Hero Sports - Week 9 Resumes

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Hero Sports - Week 9 Resumes

Post by Cledus » Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:03 am

FCS: Week 9 Resumes For The Top 10-Ranked Teams

Nice picture of Ifanse at the top of the article. Sam Herder has this series where he updates each team's resume in the top 10. In my judgment, MSU's resume stacks up against many of the schools on there.

Hopefully, we can get the offense on track. I think that will be the only thing that holds us back this season.

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Re: Hero Sports - Week 9 Resumes

Post by CelticCat » Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:45 pm

Cledus wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:03 am

Nice picture of Ifanse at the top of the article. Sam Herder has this series where he updates each team's resume in the top 10. In my judgment, MSU's resume stacks up against many of the schools on there.

Hopefully, we can get the offense on track. I think that will be the only thing that holds us back this season.
Our SOS is pretty bad, worse than SELA or SHSU who routinely get mocked for it. That being said MSU will get the respect of the committee regardless, we are a blue blood. But we really need a win over either EWU or UM to get a nice seed. If we only beat Idaho we're looking at hosting a "play-in" game and it would be regionalized so likely we'd head to Fargo for round 2.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:05 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:45 pm
Cledus wrote:

Our SOS is pretty bad, worse than SELA or SHSU who routinely get mocked for it. That being said MSU will get the respect of the committee regardless, we are a blue blood. But we really need a win over either EWU or UM to get a nice seed. If we only beat Idaho we're looking at hosting a "play-in" game and it would be regionalized so likely we'd head to Fargo for round 2.
In what world is our schedule weaker than SHSU? San Diego will probably make the playoffs and we play 3 ranked teams on the road in conference.

I really don't get this logic were a team can only be good if you lose to them. Yeah their rank is going to go down if you beat them. All we talked about preseason was how strong our schedule was overall and now that we are actually on course and taking care of business, its cake? If we beat San Diego, Weber, EWU, and UM and 3/4 make the playoffs, is that still a weak SOS?

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

Catsrgrood
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Catsrgrood » Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:26 pm

My understanding is that the SOS they refer to is up to this point.

So road games against EWU and um haven’t been factored in yet.

Assuming Weber wins out, that helps the Cats SOS as well.

The Cats SOS will look a lot better in 4 weeks. Just hope we go at least 2-1, if not 3-0 in those and the rest will take care of itself.

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:43 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Cledus wrote:

I don't believe our strength of schedule is THAT bad. It's in the 48th percentile. But of the top 10, ours is the weakest.

We did beat Weber who Massey has at the 8th ranked schedule. EWU has the 34th and the grizzlies come in at the 24th. Portland State is 28th. Idaho State is 5th and Idaho is 10th. Northern Colorado is 22nd and Cal Poly is 6th. Every single one of our league wins so far the opponent's strength of schedule is higher than the 78th percentile. We've beaten two teams in the SoS top 10 and Idaho's in the on deck circle for an ass kicking. So, if we're playing and winning games against teams with stronger schedules, why is ours ranked so much lower? :-k :-k

It must be our out of conference schedule that's distorting our strength of schedule. And if that's the case, how do those first three games of the season carry more weight than our league games? And we're really just talking about Drake and San Diego, not Wyoming. We're obviously not playing the OOC games anymore, so why does what happened in the past continue to count against us?

If all of this isn't strong evidence that strength of schedule is a con, then I don't know what is. As far as I'm concerned, it's just another metric for the Power 5 to establish in their own minds their superiority over everyone else.

I just feel like strength of schedule has the same predictive value of future success as where someone goes to college (e.g. Dennis Washington, Steve Jobs, Clint Eastwood).

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:29 pm

Cledus wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:43 pm
CelticCat wrote:
Cledus wrote:

I don't believe our strength of schedule is THAT bad. It's in the 48th percentile. But of the top 10, ours is the weakest.

We did beat Weber who Massey has at the 8th ranked schedule. EWU has the 34th and the grizzlies come in at the 24th. Portland State is 28th. Idaho State is 5th and Idaho is 10th. Northern Colorado is 22nd and Cal Poly is 6th. Every single one of our league wins so far the opponent's strength of schedule is higher than the 78th percentile. We've beaten two teams in the SoS top 10 and Idaho's in the on deck circle for an ass kicking. So, if we're playing and winning games against teams with stronger schedules, why is ours ranked so much lower? :-k :-k

It must be our out of conference schedule that's distorting our strength of schedule. And if that's the case, how do those first three games of the season carry more weight than our league games? And we're really just talking about Drake and San Diego, not Wyoming. We're obviously not playing the OOC games anymore, so why does what happened in the past continue to count against us?

