Difference between Cats and Griz right now

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Re: Difference between Cats and Griz right now

Post by PapaG » Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:17 pm

chadtothebone wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:40 pm
coloradocat wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:07 am
catgrad05 wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:22 am
083190 wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:59 am
Ty Okada makes the initial hit and can cover.
But only gets credit for one tackle at a time
He'll never make first team all conference only getting one tackle per play.
Jumping on the pile last minute is a Hauck family tradition.

I have no problem with that play. Hit Irvin in the back in a bad spot but wasn’t dirty.

Tim is almost the opposite of Bobby in personality. A genuinely nice person and for being a former NFL player, has almost no ego for someone with his career.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

MTnative
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by MTnative » Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:48 pm

PapaG wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:17 pm
chadtothebone wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:40 pm
coloradocat wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:07 am
catgrad05 wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:22 am
083190 wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:59 am
Ty Okada makes the initial hit and can cover.
But only gets credit for one tackle at a time
He'll never make first team all conference only getting one tackle per play.
Jumping on the pile last minute is a Hauck family tradition.

I have no problem with that play. Hit Irvin in the back in a bad spot but wasn’t dirty.

Tim is almost the opposite of Bobby in personality. A genuinely nice person and for being a former NFL player, has almost no ego for someone with his career.
He led with the helmet.

And his last name is Hauck. Enough said.

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:47 pm

Cledus wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:06 pm
iaafan wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:00 pm
PapaG wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:24 pm
catatac wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:17 pm
Was watching highlights from Griz game. Sac was up 7 to 3 in the 2nd quarter and they had a 4th and 7 from the 50. They went for it and threw a jump ball down the field and Griz player intercepted it on the 19. Players go crazy, fans go crazy... idiotic.

Similar scenario in the Cat game against Weber, Ty Okada batted it down. Cat players seem to be playing smarter, harder, more disciplined. Ya that's just one example, but there are many others. Cats need to continue to improve and eliminate stupid penalties.
I noticed the same thing. Just a dumb play that cost them 30 yards.

https://bobcatnation.com/bobcatbb/viewt ... 99#p746487

Post Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:04 pm

Dumb interception by UM. Cost them 30 yards in field position.
It wasn’t dumb. It was dUMb.

Seriously, a lot of players make that mistake, but the real idiots are the ones who were happy about it.
Even the announcers weren't heaping any praise on him for the interception and mentioned a lot of guys would have batted it down. They seemed to think it was a wash - interception deep in griz territory is the same as Sac punting.

When you've lost the griz homer announcers you know it's bad.
Yes, if Sac State was going to punt on 5th down. Since it was 4th down, announcers, it wasn’t at all like punting.

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:07 pm

iaafan wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:04 pm
Marana CAT wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:00 pm
Cat Defense is for real, griz defense smoke & mirrors...
True.

It was really annoying hearing how great their defense was because of all the blitzing. Most good teams like to be blitzed, like good basketball teams like to be pressed.

MSU gets to the quarterback with its DL. That’s a sign of a good defense.
I'd say they also have timely and/or well disguised blitzes.

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

Lord Vigo
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Lord Vigo » Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:14 am

This is not to disagree with the OP, but from a more objective angle the biggest difference between the Cats and Griz right now is turnover differential.

The Cats have 2 giveaways and 13 takeaways on the season (FCS games): +11

The Griz have 10 giveaways and 12 takeaways on the season (FSC games): +2

MSU takes care of the ball as well as anyone in the country. UM... does not.

MTCat75
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by MTCat75 » Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:24 pm

The real difference is
griz, they have Bobby
Cats, they have a Real Coach.

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:33 pm

MTCat75 wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:24 pm
The real difference is
griz, they have Bobby
I think Bob Hawk thought he would come back here, beat his chest, come up with a couple slogans, and everything would return to the halcyon days of old. In his post game interviews, he's clearly troubled.

Lots of people use the right-the-ship analogy, which I don't get and think is dumb. If the ship gets off course or starts to list, the people who let that happen in the first place aren't capable of correcting it.

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

St George

Post by St George » Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:43 pm

MTCat75 wrote:
The real difference is
griz, they have Bobby
You don't bring your ex-wife back, probably shouldn't bring your ex-coach either.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:21 pm

Cledus wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:33 pm
MTCat75 wrote:
The real difference is
griz, they have Bobby
I think Bob Hawk thought he would come back here, beat his chest, come up with a couple slogans, and everything would return to the halcyon days of old. In his post game interviews, he's clearly troubled.

