Defense Appreciation Thread

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Re: Defense Appreciation Thread

Post by ilovethecats » Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:42 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:24 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:20 pm
Common Cat wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:18 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:14 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:03 pm
Obviously I have watched little to none of any of the other top teams in the country. But I have to think our defense is one of the best.

Though I’d like to learn more from defensive football minds about how ISU seemed to be able to get 3-6 yards every single down, regardless of the fact everyone in the stadium knew they wouldn’t/couldn’t throw the ball. As a casual fan that was frustrating to me.
If Benson and O’Reilly play, then that doesn’t happen. MSU didn’t tackle as well as usual. ISU was smart to attack MSU that way, but they couldn’t finish drives. They got a lot of rush yards, but only 3.9 per carry (that’s very good vs MSU).

ISU only had the one early turnover, which is a big improvement for them. They averaged three per game. They have a lot of good athletes, but don’t have it all together yet.
To build off what Tom said, we had a lot of arm tackles and Mike Rider had stated we weren’t squaring up the ball carrier like we had been. I also believe there was a bit of an emotional let down after the Weber game.
Hard to argue with Mike Rider.
ISU also got about 90 of those rushing yards in the 4th quarter on two possessions. I guess they decided to....run the clock and kick a field goal down 21?! Vigen was kind of flabbergasted at his presser. He was asked about it and he kind of just brushed it off by saying "yeah they definitely ran a lot today and got yards between the 20s....no touchdowns though".
I loved that. Just shows they knew they couldn’t pass the ball. Even when absolutely necessary. Had you tuned in not knowing either team or the score, you’d assume the team with the Bengals helmets we’re winning by a few scores. That was great

Common Cat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Common Cat » Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:00 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:40 pm
Common Cat wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:35 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
Common Cat wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
Obviously I have watched little to none of any of the other top teams in the country. But I have to think our defense is one of the best.

Though I’d like to learn more from defensive football minds about how ISU seemed to be able to get 3-6 yards every single down, regardless of the fact everyone in the stadium knew they wouldn’t/couldn’t throw the ball. As a casual fan that was frustrating to me.
If Benson and O’Reilly play, then that doesn’t happen. MSU didn’t tackle as well as usual. ISU was smart to attack MSU that way, but they couldn’t finish drives. They got a lot of rush yards, but only 3.9 per carry (that’s very good vs MSU).

ISU only had the one early turnover, which is a big improvement for them. They averaged three per game. They have a lot of good athletes, but don’t have it all together yet.
To build off what Tom said, we had a lot of arm tackles and Mike Rider had stated we weren’t squaring up the ball carrier like we had been. I also believe there was a bit of an emotional let down after the Weber game.
ISU also got about 90 of those rushing yards in the 4th quarter on two possessions. I guess they decided to....run the clock and kick a field goal down 21?! Vigen was kind of flabbergasted at his presser. He was asked about it and he kind of just brushed it off by saying "yeah they definitely ran a lot today and got yards between the 20s....no touchdowns though".
It was bizarre. I was thinking why is ISU chewing up clock? Not sure I have seen anything like that.
I got the feeling watching it that he knew he had been beaten and just wanted to get it over with as quickly as possible
I mean go down swinging, right?

@rfoley77 @rrcatcast Golden Coolie

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:25 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:07 pm
iaafan wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:02 pm
Andersen 16 tackles, one TFL, three PBUs. The stats only have him for two, but he got a hand on the pass into the end zone that was caught out of bounds. Fairly certain that the receiver makes catch in bounds had he not tipped it.
Yes, the deflection slowed the ball down and caused the receiver to go out of bounds before the ball got to him. Had he not tipped it, the wr would’ve still been in bounds and that play would’ve changed the complexion of the game.
That ball was thrown well behind the receiver. Just watched the replay, it had no shot of being completed without the tip by Andersen.

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:58 am

grizzh8r wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:25 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
iaafan wrote:
Andersen 16 tackles, one TFL, three PBUs. The stats only have him for two, but he got a hand on the pass into the end zone that was caught out of bounds. Fairly certain that the receiver makes catch in bounds had he not tipped it.
Yes, the deflection slowed the ball down and caused the receiver to go out of bounds before the ball got to him. Had he not tipped it, the wr would’ve still been in bounds and that play would’ve changed the complexion of the game.
That ball was thrown well behind the receiver. Just watched the replay, it had no shot of being completed without the tip by Andersen.
Hmmm, I never thought of it that way. Upon further review you're probably right. Hard to say for sure without another angle.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:14 am

Only Wyoming and PSU have scored more than 1 TD against the Cats, and both times it was 2 touchdowns.