If all of this isn't strong evidence that strength of schedule is a con, then I don't know what is. As far as I'm concerned, it's just another metric for the Power 5 to establish in their own minds their superiority over everyone else.

I just feel like strength of schedule has the same predictive value of future success as where someone goes to college (e.g. Dennis Washington, Steve Jobs, Clint Eastwood).
I’m confused.

Northern Colorado, for example, might have a more difficult SOS than us so far, but that doesn’t change our SOS. Ours is low because we’ve played some pretty crappy teams. Drake, San Diego, UNC, Cal Poly, Idaho State…they’re all pretty bad teams.

I think SOS is a great reflector for how good your team is. If you have a good record and a good SOS, you can be pretty confident you have a good team. Or if you’re Weber, and you have a middling record but a really high SOS, you can still be fairly confident you have a good team, you’ve just played other really good teams. But even if you have a high SOS and you’re continually getting blown out, you probably suck. And a lot of the teams we’ve played, suck. Them having a hard schedule doesn’t change that. And finally, even if you’re undefeated but you have a low SOS, all you’ve played is cupcakes, you really don’t know how good you are.

It’s kinda like one of my favorite sayings regarding recruits and the NFL draft. Every single great player (QB excluding) is a great athlete. Not all great athletes are great players. There are basically no great players that are bad athletes. The same thing goes for SOS. Every team with a good record and high SOS is a guaranteed good team. Not all high SOS teams are good teams. There are basically no great teams with a low SOS by the end of a season. Now exceptions do exist, but they are few and far between.

Catsrgrood

Post by Catsrgrood » Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:19 pm

Wyoming has hurt our SOS in recent weeks. When they were 4-0, a 3 point loss looked pretty good.
Now they’ve lost 3 in a row and are 101st in Sagarin. That 3 point loss is no longer looking as good.

I know not everybody loves the Sagarin rankings, but this is a good example how when it comes in handy to compare teams a bit.
Sagarin ranks all 258 D1 football teams, to date, the Cats have played teams with the following current ranking;

If that’s not a weak schedule up to this point, I don’t know what is.

Now we’ll play teams ranked 100, 107, and 183.

These rankings can all go up in the next few weeks too as hopefully some of these teams win some more games, helping our SOS.

So I know I’ll be rooting for Wyoming, Drake, SD, Weber, UNC and PSU every game here on out.

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:31 pm

If San Diego does make the FCS playoffs it’s a credit to them for having done so under the rules, but it brings no honor to the playoff system as representing teams that are the best or among the best in the country.

San Diego (4-4, 4-1) is currently, out of 128 FCS teams, rated at #105, just ahead of #106 Dixie State (0-7, 0-7) who most assuredly won’t be in the playoffs. San Diego gave #73 Cal Poly (1-6, 0-4) their only win, and opened Pioneer conference play by losing to #107 Davidson 28-16.

Their next seven conference games served up a murderer’s row of #115, #127, #120, #126, #122, #108 and #128. Remember there are only 128 teams — San Diego plays the bottom three and five of the bottom nine. They knocked off #115 St. Thomas of Minn. and #120 Drake by three points each.

MSU’s strength of schedule or standing in the eyes of the committee is not enhanced by San Diego’s season even though they could indeed make the playoffs as the Automatic Qualifier from the Pioneer League. The FCS as an organization needs to rethink this possibility.

It’s kind of like making the Famous Idaho French Fry Bowl with a 5-7 record.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:23 pm

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:31 pm
If San Diego does make the FCS playoffs it’s a credit to them for having done so under the rules, but it brings no honor to the playoff system as representing teams that are the best or among the best in the country.

San Diego (4-4, 4-1) is currently, out of 128 FCS teams, rated at #105, just ahead of #106 Dixie State (0-7, 0-7) who most assuredly won’t be in the playoffs. San Diego gave #73 Cal Poly (1-6, 0-4) their only win, and opened Pioneer conference play by losing to #107 Davidson 28-16.

