national championship caliber team...? It’s close

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

national championship caliber team...? It’s close

Post by mslacatfan » Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:48 pm

This team is close to being able to push for a national championship this year. Not there yet, but with some improvements the back half of the season, it can happen.

Defense- elite. Few teams in the country can say they have a better Defense. Definitely good enough to compete for the chipper. I see them only getting better as the season goes along.

Special teams- definitely above average, good enough. Both the kickers are outstanding. Would like to see some improvements in the return game. Kickoff and punt coverage has been incredible. Overall, good enough.

Offense- maybe slightly below average. Pretty conservative and predictable, with questionable play calling at times. The loss of Conner Wood is being felt on the OL. McKay needs to keep showing improvement. Tons of talent across the board, ifanse might be the best back in the country... coaches and players just need to keep improving.

So yeah... It all boils down to the offense. We can’t have performances like the Weber game if we expect to see a deep playoff run (our defense can only do so much against the best teams).

We are really close to fielding a team that can beat anyone. So excited to see how far this team can go! Go cats!

FTG- GO CATS GO!

Danster21
BobcatNation Letterman

Re: national championship caliber team...? It’s close

Post by Danster21 » Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:00 pm

We've been absolutely blowing the doors off of some of the bottom tier talent in the FCS and BSC. The Weber game doesn't reflect well on the offense but it's a sample size of 1 game (and that 1 was with -1 day's rest vs a team coming off a bye). I'm not saying the offense is elite by any means, I'm just saying that we're relatively untested.

Unfortunately, we won't get too many opportunities to see our team go up against playoff-caliber defense before the playoffs. EWU and Montana will be our 2 other chances. After those 2 games - even before they announce the playoff field on Sunday - I'll feel a lot better about making a judgement on the offense. I pray that the Weber game was more of a fluke.

onceacat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by onceacat » Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:18 pm

mslacatfan wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:48 pm
This team is close to being able to push for a national championship this year. Not there yet, but with some improvements the back half of the season, it can happen.

Defense- elite. Few teams in the country can say they have a better Defense. Definitely good enough to compete for the chipper. I see them only getting better as the season goes along.

Special teams- definitely above average, good enough. Both the kickers are outstanding. Would like to see some improvements in the return game. Kickoff and punt coverage has been incredible. Overall, good enough.

Offense- maybe slightly below average. Pretty conservative and predictable, with questionable play calling at times. The loss of Conner Wood is being felt on the OL. McKay needs to keep showing improvement. Tons of talent across the board, ifanse might be the best back in the country... coaches and players just need to keep improving.

So yeah... It all boils down to the offense. We can’t have performances like the Weber game if we expect to see a deep playoff run (our defense can only do so much against the best teams).

We are really close to fielding a team that can beat anyone. So excited to see how far this team can go! Go cats!
Really close to my thoughts. If the O that showed up in Ogden is what we can expect in the playoffs…playoffs are going to be disappointing. If that game was an outlier & a more “typical” score against a Weber caliber D is 25-35, then the Cats can 100% compete with the Dakota schools or Sammy.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:58 pm

We still have no idea how close we are to being national championship caliber. We'll know on November 6th.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

CatsNoMatterWhat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by CatsNoMatterWhat » Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:21 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:58 pm
We still have no idea how close we are to being national championship caliber. We'll know on November 6th.
Bingo. We will know then if we are a "high level FCS team" or a true contender.

Lord Vigo
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Lord Vigo » Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:28 pm

If their defense holds down EW, I think that will be a pretty big indicator that this team can go a long way.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:34 pm

CatsNoMatterWhat wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:21 pm
coloradocat wrote:
Yep, I agree here. However, I'm going to drop this factoid here. 2010 - Cats 30, EWU 7. EWU won the national championship that year.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:40 pm

catatac wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:34 pm
CatsNoMatterWhat wrote:
coloradocat wrote:
Yep, I agree here. However, I'm going to drop this factoid here. 2010 - Cats 30, EWU 7. EWU won the national championship that year.
I was just thinking about that game today, but I couldn’t remember what year it was. I think I thought that was 2012. 2013 was the year we executed our game plan perfectly and they still scored on every single drive.

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:14 pm

Cledus wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:40 pm
catatac wrote:
CatsNoMatterWhat wrote:
coloradocat wrote:
I was just thinking about that game today, but I couldn’t remember what year it was. I think I thought that was 2012. 2013 was the year we executed our game plan perfectly and they still scored on every single drive.
I can't resist the snark: Pretty sure the gameplay in 2013 was NOT to give up a score every single drive. Or maybe that WAS the gameplan, and it was, indeed executed perfectly.

Offensively, the gameplay was solid & generally well executed. But it was the biggest defensive disaster in MSU football history.

84CatGrad
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by 84CatGrad » Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:18 pm

We're in the mix. Which is good.

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:24 pm

onceacat wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:14 pm
Cledus wrote:
catatac wrote:
CatsNoMatterWhat wrote:
coloradocat wrote:
I can't resist the snark: Pretty sure the gameplay in 2013 was NOT to give up a score every single drive. Or maybe that WAS the gameplan, and it was, indeed executed perfectly.

