G-B-U

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

G-B-U

Post by TomCat88 » Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:33 pm

Good - McKay's clutch TD on fourth and one, and 14-yard run to seal the win. Glessner hit both his FGS. The defense...as much as I'd like to single out Hardy, Andersen, Okada I have to just say the entire defense. The plays those guys made were in large part due to the things their teammates were doing to set them. For example, sacks are set up by the DTs (Benson) and good coverage. MSU got big time plays at key moments from all three phases. That's what great teams do.

Bad - Coaches seemed like they may have been a little nervous about the big stage. That game should take care of that.

Ugly - Nothing ugly about beating the BSC 4-time reigning champion on the road, off their bye week, on short rest, for their homecoming.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Re: G-B-U

Post by coloradocat » Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:40 pm

Good - Defense. Kicking game. MSU fans on the road.

Bad - Overly conservative play calling on offense.

Ugly - Weber helmet stickers.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

onceacat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by onceacat » Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:45 pm

Good: every single thing the D did after the first drive.

Bad: every single thing the O did after mailing it in at the end of the first half.

Ugly: Josh Davis’ leg injury. Hope he’s OK.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:09 pm

Forgot to say the block by RJ Fitzgerald on McKay's first down run was huge. Smith also had a good block on that play.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

94VegasCat
Golden Bobcat
Location: Physically in northern Montana but my heart and soul are in Bobcat Stadium

Post by 94VegasCat » Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:40 pm

Good-Taking care of the ball and not jeopardizing anything to preserve the win. On the road. Short week.

Bad-Still can’t…….never mind :deadhorse:

Ugly-the win itself but I’ll take it cuz it’s ours and the griz didn’t get one this week.

GO CATS GO. ESG! GO CATS GO

84CatGrad
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by 84CatGrad » Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:26 pm

G: D responding after allowing a 98-yard opening drive and slamming the door.

B: Going for it on 4th-and-1 at midfield when your D is dominating and they need a TD.

U: The win. Beautifully ugly.

JDoub
Member # Retired

Post by JDoub » Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:03 pm

I’d hadn’t heard Greenisms for a while until a poster brought him up, so … in a Coach Green voice:

Good: D & Kick game
“It was like that T-bone steak dinner with all the trimmings - complete and fills you up.”

Bad: Could’ve controlled LOS on O better
“Some aspects looked like we were ready to play, but other aspects looked like we just stepped off Willie Nelson’s tour bus.” But the O “was like a woodpecker in a petrified forest - just keep pecking away and look for opportunities.”

Ugly: Ugly win but a great win
“It’s like if your mother-in-law drove off a cliff in your brand new Cadillac - you know, you’ve got mixed feelings.”

Camo_Cat

Post by Camo_Cat » Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:06 pm

JDoub wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:03 pm
I’d hadn’t heard Greenisms for a while until a poster brought him up, so … in a Coach Green voice:

“It was like that T-bone steak dinner with all the trimmings - complete and fills you up.”

“Some aspects looked like we were ready to play, but other aspects looked like we just stepped off Willie Nelson’s tour bus.” But the O “was like a woodpecker in a petrified forest - just keep pecking away and look for opportunities.”

“It’s like if your mother-in-law drove off a cliff in your brand new Cadillac - you know, you’ve got mixed feelings.”
Post of the Year nominee!!

"I love Bozeman. I love these people. I love the Cats. I even love this weather. You think I'm gonna pick Missoula? You're crazy - gimme the Cat head!!" -- Lee Corso, ESPN GameDay

rivercat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by rivercat » Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:13 pm

Camo_Cat wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:06 pm
JDoub wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:03 pm

Post of the Year nominee!!
Seconded

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

sdsyvie
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by sdsyvie » Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:20 pm

84CatGrad wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:26 pm
G: D responding after allowing a 98-yard opening drive and slamming the door.

B: Going for it on 4th-and-1 at midfield when your D is dominating and they need a TD.