Their next seven conference games served up a murderer’s row of #115, #127, #120, #126, #122, #108 and #128. Remember there are only 128 teams — San Diego plays the bottom three and five of the bottom nine. They knocked off #115 St. Thomas of Minn. and #120 Drake by three points each.

MSU’s strength of schedule or standing in the eyes of the committee is not enhanced by San Diego’s season even though they could indeed make the playoffs as the Automatic Qualifier from the Pioneer League. The FCS as an organization needs to rethink this possibility.

So are you saying if the committee deems you terrible enough, winning your conference should mean nothing and you shouldn't get an AQ spot in the playoffs?? Because they won't get an at large. The Pioneer has never had an at large. The FCS and it's 24 team playoff are about rewarding the Conference Champs, and the best of the rest.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:36 pm

I doubt strength of schedule will end up playing much of a role for MSU unless they win out, NDSU and Sam Houston both lose, and it becomes a mess of one loss teams all in contention for the top 2 seeds in the bracket. It seems pretty clear: go 3 - 0 and MSU is a top 4 seed, go 2 - 1 and they're seeded somewhere in the #5 - 8 range, or go 1 - 2 and they're an unseeded at-large team playing on the first weekend.

Catsrgrood

Post by Catsrgrood » Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:56 pm

MSU01 wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:36 pm
I doubt strength of schedule will end up playing much of a role for MSU unless they win out, NDSU and Sam Houston both lose, and it becomes a mess of one loss teams all in contention for the top 2 seeds in the bracket. It seems pretty clear: go 3 - 0 and MSU is a top 4 seed, go 2 - 1 and they're seeded somewhere in the #5 - 8 range, or go 1 - 2 and they're an unseeded at-large team playing on the first weekend.
I think you’re right, but I think that’s where the SOS will play a role. If the Cats go 10-1, they’re undoubtedly a high seed. But SOS may determine if that’s a 2, 3, 4 or even 5 in that case.

If they go 9-2, they’re still very likely seeded, but that could be anywhere from a 6-8 seed.

Cats can only control the next 3 games, but it’s worth rooting for all the other teams we’ve beat along the way to keep winning as well to make that SOS as strong as possible.

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:50 am

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:29 pm
I’m confused.

(1) Northern Colorado, for example, might have a more difficult SOS than us so far, but that doesn’t change our SOS.Ours is low because we’ve played some pretty crappy teams. Drake, San Diego, UNC, Cal Poly, Idaho State…they’re all pretty bad teams.

I think SOS is a great reflector for how good your team is. If you have a good record and a good SOS, you can be pretty confident you have a good team. Or if you’re Weber, and you have a middling record but a really high SOS, you can still be fairly confident you have a good team, you’ve just played other really good teams. But even if you have a high SOS and you’re continually getting blown out, you probably suck. And a lot of the teams we’ve played, suck. Them having a hard schedule doesn’t change that. And finally, even if you’re undefeated but you have a low SOS, all you’ve played is cupcakes, you really don’t know how good you are.

It’s kinda like one of my favorite sayings regarding recruits and the NFL draft. Every single great player (QB excluding) is a great athlete. Not all great athletes are great players. There are basically no great players that are bad athletes. The same thing goes for SOS. Every team with a good record and high SOS is a guaranteed good team. Not all high SOS teams are good teams. There are basically no great teams with a low SOS by the end of a season. Now exceptions do exist, but they are few and far between.
As I was writing my original post you responded to, I had some of the same thoughts you pointed out and figured someone would mention it. By that time, I had put too much time and thought into my response and didn't want to delete it. :lol: :lol: You didn't come right out and say it, but I'll say it now. There was a flaw in my reasoning. But I don't think it's because I don't understand the issue.

I think it's because the people who use SoS with influence (national sportswriters, committee members, poll voters) are using this circular logic of sorts, which I think goes like this: "MSU's schedule is some real weak cheese and that's why they've been blowing out opponents and have a good record. Duh." But the schedule was made long in advance before they'd even played a single down and Choate was still coach. MSU is a good team no matter who they play. Against stronger teams those blowout wins become closer, but I think are still wins. But if they remain blowout wins, what then? Is the schedule still weak?

