national championship caliber team...? It’s close

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

MountainCat
BobcatNation Letterman

Re: national championship caliber team...? It’s close

Post by MountainCat » Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:34 pm

This team is full of high quality players, there is no question about that… But, I would agree with BelligerentBobcat on this one, what this team IS lacking is ELECTRIC players on the offensive side. Ifanse is my hero, I LOVE that guy! But if we look at the defensive side, Daniel Hardy, Troy Anderson, Ty Okada are guys that when they start to heat up the defense starts to surge behind them and everyone raises a level in their play. Ifanse is an awesome back, Lance is a good receiver, and McKay has done an admirable job since he’s been here. BUT, in our conference, guys like Barrierre, Trey Lance, Cooper Kupp, Dakota Prukop, THOSE guys could/can single handedly take over a game and raise all ships around them to get hot fast. The Bobcats don’t have THAT player on offense in my opinion. Obviously, those types of guys are rare and special, but we don’t have THAT guy on our team, at least not that we know of.

Coach Vigen now has a wonderful roadmap and knows what parts and pieces he needs to make the engine humm offensively and defensively, now it’s up to him and the staff to go recruit THAT guy (or more) to take us over the top.

CatBot
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by CatBot » Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:54 pm

No.

If things go well, we are likely a quarterfinals caliber team this year. Even with an EWU loss, I really believe we can beat the grizz for a 7-1 finish and a late seed. The problem with a 7 or 8 type seed is that you meet one of the Tier 1 teams on the road in the quarters, and that would probably end it. I would almost rather play at home in opening round look for a more favorable matchup in the next 2 rounds in the 3/6 or 4/5 seed part of the bracket (just like 2019). It's also possible we get as high as a 5 or 6 with a solid win against the grizz (also just like 2019), and then we should have a decent shot at the semi's. That's our ceiling imo.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:00 pm

LOL, wow there are some strange opinions in this thread. Ifanse is absolutely an explosive playmaker. Kinda hard to break every run for 50 yards when teams stack the box against him 90% of the time. :lol: Oh, and we aren't a championship caliber team unless we have a Trey Lance, Cooper Kupp, or Dakota Prukop? Got it.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

onceacat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by onceacat » Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:33 pm

PapaG wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:49 pm
luckyirishguy25 wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:18 pm
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:50 am
I think every championship caliber team has an explosive, dynamic offensive player that can flip the field at some point in the game. I don’t really think we have that player right now.

The defense is absolutely championship caliber.

We’re really close, really close. Just don’t think we’re quite there yet.
I agree with this, and I think its about time maybe we let Mellot start. He's a TA mold and with many of the same skills, he's exactly the type of player you want to win Championships.
This post about starting Mellot must be sarcasm. Right? Right! He’s a smaller version of Andersen and hasn’t thrown a pass in a game since Butte, yet you want to replace a very efficient QB who runs an offense that rarely turns the ball over. Wow.
This x100

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:38 pm

MountainCat wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:34 pm
This team is full of high quality players, there is no question about that… But, I would agree with BelligerentBobcat on this one, what this team IS lacking is ELECTRIC players on the offensive side. Ifanse is my hero, I LOVE that guy! But if we look at the defensive side, Daniel Hardy, Troy Anderson, Ty Okada are guys that when they start to heat up the defense starts to surge behind them and everyone raises a level in their play. Ifanse is an awesome back, Lance is a good receiver, and McKay has done an admirable job since he’s been here. BUT, in our conference, guys like Barrierre, Trey Lance, Cooper Kupp, Dakota Prukop, THOSE guys could/can single handedly take over a game and raise all ships around them to get hot fast. The Bobcats don’t have THAT player on offense in my opinion. Obviously, those types of guys are rare and special, but we don’t have THAT guy on our team, at least not that we know of.

Coach Vigen now has a wonderful roadmap and knows what parts and pieces he needs to make the engine humm offensively and defensively, now it’s up to him and the staff to go recruit THAT guy (or more) to take us over the top.
Couple key points: Trey Lance didn’t play in our conference.

Prukop never once took a game over against even middling competition. He put up Madden type numbers against terrible teams and during garbage time, but not once in 2 seasons did we win a game because of him. (And he was a phenomenal player, just not the kind of ‘put the team on his shoulders’ type player you reference.

Last point: we clearly have that sort of talent (e.g Andersen at RB, maybe Mellot, maybe McClutch-on)…Vigen has just made a conscious decision not to use them.

The MICKSTER
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by The MICKSTER » Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:00 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:58 pm
We still have no idea how close we are to being national championship caliber. We'll know on November 6th.
=D^ :goodpost:

The Great Catsby
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by The Great Catsby » Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:20 pm

84CatGrad wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:18 pm
We're in the mix. Which is good.
Yup we're right there. Some combination of improvement and luck and we could win.

