Miracle in Missoula documentary. Need your help Bobcat Nation. Kickstarter campaign

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Re: Miracle in Missoula documentary. Need your help Bobcat Nation. Kickstarter campaign

Post by Cledus » Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:14 pm

griz5700 wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:04 pm
“MIRACLE IN MISSOULA”

Hahahaha. Cool stuff.
I agree. I hate the word miracle being attributed to the 2018 win. It was a great play right at the exact time we needed it. The word miracle in this context suggests um was the powerhouse they haven’t been for more than a decade. I guess people like to say it because of the sound the back to back sound the m’s make.

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: Miracle in Missoula documentary. Need your help Bobcat Nation. Kickstarter campaign

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:16 pm

Cledus wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:14 pm
griz5700 wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:04 pm
“MIRACLE IN MISSOULA”

Hahahaha. Cool stuff.
I agree. I hate the word miracle being attributed to the 2018 win. It was a great play right at the exact time we needed it. The word miracle in this context suggests um was the powerhouse they haven’t been for more than a decade. I guess people like to say it because of the sound the back to back sound the m’s make.
It used to be known simply as “The Stand”.

catbooster
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by catbooster » Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:26 pm

Yep. I've never liked that moniker for the game. It implies that we were underdogs and it was virtually impossible for us to win the game if it hadn't been for a fluke play. But I guess it's nice alliteration. :shrug:

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:36 pm

catbooster wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:26 pm
Yep. I've never liked that moniker for the game. It implies that we were underdogs and it was virtually impossible for us to win the game if it hadn't been for a fluke play. But I guess it's nice alliteration. :shrug:
It sort of got back-named from the Beatdown in Bozeman.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:48 pm

Whatever you want to call the game, the thought of anything to do with it sure brings out the poor feelings of griz fans. They are so easy to upset.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:52 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:48 pm
Whatever you want to call the game, the thought of anything to do with it sure brings out the poor feelings of griz fans. They are so easy to upset.
They don’t realize they witnessed a classic game first-hand? :roll:

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:11 pm

Colter_Nuanez wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:16 pm
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:04 pm
Colter_Nuanez wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:59 pm
coloradocat wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:23 pm
Love the idea! Hopefully the epilogue is a quick recap of the Beatdown in Bozeman the following year!

It would be great if this spurred the Nuanez brothers to create a Cat-griz documentary. I assume Colter has access to everyone on both sides going back generations. He might be one of the few people that can say that.

Life goal. Truly, it's in my brain, which means it will be in the works at some point!
Two minutes per game, and it would be an epic motion picture.
More than the year by year results, weaving the narrative and the shift in power etc would be so sweet.

It has to be you man. I can't think of anyone else close enough to the game that could be objective on both sides of the rivalry. I think everyone on both sides would agree.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:21 pm

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:36 pm
catbooster wrote:
I'm sure the name really took off after the Beatdown but I remember referring to it as the Miracle in Missoula shortly after the game.

It think it works because EVERYONE though the griz scored and won the game and then when we saw that a timeout was called and there was another chance EVERYONE was on holding their breath for The Stand play before fortunes were reversed in historic fashion. If you were watching the game at an alumni watch party or somewhere with griz fans present the emotional swings were WILD!!

People can disagree with calling it the Miracle in Missoula but The Stand doesn't do it justice. I also think the whole reason 2019 was named the Beatdown in Bozeman is because the Miracle in Missoula took place the previous year.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

FMFP_PHOTO
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by FMFP_PHOTO » Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:01 pm

Congrats! Dawson

Well done BobcatNation...

I am a strong believer that the Cat/Griz tide flip long before the 2018, 2019 or even the 2017 season. It happened in 2016. I don't recalled MSU's record but it was a losing one. Everybody expected the Cats to lose big; however, Cris Murray did not think that way, he won that game and started a Bobcat winning streak that continues until today - 2021.

The 360 degree airborne flip from the 4 yard line and into the end-zone; is one of the most shocking and athletic plays ever, that is what flipped the tie. To date I believe that play told every Griz player, coach and fan that the Cats had arrived to stay. Griz-Nation has not recover from that game. It will take something similar to that play from the Griz side to turn the tie back... I don't see it happening anytime soon.

https://fmfp-photo.photoshelter.com/gal ... 0L6NxV8bUg

I am not trying to start a controversy, nor take anything away from what the "Miracle in Missoula" documentary... the previews are excellent. I happen to know Dawson. He is smart, discipline and respectful of others. He has a very bright future.

