Post- Game Thoughts

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post- Game Thoughts

Post by 91catAlum » Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:37 pm

Well, it was an ugly slug fest, as expected.

The MSU defense is really, really good. They seem to give up yards early in games but then lock in. They are championship caliber.

The MSU offense needs to improve. This includes execution and play calling. I understand wanting to be safe when we spent most of the 2nd half deep in our own end. But the "run middle, run middle, short throw, punt" sequence over and over and over just isn't gonna cut it against better teams.

McKay needs to play better. We didn't always have guys open but when we did he often didn't see them or made a bad throw. The one to Pickering that he caught off his shoelaces and fell down might have been a TD if McKay throws a good ball there.

Overall, this was a good, hard fought win. Weber had all the advantages, came out on fire, and absolutely had to have this game - but the Cats found a way to gut out a win, ugly as it may have been.

Game balls:
Daniel Hardy. 4 sacks and a forced fumble. Big hit on Shaheed on kick coverage. This man is having a helluva season. I wondered how we would replace Bryce Sterk's production, well now we know!
Troy Andersen. Tackling machine. How many times does he beat the ball carrier to the line of scrimmage?? So fast.
The whole defense, including Coach Banks. Great job locking it down after that first drive.
Kick coverage teams. Shaheed didn't get much of anything all night.
Blake Glessner. The kid was money tonight. His 2 FGs were the difference in the game and they were not gimmes.

onceacat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: Post- Game Thoughts

Post by onceacat » Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:54 pm

91catAlum wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:37 pm

The MSU defense is really, really good. They seem to give up yards early in games but then lock in. They are championship caliber.

The MSU offense needs to improve. This includes execution and play calling. I understand wanting to be safe when we spent most of the 2nd half deep in our own end. But the "run middle, run middle, short throw, punt" sequence over and over and over just isn't gonna cut it against better teams.

McKay needs to play better. We didn't always have guys open but when we did he often didn't see them or made a bad throw. The one to Pickering that he caught off his shoelaces and fell down might have been a TD if McKay throws a good ball there.

Overall, this was a good, hard fought win. Weber had all the advantages, came out on fire, and absolutely had to have this game - but the Cats found a way to gut out a win, ugly as it may have been.

Game balls:
Daniel Hardy. 4 sacks and a forced fumble. Big hit on Shaheed on kick coverage. This man is having a helluva season. I wondered how we would replace Bryce Sterk's production, well now we know!
Troy Andersen. Tackling machine. How many times does he beat the ball carrier to the line of scrimmage?? So fast.
The whole defense, including Coach Banks. Great job locking it down after that first drive.
Blake Glessner. The kid was money tonight. His 2 FGs were the difference in the game and they were not gimmes.
Agree with all that. I can't figure out if the ineptitude on Offense is a result of bad coaching, or a carefully thought out plan, or just a terrible night for Housewright....or maybe something else entirely.

Its always good to get a win on the road in conference play. But for those of us that thought that the Cats were a Top 5 team, its hard to polish enough turds (on the offensive side) to come out of this feeling alright. I'm going to choose to chalk up the awful offensive showing to a short week & inadequate preparation by the staff & pray that it gets better before we play better teams.

GoCats18
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by GoCats18 » Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:00 am

Put this win behind you A.S.A.P and get ready for ISU. We have a lot of work to do offensively and our schedule doesn’t get any easier.

Punters are people too!!

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:04 am

onceacat wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:54 pm
91catAlum wrote:

Game balls:
Agree with all that. I can't figure out if the ineptitude on Offense is a result of bad coaching, or a carefully thought out plan, or just a terrible night for Housewright....or maybe something else entirely.

Its always good to get a win on the road in conference play. But for those of us that thought that the Cats were a Top 5 team, its hard to polish enough turds (on the offensive side) to come out of this feeling alright. I'm going to choose to chalk up the awful offensive showing to a short week & inadequate preparation by the staff & pray that it gets better before we play better teams.
Yes, it will be interesting going forward, but I would guess there are multiple things that happened during the game...one of which is Weber has an excellent D...and we still won!

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:05 am

Offensive play calling.

Defense and kicking game.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

bobcatfan123
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by bobcatfan123 » Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:15 am

](*,) ](*,) I am excited and relieved we won tonight. But we can’t sugar coat how bad our offensive play calling and execution were. Housewright didn’t do us any favors. Weber is better than their record, but we’re 100% the better team and almost lost because of poor game plan and failure to adjust. We will lose to equally talented teams by continuing to play so so conservative on offense. Literally even some differentiating run plays would have helped.

superbobcat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by superbobcat » Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:28 am

We won on the road against atop 2 defense in the conference. Did we hammer the middle of that defense to much, probably, but we still won. I thought the fourth down call was pretty ballsy considering we were getting worked up front. We didn’t try to stretch the field very much, I wonder why? Our punt return with Willie is non existent, but we won. Again, that was a stout d-line, our oline is not what I expected to see this year. But again, we found a way to win on the road. We need to take it and celebrate not complain.

