Matt McKay

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

PortlandCat90
BobcatNation Team Captain

Re: Matt McKay

Post by PortlandCat90 » Sun Oct 24, 2021 3:05 pm

I have compiled many of the thoughts from this thread, pulled some facts and will send them to Coach V for his response. Here is my first draft:

Dear Coach:

WE ARE Bobcat Nation and have many concerns about our quarterbacking, specifically:

• We are 7-1 overall
• We are undefeated and in first place in the Big Sky at 5-0

Our QB is leading an offensive team that is/has:
o 2nd in the Big Sky in scoring
o 3rd in the Big Sky in total yardage
o 1st in the Big Sky in rushing yardage
o The leading rusher in the Big Sky

Our QB is:
o 2nd in the Big Sky in passing efficiency
o 2nd in the Big Sky in passing completion %
o 1st in the Big Sky in least passing interceptions
o 2nd in the Big Sky in passing touchdowns
o Showing strong leadership in what could be a strange season back

Several of Bobcat Nation have expressed concern and singled out our starting QB, noting that he is not good enough.

Please provide your input.

On behalf of Bobcat Nation,

PortlandCat90

P.S. I just re-read this letter and I do not think that I will send it to you at the risk of looking like a complete dumba$$. Please tell our QB that the rest of us in Bobcat Nation are proud of him, believe in him, and will ride along as he, his teammates and coaches take us where we are going.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Sun Oct 24, 2021 3:21 pm

PortlandCat90 wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 3:04 pm
I have compiled many of the thoughts from this thread, pulled some facts and will send them to Coach V for his response. Here is my first draft:

Dear Coach:

WE ARE Bobcat Nation and have many concerns about our quarterbacking, specifically:

•We are 7-1 overall

Our QB is:

Several of Bobcat Nation have expressed concern and singled out our starting QB, noting that he is not good enough.

PortlandCat90

P.S. I just re-read this letter and I do not think that I will send it to you at the risk of looking like a complete dumba$$. Please tell our QB that the rest of us in Bobcat Nation are proud of him, believe in him, and will ride along as he, his teammates and coaches take us where we are going.
=D^

Lord Vigo
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Lord Vigo » Sun Oct 24, 2021 3:34 pm

I totally understand that some people have been or are unfair in their criticisms of McKay or others, but the reactions some fans have to even mild player critique is… a little excessive.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Sun Oct 24, 2021 3:34 pm

PortlandCat90 wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 3:05 pm

Dear Coach:

• We are 7-1 overall

Our QB is:

PortlandCat90

I like stats too. I also like watching the game. Some people here have been a little extreme but for the most part we're pointing out things McKay needs to improve on if the team is to be successful in November and December. He's been very good so far this season and I'm glad he's our QB. That doesn't mean we can't identify issues we see on the field.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Sun Oct 24, 2021 3:35 pm

Lord Vigo wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 3:34 pm
I totally understand that some people have been or are unfair in their criticisms of McKay or others, but the reactions some fans have to even mild player critique is… a little excessive.
Apparently you're only allowed to discuss negatives if the team loses.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

tetoncat
Member # Retired

Post by tetoncat » Sun Oct 24, 2021 3:39 pm

PortlandCat90 wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 3:04 pm

Dear Coach:

•We are 7-1 overall

Our QB is:

PortlandCat90

So no one on a message board is supposed to give opinions. Got it. From now on everyone will just repeat the stats and highlights, sing the fight song and discuss how much we will win by next week

Sports is not bigger than life

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Sun Oct 24, 2021 3:55 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:52 pm
So funny. Some people have such unrealistic expectations. These guys aren’t going to be perfect. In the case of McKay, he’s going to make mistakes. He’s going to miss open receivers. Even yesterday there were some plays where I was kind of scratching my head. But as a WHOLE he’s doing great, as a team we’re in a great spot.

Name any qb you want at any level of football and I’ll find mistakes they made. Hell, anyone watching Mahomes and the Chiefs right now?! I’ve seen about 10 “bad” plays by mahomes already and by all accounts, he’s a pretty decent player.

I swear some people expect a quarterback to complete 100% of their passes, score touchdowns every single drive, have zero penalties every game, and never make a mistake.

If you have serious qualms about our qb play right now, honestly you’re just searching for something to bitch about.

In my humble opinion.
You’re absolutely correct.

And just to point out, I don’t have serious qualms about our QB play, but I do think he will need to play better than he did the last two games if we want to beat EWU.

A lot of my frustration is that I see fairly easy yards being left out on the field. Now this happens to every single team, even Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers, they’re not flawless either. I don’t think that means that certain things shouldn’t be pointed out either. I can say McKay has missed easy throws or made bad reads while still saying he overall played well, for example (I’m not saying you have said otherwise either). Some people like Bob thinks McKay sucks, some people think that he’s great and infallible, both of those are wrong. I think, like somebody else posted, he’s a more athletic Rovig…and there’s a lot of flaws there. Lot of good plays too.

WalkOn79
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by WalkOn79 » Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:04 pm

PapaG wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:28 pm
utucats wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:20 pm
94VegasCat wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:17 pm
We lost once this season with a phantom holding call. Mellot isn’t the answer to people thinking he’d be better than McKay. You’re nuts if you truly believe that.
We’ve lost once but our defense can’t be expected to completely dominate every game. We have to have an offensive presence that is more than just Ifanse dragging the other teams D down the field.
So, is putting in a true freshman who has a five play playbook when the team is 7-1 and heading for a huge game in Cheney what you propose? That’s such a ridiculous take it makes me wonder if you’ve ever been on a team or in a locker room. If MSU lost the game using your idea, Vigen loses the locker room but that’s only in fantasy world. It’s such an unrealistic idea that you must be trolling.
Totally agree. Incorporating more of Tommy in the last three games would be a good move though.

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

WalkOn79

Post by WalkOn79 » Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:07 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:57 am
PapaG wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:30 am
bobcatfan123 wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:13 am
PapaG wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:36 pm
Vigen to Team: Hey guys, great win, we’ve won 7 games but those are behind us, let’s celebrate this one and focus on EWU starting tomorrow. Oh, and over the bye week we’re going to be rolling with Tommy as QB1 against EWU and for the rest of the year.

Team: Has coach lost his freaking mind? Who is this guy.

Me: People complaining about McKay, who has 13 TD/1/INT on the season, boggles the mind.
McKays last two games were not good. He threw for 76 yards against Weber, 136 today and was about 50% on his pass completion. Idaho State did put six in the box and seemed to emphasize eliminating the passing attack ( but we’re talking 1-6 Idaho state). Anyways, I hope McKay turns it around as he can be a great player. But Vigen won’t continue to play a struggling qb just because the TEAM is winning games. He will play the qb that gives the team the best chance to win. If this trend continues it could be Rovig.

It’s a tough year to find much to complain about. This year has been awesome, fans have packed in each game, great to have football back and be better than we’ve been in a long long time. Go cats!
I was incorrect on the TD passes. Matt has 15 in 8 games, same number Tucker had the entire 2019 season including playoffs.

A tough year to find things to complain about, yet here you are complaining. How is Mcakay “struggling,” by the way. He threw 2 TDs today and has as many already as Rovig had in 13 games in 2019.

I’d hate to play QB under some of you armchair coaches. 7-1, 15/1 ratio, 65% completion rate in a vertical passing game, Top 10 ranking, and you bench me … I don’t get it. Lose the EWU game and you lose a lot of the veteran players with Mellot at QB.
This whole thread is an embarrassment. Some fans just don’t know how to enjoy a winning season.
Totally!!

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Dmsubrew
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Dmsubrew » Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:13 pm

WalkOn79 wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:07 pm
Cataholic wrote:
PapaG wrote:
bobcatfan123 wrote:
PapaG wrote:
Vigen to Team: Hey guys, great win, we’ve won 7 games but those are behind us, let’s celebrate this one and focus on EWU starting tomorrow. Oh, and over the bye week we’re going to be rolling with Tommy as QB1 against EWU and for the rest of the year.

Me: People complaining about McKay, who has 13 TD/1/INT on the season, boggles the mind.
McKays last two games were not good. He threw for 76 yards against Weber, 136 today and was about 50% on his pass completion. Idaho State did put six in the box and seemed to emphasize eliminating the passing attack ( but we’re talking 1-6 Idaho state). Anyways, I hope McKay turns it around as he can be a great player. But Vigen won’t continue to play a struggling qb just because the TEAM is winning games. He will play the qb that gives the team the best chance to win. If this trend continues it could be Rovig.

It’s a tough year to find much to complain about. This year has been awesome, fans have packed in each game, great to have football back and be better than we’ve been in a long long time. Go cats!
I was incorrect on the TD passes. Matt has 15 in 8 games, same number Tucker had the entire 2019 season including playoffs.

A tough year to find things to complain about, yet here you are complaining. How is Mcakay “struggling,” by the way. He threw 2 TDs today and has as many already as Rovig had in 13 games in 2019.

I’d hate to play QB under some of you armchair coaches. 7-1, 15/1 ratio, 65% completion rate in a vertical passing game, Top 10 ranking, and you bench me … I don’t get it. Lose the EWU game and you lose a lot of the veteran players with Mellot at QB.
This whole thread is an embarrassment. Some fans just don’t know how to enjoy a winning season.
Totally!!
Wish someone had thrown a clipboard at this game so we had something real to complain about

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:28 pm

bobcatfan123 wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:16 am
Cataholic wrote:
PapaG wrote:
bobcatfan123 wrote:
PapaG wrote:

Listen fellas, pointing out that McKay had two rough games doesn’t mean that we are bad fans, not enjoying the season, or are complaining. We’re all just here to talk about football, that is the point of the forum.

- McKay has high upside and when he is playing well gives us our best chance to win. We will need him to play well to best Eastern Washington.

- You can’t compare Rovigs numbers as he didn’t start until the 4th game of the season and Choate had a more run heavy philosophy. Dude has proven he can play well against playoff caliber teams.
Vs sac state 16/29, 262 yards 1 touchdown, 1 interception
Vs. Griz 7/13 , 103 yards
Vs. Albany 24/30for 278, 3 touchdowns
Vs. Austin peay 13/20 for 113, 1 touchdown
Vs nd state 13/21 for 150, 1 touchdown, 1 interception

His low passing numbers were because we really didn’t throw a whole lot in a number of games. He is a good qb and a
viable option if McKay gets hurt or continues to struggle
Did you want to re-read the thread (like Montanabob comments) and think over your response again? I stand by my earlier comment that this thread (the critics of McKay specifically) are an embarrassment. The efficiency of McKay and the success of the team has been remarkable.

WalkOn79

Post by WalkOn79 » Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:40 pm

MSU01 wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:40 pm
codecat wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:35 pm
The bottom line, no matter who is behind center this year, is that however our passing attack goes, so goes the offense because we do not have the same blocking capability up front that we did last year to be able to run on most anyone whenever we wanted.
Is that really true? MSU averages 5.4 YPC this year which is only down by 0.3 from their 5.7 YPC in 2019.
Exactly! And Elliot is getting better every game. We missed Logan early on but Elliot is starting to fill that role.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:11 pm

MSU was probably going to beat everyone except Wyoming, PSU and WSU without McKay. They're 2-1 in those games. I don't think he did anything to cause MSU to lose to Wyoming.

Wyoming - MSU had drives for the go ahead score twice (FG/TD pass) in the fourth quarter, but both times Wyoming was able to retake the lead. The TD drive that gave MSU its last lead he was 3 for 3 for 51 yards and ran once for 4 yards. The other 20 yards were a 5 yard carry by Ifanse and a 15 yard facemask penalty. The last drive was asking a lot due to the amount of time left and only one timeout and a false start on the first play, but he had MSU moving. If they had all their TOs or if Ifanse goes out at the 42, instead of the 40, to stop the clock, then MSU has a shot at tying the score, because I think Glessner was capable of kicking a 60-yarder in Wyoming at 7,220'.

PSU - MSU struggled in the first half both offensively and defensively, and trailed by 1 late in the third quarter, then scored two unanswered touchdowns via McKay TD passes.

WSU - MSU struggled to run or pass the ball, but McKay scored a TD on 4th and 1 and had a long run run for a first down to put MSU in Victory Formation. In a low scoring game those were huge plays. Easily two of the 10 biggest plays in that game.

I agree that he can be criticized and that's just part of sports, but IMO a good QB makes plays when you need to make plays to win games and that's the No. 1 thing any player can do. He's done that in all three games and hasn't caved under the pressure. When you need a stop, the defense gets you a stop. When you need points, the offense gets you points.

The QB is under the scrutiny, but everyone on the team has made critical mistakes this season. They've all made even more critical positive plays, too. Consistently enough to get to 7-1, 5-0 and that's encouraging.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

bobcatfan123
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by bobcatfan123 » Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:22 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:28 pm
bobcatfan123 wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
PapaG wrote:
bobcatfan123 wrote:
PapaG wrote:

Listen fellas, pointing out that McKay had two rough games doesn’t mean that we are bad fans, not enjoying the season, or are complaining. We’re all just here to talk about football, that is the point of the forum.

- McKay has high upside and when he is playing well gives us our best chance to win. We will need him to play well to best Eastern Washington.

- You can’t compare Rovigs numbers as he didn’t start until the 4th game of the season and Choate had a more run heavy philosophy. Dude has proven he can play well against playoff caliber teams.

His low passing numbers were because we really didn’t throw a whole lot in a number of games. He is a good qb and a
Did you want to re-read the thread (like Montanabob comments) and think over your response again? I stand by my earlier comment that this thread (the critics of McKay specifically) are an embarrassment. The efficiency of McKay and the success of the team has been remarkable.
Ok,I was wrong. We are an infallible team with no weaknesses. The good, bad, and ugly post will now be changed to the good, better, and best.

superbobcat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by superbobcat » Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:37 pm

bobcatfan123 wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:22 pm
Cataholic wrote:
bobcatfan123 wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
PapaG wrote:
bobcatfan123 wrote:
PapaG wrote:

Ok,I was wrong. We are an infallible team with no weaknesses. The good, bad, and ugly post will now be changed to the good, better, and best.
Don’t be so sensitive. Our world is a critical world. We are undefeated in conference play, we find ways to win. That is all that matters. It keeps getting harder as 2-3 games are against top teams. Keep rolling Bobcats!!

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:29 pm

bobcatfan123 wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:22 pm
Cataholic wrote:
bobcatfan123 wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
PapaG wrote:
bobcatfan123 wrote:
PapaG wrote:

For F%#* sakes! This is beyond critique. Especially when the kid is busting his ass and has the team on a roll. These type of threads should be left for Egriz.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:41 pm

Press submit and suffer the consequences or reap the benefits.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

Catbacker_1
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Catbacker_1 » Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:46 pm

Matt is a really good qb but has some areas of improvement in my opinion to become a great qb. I’m no expert on the subject, these are just my thoughts.
1. The most obvious, he needs to go through his progressions.no surprise here, He zeros in one one receiver. Seems to be an issue with many inexperienced quarterbacks. I think this will get better with time.
2. Matt is really good at throwing the long ball. His generally puts it where only his receiver can get it. That takes touch, a skill many qbs struggle with but I believe that he needs to work on his velocity. Often he will throw the quick outs and by the time the ball gets there so does the defense Sometimes you need a the fastball to blow by a defender.
3. Kind of tied to 1 but when he does come off his first read he’s tends to hang in the pocket too long and that’s when he takes sacks. I know sacks happen and sometimes it better to eat the ball then make a foolish throw, but there needs to be a clock in his head when it’s time to bail or throw the ball away. This is by far the least concerning aspect of his game and with more reaps should also improve.

Overall I think we have a good qb and with a little work could be a great one.

Image.
It’s spelled offense and defense

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:06 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:11 pm
MSU was probably going to beat everyone except Wyoming, PSU and WSU without McKay. They're 2-1 in those games. I don't think he did anything to cause MSU to lose to Wyoming.

Wyoming - MSU had drives for the go ahead score twice (FG/TD pass) in the fourth quarter, but both times Wyoming was able to retake the lead. The TD drive that gave MSU its last lead he was 3 for 3 for 51 yards and ran once for 4 yards. The other 20 yards were a 5 yard carry by Ifanse and a 15 yard facemask penalty. The last drive was asking a lot due to the amount of time left and only one timeout and a false start on the first play, but he had MSU moving. If they had all their TOs or if Ifanse goes out at the 42, instead of the 40, to stop the clock, then MSU has a shot at tying the score, because I think Glessner was capable of kicking a 60-yarder in Wyoming at 7,220'.

PSU - MSU struggled in the first half both offensively and defensively, and trailed by 1 late in the third quarter, then scored two unanswered touchdowns via McKay TD passes.

WSU - MSU struggled to run or pass the ball, but McKay scored a TD on 4th and 1 and had a long run run for a first down to put MSU in Victory Formation. In a low scoring game those were huge plays. Easily two of the 10 biggest plays in that game.

I agree that he can be criticized and that's just part of sports, but IMO a good QB makes plays when you need to make plays to win games and that's the No. 1 thing any player can do. He's done that in all three games and hasn't caved under the pressure. When you need a stop, the defense gets you a stop. When you need points, the offense gets you points.

The QB is under the scrutiny, but everyone on the team has made critical mistakes this season. They've all made even more critical positive plays, too. Consistently enough to get to 7-1, 5-0 and that's encouraging.
If McKay can play like he did against Wyoming every game, I don’t think we lose another conference game. That was his best game of the year, easily.

Lord Vigo
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Lord Vigo » Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:05 pm

superbobcat wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:37 pm
Don’t be so sensitive. Our world is a critical world. We are undefeated in conference play, we find ways to win. That is all that matters. It keeps getting harder as 2-3 games are against top teams. Keep rolling Bobcats!!
I will probably regret this, but I just couldn't pass up on the irony.

This is the comment to those who are critical of McKay's play yesterday? That's too funny.