(1) <<from bolded text above>> The basic premise for SoS is the win-loss record of the teams you play. I know it's a little more complicated than that, but not much. So how can SoS determined at the beginning of the year before anyone has played be reliable in any meaningful way? Other teams get credit for playing MSU, and MSU gets buttf**ked in the rankings for playing them. And if NCo finishes with a record above .500, then that should ostensibly raise our SoS.

I've seen no way of quantifying the differences between SoS. The ranking just tells us where we are in ascending order. But what if the difference between MSU's schedule and #1 Western Illinois is measured at just 10%. Would our schedule then really be weak? Until that question can be answered, SoS is nothing more than a parlor trick.

I think we both agree that SoS is not a good way of determining how good any team truly is and how good a team is is independent of its schedule.

Last point: I reject the premise MSU's schedule is weak. We are literally two spots below the median. Of the 8-game league schedule, we play Weber, EWU, and grizzlies on the road. And then we'll have at least one playoff game against a team who will almost certainly have at least an 8-3 record.

I find the whole concept of how SoS is applied to policy and rankings like Inception: a flaw in reasoning inside a flaw in reasoning inside a flaw in reasoning...

RockyBearCat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by RockyBearCat » Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:48 am

Catsrgrood wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:19 pm
Wyoming has hurt our SOS in recent weeks. When they were 4-0, a 3 point loss looked pretty good.
Now they’ve lost 3 in a row and are 101st in Sagarin. That 3 point loss is no longer looking as good.

I know not everybody loves the Sagarin rankings, but this is a good example how when it comes in handy to compare teams a bit.
Sagarin ranks all 258 D1 football teams, to date, the Cats have played teams with the following current ranking;

These rankings can all go up in the next few weeks too as hopefully some of these teams win some more games, helping our SOS.

So I know I’ll be rooting for Wyoming, Drake, SD, Weber, UNC and PSU every game here on out.
However, you have to admit that only 3 FCS teams are in the top 90. NDSU 60, SDSU 70 and Northern Iowa 90. Then the other top teams start sprinkling in mixed with FBS.

Catsrgrood

Post by Catsrgrood » Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:13 am

RockyBearCat wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:48 am
Catsrgrood wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:19 pm

However, you have to admit that only 3 FCS teams are in the top 90. NDSU 60, SDSU 70 and Northern Iowa 90. Then the other top teams start sprinkling in mixed with FBS.
True, the point is more about those 193, 202, 221, 232, 249. And even our FBS opponent is only ranked in line with the top FCS teams, not in the 50-60 range like they should be.

That’s 5 of our 8 opponents that are in roughly the bottom 20% of D1 football programs at the moment.

Catsrgrood

Post by Catsrgrood » Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:20 am

Cledus wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:50 am
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:29 pm
I’m confused.

(1) Northern Colorado, for example, might have a more difficult SOS than us so far, but that doesn’t change our SOS.Ours is low because we’ve played some pretty crappy teams. Drake, San Diego, UNC, Cal Poly, Idaho State…they’re all pretty bad teams.

As I was writing my original post you responded to, I had some of the same thoughts you pointed out and figured someone would mention it. By that time, I had put too much time and thought into my response and didn't want to delete it. :lol: :lol: You didn't come right out and say it, but I'll say it now. There was a flaw in my reasoning. But I don't think it's because I don't understand the issue.

I think it's because the people who use SoS with influence (national sportswriters, committee members, poll voters) are using this circular logic of sorts, which I think goes like this: "MSU's schedule is some real weak cheese and that's why they've been blowing out opponents and have a good record. Duh." But the schedule was made long in advance before they'd even played a single down and Choate was still coach. MSU is a good team no matter who they play. Against stronger teams those blowout wins become closer, but I think are still wins. But if they remain blowout wins, what then? Is the schedule still weak?

(1) <<from bolded text above>> The basic premise for SoS is the win-loss record of the teams you play. I know it's a little more complicated than that, but not much. So how can SoS determined at the beginning of the year before anyone has played be reliable in any meaningful way? Other teams get credit for playing MSU, and MSU gets buttf**ked in the rankings for playing them. And if NCo finishes with a record above .500, then that should ostensibly raise our SoS.

I've seen no way of quantifying the differences between SoS. The ranking just tells us where we are in ascending order. But what if the difference between MSU's schedule and #1 Western Illinois is measured at just 10%. Would our schedule then really be weak? Until that question can be answered, SoS is nothing more than a parlor trick.