Lots of people use the right-the-ship analogy, which I don't get and think is dumb. If the ship gets off course or starts to list, the people who let that happen in the first place aren't capable of correcting it.
Colter mentioned on one his shows how the Sac State coach didn't seem afraid of Bobbi like a lot of coaches are and that's part of why they won. I think Bobbi assumed he would come back to the BSC and everyone would cower in fear. Hasn't exactly work out that way for him.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:34 pm

St George wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:43 pm
MTCat75 wrote:
The real difference is
griz, they have Bobby
You don't bring your ex-wife back, probably shouldn't bring your ex-coach either.
The track record for it isn’t good and it’s a large sample size with a few successes.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of ... ive_tenure

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

Lord Vigo

Post by Lord Vigo » Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:27 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:21 pm
Cledus wrote:
MTCat75 wrote:
The real difference is
griz, they have Bobby

Colter mentioned on one his shows how the Sac State coach didn't seem afraid of Bobbi like a lot of coaches are and that's part of why they won. I think Bobbi assumed he would come back to the BSC and everyone would cower in fear. Hasn't exactly work out that way for him.
This is more in line with how I see it.

It's not so much that it's always a bad idea to bring back a former coach, but more that Bobby's success in the 2000's came against a weaker conference and a weaker in-state rival. He didn't walk back into the same situation, but UM fans hoped and believed it would be more of the same.

WalkOn79

Post by WalkOn79 » Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:34 pm

MTBluesCAT wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:48 pm
Speaking of padding stats and I know this has been beat to death, but also funny and accurate most of the time. I watch the Griz games when the CATS aren't playing and it amazes me when I see the stat sheet after their games. Robby H. piled up something like 13 total tackles in the game against Sac St. and currently sits 2nd in the Big Sky Conference. Now I am not going to say Robby isn't a good football player or a good tackler because he obviously is. BUT the one thing I noticed A LOT is he is always jumping into the pile after several of his teammates have made the tackle. Sometimes even spearing his own guys in the back while doing so. Then on top of that he is usually always the last one to get OFF the pile. It is almost like he wants to be the last guy off the pile so that the stats guy thinks "Oh Robby was in on that tackle" better chalk up an assist or tackle".

He doesn't need to do this and I am surprised some of his teammates have not grabbed him by the facemask and given him the business for jumping on their backs all game long! He could become the Griz All-Time leading tackler when his career is over and I wouldn't put him in the top 40 defensive Griz players I have seen play in the last 20 years. Maybe he just rubs me the wrong way, or it is the defensive system they play. At the end of the day I guess it doesn't matter, but there is definitely something off with those stats. It certainly doesn't pass the eye test to me and I am not going to re-watch every Griz game and keep stats myself, so I guess I will just have to wonder!
Wrong Angle Robbie!!

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:40 pm

Lord Vigo wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:27 pm
coloradocat wrote:
Cledus wrote:
MTCat75 wrote:
The real difference is
griz, they have Bobby

It's not so much that it's always a bad idea to bring back a former coach, but more that Bobby's success in the 2000's came against a weaker conference and a weaker in-state rival. He didn't walk back into the same situation, but UM fans hoped and believed it would be more of the same.
Correct. That's pretty much all there is to it. The conference being stronger makes getting recruits harder. Montana went from a 70/30 to 50/50 in the state. EWU gets a lot of players from Washington that UM would get, because EWU is good and because they play a fun brand of football. I don't think Weber is hurting UM's recruiting other than by finishing ahead of them and making them look like 4-5 other BSC teams. UM is good, but just not head-n-shoulders above everyone. I don't really see a path, barring anyone getting hit with probation, that anyone will ever have a choke hold on the Big Sky like they had.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:06 pm

I have been amazed at how people were gushing at how good the defense is. Then this translated to how good the team was. This also included Sam Herder and Colter. While the defense certainly looks good, the team not so much. Interestingly our d puts up as good numbers but has not been given the credit.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

Prodigal Cat

Post by Prodigal Cat » Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:26 pm

In the media address this week a reporter asked boobi how he using or applying analytics/data or at least how it was different from when he started coaching. The arrogant one said "some people really believe in it but I don't think it has application in football." The guy is so convinced he knows the answers he is unwilling to at least think about change. Coaches at the highest level are going for it on 4th down, going for 2 down 2 scores, adding different plays and removing others based on what data says. Saban and every NFL coach probably has an entire army of data people feeding them info. Anyone who watches football can see analytics Yet B hack thinks he's got it all figured out. I watched the first qtr of the Sac St game and I knew the griz were in trouble. Bobby always sticks to his game plan and refuses to make adjustments. And if they are down early pack a lunch... because its gonna be an all day kinda ass whoopin.

