The Official-unofficial CAT-fizz gameday thread

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

KIX
BobcatNation Letterman

Re: The Official-unofficial CAT-fizz gameday thread

Post by KIX » Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:48 pm

Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:02 pm
I don’t know, when Tommy was called in and he yells ****** That? Or when he yells at Lance after he throws it to the Idaho defender. Believe what you want, I don’t care, but the players don’t look at him as a leader and it obviously showed today in spades.
Yep. McKay is not a leader nor creates any kind of inspiration you'd like to see from that position.No energy, poor body language and demeanor.

KIX
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by KIX » Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:50 pm

Mtcatfan wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:47 pm
Is it possible we call a play designed to counter attack a seven or eight man bull rush? Just one screen pass please. Just one. One draw play. Just one. Anything designed to indicate we have a clue how to deal with this defensive onslaught. Let’s go Cats. Cmon coaches figure this crap out. We have a loaded team. Looking forward to the playoffs. I’m still optimistic. We all should be.
Vigen has been commenting on our poor offense since the Weber game....coaches ain't gonna figure nothing out at this point.

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:32 pm

KIX wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:50 pm
Mtcatfan wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:47 pm
Is it possible we call a play designed to counter attack a seven or eight man bull rush? Just one screen pass please. Just one. One draw play. Just one. Anything designed to indicate we have a clue how to deal with this defensive onslaught. Let’s go Cats. Cmon coaches figure this crap out. We have a loaded team. Looking forward to the playoffs. I’m still optimistic. We all should be.
Vigen has been commenting on our poor offense since the Weber game....coaches ain't gonna figure nothing out at this point.
Weber game? Thought it was the Wyoming game.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:57 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:58 pm
Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:02 pm
I don’t know, when Tommy was called in and he yells ****** That? Or when he yells at Lance after he throws it to the Idaho defender. Believe what you want, I don’t care, but the players don’t look at him as a leader and it obviously showed today in spades.
I've never heard that when Tommy goes in and I sit 3 rows up on our sideline. I have seen him get a little upset but never yell anything. And I suppose Tom Brady never yells at his receivers either?
Neither have I.

Bocephus
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Bocephus » Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:30 pm

Man I miss Mitch Brott. A stout O-line gives you so many options as a team. If McKay had more time, if Ifanse had more lanes, if we get more first downs and control the clock. I hope we are recruiting some DUDES to play O-Line.

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:09 am

The two teams that beat them, beat them with the pass first to slow down their rush. Even Southern Utah almost beat them with a short passing game. If you can't do that, you are screwed.

My observation would be: You can throw passes designed to beat the blitz, but you can't run inside zone designed to beat it.

If you are a run first offense, you had better have an OL like the Bison because UM has proved all year that people have trouble running against them.

2024 Resume dominance

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:26 am

saintcat40 wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 4:44 pm
Did Vigen give a post-game interview? I didn’t hear one on the radio
It's on YouTube. Vigen was very classy. Troy very subdued but not grumpy. Matt was very....strange in his demeanor...kind of like...."even I made a mistake or two"

The last question to Vigen was kind of incoherent, but I think it might have been something like..."did you consult coach Choate for tips on beating the Griz"
Vigen who was very matter of fact and tried to answer all questions as if they were important, replied, "I think I'll let that one go" and he got up and left!

2024 Resume dominance

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:31 am

Helcat72 wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:26 am
saintcat40 wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 4:44 pm
Did Vigen give a post-game interview? I didn’t hear one on the radio
It's on YouTube. Vigen was very classy. Troy very subdued but not grumpy. Matt was very....strange in his demeanor...kind of like...."even I made a mistake or two"

The last question to Vigen was kind of incoherent, but I think it might have been something like..."did you consult coach Choate for tips on beating the Griz"
Vigen who was very matter of fact and tried to answer all questions as if they were important, replied, "I think I'll let that one go" and he got up and left!
That’s not the last question he was asked. He was asked a stupid question about Junior Bergen.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

bpcats20
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by bpcats20 » Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:08 am

Thought defense played well enough to win.

Griz had edge in special teams as can be expected. Bobby is really good about scheming things up.