I think we both agree that SoS is not a good way of determining how good any team truly is and how good a team is is independent of its schedule.

Last point: I reject the premise MSU's schedule is weak. We are literally two spots below the median. Of the 8-game league schedule, we play Weber, EWU, and grizzlies on the road. And then we'll have at least one playoff game against a team who will almost certainly have at least an 8-3 record.

I find the whole concept of how SoS is applied to policy and rankings like Inception: a flaw in reasoning inside a flaw in reasoning inside a flaw in reasoning...
I don’t think we’re completely disagreeing here, but I think the point you’re making in the bolded part above is missing the point. You’re including road games against EWU and the griz in your argument that our schedule isn’t weak.
Those games haven’t happened yet. When they do, yes, they’ll bump up our SOS substantially.
But at this point in the season, our schedule has been relatively weak, I don’t think there is any way around that fact.

Are there weaker schedules out there? Of course. But of the top 10-15 teams in the nation right now, we certainly have one of the weaker schedules right this minute.

catbooster
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by catbooster » Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:11 pm

technoCat wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:05 pm
CelticCat wrote:
Cledus wrote:

In what world is our schedule weaker than SHSU? San Diego will probably make the playoffs and we play 3 ranked teams on the road in conference.

I really don't get this logic were a team can only be good if you lose to them. Yeah their rank is going to go down if you beat them. All we talked about preseason was how strong our schedule was overall and now that we are actually on course and taking care of business, its cake? If we beat San Diego, Weber, EWU, and UM and 3/4 make the playoffs, is that still a weak SOS?
San Diego, the only team that Cal-Poly has beaten this year, the team that's in 3rd place in the Pioneer conference and whose overall record is 4-4 is going to the playoffs this year? When we schedule teams it's usually several years in advance. At the time San Diego was scheduled, it might not have looked as bad as it does now since they were in the playoffs a few times several years ago. But they aren't helping our SoS now.

SoS is based on who you have already played - the teams that make up your W/L record right now. We have played a weak schedule so far. It will go up. We have only played one ranked team so far this year (Weber).

It wouldn't be hard to make a reasonable argument that our schedule so far is weaker than Sam Houston's

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:45 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:23 pm
Bobcat4Ever wrote:

So are you saying if the committee deems you terrible enough, winning your conference should mean nothing and you shouldn't get an AQ spot in the playoffs?? Because they won't get an at large. The Pioneer has never had an at large. The FCS and it's 24 team playoff are about rewarding the Conference Champs, and the best of the rest.
I did give San Diego (or whoever wins) credit. Thinking relegation and all that. The Pioneer is just totally not competitive in FCS this year. I was probably a little harsh at the end. Perhaps the league itself either needs to put up a better fight or maybe D-II? I don’t know. My main point was that beating them, even if they become a playoff team, will not help our seeding resume.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:01 pm

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:45 pm
BleedingBLue wrote:
Bobcat4Ever wrote:

I did give San Diego (or whoever wins) credit. Thinking relegation and all that. The Pioneer is just totally not competitive in FCS this year. I was probably a little harsh at the end. Perhaps the league itself either needs to put up a better fight or maybe D-II? I don’t know. My main point was that beating them, even if they become a playoff team, will not help our seeding resume.
Does DII have scholarships? If not, what's the difference between the Pioneer League and DII football? Is playing sports at DI all or nothing (like you can't be DII in football but DI in basketball and other sports)?

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:09 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:01 pm
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
Bobcat4Ever wrote:

Does DII have scholarships? If not, what's the difference between the Pioneer League and DII football? Is playing sports at DI all or nothing (like you can't be DII in football but DI in basketball and other sports)?
I'm 99% sure the answer is yes. Which is why St. Thomas had to go fully DI, and joined the Pioneer when the MVFC said no. So they could continue not offering scholarships.

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:18 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:09 pm
coloradocat wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:01 pm
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
Bobcat4Ever wrote:

I'm 99% sure the answer is yes. Which is why St. Thomas had to go fully DI, and joined the Pioneer when the MVFC said no. So they could continue not offering scholarships.
Not completely true about no scholarships. From their own documentation:.
The Patriot League offers need-based aid to prospective athletes, provided it was at the same percentage as non-football players.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back