As much as I want them to lose to Idaho and NAU and eventually us, inside I know we should hope for continued mediocrity from dUMb. Just enough winning to keep that imbecile around because as long as he is there they will be what they have been the last couple of years. Good but very beatable. In other words they will be what the Cats were under Ash.

Brewer/Owner Copper Furrow Brewing

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:30 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:40 pm
Lord Vigo wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:27 pm
coloradocat wrote:
Cledus wrote:
MTCat75 wrote:
The real difference is
griz, they have Bobby

Correct. That's pretty much all there is to it. The conference being stronger makes getting recruits harder. Montana went from a 70/30 to 50/50 in the state. EWU gets a lot of players from Washington that UM would get, because EWU is good and because they play a fun brand of football. I don't think Weber is hurting UM's recruiting other than by finishing ahead of them and making them look like 4-5 other BSC teams. UM is good, but just not head-n-shoulders above everyone. I don't really see a path, barring anyone getting hit with probation, that anyone will ever have a choke hold on the Big Sky like they had.
Yep. When Bobby was hired back I gave those guys a lot of crap calling him the Messiah because listening to griz fans you’d literally think Jesus was coaching the griz.

The league isn’t the same. The cats aren’t the same. We won’t see another streak of 16 in the brawl, and we won’t see a team just roll the conference year in and year out.

This isn’t to say they won’t and can’t be a great team. They can. But if fans think it’s gonna be like 2001 or bust, there’s going to be a lot of very disappointed people. :lol:

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:50 pm

Prodigal Cat wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:26 pm
In the media address this week a reporter asked boobi how he using or applying analytics/data or at least how it was different from when he started coaching. The arrogant one said "some people really believe in it but I don't think it has application in football." The guy is so convinced he knows the answers he is unwilling to at least think about change. Coaches at the highest level are going for it on 4th down, going for 2 down 2 scores, adding different plays and removing others based on what data says. Saban and every NFL coach probably has an entire army of data people feeding them info. Anyone who watches football can see analytics Yet B hack thinks he's got it all figured out. I watched the first qtr of the Sac St game and I knew the griz were in trouble. Bobby always sticks to his game plan and refuses to make adjustments. And if they are down early pack a lunch... because its gonna be an all day kinda ass whoopin.

As much as I want them to lose to Idaho and NAU and eventually us, inside I know we should hope for continued mediocrity from dUMb. Just enough winning to keep that imbecile around because as long as he is there they will be what they have been the last couple of years. Good but very beatable. In other words they will be what the Cats were under Ash.
That’s super funny. Because analytics are 100% why Arron Best & Troy Taylor are 4-0 against the Griz in the last 2 seasons.

Joe Bobcat
Member # Retired

Post by Joe Bobcat » Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:06 pm

onceacat wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:50 pm
Prodigal Cat wrote:

That’s super funny. Because analytics are 100% why Arron Best & Troy Taylor are 4-0 against the Griz in the last 2 seasons.
Your statement is beyond super funny. If you were to run your "analytics are 100% why..." statement through the analytics washing machine you'd find that analytics are not in fact 100% why... Don't get me wrong I'm not anti analytics, actually quite the opposite as I have a personal connection to the money ball story and find the practice of it to have it's place, but lets keep it in perspective. 100% :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

ragucat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by ragucat » Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:40 pm

After reading all the analysis that has gone into the difference between the Griz and Cats now I did a little research and determined the only difference that counts is the Cats are tied for first in the conference and the Griz are tied for seventh

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:47 pm

Joe Bobcat wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:06 pm
onceacat wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:50 pm
Prodigal Cat wrote:

Your statement is beyond super funny. If you were to run your "analytics are 100% why..." statement through the analytics washing machine you'd find that analytics are not in fact 100% why... Don't get me wrong I'm not anti analytics, actually quite the opposite as I have a personal connection to the money ball story and find the practice of it to have it's place, but lets keep it in perspective. 100% :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
LOL, fair enough. But who's better over the last 2 seasons? The teams taht use the analytics? Or Booby?

Maybe when Booby starts using analytics, he can start competing with EWU & Sac St for conference championships.