Matt McKay

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

94VegasCat
Golden Bobcat
Location: Physically in northern Montana but my heart and soul are in Bobcat Stadium

Matt McKay

Post by 94VegasCat » Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:56 pm

He’s done a great job this year. I keep hearing people bash on him and I don’t understand it. He’s been efficient with his passing. He’s had TWO turnovers this YEAR. He has taken very good care of the ball. Minus today, he’s completed over 60% all season. He’s the best QB we’ve had for several years. He gets it done.

Capt Matt McKay has my full support and people should chill out about him having a bad day.

GO CATS GO. ESG! GO CATS GO

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Re: Matt McKay

Post by BleedingBLue » Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:03 pm

I agree. He was not great in the 1st half but was a lot better in the 2nd half. McCutcheon dropped 2 balls today, and a 3rd I would say a #1 receiver should catch on the play where McKay got crushed as he threw. Jaden Smith had a ball he should have caught where he got hit right as the ball arrived. His ball to Willie P for the TD was absolutely perfect. Couldn't have been thrown better. He still struggles with his RPO reads but I'll live with that for efficient QB play.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:08 pm

McKay is proof that a high completion percentage does not equal accuracy. Two thirds of his passes are caught but he throws a lot of bad balls. He's the best QB we've had since Prukop but it seems like he should be playing better than he is. He'll go on a run of a couple drives where everything looks great and he's the best non-EWU QB in the conference and he'll also go on runs of multiple drives where I'd rather have one of our other 3 QBs in.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Post by gtapp » Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:16 pm

We need to try someone else. McKay appears to have lost all confidence.

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:19 pm

We could have Aaron Rodgers at QB and have people saying we need a different QB.

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:21 pm

gtapp wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:16 pm
I was thinking the same thing as I watched the game unfold. He seemed to lack confidence after his first 2 incompletions and his fumble. I think he ended strong and that will lend itself to the bye week. But, I would have him work on his roll out throwing. There is no reason why he shouldn't be able to throw a drop down pass to a TE or a slot receiver or even a wheel route...without it looking like a wounded duck flying into a Choteau County West wind!

94VegasCat
Golden Bobcat
Location: Physically in northern Montana but my heart and soul are in Bobcat Stadium

Post by 94VegasCat » Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:22 pm

gtapp wrote:
Thanks for making my point. We would not be where we’re at with our record with anyone else starting at QB.

GO CATS GO. ESG! GO CATS GO

84CatGrad
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by 84CatGrad » Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:26 pm

94VegasCat wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:56 pm
He’s done a great job this year. I keep hearing people bash on him and I don’t understand it. He’s been efficient with his passing. He’s had TWO turnovers this YEAR. He has taken very good care of the ball. Minus today, he’s completed over 60% all season. He’s the best QB we’ve had for several years. He gets it done.

Capt Matt McKay has my full support and people should chill out about him having a bad day.
He has mine. Let's go Matt.

The Butcher
Golden Bobcat

Post by The Butcher » Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:35 pm

McKay has been much less than perfect.
We are fortunate to have a D that gives up less than 8 points a game.

ND0479

Post by ND0479 » Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:38 pm

gtapp wrote:
This is a serious comment? I give McKay a lot of criticism and think he could be a lot better but we’re 7-1 and he’s been the one at the helm. No way you mess with that position at this point in THIS season.

bcatfan1

Post by bcatfan1 » Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:44 pm

ND0479 wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:38 pm
gtapp wrote:
This is a serious comment? I give McKay a lot of criticism and think he could be a lot better but we’re 7-1 and he’s been the one at the helm. No way you mess with that position at this point in THIS season.

No kidding!! He threw some great passes in the 2nd half today. I just don’t understand why we don’t try taking those shots downfield earlier.

Some people are a lot like slinkies....... Not really good for much, but it puts a smile on your face to watch them fall down a set of stairs.

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:48 pm

bcatfan1 wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:44 pm
ND0479 wrote:
gtapp wrote:

No kidding!! He threw some great passes in the 2nd half today. I just don’t understand why we don’t try taking those shots downfield earlier.
He hit Mccucheon in the hands earlier in the game on a deep fade that was dropped. First half he clearly had the yips or something, maybe carryover from the Weber game? Second half was more like what we'd seen from him the first six games of the season.

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

Catsrgrood

Post by Catsrgrood » Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:49 pm

He has certainly has had his moments that have been frustrating to watch. He’s also had more than his fair share of good moments too.

He has 1 INT and 1 fumble on the season. The Cats are 7-1 and he’s a big part of that. I’ll take it.

Lord Vigo

Post by Lord Vigo » Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:52 pm

I think two things.

McKay is the best QB we’ve had since Prukop.

These last two games, he hasn’t played well.

LoggerCat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by LoggerCat » Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:53 pm

ND0479 wrote:
gtapp wrote:

Exactly! He’s produced wins and taken very good care of the ball. Players go through rough patches and thankfully the “team” can pick each other up when needed. Playing not so well and still come out with wins. That’s the sign of a great team. No way in hell does a coach bench a quarterback who’s 7-1 on the season. They’ve got 2 weeks to clean it up, get healthy and hopefully get this offense going again!

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:53 pm

The Butcher wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:35 pm
McKay has been much less than perfect.
We are fortunate to have a D that gives up less than 8 points a game.
Is any QB perfect, and the offense is helping the defense by barely turning the ball over. Has their been a turnover on their own half of the field?

What a bizarre standard to hold. The passing offense was so vanilla today it tasted like cardboard. Why show things going into the bye week when you don’t need to do so to win the game? Other than the fumble going for extra yards, Matt ran the ball well, too.

7-1 with three turnovers all season and some people are complaining. This after a coaching change and no fall or spring season..

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:59 pm

Should Mellott continue to be incorporated more into the offense? Absolutely.

Should McKay be benched? Hell no.

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Post by gtapp » Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:02 pm

94VegasCat wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:22 pm
gtapp wrote:
Thanks for making my point. We would not be where we’re at with our record with anyone else starting at QB.
When you miss a wide open receiver right in front of you by 15 yards with zero pressure you have lost your confidence. He threw for 130 yards against ISU. Not Wber, ISU.

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:06 pm

gtapp wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:02 pm
94VegasCat wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:22 pm
gtapp wrote:
When you miss a wide open receiver right in front of you by 15 yards with zero pressure you have lost your confidence. He threw for 130 yards against ISU. Not Wber, ISU.
McKay may have had 130 yards, but he also had a higher yards/attempt ratio than Eric Barriere today.

BStinsMSU
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by BStinsMSU » Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:07 pm

The best player on the field on offense is Infanse. The game plan is and should be focused on him. Mckay had his first and only game of mistakes and inefficiency. Damn it if he’s gonna have it I’d rather his lesson learning game be against ISU. Put it in your back pocket and go kick some Eagle @$$ in two weeks. We’re certainly gonna need more deep shots in that game and when McKay has been given that as an opportunity he’s crushed it. Hope the sideline lets him torch an iffy EWU D

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Living on the KittieKop Legacy...