G-B-U

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Re: G-B-U

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:22 pm

Good: A massive conference win!

Bad: Weber State's homecoming crowd

Ugly: Future opposing defensive coaches trying to get anything out the film for this game.

Bear Spray II
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Bear Spray II » Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:33 pm

MSU Toddler wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:10 pm
MSU starting positions from https://www.espn.com/college-football/p ... /401328068:

1: MSU 25 (Punt)
2: MSU 22 (TD)
3: MSU 30 (Punt)
4: MSU 8 (Punt)
5: MSU 9 (End of Half)
6: MSU 20 (Punt)
7: 50 off fumble (FG)
8: Weber 30 off fumble (FG)
9: MSU 25 (Punt)
10: MSU 10 (Punt)
11: MSU 10 (Punt)
12: MSU 31 (Punt)
13: MSU 45 (Punt)
14: MSU 25 (End of Game)
This. Up 6 in the second half & the defense was shutting down Weebs. We had one possession better than the 25 yard line - truly a half of field position. Why pass the ball when you can run clock & hopefully wear them down? We don't need an injured starting QB. I agree, the run game was less than imaginative, but we're spoiled from the last 4 seasons too.

MSU Toddler
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by MSU Toddler » Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:11 pm

MSU Toddler wrote:
MSU starting positions from https://www.espn.com/college-football/p ... /401328068:

13: MSU 45 (Turn Over on Downs)
Sorry - 13 was turn over on downs...

Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:21 pm

MSU Toddler wrote:

Thanks for the supporting documentation.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:22 pm

BobcatDel wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:32 pm
iaafan wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:36 pm
I'm not surprised by the lack of offense and here's why, in order:

a) Weber is very good defensively;
b) MSU had poor field position most of the game aside from the two fumble recoveries;
c) the coaches played it smart/conservative knowing the defense would hold Weber as long as the offense didn't do anything to be put them in a bad spot;
d) MSU played a bunch of really poor defenses after Wyoming and simply wasn't well-conditioned for a defense like Weber's.

This game served as a great preparation for the offense for upcoming games.
This!

Only thing I might add to your list has already been mentioned elsewhere….McKay seemed off on his throws most of the night…so why pressure/risk a pick…… which of course made it difficult to open up the offense and get more guys “out of the box”.
Yup.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:27 pm

John K wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:16 pm
mslacatfan wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:15 am
superbobcat wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:51 am
UGLY- I thought Sac State would beat the griz by more than that. Sure quiet this morning, from over there!

Ha. Yup, I was downtown Missoula last night.... bar scene was awfully quiet... some pretty sad faces.
I played golf with a buddy of mine today who is a Griz fan, although he doesn't really follow the BSC that closely. He was talking about how shocking it was that they lost to Sac yesterday, and I pointed out that Sac is actually a pretty good team, and UM has probably been a bit overrated all season, ever since the season opening win over U-Dub. He countered by saying he'd heard the Griz had something like a 90% chance of winning. I'm assuming he'd heard that from other Griz fans, and I replied that I wasn't a bit surprised that Griz fans would think that, but most Griz fans are highly delusional about how good they are, pretty much every year, but especially ever since Hauck came back, and more than ever this year. Of course, he also had to throw in a comment about the Cats scoring only 13 points against WSU. Griz arrogance truly knows no bounds.
Right, I agree with all that, but Vegas also had them winning by 19 so it actually was a pretty big upset.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

rivercat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by rivercat » Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:40 pm

catatac wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:27 pm
John K wrote:
mslacatfan wrote:
superbobcat wrote:
UGLY- I thought Sac State would beat the griz by more than that. Sure quiet this morning, from over there!

