than me, but when Choate came in…as I recall he basically told us as fans that to build the program he wanted….he told us to expect….in Year 1 we would lose big…..in Year 2 we were going to lose small….in Year 3 we were going to win small….and in Year 4 we were going to win big. That was pretty much how it went….with a 11-3 record, dominating win over Griz and semi-final appearance in Year 4. I think we, as an FCS team, had the patient to wait and observe the benefit of building a program over the long haul. At the same time, I wonder if a Power 5 program like UT has a fan base willing to wait out a rebuilding program like that….when I was in Texas that fan base was pretty rabid.

I don't remember anything remotely close to that back in 2016. I remember everyone being shocked at how poorly the offense played in 2016 despite being stacked with NFL talent & then after a terrible season going back & trying to revise early season expectations.

Super happy with Choate going 4-0 against the Griz, but literally nobody said anything remotely close to that in public until later.