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:03 am

Jeez, if we only had Tom Brady...we could have put up 40 on em! I suppose coach has seen his share of defensive struggles. Coaching with Craig Bohl his DNA probably says play tough defense, run the ball, and the clock, if you get ahead. Don't do anything that can turn the ball over when your defense dominates.
When they scored, we answered fairly quickly. When we settled in at 7 to 7 I think his conservative style is to bet that they will be the first to make a mistake...and they were!

2024 Resume dominance

94VegasCat
Golden Bobcat
Location: Physically in northern Montana but my heart and soul are in Bobcat Stadium

Post by 94VegasCat » Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:21 am

Looking at where we started every drive, our play calling had to be conservative. Weber’s Defense is legitimately good. McKay didn’t have much time to pass and if we made an error, it gave weebs a short field. Running side to side against a fast Defense usually doesn’t work either. Quick hitters or power running plays were good enough to get it done. There were a few plays that were suspect but we won on the road against a team that’s calling card is great defense.

Coaches and kids did a great job! Great win!

GO CATS GO. ESG! GO CATS GO

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:41 am

It's weird for the weebles, they have not won at home yet.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:22 am

Did anyone else notice that the refs didn’t call anything? Taunting/holding, etc.

I’d prefer it that way over too many penalties, but man, lots of obvious penalties missed tonight.

catscat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by catscat » Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:28 am

94VegasCat wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:21 am
Looking at where we started every drive, our play calling had to be conservative. Weber’s Defense is legitimately good. McKay didn’t have much time to pass and if we made an error, it gave weebs a short field. Running side to side against a fast Defense usually doesn’t work either. Quick hitters or power running plays were good enough to get it done. There were a few plays that were suspect but we won on the road against a team that’s calling card is great defense.

Coaches and kids did a great job! Great win!
Agree. As our season plays out, this was another building/learning opportunity. There probably are more run plays in the play book, but McKay sure didn't have much time to pass. I'm happy with the win.

Can't make up my mind as to which is better - 55-21 or 48-14.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:58 am

I thought McKay did well considering the Weber pass rush. I’d like to see Mellot a bit more on offense but maybe not as QB. Dude is a unique weapon and maybe can be a slot WR or a RB in some two back sets with Ifanse. That’s probably the best defense MSU will see this year.

74 points allowed in 7 games by the defense is what has me the most excited about this year. The pass rush is top-level and Troy, Daniel, Amandre, and Callahan are playing as well as any defenders in FCS right now.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:02 am

91catAlum wrote:

Game balls:
"...beautiful slugfest..."

FIFY

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:08 am

wbtfg wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:22 am
Did anyone else notice that the refs didn’t call anything? Taunting/holding, etc.

I’d prefer it that way over too many penalties, but man, lots of obvious penalties missed tonight.
Yep. I think their second play from scrimmage on that 97 yard drive, Amandre got held plain as day - no call. Then Jaden Smith gets called for a bogus holding penalty on the next drive on the long run by Ifanse...

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:27 am

wbtfg wrote:

Yep after the first couple series I was pissed. Blatant things missed. The late hits after the whistle and standing over our guys while they were on the ground. But after watching more, and realizing that crew just didn’t like to call penalties, I loved it! Great flow to the game that otherwise had none.

rivercat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by rivercat » Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:42 am

ilovethecats wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:27 am
wbtfg wrote:

Yep after the first couple series I was pissed. Blatant things missed. The late hits after the whistle and standing over our guys while they were on the ground. But after watching more, and realizing that crew just didn’t like to call penalties, I loved it! Great flow to the game that otherwise had none.
I thought the same thing to start. Lots of tackles that were "finished" after the play was dead. Then I realized the reffing crew decided these were heavy weights, it's was going to be a slugfest, and they weren't going to be a factor in the outcome. Hats off to them.

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:42 am

wbtfg wrote:

Yes. Lots of holding by Weber is what I noticed most. For example, on Weber's scoring drive, their LT had a blatant hold as their QB scrambled left and threw a 28 yard completion.

RobertCats
Member # Retired

Post by RobertCats » Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:48 am

One thing is for sure, our bye week comes at the PERFECT time. Take care of business vs Idaho State at home, then take a hard look at the offense and GET HEALTHY!

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:12 am

While the scramble to figure out how to watch the game on ESPNU was an annoyance, I thought the actual game production by ESPN was well done. I think this was better exposure than playoff games aired on ESPN. The announcers actually talked about this game and weren't continuously promoting and selling (during playoff games) the upcoming FBS bowl games.

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act