The Official-unofficial Bobcat-Weber st gameday thread

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

bobcatbob24
BobcatNation Redshirt

Re: The Official-unofficial Bobcat-Weber st gameday thread

Post by bobcatbob24 » Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:07 am

Great win! Defense wins championships. Cats win 2 games at home and we are playoff bound.

bobcatfan123
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by bobcatfan123 » Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:10 am

](*,) ](*,) I am excited and relieved we won tonight. But we can’t sugar coat how bad our offensive play calling and execution were. Housewright didn’t do us any favors. Weber it’s now 2-4, they are not a great team. They are better than their record, but we’re 100% the better team and almost lost because of poor game plan and failure to adjust. We will lose to equally talented teams by continuing to play so so conservative on offense. Literally even some differentiating run plays would have helped.
Last edited by bobcatfan123 on Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:18 am, edited 2 times in total.

MinnesotaBobcat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by MinnesotaBobcat » Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:11 am

We lost to UND in October of 2019 and our offense (with the exception of Andersen ) looked just as bad as today. That team only went on to have the most successful playoff run since 1984. That was two good defenses putting on a show tonight, and I’ll take a 13-6 win.

MTnative
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by MTnative » Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:11 am

The Cats just went into Ogden on short rest and beat Weber at their own game. Think about that for a minute.

JDoub
Member # Retired

Post by JDoub » Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:23 am

RobertCats wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:34 pm
WalkOn79 wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:13 pm
RobertCats wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:46 pm
This win is like kissing your cousin
Really? go to bed………
My apologies if I offended you. I was simply trying to pull off a Coach Bob Greenism and say I have mixed feelings about this one. I am thrilled we finally put Weber away and got the win but at no point was it pretty.

I will go to my room now and think about what I have done.
0:18 mark

"It's kinda like watching your mother-in-law go off a cliff in your brand new Cadillac. You got mixed feelings.”

[media] [/media]

PHAT CAT
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by PHAT CAT » Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:33 am

bobcatfan123 wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:10 am
](*,) ](*,) I am excited and relieved we won tonight. But we can’t sugar coat how bad our offensive play calling and execution were. Housewright didn’t do us any favors. Weber it’s now 2-4, they are not a great team. They are better than their record, but we’re 100% the better team and almost lost because of poor game plan and failure to adjust. We will lose to equally talented teams by continuing to play so so conservative on offense. Literally even some differentiating run plays would have helped.
Lol......... Thanks coach no one.

utucats
Member # Retired

Post by utucats » Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:11 am

This is a win win for us. A victory and, as far as I know, nobody was victimized by a Weber coach.

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:30 am

utucats wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:11 am
This is a win win for us. A victory and, as far as I know, nobody was victimized by a Weber coach.
A great observation! 8)

Catfanatic84

Post by Catfanatic84 » Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:03 am

Thankful for the W. Defense was outstanding...offense a bit vanilla....and hats off to Glessner and Leighton. I was concerned about turning over the reins for the kicking/punting to a couple of freshman...those two are delivering. Glad we've got 'em for 3 more years.

84CatGrad

Post by 84CatGrad » Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:25 am

You know who didn't show up in this game? Weber return and receiving stud Rashid Shaheed. How many times did he fair catch? Even with a few minutes left he called for a fair catch when his team desperately needed a big play.

Pucket21
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Pucket21 » Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:37 am

All we'll care about in a week is the W. The O will work there butts off and this team be better for the experience gained. Thanks for the Greenisms. GO CATS

ND0479

Post by ND0479 » Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:09 am

utcatfan wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:39 pm
grizzh8r wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:37 pm
083190 wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:32 pm
1 of 14 on 3rd down. Offensive line needs to get better! Plain and simple.
No. O line played well, Weber stacked the box all night long yet Housewright kept pounding the middle. They were daring MSU to throw the ball.

