Defense Appreciation Thread

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Defense Appreciation Thread

Post by coloradocat » Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:35 pm

Our defense has remained a constant strength on the 2021 team.

We don't just rely on a couple stars like Troy Andersen and Daniel Hardy either. Our entire second string has gotten a ton of valuable reps before garbage time. Our secondary may not be experienced but they've more than held their own through injuries. This week we held our opponent to 9 points despite missing two of our most important starters in Chase Benson and Callahan O'Reilly, as well as Tyrel Thomas.

We currently rank 2nd in the country allowing only 10.38 points per game (8.00 per game at home) and we're the only team in the top 10 to have played eight games.

With a new DC and a new scheme as well as absorbing the loss of some great players from the 2019 team I don't think we could have asked for anything more.

=D^ =D^ =D^

Note: Removed some context for people whose feelings were hurt.
Last edited by coloradocat on Sun Oct 24, 2021 3:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Re: Defense Appreciation Thread

Post by PapaG » Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:59 pm

Starting off this post with negative thoughts on individual players lost me. I’m sure the rest was spectacular.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

PortlandCat90
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by PortlandCat90 » Sun Oct 24, 2021 3:15 pm

Why burn McKay and Patterson to start a thread that has nothing to do with them? Christ, let it go.

84CatGrad
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by 84CatGrad » Sun Oct 24, 2021 3:17 pm

Hear, hear. We have won our five conference games by an average score of 31-9. We have outgained our opponents by an average of 422-227 YPG and are winning the turnover battle 16-4.

And despite the gnashing of teeth over our offensive inconsistencies, we have scored 28 of 29 times in the red zone (20 TD's) and are converting 44% of our third downs (including 1 of 14 at Weber).

Gentlemen, relax, sit back, and ENJOY this season. Thus far it is one of our very best.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:02 pm

Andersen 16 tackles, one TFL, three PBUs. The stats only have him for two, but he got a hand on the pass into the end zone that was caught out of bounds. Fairly certain that the receiver makes catch in bounds had he not tipped it.

Clinton T
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Clinton T » Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:12 pm

84CatGrad wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 3:17 pm
Hear, hear. We have won our five conference games by an average score of 31-9. We have outgained our opponents by an average of 422-227 YPG and are winning the turnover battle 16-4.

And despite the gnashing of teeth over our offensive inconsistencies, we have scored 28 of 29 times in the red zone (20 TD's) and are converting 44% of our third downs (including 1 of 14 at Weber).

Gentlemen, relax, sit back, and ENJOY this season. Thus far it is one of our very best.
This post does a great job of putting things into perspective. There are those who would minimize our record due to our schedule, but what more could we could do given the hand we were dealt? This team is exceptional. Enjoy the ride.

PHAT CAT

Post by PHAT CAT » Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:19 pm

Clinton T wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:12 pm
84CatGrad wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 3:17 pm

This post does a great job of putting things into perspective. There are those who would minimize our record due to our schedule, but what more could we could do given the hand we were dealt? This team is exceptional. Enjoy the ride.
Yep. Not once have we played down to our level of competition. Some damn short memories for some Cats fans.

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:08 pm

iaafan wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:02 pm
Andersen 16 tackles, one TFL, three PBUs. The stats only have him for two, but he got a hand on the pass into the end zone that was caught out of bounds. Fairly certain that the receiver makes catch in bounds had he not tipped it.
You sure that wasn’t Okada?

Anyways, the pass was errant, and got tipped into the WR’s hands. Good play by the defender, just unlucky with what happened.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:47 pm

iaafan wrote:
Actually the pass was way behind the receiver and it had no chance of being completed had it not been tipped. TA was just trying to make a play on the ball and accidentally tipped it up which gave the WR a chance to make a play on it. Just a weird play.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:03 pm

Obviously I have watched little to none of any of the other top teams in the country. But I have to think our defense is one of the best.