Offensively, the gameplay was solid & generally well executed. But it was the biggest defensive disaster in MSU football history.
The game plan was to control the clock. We did that. Very lopsided time of possession in our favor. Cody Kirk had something like 140 yards. So every time I see someone say we’ve just to keep the ball out of their hands i roll my eyes so hard it makes a noise.

CatsNoMatterWhat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by CatsNoMatterWhat » Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:24 pm

onceacat wrote:
Cledus wrote:
catatac wrote:
CatsNoMatterWhat wrote:
coloradocat wrote:

Worse than the year Prukop put up something insane at NAU (49 or 59 points I think) and we STILL lost in regulation?

I remember watching that game and not believing what I was seeing. Never seen a track meet like it since at any level.

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Post by gtapp » Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:45 am

I think the Weber game really helped us. We had been on cruise control for 5 games and needed a test to push us to the changes we will need going forward. The talent on offense is impressive. One of the best OL's we have had, maybe a little down from 2019 but then the 2019 OL was lights out, easily the fastest and tallest group of WR's we have ever had, deep group of really good TE's a good starting QB with good depth (finally)(McKay is not McGee but he is as good), the best RB's in all of FCS (as a group) and a really good FB.

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:56 am

CatsNoMatterWhat wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:24 pm
onceacat wrote:
Cledus wrote:
catatac wrote:
CatsNoMatterWhat wrote:
coloradocat wrote:

Worse than the year Prukop put up something insane at NAU (49 or 59 points I think) and we STILL lost in regulation?

I remember watching that game and not believing what I was seeing. Never seen a track meet like it since at any level.
People always get mad at me for pointing out that all those yards & points came in garbage time against NAUs scrubs. And the D in that game at least made a few stops.

Yes, far worse that that NAU game.

coochorama42
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by coochorama42 » Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:04 am

Cledus wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:24 pm
The game plan was to control the clock. We did that. Very lopsided time of possession in our favor. Cody Kirk had something like 140 yards. So every time I see someone say we’ve just to keep the ball out of their hands i roll my eyes so hard it makes a noise.
I think the argument makes much more sense when you have an elite defense squaring off against an elite offense. At the end of the day they still need to stop that offense, but wearing down the clock - while you can - on offense is never a bad thing when the opposing offense is elite. I'm not talking about three yards and a cloud of dust here, but there's also no reason to rush to the line of scrimmage on 2nd and 2.

There are extreme counter-examples for every strategy - even when executed perfectly. I believe you are citing one of them. Nonetheless, it is a very valid concern. If the offensive gameplan is as conservative against EWU as it was against WSU, I wouldn't expect a positive outcome.

autocat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by autocat » Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:09 am

If only coach V would takeover the offensive play calling for the remainder of season [-o<

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:14 am

coochorama42 wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:04 am
Cledus wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:24 pm
I think the argument makes much more sense when you have an elite defense squaring off against an elite offense. At the end of the day they still need to stop that offense, but wearing down the clock - while you can - on offense is never a bad thing when the opposing offense is elite. I'm not talking about three yards and a cloud of dust here, but there's also no reason to rush to the line of scrimmage on 2nd and 2.

There are extreme counter-examples for every strategy - even when executed perfectly. I believe you are citing one of them. Nonetheless, it is a very valid concern. If the offensive gameplan is as conservative against EWU as it was against WSU, I wouldn't expect a positive outcome.
Under Ash, 2012 was the high water mark for the defense. It got worse every year until he was let go. I think this year's team has the chops to slow down, and dare I say stop, Eastern. And by stop, I mean hold to 30 or less. If the griz got a couple picks our boys would absolutely get at least two, probably more.

To beat Eastern, the game plan can't follow any conventional wisdom. That's essentially the point I was trying to make because most posters will always fall back on time of possession for some weird reason.

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:17 am

I've been there through 76 and 84 and I can tell you both teams were not a finished product on the field until they won the Natty. That said, getting to the tourney is the key, and hosting as many home games is critical. More than how they played at Weber...

That said, the Weber win is a great sign and portent of things to come. Our Offense will come along assuming the Capt Matthew does not get injured. Once we get by EWU and the griz and take care of business against the Idaho's...we're set and have as good, maybe better chance than most to win it all. I wouldn't even mind a loss along the way to create a rabid hunger to finish. 8)

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:23 am

Just want to remind everyone in 2019 our offense at North Dakota was horrible and we lost the game. Obviously, the team was able to regroup and move past it. Point being, at some point everyone has a bad day at the office. I don't think the output in Ogden is representative of the offense as a whole. We went 1-0 last week. Let's take that and move forward.

Let's not forget it took Matt Miller awhile to get his OC legs. That's no guarantee Housewright will be a world beater, but I believe he's growing each week even if it's not always obvious to us.

The Butcher
Golden Bobcat

Post by The Butcher » Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:25 am

autocat wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:09 am
If only coach V would takeover the offensive play calling for the remainder of season [-o<
Now that is an interesting thought!