Matt McKay

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Re: Matt McKay

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:18 pm

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:06 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:11 pm
MSU was probably going to beat everyone except Wyoming, PSU and WSU without McKay. They're 2-1 in those games. I don't think he did anything to cause MSU to lose to Wyoming.

Wyoming - MSU had drives for the go ahead score twice (FG/TD pass) in the fourth quarter, but both times Wyoming was able to retake the lead. The TD drive that gave MSU its last lead he was 3 for 3 for 51 yards and ran once for 4 yards. The other 20 yards were a 5 yard carry by Ifanse and a 15 yard facemask penalty. The last drive was asking a lot due to the amount of time left and only one timeout and a false start on the first play, but he had MSU moving. If they had all their TOs or if Ifanse goes out at the 42, instead of the 40, to stop the clock, then MSU has a shot at tying the score, because I think Glessner was capable of kicking a 60-yarder in Wyoming at 7,220'.

PSU - MSU struggled in the first half both offensively and defensively, and trailed by 1 late in the third quarter, then scored two unanswered touchdowns via McKay TD passes.

WSU - MSU struggled to run or pass the ball, but McKay scored a TD on 4th and 1 and had a long run run for a first down to put MSU in Victory Formation. In a low scoring game those were huge plays. Easily two of the 10 biggest plays in that game.

I agree that he can be criticized and that's just part of sports, but IMO a good QB makes plays when you need to make plays to win games and that's the No. 1 thing any player can do. He's done that in all three games and hasn't caved under the pressure. When you need a stop, the defense gets you a stop. When you need points, the offense gets you points.

The QB is under the scrutiny, but everyone on the team has made critical mistakes this season. They've all made even more critical positive plays, too. Consistently enough to get to 7-1, 5-0 and that's encouraging.
If McKay can play like he did against Wyoming every game, I don’t think we lose another conference game. That was his best game of the year, easily.
No doubt. He’s played his best when MSU is behind. MSU has had QBs that people consider better than McKay that didn’t do that.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:47 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:18 pm
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:06 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:11 pm
MSU was probably going to beat everyone except Wyoming, PSU and WSU without McKay. They're 2-1 in those games. I don't think he did anything to cause MSU to lose to Wyoming.

Wyoming - MSU had drives for the go ahead score twice (FG/TD pass) in the fourth quarter, but both times Wyoming was able to retake the lead. The TD drive that gave MSU its last lead he was 3 for 3 for 51 yards and ran once for 4 yards. The other 20 yards were a 5 yard carry by Ifanse and a 15 yard facemask penalty. The last drive was asking a lot due to the amount of time left and only one timeout and a false start on the first play, but he had MSU moving. If they had all their TOs or if Ifanse goes out at the 42, instead of the 40, to stop the clock, then MSU has a shot at tying the score, because I think Glessner was capable of kicking a 60-yarder in Wyoming at 7,220'.

PSU - MSU struggled in the first half both offensively and defensively, and trailed by 1 late in the third quarter, then scored two unanswered touchdowns via McKay TD passes.

WSU - MSU struggled to run or pass the ball, but McKay scored a TD on 4th and 1 and had a long run run for a first down to put MSU in Victory Formation. In a low scoring game those were huge plays. Easily two of the 10 biggest plays in that game.

I agree that he can be criticized and that's just part of sports, but IMO a good QB makes plays when you need to make plays to win games and that's the No. 1 thing any player can do. He's done that in all three games and hasn't caved under the pressure. When you need a stop, the defense gets you a stop. When you need points, the offense gets you points.

The QB is under the scrutiny, but everyone on the team has made critical mistakes this season. They've all made even more critical positive plays, too. Consistently enough to get to 7-1, 5-0 and that's encouraging.
If McKay can play like he did against Wyoming every game, I don’t think we lose another conference game. That was his best game of the year, easily.
No doubt. He’s played his best when MSU is behind. MSU has had QBs that people consider better than McKay that didn’t do that.
Be nice if we didn’t have to find out!

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:54 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:19 pm
We could have Aaron Rodgers at QB and have people saying we need a different QB.
Yup, he’s too old.

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:59 pm

catsrback76 wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:21 pm
gtapp wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:16 pm
We need to try someone else. McKay appears to have lost all confidence.
I was thinking the same thing as I watched the game unfold. He seemed to lack confidence after his first 2 incompletions and his fumble. I think he ended strong and that will lend itself to the bye week. But, I would have him work on his roll out throwing. There is no reason why he shouldn't be able to throw a drop down pass to a TE or a slot receiver or even a wheel route...without it looking like a wounded duck flying into a Choteau County West wind!
He may still be rattled/dinged from that hit and pile-driving he got at Weber.