I don't care what level of competition you are playing, the highest point total against this defense is 19 against an FBS team, and that's an 8 game sample size. 5 of those games the opponent scored in the single digits.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

CARDIAC_CATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by CARDIAC_CATS » Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:30 am

coloradocat wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:40 pm
Common Cat wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:35 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
Common Cat wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:

It was bizarre. I was thinking why is ISU chewing up clock? Not sure I have seen anything like that.
I got the feeling watching it that he knew he had been beaten and just wanted to get it over with as quickly as possible
Definitely not a coach I would want to play for. What a great example for your team. Down by 21 with 10 minutes left and he chooses to run the clock and kick a field goal. That is what you call being WHOOPED as a coach. No wonder he has such a bad overall record. I hope they keep him 5 more years. :D

coochorama42
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by coochorama42 » Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:28 am

I think that the reason this running game was so effective was that MSU basically "allowed" ISU to run the football in the middle of the football field - choosing instead to protect against big plays. Most offenses can run the ball against a defense that is willing to "bend but not break" and it's much easier when two of the three best run-stoppers aren't playing. Once you get closer to scoring, the defense can better defend the run while still locking down the receivers as they have less field to defend. To point, ISU averaged 2.56 yards/carry when they were inside MSU's 35 yard line (they also only allowed 3.8 yards/pass attempt).

I said it when Vigen came in and I'll say it again...I love the transition to a four man front. This defense is allowing a full yard per play less than in 2019. Its 2021 average per play is the same as the 2019 team had against the Grizzlies...and that was a dominant performance. The team is on roughly the same sack pace in 2019 (20 in 8 games vs. 41 in 15 games) and has a better turnover rate (15 in 8 games vs. 25 in 15 games). The defense has allowed nine touchdowns but have scored three themselves.

Not to beat a dead horse, but these numbers look even better when you see what the offense is doing to support the defense (and yes, I know it's normally the other way around). MSU is 2nd in the country in turnover margin per game. Matthew McKay is third in the country in passing efficiency and Isaiah Ifanse is fifth in the country in rushing yards per game. MSU is 21st in the country and 2nd in the conference in scoring per game. Moreover, Blake Glessner has hit a 40+ yard field goal in all but one game this year and 15/18 overall with the only misses coming over 40 yards. Glessner is 12th in the country in points per game.

Things can obviously change in these next three games and/or the playoffs, but this is one of the four best teams in the country right now.

ilovethecats wrote:

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:17 am

Missing Benson and O’Reilly really hurt the defense, especially Benson. I don’t think they were allowing ISU to run the ball like they did, the interior just couldn’t control the LOS like they usually do with Benson in there. And then all the arm tackling and body blows. Square up, wrap up. Danny U will learn, that’s a common problem for young LB’s.

Anyways, ISU had the ball for what, 42 minutes, and the defense allowed 9 points. That’s amazing, especially when missing key starters. It wasn’t pretty, but the defense played well. We’re just used to elite play, and it wasn’t quite elite.

BozoneCat

Post by BozoneCat » Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:09 pm

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:17 am
Missing Benson and O’Reilly really hurt the defense, especially Benson. I don’t think they were allowing ISU to run the ball like they did, the interior just couldn’t control the LOS like they usually do with Benson in there. And then all the arm tackling and body blows. Square up, wrap up. Danny U will learn, that’s a common problem for young LB’s.

Anyways, ISU had the ball for what, 42 minutes, and the defense allowed 9 points. That’s amazing, especially when missing key starters. It wasn’t pretty, but the defense played well. We’re just used to elite play, and it wasn’t quite elite.
Totally correct. Normally, you hate to see that missing any one player makes THAT much of a difference on a team, as it obviously makes you vulnerable if the guy gets injured or has to miss time for something. Benson, however, is simply just that good. He may be the best DT at the FCS level of anyone in the country. Him being on the field makes every single other player better. O'Reilly might not quite be at an All-America level, but he's not far off. I'd argue that he has been our best LB in several games thus far. Missing both those guys was 100% the reason ISU was running right up the middle all day. Put those guys in and we throw a shutout without really breaking a sweat.

GO CATS GO!!!