Ha. Yup, I was downtown Missoula last night.... bar scene was awfully quiet... some pretty sad faces.
I played golf with a buddy of mine today who is a Griz fan, although he doesn't really follow the BSC that closely. He was talking about how shocking it was that they lost to Sac yesterday, and I pointed out that Sac is actually a pretty good team, and UM has probably been a bit overrated all season, ever since the season opening win over U-Dub. He countered by saying he'd heard the Griz had something like a 90% chance of winning. I'm assuming he'd heard that from other Griz fans, and I replied that I wasn't a bit surprised that Griz fans would think that, but most Griz fans are highly delusional about how good they are, pretty much every year, but especially ever since Hauck came back, and more than ever this year. Of course, he also had to throw in a comment about the Cats scoring only 13 points against WSU. Griz arrogance truly knows no bounds.
Right, I agree with all that, but Vegas also had them winning by 19 so it actually was a pretty big upset.
At the start of their game, the ESPN game cast had griz at a 55% probability of winning. When you take out the human biases (betting) and look at metrics, the 2 were pretty evenly matched. Always bet against popular teams beating the spread.

Side note, ESPN had the Bobcats with a 54.8% chance of beating Weber.

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:58 pm

MSU Toddler wrote:

Look at this progression from 10 through 13. I think it was about at 12 when one of the announcers said “MSU is gradually reversing the field.” Good observation. We were. Despite the conservative offense, things were moving slowly but steadily in our direction. It’s okay to lean on the defense if that’s what wins the game. Not much concern over leaning on the offense if a bunch of points are needed and they produce. The defense and special teams also can play the game to win. The offense did hold the field position that the defense was gaining, used their share of the clock and never turned it over. Two Weber turnovers ultimately cost them the winning points. Conservative but effective.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:31 pm

MSU Toddler wrote:

Crazy. Average start the 22? Not counting fumbles.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

94VegasCat
Golden Bobcat
Location: Physically in northern Montana but my heart and soul are in Bobcat Stadium

Post by 94VegasCat » Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:53 pm

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:58 pm
MSU Toddler wrote:

Look at this progression from 10 through 13. I think it was about at 12 when one of the announcers said “MSU is gradually reversing the field.” Good observation. We were. Despite the conservative offense, things were moving slowly but steadily in our direction. It’s okay to lean on the defense if that’s what wins the game. Not much concern over leaning on the offense if a bunch of points are needed and they produce. The defense and special teams also can play the game to win. The offense did hold the field position that the defense was gaining, used their share of the clock and never turned it over. Two Weber turnovers ultimately cost them the winning points. Conservative but effective.
Slowly winning the field position game, I was surprised we didn’t punt on that 4th down and pin them by totally flipping the field.

GO CATS GO. ESG! GO CATS GO

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:09 pm

John K wrote:
mslacatfan wrote:
superbobcat wrote:

We'll that right there might be the problem. :mrgreen: I know plenty of Griz fans. Some are acquaintances, some are colleagues, some are relatives (in-laws, I didn't choose them, though none are obnoxious, thank goodness), but I can honestly say I have no Griz "buddies". I guess that makes you a bigger man than I.

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:49 am

94VegasCat wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:53 pm
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
MSU Toddler wrote:

Slowly winning the field position game, I was surprised we didn’t punt on that 4th down and pin them by totally flipping the field.
Vigen addressed that in in his post game interview. he said that he felt it was an opportunity to finish the game and "if you cant make 1 yard when you need it....." but credits WSU with a stout defensive front for making the stop.

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:02 am

cats2506 wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:49 am
94VegasCat wrote:
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
MSU Toddler wrote:

Vigen addressed that in in his post game interview. he said that he felt it was an opportunity to finish the game and "if you cant make 1 yard when you need it....." but credits WSU with a stout defensive front for making the stop.
Cole Sain, who appears to have replaced Zach Redd at LG, got blown off the ball on that play. If he makes that block, they get the first down.

Prodigal Cat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Prodigal Cat » Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:44 am

catatac wrote:
John K wrote:
mslacatfan wrote:
superbobcat wrote:

Don't take a spread to indicate what oddsmakers think will happen. A spread is the oddsmakers guess at perceived betting habits. They know the perception is that um is a otherworldly team and if they set the spread to low they might have a liability of $$ on the griz covering. By setting it high they protect themselves from griz arrogance and put them in a position to profit from it.