Speaking of wheel routes, can’t we get someone to pretend to be Brekke (or Andersen vs. Western Illinois) and run a few of those? Mellott?

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:10 pm

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:59 pm
catsrback76 wrote:
gtapp wrote:
I was thinking the same thing as I watched the game unfold. He seemed to lack confidence after his first 2 incompletions and his fumble. I think he ended strong and that will lend itself to the bye week. But, I would have him work on his roll out throwing. There is no reason why he shouldn't be able to throw a drop down pass to a TE or a slot receiver or even a wheel route...without it looking like a wounded duck flying into a Choteau County West wind!

Speaking of wheel routes, can’t we get someone to pretend to be Brekke (or Andersen vs. Western Illinois) and run a few of those? Mellott?
He was much better in the second half. Just got done with my rewatch. Still think our passing offense pushes too much to the sidelines. Need to attack the seems more.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:02 am

VimSince03 wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:10 pm
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
catsrback76 wrote:
gtapp wrote:

He was much better in the second half. Just got done with my rewatch. Still think our passing offense pushes too much to the sidelines. Need to attack the seems more.
They do go to the sidelines a lot, but that's also McKay's strength. What I didn't like was not just sending the 6'5" Smith deep at least once. Seems like he runs a lot of short crossing patterns. He was being covered by a 5'10" corner. Maybe that guy is an All-Big Sky guy or something?

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:20 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:02 am
VimSince03 wrote:
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
catsrback76 wrote:
gtapp wrote:

They do go to the sidelines a lot, but that's also McKay's strength. What I didn't like was not just sending the 6'5" Smith deep at least once. Seems like he runs a lot of short crossing patterns. He was being covered by a 5'10" corner. Maybe that guy is an All-Big Sky guy or something?
On the first quarter TD drive - I believe it was that drive - after the false start penalty, they did go deep to Smith. He got interfered with in the end zone, which set the Cats up in the red zone.

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

The Butcher
Golden Bobcat

Post by The Butcher » Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:21 am

VimSince03 wrote:
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
catsrback76 wrote:
gtapp wrote:

I would REALLY like to see more bootlegs. McKay has done well with those plays, but for some reason we don't call it very often. QBs have made a living out of bootlegs, and with our running attack it seems like a good offensive scheme.

seataccat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by seataccat » Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:28 am

The Butcher wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:21 am
VimSince03 wrote:
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
catsrback76 wrote:
gtapp wrote:

I would REALLY like to see more bootlegs. McKay has done well with those plays, but for some reason we don't call it very often. QBs have made a living out of bootlegs, and with our running attack it seems like a good offensive scheme.
Yes, and more TE crossing route.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Voltaire

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:43 am

There was a 3rd and goal from the 7 that McKay took a sack on that I commented on the route tree in the game thread. We stacked up 3 receivers in the right corner of the end zone. The left side was almost completely open and they had Smith run a 4 yard inside curl instead of going to the corner. I really think that was an opportunity for a jump ball to him. Thinking back I think they were trying to clear with him and throw a wheel route to Elliot on that side but it was covered. I think there needs to be a higher priority to isolate our big receivers/TEs and get them some jump ball opportunities. It seems we don't try that with anyone besides McCutcheon so that might be a trust thing with McKay.

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

Lord Vigo
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Lord Vigo » Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:03 pm

Tired: Not being allowed to criticize Tucker Rovig.

Wired: Not being allowed to criticize Matt McKay.
Last edited by Lord Vigo on Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:02 pm

I have no problem whatsoever if posters want to criticize how a particular player is doing, pointing out things they can improve upon, etc. To each his own. What gets me though... is when people post things like, McKay is struggling, it's time for a change, put in Mellott. I'm sorry, but if people really believe that then they probably don't know much about how college football really works. He's QB4 for a reason. McKay is starting for a reason. He's starting because he's the best QB on the team and he give us the best opportunity to win games. I know this is true, because the coaches... you know, the people who watch and evaluate these kids almost non stop,y whose income and livelihoods depend on winning games... ya those guys, made that decision. I think I'll trust them.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:17 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
catsrback76 wrote:
gtapp wrote:

Hoping they’ve gone vanilla in recent games because there are TE cross routes and sit downs there for the taking for easy yards. I like a vertical passing game, but the coaches could help by utilizing the TEs and giving them a few targets. That would keep the safeties and LBs honest.

Could be worse. I was about to throw a shoe through my TV watching Anthony Brown throw two huge interceptions in the 4th against UCLA and almost give away a the games for the Ducks. Now that’s a QB worth criticizing. A 6th year SR making freshman mistakes is what is holding Oregon back this season.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:29 pm

PapaG wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:17 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
catsrback76 wrote:
gtapp wrote:

Hoping they’ve gone vanilla in recent games because there are TE cross routes and sit downs there for the taking for easy yards. I like a vertical passing game, but the coaches could help by utilizing the TEs and giving them a few targets. That would keep the safeties and LBs honest.

