Post- Game Thoughts

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Lord Vigo
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Re: Post- Game Thoughts

Post by Lord Vigo » Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:40 pm

I wouldn't necessarily defend the extremity of the conservatism on offense in this game, but I do understand it.

My very confident assumption is that Vigen came into this game with the conviction that if the Cats didn't have a giveaway, they would win.

And the results vindicated that approach. McKay didn't have it last night. Whether he was shook up by big hits early, confused by the looks he was getting, or some combination thereof-- you saw late why they weren't letting him open things up. He nearly cost them the game with that would-be pick deep in the Cats own end.

My main issue with the offensive approach was that they didn't use their other options in the running game. Mellott and Elliott got very little run. If you're going to go run, run, short pass every drive, what are you out of using more Mellott? He would at least have forced the Weber defense to account for another body.

But this was a big boy win.

You're on the road, at night, on a short week, against a ranked opponent coming off a bye... you have to be good to win in that spot.

You can't say enough about the defense. My goodness.

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:43 pm

If hardy keeps playing like this, he will be on the short list for the Buchanan award.

FTG- GO CATS GO!

imacat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by imacat » Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:51 pm

Lord Vigo wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:40 pm
I wouldn't necessarily defend the extremity of the conservatism on offense in this game, but I do understand it.

My very confident assumption is that Vigen came into this game with the conviction that if the Cats didn't have a giveaway, they would win.

And the results vindicated that approach. McKay didn't have it last night. Whether he was shook up by big hits early, confused by the looks he was getting, or some combination thereof-- you saw late why they weren't letting him open things up. He nearly cost them the game with that would-be pick deep in the Cats own end.

My main issue with the offensive approach was that they didn't use their other options in the running game. Mellott and Elliott got very little run. If you're going to go run, run, short pass every drive, what are you out of using more Mellott? He would at least have forced the Weber defense to account for another body.

You're on the road, at night, on a short week, against a ranked opponent coming off a bye... you have to be good to win in that spot.

It is very easy to coach in hindsight. That said, I do think Mellott should have been used more. At the very least it would have given the defense something else to think about.

codecat
Member # Retired

Post by codecat » Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:58 pm

Rich K wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:12 am
While the scramble to figure out how to watch the game on ESPNU was an annoyance, I thought the actual game production by ESPN was well done. I think this was better exposure than playoff games aired on ESPN. The announcers actually talked about this game and weren't continuously promoting and selling (during playoff games) the upcoming FBS bowl games.
I thought the announcers did a good job too - they had done some homework, were equally versed with each team, and actually had some enthusiasm for the game and the FCS.

London Bridge is falling down, falling down, falling down, London Bridge is falling down, Bye-Bye Fauci!

imacat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by imacat » Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:09 pm

codecat wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:58 pm
Rich K wrote:
While the scramble to figure out how to watch the game on ESPNU was an annoyance, I thought the actual game production by ESPN was well done. I think this was better exposure than playoff games aired on ESPN. The announcers actually talked about this game and weren't continuously promoting and selling (during playoff games) the upcoming FBS bowl games.
I thought the announcers did a good job too - they had done some homework, were equally versed with each team, and actually had some enthusiasm for the game and the FCS.
I enjoyed the Tom Wistrcill interview.

Lord Vigo
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Lord Vigo » Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:27 pm

imacat wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:51 pm
Lord Vigo wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:40 pm

It is very easy to coach in hindsight. That said, I do think Mellott should have been used more. At the very least it would have given the defense something else to think about.
Well that particular criticism wasn't hindsight-- at least not for me. I was hoping they would put Mellott in on every drive of the second half.

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:39 pm

The way McKay was throwing last night, I’m not sure getting more creative/aggressive would’ve been a good option. He had several almost picks.

It was not a pretty offensive game, but they won against a good team, away from home, on a short week, against a team coming off of a bye. That’s a success. Just win baby.

The defense was put in bad situations all night, and could hardly have done better. The one time they were put in an excellent position, they allowed a 97 yard drive for a TD. Football is weird.

Tommy Football needs the ball more, especially if all the game plan is, is to run the ball. The kid makes plays.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:40 pm

tdub wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:03 pm
Here’s the deal. How many times have we seen this running game get stuffed for 2 1/2 quarters and then those zero and 1 yd gains turn into 5, 6, 7 yards a pop in the late 3rd and into the 4th quarter. They delivered body blow after body blow…and Weber had some stout abs come to find out. Tip of the hat to Weber and a tough defense. I noticed their speed and strong tackling. Those underneath routes routinely turn into 1st downs, except Weber did a good job. Long developing plays don’t work in a game like that and the risk far outweighs the reward, especially when your defense is dominating. So while everyone is complaining about play calling, a good defense will make almost every call look bad. What do you think Weber is saying about play calling? Meanwhile, we give credit to our awesome defense.
I don’t believe in the philosophy to keep pounding until they are wore down, especially when Weber is known for how good they are up front. If something is not working, you do something else. This was a great win, but the offensive play calling has to improve.

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:41 pm

codecat wrote:
Rich K wrote:
They were enthusiastic and unknowledgeable. Their announcing on the fumble was just bad. There was one play where they were talking about what a nice throw McKay had…it was a 3 yard throw on 3rd and 8 from a relatively clean pocket. They just seemed dumb to me.

