Difference between Cats and Griz right now

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Difference between Cats and Griz right now

Post by catatac » Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:17 pm

Was watching highlights from Griz game. Sac was up 7 to 3 in the 2nd quarter and they had a 4th and 7 from the 50. They went for it and threw a jump ball down the field and Griz player intercepted it on the 19. Players go crazy, fans go crazy... idiotic.

Similar scenario in the Cat game against Weber, Ty Okada batted it down. Cat players seem to be playing smarter, harder, more disciplined. Ya that's just one example, but there are many others. Cats need to continue to improve and eliminate stupid penalties.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

St George
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Re: Difference between Cats and Griz right now

Post by St George » Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:47 am

The giz peaked their first game, the Bobcats haven't peaked yet.

2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by 083190 » Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:59 am

Ty Okada makes the initial hit and can cover.

catgrad05
Member # Retired

Post by catgrad05 » Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:22 am

083190 wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:59 am
But only gets credit for one tackle at a time

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:07 am

catgrad05 wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:22 am
083190 wrote:
He'll never make first team all conference only getting one tackle per play.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:48 am

coloradocat wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:07 am
catgrad05 wrote:
083190 wrote:
And as long as we're keeping this going..... early in the game he had a PI call and then the very next play got called for targeting. Ended up with two tackles on each play. They reversed the targeting call.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:55 am

The Cats are 6-1 and the griz are 4-2. When they play each other, we will know the biggest difference,

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

wapiti
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by wapiti » Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:56 am

St George wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:47 am
The giz peaked their first game, the Bobcats haven't peaked yet.
This was one thing about the Ash teams that drove me crazy. His teams were at their best early in the season and by the end of the season would barely make the playoffs and have an early exit.

Mtcatfan

Post by Mtcatfan » Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:59 am

Junior Bergen vs Isaiah Ifanse. 😳

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:24 pm

catatac wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:17 pm
Was watching highlights from Griz game. Sac was up 7 to 3 in the 2nd quarter and they had a 4th and 7 from the 50. They went for it and threw a jump ball down the field and Griz player intercepted it on the 19. Players go crazy, fans go crazy... idiotic.

Similar scenario in the Cat game against Weber, Ty Okada batted it down. Cat players seem to be playing smarter, harder, more disciplined. Ya that's just one example, but there are many others. Cats need to continue to improve and eliminate stupid penalties.
I noticed the same thing. Just a dumb play that cost them 30 yards.

https://bobcatnation.com/bobcatbb/viewt ... 99#p746487

Post Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:04 pm

Dumb interception by UM. Cost them 30 yards in field position.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

Marana CAT

Post by Marana CAT » Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:00 pm

Cat Defense is for real, griz defense smoke & mirrors...

"Sticks and stones may break my bones, but I will kick you repeatedly in the balls, Gardocki!"

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:00 pm

PapaG wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:24 pm
catatac wrote:

It wasn’t dumb. It was dUMb.

Seriously, a lot of players make that mistake, but the real idiots are the ones who were happy about it.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:04 pm

Marana CAT wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:00 pm
Cat Defense is for real, griz defense smoke & mirrors...
True.

It was really annoying hearing how great their defense was because of all the blitzing. Most good teams like to be blitzed, like good basketball teams like to be pressed.

MSU gets to the quarterback with its DL. That’s a sign of a good defense.

Joe Bobcat
Member # Retired

Post by Joe Bobcat » Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:48 pm

iaafan wrote:
PapaG wrote:
catatac wrote:

Seriously, a lot of players make that mistake, but the real idiots are the ones who were happy about it.
These kind of things happen more often when the team and individual are focused on padding the record book. That's a very UM thing.

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

MTBluesCAT
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by MTBluesCAT » Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:48 pm

Speaking of padding stats and I know this has been beat to death, but also funny and accurate most of the time. I watch the Griz games when the CATS aren't playing and it amazes me when I see the stat sheet after their games. Robby H. piled up something like 13 total tackles in the game against Sac St. and currently sits 2nd in the Big Sky Conference. Now I am not going to say Robby isn't a good football player or a good tackler because he obviously is. BUT the one thing I noticed A LOT is he is always jumping into the pile after several of his teammates have made the tackle. Sometimes even spearing his own guys in the back while doing so. Then on top of that he is usually always the last one to get OFF the pile. It is almost like he wants to be the last guy off the pile so that the stats guy thinks "Oh Robby was in on that tackle" better chalk up an assist or tackle".

He doesn't need to do this and I am surprised some of his teammates have not grabbed him by the facemask and given him the business for jumping on their backs all game long! He could become the Griz All-Time leading tackler when his career is over and I wouldn't put him in the top 40 defensive Griz players I have seen play in the last 20 years. Maybe he just rubs me the wrong way, or it is the defensive system they play. At the end of the day I guess it doesn't matter, but there is definitely something off with those stats. It certainly doesn't pass the eye test to me and I am not going to re-watch every Griz game and keep stats myself, so I guess I will just have to wonder!

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:59 pm

MTBluesCAT wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:48 pm
Speaking of padding stats and I know this has been beat to death, but also funny and accurate most of the time. I watch the Griz games when the CATS aren't playing and it amazes me when I see the stat sheet after their games. Robby H. piled up something like 13 total tackles in the game against Sac St. and currently sits 2nd in the Big Sky Conference. Now I am not going to say Robby isn't a good football player or a good tackler because he obviously is. BUT the one thing I noticed A LOT is he is always jumping into the pile after several of his teammates have made the tackle. Sometimes even spearing his own guys in the back while doing so. Then on top of that he is usually always the last one to get OFF the pile. It is almost like he wants to be the last guy off the pile so that the stats guy thinks "Oh Robby was in on that tackle" better chalk up an assist or tackle".

He doesn't need to do this and I am surprised some of his teammates have not grabbed him by the facemask and given him the business for jumping on their backs all game long! He could become the Griz All-Time leading tackler when his career is over and I wouldn't put him in the top 40 defensive Griz players I have seen play in the last 20 years. Maybe he just rubs me the wrong way, or it is the defensive system they play. At the end of the day I guess it doesn't matter, but there is definitely something off with those stats. It certainly doesn't pass the eye test to me and I am not going to re-watch every Griz game and keep stats myself, so I guess I will just have to wonder!
You must be new here. :lol:

And if not, my appreciation for at least giving this increasingly overused bit a fresh coat of paint. =D^

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:06 pm

iaafan wrote:
PapaG wrote:
catatac wrote:

Even the announcers weren't heaping any praise on him for the interception and mentioned a lot of guys would have batted it down. They seemed to think it was a wash - interception deep in griz territory is the same as Sac punting.

When you've lost the griz homer announcers you know it's bad.

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:55 pm

It drives me nuts how Baby Hauck spears into people on the ground after they are obviously down.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

DriscollCat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by DriscollCat » Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:18 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:55 pm
It drives me nuts how Baby Hauck spears into people on the ground after they are obviously down.
SAME!

chadtothebone
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by chadtothebone » Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:40 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:07 am
catgrad05 wrote:
083190 wrote:
Jumping on the pile last minute is a Hauck family tradition.

Ty Gregorak- "Football is as American as a Dad chasing his kids with power tools"