Where I think we we got exposed a lot yesterday- our o-line did not play a physical game -… part of that is putting players in right positions.

Bigger part is we are terribly vanilla in our running attack. Not very good at mixing our run game.

McKay has to do a better job of setting his feet and throwing … felt like he wilted quite a bit down the stretch.

At this point I can’t see him being the quarterback next year. Turn Melotte loose on throwing the ball.

Vigen gets it . Housewright got an education today. Hopefully we can get a bye and have a time to reset.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:45 am

bpcats20 wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:08 am

Griz had edge in special teams as can be expected. Bobby is really good about scheming things up.

Where I think we we got exposed a lot yesterday- our o-line did not play a physical game -… part of that is putting players in right positions.

Bigger part is we are terribly vanilla in our running attack. Not very good at mixing our run game.

McKay has to do a better job of setting his feet and throwing … felt like he wilted quite a bit down the stretch.

At this point I can’t see him being the quarterback next year. Turn Melotte loose on throwing the ball.

Vigen gets it . Housewright got an education today. Hopefully we can get a bye and have a time to reset.
Speaking of Special Teams, Ty Gregorak tweeted a jab about MSU not having a special teams coach, after the game.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:19 am

91catAlum wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:45 am
bpcats20 wrote:

Speaking of Special Teams, Ty Gregorak tweeted a jab about MSU not having a special teams coach, after the game.
I think the 1st order of business in the offseason will be finding a ST coordinator. Outside Glessner, ST has been pretty up and down, and generally bad all year. I think a lot of us thought it was an odd decision not to hire one to begin with. And it's finally bit us in the as*. Once Coy Steel went down our return game and field position battles went downhill.

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:38 am

91catAlum wrote:
bpcats20 wrote:

Yeah, we don’t need one of those!😂

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:36 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:19 am
91catAlum wrote:
bpcats20 wrote:

I think the 1st order of business in the offseason will be finding a ST coordinator. Outside Glessner, ST has been pretty up and down, and generally bad all year. I think a lot of us thought it was an odd decision not to hire one to begin with. And it's finally bit us in the as*. Once Coy Steel went down our return game and field position battles went downhill.
Maybe he's looking for a job.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Post by CatBlitz » Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:48 pm

Wait, we seriously don't have a ST coach/coordinator?

Don't let this distract you from the fact that the griz blew a 22-0 lead.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:35 pm

CatBlitz wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:48 pm
Not since BJ quit.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:38 pm

CatBlitz wrote:
Our punt return game makes a little more sense now doesn't it? Same for our fake FG play.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:46 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:35 pm
CatBlitz wrote:
Not since BJ quit.
Sorry guys but our special teams has been excellent all year. Their worst game was obviously yesterday. AND...BJ had his fair share of bad days as well. Choate had to step in a few times in his fours years (Choate also "stepped in" to every group as well haha).

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Sun Nov 21, 2021 3:05 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:46 pm
AFCAT wrote:
CatBlitz wrote:
Not since BJ quit.
Sorry guys but our special teams has been excellent all year. Their worst game was obviously yesterday. AND...BJ had his fair share of bad days as well. Choate had to step in a few times in his fours years (Choate also "stepped in" to every group as well haha).
Punting and field goals yes very good. Return game, non existent.

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Sun Nov 21, 2021 3:10 pm

Outside of the bad fake FG, there wasn’t any scheming that makes our ST’s much better yesterday. On every punt return that got yards, except for one, there were guys in position to make a tackle after a short return, and they just missed the tackles. That’s not scheme. A ST’s coach doesn’t fix that.

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Sun Nov 21, 2021 3:12 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:46 pm
AFCAT wrote:
CatBlitz wrote:
Not since BJ quit.
#107 in the country at 3.5 yards per punt return. 84 total yards.

#116 in the country at 15.6 yards per kick return.

Special teams have NOT been excellent. Leighton and Glessner have been excellent...kick coverage (#6 at 15.1 yards) has been excellent and punt coverage (#50 at 6.7 yards) has been adequate.

Special teams have been all over the map. But not even close to "excellent"...net it all out and they've been average at best.