MountainCat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by MountainCat » Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:33 pm

Funny, my bad Onceacat…. Trey Lance was not in our conference, you’re absolutely right. He was just on our slate and we had to get thumped by him. Kupp didn’t carry the team, he was just a playmaker that kept the defense somewhat honest, had to be accounted for, and eventually took his middling ability to the NFL. Prukop didn’t push the envelope by any means, he just rallied offensive guys around him and had some mediocre success at putting up a few points while he was here which was fun to watch. I’m not into arguing about it, my point is that an electric player that scares DC’s from other teams and changes game planning hasn’t stood out yet for the ‘21 Cats. I still say that though we have a lot of quality contributors THAT guy hasn’t shown up on our offense yet in 2021. Defensively, we have some clear leaders that have taken over games at given moments and made their presence felt which has in turn raised the level of guys around them. I truly hope THAT guy surfaces on the Cats offense this season, that would make the Cats nearly unstoppable IMHO… If Mellott is the guy, I can’t wait to see him blow it up! Can you imagine playing high end conference teams and having an offense that can match the intensity of our current defense?!? Unreal…

Our coaches are off to a hot start, and they we’re truthfully left in an amazing starting place with a very talented roster and program. They’re feeling it all out as they go this season and have been dialing in and learning each game to see what we’re capable of and where we’re lacking. Im stoked to see where this program b comes in the next 3-5 years!

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:52 pm

MountainCat wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:33 pm
Funny, my bad Onceacat…. Trey Lance was not in our conference, you’re absolutely right. He was just on our slate and we had to get thumped by him. Kupp didn’t carry the team, he was just a playmaker that kept the defense somewhat honest, had to be accounted for, and eventually took his middling ability to the NFL. Prukop didn’t push the envelope by any means, he just rallied offensive guys around him and had some mediocre success at putting up a few points while he was here which was fun to watch. I’m not into arguing about it, my point is that an electric player that scares DC’s from other teams and changes game planning hasn’t stood out yet for the ‘21 Cats. I still say that though we have a lot of quality contributors THAT guy hasn’t shown up on our offense yet in 2021. Defensively, we have some clear leaders that have taken over games at given moments and made their presence felt which has in turn raised the level of guys around them. I truly hope THAT guy surfaces on the Cats offense this season, that would make the Cats nearly unstoppable IMHO… If Mellott is the guy, I can’t wait to see him blow it up! Can you imagine playing high end conference teams and having an offense that can match the intensity of our current defense?!? Unreal…

Our coaches are off to a hot start, and they we’re truthfully left in an amazing starting place with a very talented roster and program. They’re feeling it all out as they go this season and have been dialing in and learning each game to see what we’re capable of and where we’re lacking. Im stoked to see where this program b comes in the next 3-5 years!
All good. But I don't think the coaches are really interested in that. They are really happy with 3.5 yards and a cloud of dust.

catsRus
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by catsRus » Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:06 pm

The Great Catsby wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:20 pm
84CatGrad wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:18 pm
We're in the mix. Which is good.
Yup we're right there. Some combination of improvement and luck and we could win.
You don't think Ifanse scares defensive coordinators? I look at him like the good old reliable workhorse, maybe not flashy like a race horse but eventually he is going to wear you down and get the upper hand.

Go Cats!
FTG

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:16 pm

onceacat wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:52 pm
MountainCat wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:33 pm

All good. But I don't think the coaches are really interested in that. They are really happy with 3.5 yards and a cloud of dust.
If they know that approach will likely win the game (game plan versus Weber), you're damm right they're happy with it, as am I!

BobcatDel
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by BobcatDel » Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:42 pm

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:54 pm
BobcatDel wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:26 pm
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:30 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:10 pm
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:50 am
I think every championship caliber team has an explosive, dynamic offensive player that can flip the field at some point in the game. I don’t really think we have that player right now.

The defense is absolutely championship caliber.

We’re really close, really close. Just don’t think we’re quite there yet.
Are you of the belief that running backs can't be that type of player? And if so is Ifanse not that type of player? Because I tend to believe he's one of the best backs in the country capable of flipping the field. Curious what your thoughts are on him.
I think Ifanse is a great back, great player. I guess what I meant when I said flip the field is doing it one play. I don’t think Ifanse is a huge threat to do that consistently.
How long is flipping the field to you? If you throw out Drake and Cal Poly games where he was used only sparingly, he had long runs of 29,46,21,18,74 yards this season already…. I call them field flipping….but that’s my opinion. The 18 yard gain was against Weber. Beyond that he can catch out of the backfield and often results in large gains in games they insert that play. Each of the 3 seasons he has played he has had runs over 60 yards in the season. Averaging close to 6 ypc across 3 seasons is not field flipping? Contrary to what was said above if you listen to the better folks around they will tell you one thing he does well is make only one cut and then full ahead….no dancing.

I hate to even mention this for the dreaded jinx….he doesn’t cost you a field flip either…..based on the stat sheet I was looking at do you know in 3 years he has never cost the team a turnover…that’s zero fumbles until this year when he fumbled one into the end zone that Bobcats recovered. I still don’t know how that was scored because it looked like he was in the end zone. But that’s a stat I find hard to believe for a guy that runs as hard as he does and takes the shots he does by both dlines and defensive backfields.