Brewer/Owner Copper Furrow Brewing

CatBot
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by CatBot » Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:58 am

Prodigal Cat wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:44 am
catatac wrote:
John K wrote:
mslacatfan wrote:
superbobcat wrote:

Don't take a spread to indicate what oddsmakers think will happen. A spread is the oddsmakers guess at perceived betting habits. They know the perception is that um is a otherworldly team and if they set the spread to low they might have a liability of $$ on the griz covering. By setting it high they protect themselves from griz arrogance and put them in a position to profit from it.
Good post from Prodigal. I'll just add that the line closed to -14.5 leading up to kickoff, so several smarts bets were coming in late that took Sac plus points.

94VegasCat
Golden Bobcat
Location: Physically in northern Montana but my heart and soul are in Bobcat Stadium

Post by 94VegasCat » Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:24 pm

cats2506 wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:49 am
94VegasCat wrote:
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
MSU Toddler wrote:

I heard that too and wasn’t upset by it, but personally thought it would’ve been a good time to make them go the full field like we’d been trying to do. I was good with the decision to go for it.

GO CATS GO. ESG! GO CATS GO

Team10

Post by Team10 » Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:56 pm

BobcatDel wrote:
iaafan wrote:

b) MSU had poor field position most of the game aside from the two fumble recoveries;
c) the coaches played it smart/conservative knowing the defense would hold Weber as long as the offense didn't do anything to be put them in a bad spot;
d) MSU played a bunch of really poor defenses after Wyoming and simply wasn't well-conditioned for a defense like Weber's.

This!

Only thing I might add to your list has already been mentioned elsewhere….McKay seemed off on his throws most of the night…so why pressure/risk a pick…… which of course made it difficult to open up the offense and get more guys “out of the box”.
One HUGE thing I noticed from McKay on pass plays is he is not willing to stand in and take a hit when under pressure and getting ready to throw. Go back and watch, you can fast forward to each pass play the cats ran, and see that he really pulls the string and shys away. I believe one of those time was the wide open pass to Pickering, that if he was hit in stride or didn’t have to stop and dive backwards to catch the ball was easily another 20 yards if not a TD since nobody was around him.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:16 pm

Team10 wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:56 pm
BobcatDel wrote:
iaafan wrote:

This!

One HUGE thing I noticed from McKay on pass plays is he is not willing to stand in and take a hit when under pressure and getting ready to throw. Go back and watch, you can fast forward to each pass play the cats ran, and see that he really pulls the string and shys away. I believe one of those time was the wide open pass to Pickering, that if he was hit in stride or didn’t have to stop and dive backwards to catch the ball was easily another 20 yards if not a TD since nobody was around him.
I'm assuming you're just talking about the Weber game. Might be a good reason for that: https://bobcatnation.com/bobcatbb/viewt ... 20&t=50205

I haven't noticed that he doesn't stand in the pocket, but I do recall he got hit on the TD pass to Andrew Patterson.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

Team10

Post by Team10 » Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:38 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:16 pm
Team10 wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:56 pm
BobcatDel wrote:
iaafan wrote:

This!

I'm assuming you're just talking about the Weber game. Might be a good reason for that: https://bobcatnation.com/bobcatbb/viewt ... 20&t=50205

I haven't noticed that he doesn't stand in the pocket, but I do recall he got hit on the TD pass to Andrew Patterson.
I was mistaken on the play, it wasn't that pass to Pickering. I had actually forgot about the play you are referring to. That no call was absolute BS with the ref standing right there looking at it like nothing happened. I was livid yelling at the tv after that play. That being said I would be a little reluctant for the remainder of the game to stand in a take a hit, too, if that first hit was a no call.

tetoncat
Member # Retired

Post by tetoncat » Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:15 pm

Offense didn't ball much but we scored 13. Look at other to teams scores this week.
NDSU. 20-0
Villanova. 17-10
JMU 19-3
Kennesaw 14-0

Sports is not bigger than life