U: The win. Beautifully ugly.
I've thought about your bad point a lot with with whole going for it thing. In the moment I wanted punt, but don't mind the aggressiveness for the exact point you make. Our D is playing lights out. So why not try and ice it with a 1st down and game finishing drive.

onceacat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by onceacat » Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:57 pm

Also on "the Good": 3 penalties for 15 total yards. Given the dirty play by Weber in the 1st Quarter, the Cats didn't retaliate & get personal fouls.

superbobcat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by superbobcat » Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:51 am

GOOD-The win; lots of cards in the deck stacked against us. Fast game-2 ball control offenses—. Young kickers and snapper- impressive weapons.

BAD- I’m not upset by offense scheme because I believe coaches felt it would be a close game and they wanted to get out of there fast and with a win. Maybe a little diversity in the run attack though!

UGLY- I thought Sac State would beat the griz by more than that. Sure quiet this morning, from over there!

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:15 am

superbobcat wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:51 am
UGLY- I thought Sac State would beat the griz by more than that. Sure quiet this morning, from over there!

Ha. Yup, I was downtown Missoula last night.... bar scene was awfully quiet... some pretty sad faces.

FTG- GO CATS GO!

Clinton T
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Clinton T » Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:08 am

G - defensive execution (coaches and players)

B - offensive execution (coaches and players)

U - execution on third down

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:36 pm

I'm not surprised by the lack of offense and here's why, in order:

a) Weber is very good defensively;
b) MSU had poor field position most of the game aside from the two fumble recoveries;
c) the coaches played it smart/conservative knowing the defense would hold Weber as long as the offense didn't do anything to be put them in a bad spot;
d) MSU played a bunch of really poor defenses after Wyoming and simply wasn't well-conditioned for a defense like Weber's.

This game served as a great preparation for the offense for upcoming games.

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:48 pm

Good- seeing RJ back on the field!

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

FTG- GO CATS GO!

tetoncat
Member # Retired

Post by tetoncat » Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:54 pm

iaafan wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:36 pm

b) MSU had poor field position most of the game aside from the two fumble recoveries;
c) the coaches played it smart/conservative knowing the defense would hold Weber as long as the offense didn't do anything to be put them in a bad spot;
d) MSU played a bunch of really poor defenses after Wyoming and simply wasn't well-conditioned for a defense like Weber's.

Good points. We did play call a little differently after the fumbles, but still really didn't take shots. Especially on second one.

Sports is not bigger than life

BobcatDel

Post by BobcatDel » Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:32 pm

iaafan wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:36 pm

This!

Only thing I might add to your list has already been mentioned elsewhere….McKay seemed off on his throws most of the night…so why pressure/risk a pick…… which of course made it difficult to open up the offense and get more guys “out of the box”.

MSU Toddler
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by MSU Toddler » Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:10 pm

MSU starting positions from https://www.espn.com/college-football/p ... /401328068:

1: MSU 25 (Punt)
2: MSU 22 (TD)
3: MSU 30 (Punt)
4: MSU 8 (Punt)
5: MSU 9 (End of Half)
6: MSU 20 (Punt)
7: 50 off fumble (FG)
8: Weber 30 off fumble (FG)
9: MSU 25 (Punt)
10: MSU 10 (Punt)
11: MSU 10 (Punt)
12: MSU 31 (Punt)
13: MSU 45 (Punt)
14: MSU 25 (End of Game)

Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:16 pm

mslacatfan wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:15 am
superbobcat wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:51 am

Ha. Yup, I was downtown Missoula last night.... bar scene was awfully quiet... some pretty sad faces.
I played golf with a buddy of mine today who is a Griz fan, although he doesn't really follow the BSC that closely. He was talking about how shocking it was that they lost to Sac yesterday, and I pointed out that Sac is actually a pretty good team, and UM has probably been a bit overrated all season, ever since the season opening win over U-Dub. He countered by saying he'd heard the Griz had something like a 90% chance of winning. I'm assuming he'd heard that from other Griz fans, and I replied that I wasn't a bit surprised that Griz fans would think that, but most Griz fans are highly delusional about how good they are, pretty much every year, but especially ever since Hauck came back, and more than ever this year. Of course, he also had to throw in a comment about the Cats scoring only 13 points against WSU. Griz arrogance truly knows no bounds.