A Cat/Griz documentary is a major undertaking, one that will require a large team of knowledgeable people, and someone with very deep pockets.

Cheers, Felix
www.bobcatmagazines.com

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:48 pm

Okay, so this thread made me go back and watch that second half again. Still got goosebumps watching The Stand and hearing Tom Glasgow and Jason Stiles call and commentary in the minutes following. Easily makes the Top 3 all time calls (radio or TV) in my book (Dean Alexander's comments at the end of the 2002 streak breaker and Chris Atttebury's call of the Cory Smith kickoff return the very next season being the other two).

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Fri Oct 29, 2021 3:02 am

FMFP_PHOTO wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:01 pm
Congrats! Dawson

I am a strong believer that the Cat/Griz tide flip long before the 2018, 2019 or even the 2017 season. It happened in 2016. I don't recalled MSU's record but it was a losing one. Everybody expected the Cats to lose big; however, Cris Murray did not think that way, he won that game and started a Bobcat winning streak that continues until today - 2021.

The 360 degree airborne flip from the 4 yard line and into the end-zone; is one of the most shocking and athletic plays ever, that is what flipped the tie. To date I believe that play told every Griz player, coach and fan that the Cats had arrived to stay. Griz-Nation has not recover from that game. It will take something similar to that play from the Griz side to turn the tie back... I don't see it happening anytime soon.

I am not trying to start a controversy, nor take anything away from what the "Miracle in Missoula" documentary... the previews are excellent. I happen to know Dawson. He is smart, discipline and respectful of others. He has a very bright future.

A Cat/Griz documentary is a major undertaking, one that will require a large team of knowledgeable people, and someone with very deep pockets.

Cheers, Felix
www.bobcatmagazines.com
Great observations from a professional observer! Thanks for the picture review. I watched that play over and over. The fact that he ended up sitting on #10 was the perfect ending. 😀 💙💛😺

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Fri Oct 29, 2021 7:12 am

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Fri Oct 29, 2021 3:02 am
FMFP_PHOTO wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:01 pm
Congrats! Dawson

Cheers, Felix
www.bobcatmagazines.com
Great observations from a professional observer! Thanks for the picture review. I watched that play over and over. The fact that he ended up sitting on #10 was the perfect ending. 😀 💙💛😺
T-bag a D-bag!

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

griz5700
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by griz5700 » Fri Oct 29, 2021 11:13 am

The Miracle in Missoula:
- Hauck’s first season back
- Choate’s 3rd Season
- Cats finish 5-3, 4th in BSC, narrowly make playoffs
- Griz finish 4-4, 5th in BSC, miss playoffs
- Cats beat Incarnate World 30-14.
- Cats Flattened in Fargo, 52-10

Was a great game, crazy 4th quarter, and stunning last second finish. Tough day for Griz fans, but after Stitt, just seeing a Griz team play fast, physical, and with a little bit of pride made for successful season.

Other than that game, pretty sh**ty season, and easily forgotten. Definitely for UM.

PRIDE - TRADITION - GRIZ
http://goo.gl/A6rsSA

The Butcher
Golden Bobcat

Post by The Butcher » Fri Oct 29, 2021 12:05 pm

grizzh8r wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:48 pm
Okay, so this thread made me go back and watch that second half again. Still got goosebumps watching The Stand and hearing Tom Glasgow and Jason Stiles call and commentary in the minutes following. Easily makes the Top 3 all time calls (radio or TV) in my book (Dean Alexander's comments at the end of the 2002 streak breaker and Chris Atttebury's call of the Cory Smith kickoff return the very next season being the other two).
I remember talking with Dean after the game 2002 game. It was an honor to hear him tell me it was one of the best Montana State Football games he had ever watched. Still proud of being part of the team that ended the streak.

kennethnoisewater

Post by kennethnoisewater » Fri Oct 29, 2021 12:14 pm

griz5700 wrote:
Fri Oct 29, 2021 11:13 am
The Miracle in Missoula:
- Choate’s 3rd Season

Was a great game, crazy 4th quarter, and stunning last second finish. Tough day for Griz fans, but after Stitt, just seeing a Griz team play fast, physical, and with a little bit of pride made for successful season.