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:42 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:40 pm
tdub wrote:
Here’s the deal. How many times have we seen this running game get stuffed for 2 1/2 quarters and then those zero and 1 yd gains turn into 5, 6, 7 yards a pop in the late 3rd and into the 4th quarter. They delivered body blow after body blow…and Weber had some stout abs come to find out. Tip of the hat to Weber and a tough defense. I noticed their speed and strong tackling. Those underneath routes routinely turn into 1st downs, except Weber did a good job. Long developing plays don’t work in a game like that and the risk far outweighs the reward, especially when your defense is dominating. So while everyone is complaining about play calling, a good defense will make almost every call look bad. What do you think Weber is saying about play calling? Meanwhile, we give credit to our awesome defense.
I don’t believe in the philosophy to keep pounding until they are wore down, especially when Weber is known for how good they are up front. If something is not working, you do something else. This was a great win, but the offensive play calling has to improve.
You know what wasn’t working? McKay’s passing. He was just off. He was bad.

You know what would have killed the team last night? Would’ve probably caused a loss? An interception, which almost happened a couple times.

The game plan was boring, not overly successful in terms of yardage, but it was good enough to win.

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:43 pm

superbobcat wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:08 pm
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:55 pm
AFCAT wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:16 am
superbobcat wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:23 am
Beating them,defending conference champs at home and on their homecoming, on a short week, in a place that is difficult to travel to, and they were coming off a bye; I think to many are too critical of what didn’t go great. This win is HUGE!

I have always felt officials are what they are. Sometimes everything works out cleanly and sometime you have to battle through. One thing is for sure: the refs letting them play and the stay in the middle of the field style of both teams made the game go by really fast!
Except the "difficult to travel to", I totally agree.
50-minute flight, directly to Ogden.
My bad, thought I read where they had to bus into Ogden.
Fake news. :lol:

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:50 pm

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:42 pm
Cataholic wrote:
tdub wrote:

You know what would have killed the team last night? Would’ve probably caused a loss? An interception, which almost happened a couple times.

The game plan was boring, not overly successful in terms of yardage, but it was good enough to win.
I didn’t say anything about passing…. But I did think we could have run the ball to the outside once or twice…. Maybe even run an option the outside with Mellot (you remember that actually went for 8 yards when called last night). Let me repeat for you though. We were 1-14 on 3rd down conversions. Many of those were 3 to 5 yards.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:52 pm

imacat wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:09 pm
codecat wrote:
Rich K wrote:
I enjoyed the Tom Wistrcill interview.
The announcers were top notch. They enjoyed the game and weren’t afraid to question some of the coaching decisions. Very knowledgeable guys and actually did some research on the teams before coming to town. Hope to see them again! Maybe in Cheney!!

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:15 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:50 pm
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
tdub wrote:

I didn’t say anything about passing…. But I did think we could have run the ball to the outside once or twice…. Maybe even run an option the outside with Mellot (you remember that actually went for 8 yards when called last night). Let me repeat for you though. We were 1-14 on 3rd down conversions. Many of those were 3 to 5 yards.
Sorry, when somebody says they don’t believe in the philosophy of keep pounding until they’re ground down, I assume they’re talking about running the football.

Personally, I’m not sure running outside the tackles against a fast defense is a great strategy either. They ran a few jet sweeps with limited success. I agree that I would’ve liked to see Tommy play more.

There were two third downs that were 3rd and 5 or less that they didn’t convert. Where I come from, two isn’t close to many.

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:42 pm

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:15 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:50 pm
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
tdub wrote:

Sorry, when somebody says they don’t believe in the philosophy of keep pounding until they’re ground down, I assume they’re talking about running the football.

Personally, I’m not sure running outside the tackles against a fast defense is a great strategy either. They ran a few jet sweeps with limited success. I agree that I would’ve liked to see Tommy play more.

There were two third downs that were 3rd and 5 or less that they didn’t convert. Where I come from, two isn’t close to many.
There are a lot of options in the power run game. You could give Ifanse a lead blocker. You could try spreading out the D. Run some option (which worked when they tried it)

There’s a lot of ways to play “drag them into the deep end” that don’t involve the exact same off tackle run.

It looked to me like the O got back on the bus when they decided to pack it in on the last drive of the first half. They looked ok up til then…but absurdly bad after that.

The Great Catsby
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by The Great Catsby » Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:45 pm

A win is a win, they had 2 weeks to prepare for us at home, this is their season basically, we had a short week yada yada. But if we didn't force those two turnovers that turned into field goals how do we score points? Our defense is elite, but that offense better start doing something. Should easily win next week. But 13 won't cut it against EWU.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:53 pm

Coming into the season I thought it was likely that we'd lose at least two of the three big conference road games. Now I think we'll win at least two of three. That's progress. Nobody realistically expected us to be Frisco-bound this year.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

FYI
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by FYI » Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:58 pm

In all my years of being a part of and watching Bobcat football I do believe this is the fastest defensive unit I have seen.

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:02 pm

The Great Catsby wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:45 pm
A win is a win, they had 2 weeks to prepare for us at home, this is their season basically, we had a short week yada yada. But if we didn't force those two turnovers that turned into field goals how do we score points? Our defense is elite, but that offense better start doing something. Should easily win next week. But 13 won't cut it against EWU.
13 won’t cut it against EWU.

Weber’s defense is a lot better than EWU’s.

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:13 pm

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:02 pm
The Great Catsby wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:45 pm
13 won’t cut it against EWU.

Weber’s defense is a lot better than EWU’s.
People keep writing that… but the stats don’t bear it out..and neither does on the field performance. EWU only gives up a half yard per play more than Weber. They have the exact same red zone D %…EWU has more takeaways.

Weber’s D may well be better. But not a lot better.

Anyone who’s counting on that to level the playing field is going to be sorely disappointed.