Though I’d like to learn more from defensive football minds about how ISU seemed to be able to get 3-6 yards every single down, regardless of the fact everyone in the stadium knew they wouldn’t/couldn’t throw the ball. As a casual fan that was frustrating to me.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:07 pm

iaafan wrote:
Yes, the deflection slowed the ball down and caused the receiver to go out of bounds before the ball got to him. Had he not tipped it, the wr would’ve still been in bounds and that play would’ve changed the complexion of the game.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

84CatGrad

Post by 84CatGrad » Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:10 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:03 pm
Obviously I have watched little to none of any of the other top teams in the country. But I have to think our defense is one of the best.

Though I’d like to learn more from defensive football minds about how ISU seemed to be able to get 3-6 yards every single down, regardless of the fact everyone in the stadium knew they wouldn’t/couldn’t throw the ball. As a casual fan that was frustrating to me.
I was frustrated as well but that ISU back (Ford?) is a beast. 230 lbs with an Ifanse-ish ability to stay on his feet. And we were without O'Reilly and Benson.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:14 pm

ilovethecats wrote:

If Benson and O’Reilly play, then that doesn’t happen. MSU didn’t tackle as well as usual. ISU was smart to attack MSU that way, but they couldn’t finish drives. They got a lot of rush yards, but only 3.9 per carry (that’s very good vs MSU).

ISU only had the one early turnover, which is a big improvement for them. They averaged three per game. They have a lot of good athletes, but don’t have it all together yet.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:16 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:14 pm
ilovethecats wrote:

If Benson and O’Reilly play, then that doesn’t happen. MSU didn’t tackle as well as usual. ISU was smart to attack MSU that way, but they couldn’t finish drives. They got a lot of rush yards, but only 3.9 per carry (that’s very good vs MSU).

ISU only had the one early turnover, which is a big improvement for them. They averaged three per game. They have a lot of good athletes, but don’t have it all together yet.
This is a good point. I tend to forget that some players truly are much better than others and the loss of even a couple guys can be noticeable.

Common Cat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Common Cat » Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:18 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:

To build off what Tom said, we had a lot of arm tackles and Mike Rider had stated we weren’t squaring up the ball carrier like we had been. I also believe there was a bit of an emotional let down after the Weber game.

@rfoley77 @rrcatcast Golden Coolie

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:20 pm

Common Cat wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:18 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:

To build off what Tom said, we had a lot of arm tackles and Mike Rider had stated we weren’t squaring up the ball carrier like we had been. I also believe there was a bit of an emotional let down after the Weber game.
Hard to argue with Mike Rider.

toM StUber

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:24 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:20 pm
Common Cat wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:

ISU also got about 90 of those rushing yards in the 4th quarter on two possessions. I guess they decided to....run the clock and kick a field goal down 21?! Vigen was kind of flabbergasted at his presser. He was asked about it and he kind of just brushed it off by saying "yeah they definitely ran a lot today and got yards between the 20s....no touchdowns though".

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:31 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:16 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:

This is a good point. I tend to forget that some players truly are much better than others and the loss of even a couple guys can be noticeable.
The drop off from the 1s to the 2s has been noticeable before this game but it really stood out here. We probably have the best 2nd unit in the conference because they get so much non-garbage time minutes sprinkled in with the starters but they're definitely not at the all-conference level of the starters. I'd still take them over plenty of other defenses in the conference. They did an admirable job against a team to ran right at them. 3 FGs!

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

Common Cat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Common Cat » Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:35 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:24 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
Common Cat wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:

ISU also got about 90 of those rushing yards in the 4th quarter on two possessions. I guess they decided to....run the clock and kick a field goal down 21?! Vigen was kind of flabbergasted at his presser. He was asked about it and he kind of just brushed it off by saying "yeah they definitely ran a lot today and got yards between the 20s....no touchdowns though".
It was bizarre. I was thinking why is ISU chewing up clock? Not sure I have seen anything like that.

@rfoley77 @rrcatcast Golden Coolie

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:40 pm

Common Cat wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:35 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:24 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
Common Cat wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:

It was bizarre. I was thinking why is ISU chewing up clock? Not sure I have seen anything like that.
I got the feeling watching it that he knew he had been beaten and just wanted to get it over with as quickly as possible