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:01 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:58 am
grizzh8r wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
iaafan wrote:
Hmmm, I never thought of it that way. Upon further review you're probably right. Hard to say for sure without another angle.
Oh yeah, you're right. I just saw an EZ replay and the pass was way off the mark.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:38 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:01 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
grizzh8r wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
iaafan wrote:
Oh yeah, you're right. I just saw an EZ replay and the pass was way off the mark.
Yeah, we had the perfect angle in our seats watching it live. Until watching the replay, I had no idea the ISU receiver actually caught the ball. His feet being JUST out of bounds was a lucky break.

94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:19 pm

grizzh8r wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:38 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:01 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
grizzh8r wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
iaafan wrote:
Yeah, we had the perfect angle in our seats watching it live. Until watching the replay, I had no idea the ISU receiver actually caught the ball. His feet being JUST out of bounds was a lucky break.
I think I was the only one in the press box that thought he was out of bounds. No one said anything, so I just mumbled a little to myself. Then I watched the replay and you could see his feet out of bounds and he didn't catch it cleanly. Took forever for the refs to signal replay, then once they did the review went very fast. But like you said, if Troy doesn't touch it, it just falls to the ground well behind the WR. I guess we need to start looking for someone to replace Troy, he's clearly going to cost MSU a game with that kind of careless play. :wink:

toM StUber

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:11 pm

The key to that incompletion is that the receiver “didn’t catch it cleanly” — thanks, Tom. By the time he secured it, his feet were well out of bounds which probably explains the quick review. And the receiver may not have caught it cleanly as he didn’t expect to be catching anything at all. Big play.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:29 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:35 pm

Note: Removed some context for people whose feelings were hurt.
Feeling weren’t hurt here. I just thought it was garbage how you piled on two players in the first sentence, and now you deleted it because you know you were in the wrong for doing so in what should be a positive thread.

Own your words and don’t blame others for calling you out on your negative BS. Deleting those sentences is what a coward does, and then whines about it. Which makes you…

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

CatsFan10
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by CatsFan10 » Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:59 am

Defense appreciation thread let’s keep it at that: We have an incredible defense that’s basically on Auto-Pilot. We may never see this kind of team chemistry on that side of the ball for a long long time. Best part is you can tell these guys genuinely play for one another.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:17 am

PapaG wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:29 pm
coloradocat wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:35 pm

Note: Removed some context for people whose feelings were hurt.
Feeling weren’t hurt here. I just thought it was garbage how you piled on two players in the first sentence, and now you deleted it because you know you were in the wrong for doing so in what should be a positive thread.

Own your words and don’t blame others for calling you out on your negative BS. Deleting those sentences is what a coward does, and then whines about it. Which makes you…
It has been a common theme from ColoradoCat.

Joe Bobcat
Member # Retired

Post by Joe Bobcat » Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:56 am

grizzh8r wrote:

Your post made me laugh. You had perfect seats to watch it live but had no idea what happened till replay. It sounds like your seats weren't so perfect after all :lol: Where we were seated everyone saw the tipped ball and the receiver bobble the catch and then make the catch while he kicked his feet back but none of us were sure how that call was going to go. We were totally worried that they would get the PAT off before it got reviewed.

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:52 pm

Joe Bobcat wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:56 am
grizzh8r wrote:

Your post made me laugh. You had perfect seats to watch it live but had no idea what happened till replay. It sounds like your seats weren't so perfect after all :lol: Where we were seated everyone saw the tipped ball and the receiver bobble the catch and then make the catch while he kicked his feet back but none of us were sure how that call was going to go. We were totally worried that they would get the PAT off before it got reviewed.
Should have clarified. Perfect to watch the trajectory of the ball after it was thrown. Not so perfect for the catch attempt (screened by multiple players).

Hey, it made sense in my head... :mrgreen:

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Sat Nov 06, 2021 5:15 pm

HOW ABOUT THAT DEFENSE!!!!!! IF THAT ISN'T A CHAMPIONSHIP CALIBER D I DONT KNOW WHAT IS!!!!!!

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Sat Nov 06, 2021 5:18 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
Sat Nov 06, 2021 5:15 pm
HOW ABOUT THAT DEFENSE!!!!!! IF THAT ISN'T A CHAMPIONSHIP CALIBER D I DONT KNOW WHAT IS!!!!!!
They are for real - scary good. They just held the EWU Eagles to 20 freaking points. 20 points. That also includes our offense giving them the ball twice.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!