Oh well, guess you might be looking for Barry Sanders but I will take Isiah Ifanse to “flip the field” at the FCS level….but that’s just me.
I don’t think I’m explaining myself well.

I’m not running down Ifanse at all. He’s a tremendous RB. He’s just not what I view as a very explosive playmaker. He just doesn’t have great long speed. He doesn’t outrun angles. He’s still obviously a great back. I’m just saying I think a championship team needs at least one player that can do that, and I’m not sure we do (although Brown and Andrew Patterson could develop into that with time). And honestly, what we do against Northern Colorado, schools like that, I just don’t care about. They suck. Who’s the guy who can turn nothing into a great play against a good playoff team? That’s what I’m talking about. Are those players common? Not really, but being a national championship caliber team NEEDS uncommon players. We have them on defense, just not sure we do on offense.
Agreed…..he doesn’t always outrun the angles (although he did against Griz last year on a bad wheel) if that is your definition….you are looking for the Barry Sanders…and I can take a Barry Sanders or a Jim Brown who flipped the field by running over people rather than around.

As to playoff caliber teams in 2019 he did have a 60 yarder on Austin Peay, a 38 yarder against Griz and a 28 yarder against NDSU.

Oh well. I know what you are looking for. I’ll shut-up and just agree to disagree.

tetoncat
Member # Retired

Post by tetoncat » Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:02 am

Do you want a field flipper or home run hitter. Field flipper gets big plays and helps move chains. Home run hitter takes it to the house. We have both but HR gutters have only shown it against weak competition. One tough game sample doesn't tell me we don't have them.

Sports is not bigger than life

Mtcatfan
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Mtcatfan » Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:19 am

Oh we have a field flipper. He just happens to be playing D.

tetoncat
Member # Retired

Post by tetoncat » Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:29 am

Lance is a field flipper. 30 yard receptions down the sideline flip the field. Ifanse is a field flipper. Elliot and Mellot can be home run hitters, both have speed to do it. Most of these are from play design or blown coverage. There are probably only a handful each year that can do on their own. EB is one of those.

Sports is not bigger than life

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:37 am

tetoncat wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:29 am
Lance is a field flipper. 30 yard receptions down the sideline flip the field. Ifanse is a field flipper. Elliot and Mellot can be home run hitters, both have speed to do it. Most of these are from play design or blown coverage. There are probably only a handful each year that can do on their own. EB is one of those.
Exactly. Also, if you asked Vigen whether he would rather hit an 80 yard bomb for TD to open the game, or have an 11 play 8 minute drive for TD - he'd take the latter 1000% of the time.

seataccat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by seataccat » Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:04 pm

Cledus wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:40 pm
catatac wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:34 pm
CatsNoMatterWhat wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:21 pm
coloradocat wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:58 pm
We still have no idea how close we are to being national championship caliber. We'll know on November 6th.
Bingo. We will know then if we are a "high level FCS team" or a true contender.
Yep, I agree here. However, I'm going to drop this factoid here. 2010 - Cats 30, EWU 7. EWU won the national championship that year.
I was just thinking about that game today, but I couldn’t remember what year it was. I think I thought that was 2012. 2013 was the year we executed our game plan perfectly and they still scored on every single drive.
Equally as bad was the PSU game in 2015, they scored on every single possession then too. We lost 42 to 59.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Voltaire

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:51 pm

tetoncat wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:02 am
Do you want a field flipper or home run hitter. Field flipper gets big plays and helps move chains. Home run hitter takes it to the house. We have both but HR gutters have only shown it against weak competition. One tough game sample doesn't tell me we don't have them.
See, I knew there was a term for what I was thinking of, and I just couldn’t think of it. Home run hitter, can’t believe I brain farted that. Anyways, when I described a field flipper, I was describing a home run hitter. To me, they’re the same.

I don’t think we have one. I think a championship caliber team needs one, with two exceptions, and you need both.

1) Elite defense, we got that.

2) Elite OL. We don’t got that.

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:39 pm

Mtcatfan wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:19 am
Oh we have a field flipper. He just happens to be playing D.
Precisely. How many touchdowns did he have from his own end of the field? I’m not sure there’s a record for 50+ yard touchdown runs in a season, but #15 must be in the conversation.

Camo_Cat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Camo_Cat » Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:03 am

Almost without exception, not only do you have to be great and play well on the field, you have to be the beneficiary of good fortune during the course of the championship run. Perhaps the exceptions might be Alabama on the FBS level and NDSU at the FCS level. Those two seem to have the secret recipe.

Staying healthy and avoiding injury, getting the ball to bounce the right way a time or two, getting the benefit of a ref's call at that right time, and good post-season scheduling all play roles in getting that national title. I think we have the talent on the field to get the job done; we'll just see if everything else falls into place. If so, I definitely like our chances.

"I love Bozeman. I love these people. I love the Cats. I even love this weather. You think I'm gonna pick Missoula? You're crazy - gimme the Cat head!!" -- Lee Corso, ESPN GameDay