Other than that game, pretty sh**ty season, and easily forgotten. Definitely for UM.
If I remember right, the griz were favored in that game still--probably because it was a home game and the Cats hadn't shown all that much impressive that season. To that point of Choate's tenure, the jury was definitely still out on him as a head coach despite being 2-0 against the grizzlies. We even knew that had a lot to do with the fact that Stitt had been there and it was a little bit of fool's gold. But ultimately I don't think anybody sees it as being a miracle to get a win in general, it was just the way it happened at the end. I'd say there's realistically about a 1% chance the Bobcats win that game once the ball got down by the goal line, which would qualify as a miracle.

And to my earlier point, it would have been a huge win for the grizzlies too. Hauck is back and the RTD idiocy would have had some teeth. The griz would've hosted and won at least one playoff game and a seed of doubt would have been planted in the MSU program about their ability to beat Hauck's teams.

The game was going to have huge implications for either team, but the miracle was the goal line stand.

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Fri Oct 29, 2021 12:24 pm

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Fri Oct 29, 2021 12:14 pm
griz5700 wrote:
The Miracle in Missoula:
- Choate’s 3rd Season

If I remember right, the griz were favored in that game still--probably because it was a home game and the Cats hadn't shown all that much impressive that season. To that point of Choate's tenure, the jury was definitely still out on him as a head coach despite being 2-0 against the grizzlies. We even knew that had a lot to do with the fact that Stitt had been there and it was a little bit of fool's gold. But ultimately I don't think anybody sees it as being a miracle to get a win in general, it was just the way it happened at the end. I'd say there's realistically about a 1% chance the Bobcats win that game once the ball got down by the goal line, which would qualify as a miracle.

And to my earlier point, it would have been a huge win for the grizzlies too. Hauck is back and the RTD idiocy would have had some teeth. The griz would've hosted and won at least one playoff game and a seed of doubt would have been planted in the MSU program about their ability to beat Hauck's teams.

The game was going to have huge implications for either team, but the miracle was the goal line stand.
Agreed, and not even just the goal line stand but also the overall comeback after how the game started. Visually:

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Catsrgrood
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Catsrgrood » Fri Oct 29, 2021 12:45 pm

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Fri Oct 29, 2021 12:14 pm
griz5700 wrote:
The Miracle in Missoula:
- Choate’s 3rd Season

Bingo

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:20 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:21 pm
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:36 pm
catbooster wrote:
I'm sure the name really took off after the Beatdown but I remember referring to it as the Miracle in Missoula shortly after the game.

It think it works because EVERYONE though the griz scored and won the game and then when we saw that a timeout was called and there was another chance EVERYONE was on holding their breath for The Stand play before fortunes were reversed in historic fashion. If you were watching the game at an alumni watch party or somewhere with griz fans present the emotional swings were WILD!!

People can disagree with calling it the Miracle in Missoula but The Stand doesn't do it justice. I also think the whole reason 2019 was named the Beatdown in Bozeman is because the Miracle in Missoula took place the previous year.
Yep, I've re watched that entire game about ten times. I cannot believe the # of times Sneed clutched up and hit his receivers on 3rd and long. If not for all those excellent plays I don't think the game would have been close. That's what makes me think they might not be able to hang with MSU this year, if they don't start seeing much improved QB play.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Fri Oct 29, 2021 2:24 pm

The Butcher wrote:
Fri Oct 29, 2021 12:05 pm
grizzh8r wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:48 pm
I remember talking with Dean after the game 2002 game. It was an honor to hear him tell me it was one of the best Montana State Football games he had ever watched. Still proud of being part of the team that ended the streak.
Speaking of Dean. My girlfriend lived in his basement apartment. Every time Dean said something I’d start looking around for a radio!

As you should be! You lifted a big weight off the shoulders of Bobcat fans. Free ice water at my house any time! 💙💛😺

Joe Bobcat

Post by Joe Bobcat » Fri Oct 29, 2021 2:29 pm

My opinion has always been that it would more appropriately be named the Miracle Moment in Missoula. The rest of the game was just hard nosed, hard fought football played between two fierce rivals. The lead that UM had created in the first half, then the comeback to take the lead that MSU engineered in the second half, and UM's final long quick drive down the field late in the 4th were all awesome, but without that short moment of events that culminated in MSU causing and recovering that fumble it would just be remembered as an awesome game much like many of the Cat/Griz games.

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!