Weber's interior D was almost impenetrable after the first drive of the game.
McKay wasn't doing us any favors either, under thrown or thrown behind the wide receiver it seemed almost on every throw
That’s been a problem all season. Really not on sync w the WRs…which sounds dumb to say, given he’s one of the top QB’s in the BSC. He’s really going to have to step it up now that we’re finished w the cupcakes.

rivercat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by rivercat » Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:10 am

Can anyone guess what happens after one team takes a lead?

The other team has to score or they lose.

That was the game plan fellas.

Kinda like an old fashioned championship heavy weight boxing match. Once you win enough rounds, the goal isn't to KO the opponent anymore, it's to keep from getting KO'd and win by decision.

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

MountainCat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by MountainCat » Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:20 am

I think we all realize how significant the win was, this was a major test and we passed. Barely. For me, I’m thrilled with the win but also look at it from the angle that championship teams play championship ball on both sides to compliment each other and if last night was a preview into what our “Championship” mode is, we’re in deep trouble… Defense wins championships for sure and ours is looking absolutely top end right now, but the offense has to contribute and go blow for blow. This one will be a good building block for our team, players and coaches alike. Stoked at where we are on the season!

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:24 am

MountainCat wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:20 am
I think we all realize how significant the win was, this was a major test and we passed. Barely. For me, I’m thrilled with the win but also look at it from the angle that championship teams play championship ball on both sides to compliment each other and if last night was a preview into what our “Championship” mode is, we’re in deep trouble… Defense wins championships for sure and ours is looking absolutely top end right now, but the offense has to contribute and go blow for blow. This one will be a good building block for our team, players and coaches alike. Stoked at where we are on the season!
Nothing you said is wrong. However, I’ll maintain that this team will continue to get better over the next six weeks. But you are correct. If that offense we saw last night is as good as it gets, and we don’t have anything else that can be done in the next two months; you’re exactly right.

ND0479

Post by ND0479 » Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:38 am

Long Time Cat wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:06 pm
I’ll put in an early nomination for Banks as assistant coach of the year!
Gotta be between him and Max McCaffrey

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:39 am

ilovethecats wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:24 am
MountainCat wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:20 am
Nothing you said is wrong. However, I’ll maintain that this team will continue to get better over the next six weeks. But you are correct. If that offense we saw last night is as good as it gets, and we don’t have anything else that can be done in the next two months; you’re exactly right.
I think an important point to make is that other than in the 1st quarter last night and the final last-ditch drive against Wyoming, MSU has not had to play from behind at all this season or needed to win a shootout-type of game. MSU has been noticably conservative on offense especially on third and long, but if the goal is to avoid costly turnovers and trust the defense to hold the lead, well it has certainly worked up to this point! I'm sure they'll have some wrinkles up the sleeve for the final stretch against EWU, what appears to be a pretty good Idaho team, and UM.

utucats
Member # Retired

Post by utucats » Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:42 am

rivercat wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:10 am

Kinda like an old fashioned championship heavy weight boxing match. Once you win enough rounds, the goal isn't to KO the opponent anymore, it's to keep from getting KO'd and win by decision.
I don’t believe that the game plan was to keep going 3 and out and sending our defense back on the field to try and keep ahold of the lead. It worked but, let’s be honest, the offense had a rough night.

rivercat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by rivercat » Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:48 am

utucats wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:42 am
rivercat wrote:

I don’t believe that the game plan was to keep going 3 and out and sending our defense back on the field to try and keep ahold of the lead. It worked but, let’s be honest, the offense had a rough night.
I think the game plan, once we had the lead, was to minimize passing and don't run plays that may lose yards. By default they ran up the middle.

I'm not saying the plan was 3 and out over and over again. But I do think once we were up, the plan was to not let them score more than trying to score.

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:50 am

utucats wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:42 am
rivercat wrote:

Gotta agree with u there..... there is not a coach in the world that would gameplan to go 3 and out every single possession of the 2nd half...

The offensive play calling was the worst I have ever seen, in any game, at any level. Ha.

Like I have said in other posts though. It’s a HUGE win no matter how ya cut it.

FTG- GO CATS GO!