Poke Fans rethinking Vigen's Coaching

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Poke Fans rethinking Vigen's Coaching

Post by Rich K » Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:04 pm

I think this is an interesting thread over on the Wyoming forum.
https://www.wyonation.com/forum/viewtop ... 7ee1b40a5a

I don't know if they owe Vigen an apology as I"m not sure he payed much attention to them.

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

Lord Vigo
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Re: Poke Fans rethinking Vigen's Coaching

Post by Lord Vigo » Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:35 am

The thing I found really interesting about Housewright's interview after the Weber game was that he said Vigen was in his ear telling him to be more aggressive.

Vigen certainly lives on the safe/conservative side of the coaching spectrum, but that note indicated to me that he might not be as extreme as I initially thought.

FYI
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by FYI » Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:06 am

The 10-17 post by LanderPoke regarding "the least creative run game" was a bit disconcerting.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:14 am

FYI wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:06 am
The 10-17 post by LanderPoke regarding "the least creative run game" was a bit disconcerting.
I like who we have in the offensive staff room. Army has done a nice job with the run game the past few years. I really like what Udy brings to the table as well. Jimmy Beall has lots of experience, and I don't know a lot about Nate Potter, but he can bring a lot of ideas from the Choate era as well.

The choate staff seemed to have cracked the code a bit on how to attach UM's defense. Hopefully they are bringing that knowledge to the table, and that it's warmly received by Vigen and House

Marana CAT
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Marana CAT » Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:54 am

wbtfg wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:14 am
FYI wrote:
I like who we have in the offensive staff room. Army has done a nice job with the run game the past few years. I really like what Udy brings to the table as well. Jimmy Beall has lots of experience, and I don't know a lot about Nate Potter, but he can bring a lot of ideas from the Choate era as well.

The choate staff seemed to have cracked the code a bit on how to attach UM's defense. Hopefully they are bringing that knowledge to the table, and that it's warmly received by Vigen and House
Code cracking numbers in the backfield for the Cats against UM is #16, #22 and #15 on a few well designed plays. I believe it was called Diamond formation a few years back. Would luv to see that appear out of no where Cat/griz.

"Sticks and stones may break my bones, but I will kick you repeatedly in the balls, Gardocki!"

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:22 am

Marana CAT wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:54 am
wbtfg wrote:
FYI wrote:

Code cracking numbers in the backfield for the Cats against UM is #16, #22 and #15 on a few well designed plays. I believe it was called Diamond formation a few years back. Would luv to see that appear out of no where Cat/griz.
It was used a bunch in 2016 and 2017. 2018 was a whole lot of Troy willing us to victory behind a strong second half effort by the entire team. In 2019? MSU simply ran inside zone and jet sweeps and some were from 2 back sets. Sac State did a bunch of 20 personnel and were somewhat successful. Their lead back Perkinson was taken out of the equation to the tune of under 2 yards a carry. However, their running QB and two other backs averaged over 4.5 yards a carry on 32 rushes. Sac was balanced in their game plan and threw the ball effeciently as well. MSU will likely show a lot of 2 back looks mixed with some Touchdown Tommy in the run game. Despite having an ALL WORLD safety in Robby Hauck, UM struggles the most when you gash them through the air.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

FYI
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by FYI » Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:24 am

Marana CAT wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
FYI wrote:

Actually, Coach Vigen might consider going with that group and those plays all day long. Air Force threw one pass (count 'em...1) and beat Boise State. Somewhere Earle Solomson is smiling.

Common Cat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Common Cat » Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:44 am

VimSince03 wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:22 am
Marana CAT wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
FYI wrote:

It was used a bunch in 2016 and 2017. 2018 was a whole lot of Troy willing us to victory behind a strong second half effort by the entire team. In 2019? MSU simply ran inside zone and jet sweeps and some were from 2 back sets. Sac State did a bunch of 20 personnel and were somewhat successful. Their lead back Perkinson was taken out of the equation to the tune of under 2 yards a carry. However, their running QB and two other backs averaged over 4.5 yards a carry on 32 rushes. Sac was balanced in their game plan and threw the ball effeciently as well. MSU will likely show a lot of 2 back looks mixed with some Touchdown Tommy in the run game. Despite having an ALL WORLD safety in Robby Hauck, UM struggles the most when you gash them through the air.
Their blitzing defense leaves the middle and seams open. The cats will have to exploit that, just like the Hornets did. If the cats utilized the same offensive game package against the griz as we did Weber, then we probably are in a close game. UM has time to get their offense rolling, and a schedule that is favorable to fix things. It will be telling to see how they respond against a hapless Idaho team. Weird to think the griz were riding some of the highest of highs and now have major concerns. You can chalk some of that up to injuries for sure. To counter that, our team seems to be steady, a lot like our head coach's demeanor.

@rfoley77 @rrcatcast Golden Coolie

seataccat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by seataccat » Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:40 am

I love how this team is built for the late season. Should be able to run the ball well in the bad weather. Also the way the player rotation has been managed to develope experience. Also, I don't want to jinx them but our QB's and RB's seem to be really healthy so far.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Voltaire