Could be worse. I was about to throw a shoe through my TV watching Anthony Brown throw two huge interceptions in the 4th against UCLA and almost give away a the games for the Ducks. Now that’s a QB worth criticizing. A 6th year SR making freshman mistakes is what is holding Oregon back this season.
I think this bye week comes at a perfect time. Coaches can take some time for self scout, they can adjust/expand the playbook. Not to mention, they'll have some time to log in to Bobcat Nation to learn a thing or two. ;)

McKay has a lot of strengths. He's great at the deep outs on the wide side of the field. He throws a nice back shoulder deep ball, and I think he's dangerous when he rolls outside the pocket and finds those TE crossers.

I'd like for him to improve on reading the defense in the zone read game. In addition, I think he needs to get better with selling the ball fakes when he pulls it and runs himself.

I'd also like to see some more fly sweep action with willie, cam, andrew peterson, etc. I think part of the reason we had a hard time running between the tackles the past couple weeks is that we really didn't to anything to test the edges, and soften up the middle.

Like I said, I think this is the perfect time for a bye.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:06 pm

grizzh8r wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:20 am
TomCat88 wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
catsrback76 wrote:
gtapp wrote:

On the first quarter TD drive - I believe it was that drive - after the false start penalty, they did go deep to Smith. He got interfered with in the end zone, which set the Cats up in the red zone.
…at least twice. 🤣

toM StUber

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:15 pm

grizzh8r wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
catsrback76 wrote:
gtapp wrote:

Speaking of interference, as often as McKay underthrows receivers on deep balls we should be doing that more often as that's a great way to get a PI call when the receiver has to come back to the ball and the defender gets stuck in the way.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:22 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:15 pm
grizzh8r wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
catsrback76 wrote:
gtapp wrote:

Speaking of interference, as often as McKay underthrows receivers on deep balls we should be doing that more often as that's a great way to get a PI call when the receiver has to come back to the ball and the defender gets stuck in the way.
It’s call a back shoulder throw. Lance dropped two of them that were thrown perfectly. Not blaming Lance, it happens, but with big WRs and small DBs, that play works.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:28 pm

PapaG wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:22 pm
coloradocat wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:15 pm
grizzh8r wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
catsrback76 wrote:
gtapp wrote:

It’s call a back shoulder throw. Lance dropped two of them that were thrown perfectly. Not blaming Lance, it happens, but with big WRs and small DBs, that play works.
Maybe on the play referenced above but I'm talking about when the pass is just short. When the receiver has to come back for the ball, not by design, and the DB can't adjust and runs into him.

Either way, McKay needs to clean up his ball placement in general and guys need to catch the ball when it's thrown well.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

CatsNoMatterWhat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by CatsNoMatterWhat » Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:32 pm

McKay looks to me like he’s having some confidence issues to me; nothing more. Those issues happen in the middle of the season to QBs at every level: the adrenaline of the start of the season has worn off, but the adrenaline of the post-season hasn’t started yet, and players get “sleepy”. They make a few unusual mistakes, and ::boom:: confidence gets shaky. The MOST confident player I’ve ever seen at the QB position at MSU was Dakota Prukop. Dude had straight swagger. I don’t see that in McKay right now.

I think he’ll snap out of it in Cheney on that huge stage. With all of that said, there is no question he’s our QB1 and has done a GREAT job this year.

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:20 pm

CatsNoMatterWhat wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:32 pm
McKay looks to me like he’s having some confidence issues to me; nothing more. Those issues happen in the middle of the season to QBs at every level: the adrenaline of the start of the season has worn off, but the adrenaline of the post-season hasn’t started yet, and players get “sleepy”. They make a few unusual mistakes, and ::boom:: confidence gets shaky. The MOST confident player I’ve ever seen at the QB position at MSU was Dakota Prukop. Dude had straight swagger. I don’t see that in McKay right now.

I think he’ll snap out of it in Cheney on that huge stage. With all of that said, there is no question he’s our QB1 and has done a GREAT job this year.
I'd never thought of it like that before, but you're right, Prukop had a bit of cocky swagger to him. Not obnoxiously so, but definitely apparent. And both Lulay and McGhee had that quiet, steadying confidence that all great leaders have. I've yet to hear an interview with McKay to gauge his demeanor, so I have zero feel for him in this regard. Understand that I'm not trying to compare him to two of the greatest Bobcat QB's of all time...

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl: